MERGED ----> Making the album in Morocco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do we know if the band is going back there now that G8 is over, or if some stayed behind? We know the U2.com team is back in Dublin, but maybe they had cheap tickets on Ryanair and didn't have a choice.

So, being in Africa and having the dissapointed G8 Bono combined with Edge's impressions from his N. Orleans/Katrina work - are we actually getting a political U2 album ?

Politics is a theme in their music, but it hasn't really inspired a full album so far.
Even on War, except SBS or NYD, you can argue songs are about relationships (in the time of war).

U2girl said:
Politics is a theme in their music, but it hasn't really inspired a full album so far.
Even on War, except SBS or NYD, you can argue songs are about relationships (in the time of war).

I would add Seconds to that list. Its about the nuclear threat of the cold war. There are other songs with political type themes on WAR even though they arent about war. The Refugee also comes to mind.

But you are right there isnt a full album of just political songs. I dont think I would care for one that was. They typically give it a nice balance of several types of songs though. The key with U2 is that "most" of their songs have some type of meaning to them. (there are some exceptions though :wink: )

I'm really happy to hear they are doing some songwriting in Fes. It's an amazing city full of life, beautiful artistry everywhere and really great people. It's probably very inspiring to be holed up in place in the medina.

topplehatU2 said:

But I think they could've told us so more and given us a few more pictures.

I think they will:

Throughout June, we’ll be bringing you some stories from inside the U2 Riad.

We just need to give them time as Dorian Gray said.
They gave us a pretty detailed view of what was going on at Abbey Road if I',m not mistaken.

Blue Room said:

I would add Seconds to that list. Its about the nuclear threat of the cold war. There are other songs with political type themes on WAR even though they arent about war. The Refugee also comes to mind.

But you are right there isnt a full album of just political songs. I dont think I would care for one that was. They typically give it a nice balance of several types of songs though. The key with U2 is that "most" of their songs have some type of meaning to them. (there are some exceptions though :wink: )

Good point on Seconds.

Refugee - I see it as a love song of sorts. Waiting for her man to come, to take her to the promised land etc...

Well, there is a place and a time for silly U2 songs :wink:

Blue Room said:

What's Like A Song then? Chopped liver? :wink: I've always thought that song was about social revolution.

But yes, there are many love songs on War. Drowning Man, Two Hearts Beat As One, Red Light, and Surrender come to mind.

Screwtape2 said:
I highly doubt that Morocco would influence the music all that much. It's not like Larry is going to use exotic beats and rhythms or Edge's playing will change. Though an exotic Moroccan Mercy could be interesting.

i think at this stage in the proceedings an ANYTHING ELSE Mercy could be interesting :wink:

So maybe Eno and Lanois are helping the band write songs to get things prepared for Rick Rubin, who will then produce it. I'm sure Eno and Lanois will get 1/6 of the songwriting credits. I'm excited about this, because it's like there are 2 new members of U2. Eno is obviously more experimental in his writing, and I love a lot of Daniel's solo work. I think we're gonna get something different. Fall of 2008 can't come soon enough!!!

That would be something new: Eno and Lanois NOT producing but really just doing the songwriting to get songs ready for Rubin.

:hmm: They did say they're working with them on strictly songwriting basis...

The_acrobat said:
So maybe Eno and Lanois are helping the band write songs to get things prepared for Rick Rubin, who will then produce it. I'm sure Eno and Lanois will get 1/6 of the songwriting credits. I'm excited about this, because it's like there are 2 new members of U2. Eno is obviously more experimental in his writing, and I love a lot of Daniel's solo work. I think we're gonna get something different. Fall of 2008 can't come soon enough!!!

I just logged in here to say just that,but you beat me to it! I think thats what they are doing,we all know rubin likes finished songs to produce.

You know this only opens doors for cynics who'll blame/credit any change positive or negative on/to Eno/Lanois.

powerhour24 said:
You know this only opens doors for cynics who'll blame/credit any change positive or negative on/to Eno/Lanois.

Unfortunately, I can see this happening too.

This is from atu2.com:

NEW @U2 FEZ SESSIONS NOT NECESSARILY FOR NEW ALBUM: EDGE
June 11, 2007
posted by: Miranda

U2's recent recording sessions in Fez may not be sign of an impending album, according to Hot Press Magazine.

In a teaser for its 30th birthday issue (due out this Thursday, June 14) the magazine's website quotes Edge as saying the recent recording sessions in Fez were for a "project", not necessarily for the new album.

"One of the luxuries we’ve afforded ourselves is not to have to think about exactly what it will be or how it’ll be finished or when it’ll be released."

And why did the band choose to record in Morocco?

"It was one of those ideas that wouldn’t go away. We were there during a festival of sacred music in Fez, so we saw some amazing artists. It’s all stuff that just takes you out of your comfort zone, and we seem to thrive in that situation, where expectations are really disregarded and you’re there to explore and discover new things."

Project? Spiderman the Broadway musical?

The optimistic side of me reads that & doesn't think that he's really discounted an album, but that it's just more of the "we don't know where we're going with this" stuff.

Nooooooooo!

The only reason they would need to gather for Spiderman is if it's meant to be a rock opera, along the lines of The Who's Tommy. Broadway musicals for the most part are still written at the piano (or computer these days.)

So could it be -- "U2's Spiderman?"

NEW @U2 FEZ SESSIONS NOT NECESSARILY FOR NEW ALBUM: EDGE
June 11, 2007
posted by: Miranda

U2's recent recording sessions in Fez may not be sign of an impending album, according to Hot Press Magazine.

In a teaser for its 30th birthday issue (due out this Thursday, June 14) the magazine's website quotes Edge as saying the recent recording sessions in Fez were for a "project", not necessarily for the new album.

"One of the luxuries we’ve afforded ourselves is not to have to think about exactly what it will be or how it’ll be finished or when it’ll be released."

And why did the band choose to record in Morocco?

"It was one of those ideas that wouldn’t go away. We were there during a festival of sacred music in Fez, so we saw some amazing artists. It’s all stuff that just takes you out of your comfort zone, and we seem to thrive in that situation, where expectations are really disregarded and you’re there to explore and discover new things."

Project? Spiderman the Broadway musical?

Passengers: OST 2 :hyper: :pray:

I don't think they would bring Adam, Larry, Lanois and Eno to another country to work on Spider-Man really.
Especialy since Eno works with Coldplay (sorry had to mention them :p) and Lanois says he's doing some projects on his own.
I'm guessing that they're pretty serious about their work if they decide to bring them along.

If they were working on the Spider-Man musical, Bono and Edge could manage on their own. We also know that Edge can do some producing if he wants to, Zooropa for example, and I bet he's been learning more about it since then as well.

And we've heard this plenty of times by now, they are just creating music because they want to, without any goal to achieve at the moment.

Too bad though, really expected some hype. :hyper:
Let's see what u2.com tells us troughout June.
If they post something new every week for the rest of the month we may get 2 news all in all, maybe three before we're back into guessing again.

Last edited:
:confused: More album delay ?

A project and not a U2 album ? What are Eno and Lanois doing there, then ? And purely as songwriters, at that.

I think Spiderman musical will be written by Bono and Edge, not the whole band.

I think it is for some kind of new album, either way.

I'm thinking that they keep putting off saying what it is for, because they can't decide whether having Eno and Lanois as songwriters still qualifies it as an official "U2" album, or if they'll have to cleverly release it under some different name or something (i.e. - Passengers+1 or what have you).

U2girl said:
:confused: More album delay ?

A project and not a U2 album ? What are Eno and Lanois doing there, then ? And purely as songwriters, at that.

I think Spiderman musical will be written by Bono and Edge, not the whole band.

i wouldn't worry. i think this just goes along with the whole "get lost in the music" strategy.

Ugh, you had to know all the excitement that this caused around here was premature, hello Fall 2008 at the earliest.

Back
Top Bottom