MERGED --> LIVE 8 setlist...so friggin predictable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jag0918

Refugee
LIVE * setlist...so friggin predictable

Beautiful Day...pretty good choice.
Vertigo? predictable
One? My god if they have to play that song one more time for a benefit I think Im gonna get sick.

What happened to Crumbs from your Table? Cant this band ever take chances and suprise us anymore? I really dont think so.

Ok maybe that last comment was a bit harsh...but cmon people, seriously, when you'll watched the performance or read about, did any of you have a real "wow" reaction? I didnt think so, I rest my case.

LIVE 8 setlist...so friggin predictable

Beautiful Day...pretty good choice.
Vertigo? predictable
One? My god if they have to play that song one more time for a benefit I think Im gonna get sick.

What happened to Crumbs from your Table? Cant this band ever take chances and suprise us anymore? I really dont think so.

Ok maybe that last comment was a bit harsh...but cmon people, seriously, when you'll watched the performance or read about, did any of you have a real "wow" reaction? I didnt think so, I rest my case.

Well, I did - since right until they kicked into Beautiful Day, alot of us feared that they would only play One. I think it was a great set.

yeah! all those casual fans in attendance must have been so pissed that U2 didn't play Acrobat!!111

edit: if anything is predictable, it's these threads(though mine is sexy).

all of the other bands there also played "predictable" sets...it wasn't supposed to be a performance to please the hardcore fans or prove how daring the band is. if those were the songs that were going to appeal to the majority of people, then they should've played those songs.

I was lucky enough to be there (10ft from front, centre stage) and i thought 'One' was pretty flat as i did at Manchester. It still remains in my all time top 5 tunes but the emotion doesn't seem to translate(i.m.o.) on this tour.I thought Unchained Melody worked well but they should of kept the momentum going with another uptempo number.'Streets' would of concluded the set perfectly.

Let's turn this around then Jag0918 what would you have had them play. The only person who took any chances was Chris Martin with his Status Quo verse and he got a kicking in the press for it. (I thought it was superb though).

Re: LIVE * setlist...so friggin predictable

jag0918 said:

NOTHING happened to Crumbs. It was never a real possibility. Internet bullshit and speculation is all that was and your quote about it is typical and uninformed IMO. I think if you went through the entire artist list I bet you NONE of them broke out one of their songs they had never played live before for the event. There is some legitimate criticism about aspects of the Vertigo setlists as those shows are U2 fans only. Criticising the Live8 setlist is just ridiculous to me. Of course it was predictable, so was every other artists for the most part. No one outside the die hards on here and the couple hundred at the event would even give a shit that they did Crumbs and honestly would probebly be bored with it. Playing it would have been a disaster for this event.

Last edited:
Re: Re: LIVE * setlist...so friggin predictable

Blue Room said:

NOTHING happened to Crumbs. It was never a real possibility. Internet bullshit and speculation is all that was and your quote about it is typical and uninformed IMO. I think if you went through the entire artist list I bet you NONE of them broke out one of their songs they had never played live before for the event. There is some legitimate criticism about aspects of the Vertigo setlists as those shows are U2 fans only. Criticising the Live8 setlist is just ridiculous to me. Of course it was predictable, so was every other artists for the most part. No one outside the die hards on here and the couple hundred at the event would even give a shit that they did Crumbs and honestly would probebly be bored with it. Playing it would have been a disaster for this event.

:up:

tarquinsuperb said:
Let's turn this around then Jag0918 what would you have had them play. The only person who took any chances was Chris Martin with his Status Quo verse and he got a kicking in the press for it. (I thought it was superb though).

It was crap, like the rest of their performance that day. They really didn't break it. Maybe the most disappointing act of the day, IMO.

coldplay was disappointing? wow.. i thought bittersweet symphony was one of the best performances, along with man on the moon by REM and Jesus Walks by Kanye West

Blue Room said:

I love you. :wink:

Blue Room said:

:applaud:....thank you! :)

They should've just played "Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle of Milk" four times.

As much as I would have loved for U2 to play Mofo and Crumbs, did you honestly expect anything new and different? Name ONE artist there that played an unpredictable, not very well known song. In fact, let me answer before you have a chance to: no one come to mind? that's what I thought.

This has been gone over a million times. It would make no sense for U2 to play a song only their diehard fans will know to six million or however many people, especially when a lot of them probably weren't there to see U2 in the first place and only know U2 songs from the radio.

Plus, the performance of One was stunning. It sure made ME go "wow."

Wow, so I just noticed you made this thread twice. Nice job, maybe if you make it a couple more times someone will finally agree with you. Repetition is the BEST way to get your point across!

Not quite sure why you started two threads but please try to keep the discussion in one thread. We have already a large abundance of Live 8 threads.

AtomicBono said:
As much as I would have loved for U2 to play Mofo and Crumbs, did you honestly expect anything new and different? Name ONE artist there that played an unpredictable, not very well known song.

although bittersweet symphony is a very well known song it was a complete surprise...

zwervers2 said:

although bittersweet symphony is a very well known song it was a complete surprise...
not really such a suprise, as soon as you heard he was singing with richard ashcroft you knew what they were gonna do,

Seriously, this was a concert to end poverty...where the hell were:
Until The End Of The World
Mysterious Ways
Babyface
Wake Me Up before you go go?

:rockon:

AtomicBono said:
As much as I would have loved for U2 to play Mofo and Crumbs, did you honestly expect anything new and different? Name ONE artist there that played an unpredictable, not very well known song. In fact, let me answer before you have a chance to: no one come to mind? that's what I thought.

Well, the Scissor Sisters played a new song.

i thought the setlist was perfect, everyone knows it was the "jukebox" where the band's play their hits.

Maybe "Vertigo" shouldnt have been in there, but f it, it was a great version.

I would have liked to see "Sunday Bloody Sunday", especially because the band was on so early. Could have got the crowd energized.

Exactly!! :yes: :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom