MERGED->Official BRUSSELS got fucked thread+The most boring setlist so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I don't think Vertigo is crap, but I do agree with you that it's crap playing it twice. It's a crowd pleaser, that's all. It doesn't help this boring setlist, though.

U2Man said:

Well, I wasn't there. Can't judge the performance. It's the setlist we are complaining about. Why are they promoting AB? I thought HTDAAB was the new album. Where's Crumbs? Haven't they had around about 14 days to rehearse it? Why not just ONE single song that they haven't played endlessly before on this tour?

They were playing it safe for the first show in Europe!

Almost everyone in the European Press is going to be at the FIRST show of the tour, so once the reviews are all good they can fuck around with the setlist and whip out Electrical Storm and Crumbs.... and Fast Cars? :)

But for the 1st show they played it safe so as to not have a Staring At The Sun incident like in Vegas for Popmart (what if they tried Crumbs and it bit them in the ass?)

Think about it, usually the 1st night in a city is the classic setlist (that's usually the show that gets reviewed by most of the press, few papers review the next shows in the same city) and then they mix it up... take every city in the US that had more than 1 show!

Just be patient... I know that by the time I see them in Munich they will have Mercy in there :p

All the shows are already sold out, they don't have to care a single bit about reviews that will be forgotten tomorrow, anyhow.

kellyahern said:

Have you been to a show were Vertigo was played twice? It was really exciting and the audience erupted during Seattle 2. How can you judge it if you haven't been there?

dear kelly,

that is not the point, there is no reason to play vertigo twice it is not like their best song ever..

I'm a musician myself and I'm dissapointed in the lack of experimenting...they CAN do better..we've seen it before..

this setlist is a great setlist.

until the end of the world AND zoo station. has that happened yet? no.

have they played crumbs yet? no.
why would they be expected to play it if it hasnt been played yet?

who gives a crap if wild horses or ultraviolet is more rare. theyve played wild horses once in the past 13 years and theyre supposed to play it at the opening show of the european leg?

some of you guys are nuts.

ps vertigo twice is awesome. i saw it three times and loved it all three times i saw it. i saw bad close twice, that was quite amazing as well. i saw 40 close 3 times and it was the worst closer of the 3.

bort269 said:

They were playing it safe for the first show in Europe!

Almost everyone in the European Press is going to be at the FIRST show of the tour, so once the reviews are all good they can fuck around with the setlist and whip out Electrical Storm and Crumbs.... and Fast Cars? :)

But for the 1st show they played it safe so as to not have a Staring At The Sun incident like in Vegas for Popmart (what if they tried Crumbs and it bit them in the ass?)

Think about it, usually the 1st night in a city is the classic setlist (that's usually the show that gets reviewed by most of the press, few papers review the next shows in the same city) and then they mix it up... take every city in the US that had more than 1 show!

You are totaly right bu why not play out of control or i will follow or gloria instead of vertigo and they "forgot" 40 also...they can dream these songs by nowit's their job you know
Just be patient... I know that by the time I see them in Munich they will have Mercy in there :p

U2Man said:
All the shows are already sold out, they don't have to care a single bit about reviews that will be forgotten tomorrow, anyhow.

It's not that!
Shit... POPMART sold out all across Europe but was still called a failure!

U2 could sell out shows playing Passengers songs!

They want the title of GREATEST ROCK BAND ALIVE and in order to achieve that, you need articles around the world saying how much you kick ass!

Then you get all the buzz and hype and everyone's all "damn... I wish I had gotten U2 tickets... they are still kicking ass after 25 years!"

just my thoughts

Until the End of the World, oh yes, that was a new one, never heard that before in a U2 show in the last 13 years. And Zoo Station, yes, such a great tune, that was never played in the American leg.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
Until the End of the World, oh yes, that was a new one, never heard that before in a U2 show in the 13 years. And Zoo Station, yes, such a great tune, that was never played in the American leg.

Face it, this opening night was a big disappointment to all of us.

considering until the end of the world was only played 4 times or so on the first leg, yes, it may be surprising.

who the fuck cares if it was played on the american leg? why would they revamp the setlist? just because europeans know whats coming because of the internet and have seen all the "american setlists"?

to say that it is a disappointment is absoultly laughable...

and how the hell can you be disappointed if you werent even there???

U2Man said:
Until the End of the World, oh yes, that was a new one, never heard that before in a U2 show in the last 13 years. And Zoo Station, yes, such a great tune, that was never played in the American leg.

Face it, this opening night was a big disappointment to all of us.

U2 man, were you at the show?

I guarentee you that the July 31st show in Denmark will be a different setlist!

You don't kick ass if you don't dare to do so. POPMART was called a failure because they messed up in America and THEN started to play the old, safe tunes in America and in Europe. They got bad reviews for doing this. Not because of the new tunes. It's the same thing happening now.

ok cool, well since U2 is such a failure and disappointment on the vertigo tour mind selling me your tickets? ill gladly take a plane flight to europe knowing i have tickets.

Alright THE SETLIST was a disappointment to all of us. We need surprises and variation.

you'll never be surprised if you read the internet for setlists. ever.

you know whats been played at every show

you know what theyve been rehearsing for cryin out loud

and you want be surprised?

they will play crumbs and more new songs...this discussion about setlist doesn*t make sense cause no one never satisfied with setlist...if you have great time in concert ,probably YOU will forget about some songs whch aren*t played...ALL IN ALL SETLIST IS EXCELLENT ...and VERTIGO is rocker and it deserves to play twice,because this song can SHAKE STADIUM!!!!!!!!!

