MERGED-->Original of the Species Super thread!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can someone explain how the studio version compares with the ipod piano version?

Is it exactly the same feeling, except with other instruments? umm. just please compare.:drool:

AquariumDrinker said:
I really like the song but this has been killing me all day: when Bono sings "I'll give you everything you want", I swear I've heard that exact same melody in a Beatles or Lennon song. But I can't fiugre out which one. It's really bugging me.

I think of Lennon singing "Nobody told me there'd be days like these"

starsgoblue said:
I thought Edge said Bono wrote it for his children, whom Bono is Godfather of.

This song has taken a huge amount of emotional signifigance to me as my best friend of 8 years has just found out she's pregnant and has asked me to be the child's Godmother.

All I could think about was this child that I haven't even seen yet. I already am so in love with this unborn person who's going to be a beautiful gift in my life...and this song just speaks to what I am hoping I can express to my future Godchild...:sad:

Aww that's so sweet stars!

wow......goosebumps anyone? the ipod piano version was good enough, but the album version is unbelievable. my favorite U2 song since One.

the song inspired some wordage on my part (i always write little poemy thingies for my songs of the day):

From across the room, in the fullness of the noonday heat
Cast a glance and catch a heart
See a smile drown out the shades of hurt
Affirm the truth you've always known,
the wish you've long since earned

It is a new age melodic masterpiece which will be praised by all those with an ear for the tune........

i've had my first listen to the new stuff, and i am blown away. this song stands out, though. it's beautiful and soaring. it's gonna bring the house down when they play it live.

:drool:

i love the beat and the piano (edge plays alot of piano on this album, doesn't he?) and man, edge just makes the song that much better with his great gutiar!!

"Keepin you love, under control..." :drool: :drool: :drool:

God Part III said:

Uhm - where did I miss the Beatles resemblance?

The melody is very Beatlesque. And, if you isolate the guitar in the second pre-chorus (around the 2-minute mark), there's a slide part that is a la Lennon style-wise.

Yep, this is topping my list thus far. I can't wait to hear this live as well where it'll be a bit more stripped down (with only four instruments), but not as stripped as the piano version during the Apple performance. I do like what Bono's done vocally live already.

It captures the feelings I have for the perfect person that many of us know in our lives but have had no way until now to adequately express. Devastating perfection.

Love the song, but the lyric "I'll give you everything you want, except the thing that you want" bothers me.

What the hell does it mean?

Is it just a recycling of "I gave you everything you ever wanted...it wasn't what you wanted" from So Cruel?

Please help.

i was thinking the same thing, but the So Cruel one makes sense ...still scratching my head over he OOTS one.

Ahhhh the line "Some people have way too much confidence....baby..........baby" now that is a great line. He must be singing about himself there.:wink:

macphister said:
Love the song, but the lyric "I'll give you everything you want, except the thing that you want" bothers me.

What the hell does it mean?

Is it just a recycling of "I gave you everything you ever wanted...it wasn't what you wanted" from So Cruel?

Please help.

This is the lyric that took me a few moments to understand. As a parent, speaking to your child...it is an issue of protection. A child wants freedom, the ability to learn, and make mistakes on their own. Independence. As a parent, you want to protect, if not control, and guide your children...to keep them safe. Bono, being the parent that I know he is, wants to protect his daughters at all times...they want to break out and live...feel...and experience life. It is at the core of the parental struggle...in my mind.

Could be way off base...but that is my take...:cool:

ADecentMelody said:

The melody is very Beatlesque. And, if you isolate the guitar in the second pre-chorus (around the 2-minute mark), there's a slide part that is a la Lennon style-wise.

Yep, this is topping my list thus far. I can't wait to hear this live as well where it'll be a bit more stripped down (with only four instruments), but not as stripped as the piano version during the Apple performance. I do like what Bono's done vocally live already.

I was listening to "Strawberry Fields Forever"...a lot of the same strings in there also resemble OOTS. All together, as a big Beatles fan, I thought right away that OOTS is VERY Beatlesesque.

Back
Top Bottom