MERGED->GA Queues - Elevation Pics?+What does one do all day while on line for GA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is my definitive GA experience, 2001.
1. 5 shows: Denver (1+2), Phoenix, SLC, Miami
2. As the tour went on, you had to be earlier and earlier. At Denver, at 9AM, I was about 89 in line. At Miami, at 5AM, I was about 160 in line. At all 5 shows, I was in the heart.
3. Security and entrance into the arenas is done locally. Do not expect this to be standard. SLC was probably the best, Phoenix was absolutely the worst. At some locations, you have to line up off-property.
4. Beware the list keepers. The people at the front always had a list of names and numbers in an attempt to keep the line organized and legitimate. Although this is the best situation, there was a whole lot of shady activity (like being 120 in line, but only seeing 40 people).
5. You will have plenty of time to put away your things. This was typically done around 3PM.
6. Etiquette: keep in mind everyone around you is a U2 fan. They wouldn't be spending their entire day in line otherwise. Be courteous and keep the playing of U2 CD's to a minimum. Even die hard fans can get burned out on 24 hours of non-stop Rattle and Hum (oh yes, it happens).
7. Be calm. You will be amazed and the anxiety during the last hour or so before you get in. Personally, in Phoenix, I had never been so anxious about anything.
8. Just a foot note: We decided to go to Miami on a whim after seeing the SLC show (11/9/01). In Miami, we (there were 4 of us) were so sick of waiting in line and had one of the worst days ever, even though we broke some rules and kept ditching the line for the beach, stores, lunch, etc. To this day, standing in long lines makes me sick to my stomach. I have no idea how I will force myself through another one.

U2dork said:

I was at the Atlanta show, not that far back in the GA line and I do not remember any of this "riot" that you keep speaking of. I do remember people cutting in line when the doors opened but that all cleared by the time I reached the door and I still got a *GREAT* spot on the floor...
I think once inside, most of the line cutters made their way to the t-shirt booths...

Keep speaking of? I don't think I've ever mentioned it in a post before but okay. :scratch:

Last edited:
U2fan05 said:
In the earlier post there was a link to pictures from a Tacoma post. In one of the pics it said 68-70 became 168-170 in the heart. What does this mean?

We got to the Tacoma Dome really early and I was #68 on the list. During the mad rush of people to get inside (as well as some people slipping into line in front of us during the course of the day) at the door we were #168 inside. We still made it into the heart and VERY close to the stage so it turned out great.

How about bringing alcohol in the line. I'm going to the opening show in SD and would love to bring maybe some vodka and sprite to mix. I'm sure the security won't allow it, but is it easy to get away with? And for those who did it what's easiest to bring and get away with?

Blue Room said:
118705-15-01_Chicago_GA_Line-med.jpg

5-15-01 Chicago GA line

im in that picture somewhere...

I have a question, was the heart always 300 or so people for each city, or did bigger arenas have a 'bigger' heart area? I suppose not, if the floor is bigger will it mean just more people on the outside of the egg / heart?

I may have a chance to trade some of my tickets for Chicago and if I do that, I probably won't go to Phoenix and/or San Jose, so now I am worried about how crowded the floor will be at Chicago vs. one of the smaller places.

brejc said:
How about bringing alcohol in the line. I'm going to the opening show in SD and would love to bring maybe some vodka and sprite to mix. I'm sure the security won't allow it, but is it easy to get away with? And for those who did it what's easiest to bring and get away with?

Save some for me.

What does one do all day while on line for GA?

It seems as if it will be longest hours of the year..How did everyone entertain themselves last tour?

Meet people, share stories, kick out line cutters, play cards, wander about the area from time to time, have lunch with your new friends, hope to see the band when they come in the building, etc.

It is a marathon but it is a great experience. Just hope you have great weather, otherwise it could get rather crappy.

I would think if you live there, it could be boring but I visit the cities where I see the band so it is all new to me.

Just what I did while waitin for the Brooklyn show....make friends, have band discussions, sit in the wet grass, use porti-pottis as a last resort :madspit:

Was a long 8 hours, but I'd do it again tomorrow....

the longest i was in a u2 ga line was 18 hours. i spent it attempting to sleep, talking, playing cards, eating, etc. you make friends fast when you have to sit next to them for hours. at the las vegas elevation tour at UNLV, one of my friends went into one of the air conditioned classrooms and fell asleep. make sure and take breaks and walk around. and remember, you CAN have pizza delivered to a street corner.

The Vegas line was cool because there were Interferencers everywhere. I walked around, talked with people, went back to the hotel (or that may have been Chicago),etc... It was a lot of fun. Once 5 or 6:00 pm comes, though, you stay put for those all important instructions and (in some cases) wristbands.

one4u2 said:
Do they give wristbands out at most places so you can leave?

if you can, go with friends so they can save your place in line. if you're going alone, that's another good reason to talk to and get to know the people around you so they can save your spot if you have to go to the bathroom or get a bite to eat or something. i don't know how it worked in other cities, but here in dallas we camped out all nite. there were people at the beginning of the line who numbered everyone's hands with a marker. it worked pretty well for the most part, but just before doors opened things got crazy and some people had been saving spots for other people who'd just gotten there and they got to cut in line which pretty much sucked. i guess it's pretty much an honor system thing. unless it's more organized for this tour :shrug:

overall it was a very fun experience. it's usually a kinda festive atmosphere. even when i saw u2 in austin and i didn't have a GA ticket, i still hung out by the GA line all day (didn't camp out that time though) and talked to everyone and waited for the band to come in and do soundchecks and got edge and larry's autograph :D

ABEL said:

if you can, go with friends so they can save your place in line. if you're going alone, that's another good reason to talk to and get to know the people around you so they can save your spot if you have to go to the bathroom or get a bite to eat or something. i don't know how it worked in other cities, but here in dallas we camped out all nite. there were people at the beginning of the line who numbered everyone's hands with a marker. it worked pretty well for the most part, but just before doors opened things got crazy and some people had been saving spots for other people who'd just gotten there and they got to cut in line which pretty much sucked. i guess it's pretty much an honor system thing. unless it's more organized for this tour :shrug:

overall it was a very fun experience. it's usually a kinda festive atmosphere. even when i saw u2 in austin and i didn't have a GA ticket, i still hung out by the GA line all day (didn't camp out that time though) and talked to everyone and waited for the band to come in and do soundchecks and got edge and larry's autograph :D

I would be royally pissed if I waited all day and people just cut the line :eyebrow:

You walk around, sit in your lounge chair, longest time for me on the tour was 30 hours in line. Well this time around its well planned and I hope everyone will get along. Yes there will be screw ups. I recommended not doing GA in Anaheim, especially for the first show. If you didn't do Anaheim on the last tour Elevation I recommend not going. Hopefully I will lay out the scenario's at the Pond so security does not screw everyone over . They did at Metallica back in November, but it didn't matter due to the stage setup and people abusing their priveilages.

Line Cutting is basically up to the people around you to say something to throw them out. If not the numbers on your hand will prove with the list will provide enough evidence to throw the asshole out of that part of the line .

trevster2k said:

It is a marathon but it is a great experience. Just hope you have great weather, otherwise it could get rather crappy.

Just got my GAs today :hyper:

Rain would really be a buzzkill!

Things to do in the GA line:

talk to your neighbors
wet your pants with excitement
play cards
play songs
sing songs
read the paper
listen to your headphones
worry about line-cutters
watch for the band