I didn't say U2 was a failure or a disappointment - if I thought so, I wouldn't be in here, believe me. It's the SETLIST ON THE OPENING NIGHT, I am talking about, nothing else.

U2Man said:
Too few, too traditional, NO surprises, nothing new, very short list, just plain boring.

Too few... your list was missing 2 songs

Too traditional... only if you knew what they played in the US

NO Surprises... only if you knew what they rehearsed

very short list... your list missed 2 songs

nothing new... ONLY IF YOU SAW THEM IN THE US!!!!!!!!

Imagine any NORMAL U2 fan (if this is even possible)

They didn't read EVERYTHING about what Adam said, what was rehearsed, what they played at every different show in the US.

You are going to your first U2 show in 4 years... and they play:

The Cry
The Electric Co.
Running To Stand Still
Zoo Station

You are shitting your pants!!

How do I know this?

Because my first Vertigo show was in San Jose and I didn't read ANYTHING ABOUT the Mexico rehersals, Vancouver ones, or any shows before San Jose and I couldn't believe what I was hearing!!!! It was amazing!!

Then I saw San Jose #2 and heard other crazy songs and Original of the Species and was in heaven!

My point is you fucked yourself by reading everything about it... but to any NORMAL U2 fan, this show was awesome and I'm sure they were jumping up and down to Vertigo BOTH times... but that is a seperate argument that has been argued to death...

"Face it, this opening night was a big disappointment to all of us."

Face it... us doesn't fucking agree with you!

You are entitled to your opinion, but don't drag us into your camp!

bort269 said:

They didn't read EVERYTHING about what Adam said, what was rehearsed, what they played at every different show in the US.

The Cry
The Electric Co.
Running To Stand Still
Zoo Station

How do I know this?

Because my first Vertigo show was in San Jose and I didn't read ANYTHING ABOUT the Mexico rehersals, Vancouver ones, or any shows before San Jose and I couldn't believe what I was hearing!!!! It was amazing!!

Then I saw San Jose #2 and heard other crazy songs and Original of the Species and was in heaven!

My point is you fucked yourself by reading everything about it... but to any NORMAL U2 fan, this show was awesome and I'm sure they were jumping up and down to Vertigo BOTH times... but that is a seperate argument that has been argued to death...

:up:

Alright, I withdraw the sentence "Face it, this opening night was a big disappointment to all of us."

StlElevation said:
this setlist is a great setlist.

some of you guys are nuts.

Isn't it nice that we can have a grown up discussion about such a light subject..

StlElevation said:
ok cool, well since U2 is such a failure and disappointment on the vertigo tour mind selling me your tickets? ill gladly take a plane flight to europe knowing i have tickets.

My thoughts too. I'd love to travel to Europe.... anywhere in Europe. So if you got 2 tickets to a show and you think U2 sucks, give them to me and StlElevation. U2 is playing the show for the 50,000 people in the stadium, not for the people at home at the setlist parties. The only way it's interesting to read setlists is if they play something different or change things up. But I'm sure the 50,000 people at the show enjoyed the show cause they were there hearing and feeling it, not just reading a growing list of songs on a message board.

Sure they've played Pride at nearly every gig since 1984.... but maybe tonight it was a really energetic version of Pride, and maybe Bono absolutely nailed the chorus, or maybe the crowd participation was very loud and enthusiastic. There are so many reasons the audience can enjoy a song like Pride. But for all you people reading the list, all you get out it is seeing the word PRIDE, and thinking "that song has been played at every gig since 1984!"

U2Man said:
Alright, I withdraw the sentence "Face it, this opening night was a big disappointment to all of us."

then we are cool, my friend! :)

I will say it again... unless you were at the show and dissapointed by the SETLIST... don't worry.

By the time you see them, it will be different and I hope you are satisfied and enjoy the entire show!

Just don't expect too much... I was seriously hoping for Fast Cars (since i never read anything) but completely forgot about it until a few days after the show... "oh yeah... damn, they didn't play that!"

bort269 said:

The Cry
The Electric Co.
Running To Stand Still
Zoo Station

How do I know this?

Okay let's imagine for a second a world without internet and no promises of bandmembers that they were gonna change their shitty tour-attitude....... Then you You are 100% correct with this statement...there is no denying that..

however this doesn't jusitfy vertigo being played twice..come on people that is insane when you have out of control i will follow gloria waiting there beneath the stage to be played...

I'd like to repeat myself: Can't judge the performance, I'm only speaking about the setlist. And yes, I still love U2.

Im sure the show was superb, judging by the stills ive seen of that huge stage setup, US shows ive heard etc, but vertigo twice might be taking the piss!

The Cry
The Electric Co.
Running To Stand Still
Zoo Station

again this is totaly true!
can't argue with you there...I flew to Chicago to watch them being a fan for over 17 years and it bugs me that their tourattitude has never changed that much...they have so many great songs...their just is no need for pride every night..you have 2 songs you can not do without being u2 and that is one and streets..7 new songs and spice it up a little...I'm totaly aware of the insanity that is caused by being in a stadium and seeing them live..still a dissapointing set I'm sorry:(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom