MERGED ----> Making the album in Morocco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:banghead:

I posted this response at another forum already, so I'll just be lazy and paste it here:

I thought this news has been pretty clear since day 1...I've regarded it as garbage, however, and as the usual, overly-modest anti-Bonoisms that the rest of the band gravitates towards.

It is for the new album. Really. And even if it's not, some will get used for that purpose. Let's not complicate things.

onozomg.gif

Last edited:
i love the way the band arent even allowed to try and do some work, without the usual "yep another delay" "there lost alright" type quotes,

maybe they do actually just want to try and get some songs down before saying "yes we are recording a new album", or is that what some people would rather them do? lie to them?

mikal said:

i wouldn't worry. i think this just goes along with the whole "get lost in the music" strategy.

They said this with Rubin I think, and last December. How much more getting lost in the music do they need ?

U2girl said:

They said this with Rubin I think, and last December. How much more getting lost in the music do they need ?

as they've proved with their last two outings, they seem to need quite a bit.

U2girl said:

I'm glad you asked:

April 2007
(Laughs) It's early days.
We're enjoying writing songs at the moment.
We're working on music with no particular ambition of where it's gonna go.
That's kinda the fun thing where you just litterally just making music for the sake of it.
You're not thinking about it in any other way and we're all enjoying this phase.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/fv.htm...-8de1-7b5233514aa9&f=imbot_us_default&fg=copy

The Edge:
...But for the moment, we're just loving getting lost in the music."

http://www.atu2.com/newalbum/

March 2007:
The guitarist [The Edge] also confirms that U2 are in the midst of recording a new album. “We’re working on new songs and getting lost in the music,” he says.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...ate-the-edge-talks-rock-auction-new-u2-album/

May 2006:
I would like to thin out my schedule in terms of the politics and activism, and just get lost in music again.

http://www.atu2.com/newalbum/

We can add "get lost in the music" to "The Edge is on fire" in the U2 pantheon. And yes, not setting a deadline is one way not to miss a deadline.

I'm glad Edge thinks the band has the luxury of all the time it wants to record the next album. I disagree. Things are moving faster these days, not slower. While the band is clever enough to keep tossing beads from its float to the crowd, in the form of U2 by U2, Saints, WITS, U2 18 (and we all know how well that did) and soon U2 3D, there is nothing that takes the place of a new album full of new music. Unless you're Elvis, it's really hard to keep showing up on the Billboard and iTunes charts with old stuff.

September 26, 2006: MTV news interviews Edge in New York, and reports that U2 plans to continue working on new songs with Rick Rubin, though no date is set for a new album. Says Edge:

"We've been doing a lot of work with Rick, and at this point, it seems to be going very well, so my guess would be yes, he's going to be producing our new record," Edge said. "We're still in the early stages, so it's difficult to say what will happen or what it will be like, but we've really been enjoying the sessions, and I don't see any reason why they should stop."

September 17, 2006: In a recent interview with TIME magazine, Edge was asked "if there's a new U2 album around the bend?" His reply:

"Noooo. Nowhere near. We're here with [producer] Rick Rubin and enjoying the chemistry, but we're nowhere near a timetable or anything. I will say that we're having a good time. And I have a feeling that because of Rick's presence it's going to sound very different. When people spend time with it, they'll pick up on a different spirit, and I think it is a departure. We don't want to spend a whole lot of time on this album, so hopefully we'll get on a roll and get it out there. But really, it's early days."

With all this music, you'd think we're getting a triple album.

LemonMelon said:
:banghead:

I posted this response at another forum already, so I'll just be lazy and paste it here:

Quote:
I thought this news has been pretty clear since day 1...I've regarded it as garbage, however, and as the usual, overly-modest anti-Bonoisms that the rest of the band gravitates towards.

It is for the new album. Really. And even if it's not, some will get used for that purpose. Let's not complicate things.

:yes: "Nail, meet hammer."

They ran into all kinds of shit while making the last album. It's said it was the hardest to make/most argument-inspiring since Achtung. Psychologically, I think it makes sense that they wouldn't want to openly & officially label things as "making a new album." It puts all kinds of stress on the process. If you're "making a new album," you're expected to put stuff out in a decent amount of time, so you feel that crunch; you tell yourself you want stuff to sound perfect now, so you fuss over details instead of laying down whatever comes out; etc., etc., etc.

Besides the fact that I just don't want Spider-man to happen, I still really think this is album work. Think of it like this---they've clearly made it known that Eno/Lanois are there as part of the writing team. Who's there as producer? They haven't named anyone, and the last person they mentioned was Rubin--who we know told them to come back to him with concrete ideas. That part of the picture all fits and points toward album---unless Rubin is producing Spider-man, which isn't how musicals work.

If you read what Edge actually said in that interview, he never denied that the work is for a new album. Instead, he just says that they're not labeling it as anything in particular.

Basically, the juices are flowing and they don't want to dry up in the pressure of officially working on an album. They're having fun, being creative, and going with the flow. Hell, as long as a lot of stuff comes out of it (which it seems like is the case) and I get to hear all of it someday, I don't care if they keep doing this for another year!

i just hope that the beatles bullshit is behind them. the beach clips sounded good but its too poppy and happy. fuck that.

a couple of things bono related that has caught my attention is the fact that he's starting to get pissed at the leaders instead of just remaining hopeful and optimistic.

But on the other side of that coin is that in another interview he said he was an insecure popstar (regarding his shades)

he said popstar :(

t8thgr8 said:
i just hope that the beatles bullshit is behind them. the beach clips sounded good but its too poppy and happy. fuck that.

a couple of things bono related that has caught my attention is the fact that he's starting to get pissed at the leaders instead of just remaining hopeful and optimistic.

But on the other side of that coin is that in another interview he said he was an insecure popstar (regarding his shades)

he said popstar :(

what's wrong with being happy?

t8thgr8 said:

U2's turning goth? It's about damn time! :hyper:

silvrlvr said:
We can add "get lost in the music" to "The Edge is on fire" in the U2 pantheon. And yes, not setting a deadline is one way not to miss a deadline.

I'm glad Edge thinks the band has the luxury of all the time it wants to record the next album. I disagree. Things are moving faster these days, not slower. While the band is clever enough to keep tossing beads from its float to the crowd, in the form of U2 by U2, Saints, WITS, U2 18 (and we all know how well that did) and soon U2 3D, there is nothing that takes the place of a new album full of new music. Unless you're Elvis, it's really hard to keep showing up on the Billboard and iTunes charts with old stuff.

I would have to disagree. One thing U2 has earned by having so much success is that they can pretty much set their own terms with the type of album they want to make, when they will release it, how long it takes and what type of tour they want to do. They dont ever have to make another album or ever tour again if they didnt want to. They are set for life. So if they dont want to rush anything and take their time, that is what they will do and they have earned that right.

Blue Room said:

I would have to disagree. One thing U2 has earned by having so much success is that they can pretty much set their own terms with the type of album they want to make, when they will release it, how long it takes and what type of tour they want to do. They dont ever have to make another album or ever tour again if they didnt want to. They are set for life. So if they dont want to rush anything and take their time, that is what they will do and they have earned that right.

I don't think he was questioning their right to do so. I think he was disagreeing with it as far as its quality impact on the album.

phillyfan26 said:

I don't think he was questioning their right to do so. I think he was disagreeing with it as far as its quality impact on the album.

Well, then they can respond and tell me that because thats not how it appeared to me. "Edge can think they have the luxury of time, but I disagree".

This is what I'm responding to. They do have that luxury. Its their call, no one elses. :shrug:

Blue Room said:

This is what I'm responding to. They do have that luxury. Its their call, no one elses. :shrug:

They do and they don't. In one sense, they have the luxury to only put out an album every 10 years if they want to. I think that's what you mean. But to achieve what I suspect their goal is, they don't have that luxury at all. They still have to keep it as fresh and creative as ever, or they're just another dinosaur. That includes this process.

Earnie Shavers said:

They do and they don't. In one sense, they have the luxury to only put out an album every 10 years if they want to. I think that's what you mean. But to achieve what I suspect their goal is, they don't have that luxury at all. They still have to keep it as fresh and creative as ever, or they're just another dinosaur. That includes this process.

See but I dont think they have to rush an album out there to stay relevant. If its a good album, they could release it 3 years from now and it will still be a big deal and be successful. U2's name alone draws alot of attention and that isnt going to change 3 or 4 years from now. It will still be a big deal. I think their goal is to try to stay relevant in their music. I dont think that has a specific timetable that must be followed to get there. Its whatever timetable they feel is right to get there.

Blue Room said:

See but I dont think they have to rush an album out there to stay relevant. If its a good album, they could release it 3 years from now and it will still be a big deal and be successful. U2's name alone draws alot of attention and that isnt going to change 3 or 4 years from now. It will still be a big deal. I think their goal is to try to stay relevant in their music. I dont think that has a specific timetable that must be followed to get there. Its whatever timetable they feel is right to get there.

i would have to agree. i'd rather they take 5 more years if it means they release a masterpiece, to be honest.

Perhaps, but they need spontaneity, not stagnant, repeated sessions, or to introduce two "new members" into the process, 3 years really is the average with them, 4 years has happened only twice before, the previous sessions because they didn't like working with Chris Williams, and Zooropa-Pop but in that case there was HMTMKMKM and a complete album side project, now it seems like we're of course headed for four years again.

I thought the competitivness of the music scene (with Coldplay and Green Day in particular getting the spotlight) and the big 5-0 age approaching would make them speed up the process of album making.

I don't think it would be out of their reach to record the songs and make an album within, say, a year. I know they're not pressed financially now the way they were in the 80's and it's true the longer the wait the bigger the hype later but I think they could easily do the 3 album year wait - 4 years between tours circle. Think POP-Popmart, ATYCLB-Elevation and the originally planned 2003 Bomb-2004 Vertigo tour.

The thing that is more concerning is they struggle so much to make albums since 1990. AB took longer to make I think than any other album before, and it almost destroyed the band. Zooropa was fast, sure, but that was a mid-tour EP turned into album. POP, ATYCLB, Bomb - again, took long to make, with delays and various producers. It seems more like labour and hard work than music making.

Commercial cycles, biggest band competitions, laboured productions..... I can't think of any other band that has a fanbase so conditioned to just accept that as being the way it is.

I agree, it would sound ridiculous to say to Bono "You guys have great potential" but it's true. Potential that they are not coming close to reaching.

Earnie Shavers said:
Commercial cycles, biggest band competitions, laboured productions..... I can't think of any other band that has a fanbase so conditioned to just accept that as being the way it is.

I agree, it would sound ridiculous to say to Bono "You guys have great potential" but it's true. Potential that they are not coming close to reaching.
once again it seems this thread is about people telling others what they should be thinking, rather than what they are,

rather than being a little excited that the band are back together again and doing "something", people always have to over think things.

Last edited:
Make no mistake: I'm sure they can do better than their post AB output (which isn't to say I dislike the albums), but for various cirumcstances, not all under their control, they didn't.

The_acrobat said:
So maybe Eno and Lanois are helping the band write songs to get things prepared for Rick Rubin, who will then produce it. I'm sure Eno and Lanois will get 1/6 of the songwriting credits. I'm excited about this, because it's like there are 2 new members of U2. Eno is obviously more experimental in his writing, and I love a lot of Daniel's solo work. I think we're gonna get something different. Fall of 2008 can't come soon enough!!!
Brian Eno is not Rubin's assistant, he is not preparing the next album for this genius.
Eno doesn't want to be "lost in the music" with them for 10 months. If u2 doesn't manage to find a guideline for the next album during this month in exotic Morrocco, Eno is not going to produce it.
They still have Lillywhite's phone number. And Flood. And Nellee Hooper. And Jackniffe. And....

guill said:

Brian Eno is not Rubin's assistant, he is not preparing the next album for this genius.
Eno doesn't want to be "lost in the music" with them for 10 months. If u2 doesn't manage to find a guideline for the next album during this month in exotic Morrocco, Eno is not going to produce it.
They still have Lillywhite's phone number. And Flood. And Nellee Hooper. And Jackniffe. And....

... or they can always call Timbaland. That bitch attends every production request she can and even adds some more...:giggle:

guill said:

They still have Lillywhite's phone number. And Flood. And Nellee Hooper. And Jackniffe.

Flood and Jacknife already did enough damage on the last album, pass. The former in particular should be banned from producing anything U2 post 1997.

Lillywhite is probably not happening if they're using Rubin (of if Eno/Lanois do end up producing this one) to produce, except if he comes in to mix some songs a la JT, AB and ATYCLB.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom