MERGED->GA Queues - Elevation Pics?+What does one do all day while on line for GA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would probably have to leave my car very far away from the venue so it looks like i wont be taking anything....

If i take a rucksack full of water and food can i just throw it away somewhere (more like a carrier bag i guess)

dont wanan be faffing around when tis time to go in...

Super_Fan said:
Quote:
Originally posted by dafish1234
What's it like lining up in MSG?

It feels a bit odd sleeping rough in NYC. The area around 7th Ave and 33rd St. is not the best part of Manhattan. A lot of strange people passing by all night, but we did have NYPD cars driving by all night making sure we were safe.

Hey I did some good camping out at Roseland for the Rolling Stones Roseland Ballroom show. Got some offers by some prostitutes but I turned them down. It was funny to see them getting bitch slap by their Pimp in the limo car.

MSG during the first leg, the line was very mellow and surprisingly very slow growing - I got there at 11:30AM and was only #90 and got my spot right at the inside tip of the heart. And this was during the weekend! I think it's because most people don't have cars in which to stash away stuff, so they have to travel light and can't really do the sleep out thing too well. <g>

Last edited:
dafish1234 said:
What's it like lining up in MSG?

I don't remember there being a ton of people camped out. At least not the June MSG show I went to.

I lined up at around 6pm, was number 250 (approximately). I was actually surprised at how far up in the line I was considering I showed up so late.

I was reading U2 Show a couple weeks ago and noticed I am in one of the "fans await the Elevation show" pictures. Sounds stupid, but I was so EXCITED about!!

AMAZING book about U2 concerts! Worth checking out.

My question is, do they normally just open one set of doors for the initial rush of people? Or do you run the risk of being at the front of the line only to find out that they opened all doors at once thus losing your place?

Hope this is not the case....

Also, do we know were to line up prior to the show or do you just show up at the place and hope to find people already there?

I was thinking that someone should contact the San Diego Arena staff before opening night and gently remind/ask them about the problems that arose last on the last tour when people lined up for GA. (Staff opened 4 doors at once and everyone in line got screwed.) I hope that doesn't happen again this time.:eyebrow:

In the earlier post there was a link to pictures from a Tacoma post. In one of the pics it said 68-70 became 168-170 in the heart. What does this mean?

I remember the San Diego thing, but we still made it into the heart, although it was a bit of a scramble.

The best part about that show was Salmon Rushdie, walking by us inside with a VIP pass!

Elevation first leg Phoenix show, they opened all the doors at once. :banghead: I was about #100 but didn't make it in to the heart, but I did manage 2nd row outside tip, which in the end, if you can put up with the pressure from behind is the best place (for Bono action) anyway!

Ok Here are some pics of the Elevation Queues

This in Fourt Lauderdale first Elevation Show

elevation 1.jpg

And this are from the Tampa Show I also went to Miami but I didn't took photos.

tampa 1.jpg

tampa 2.jpg

tampa 3.jpg

tampa 4.jpg

In tampa I got a great time talking with many fans from
other countries and other states.

Hope you like them.

LyricalDrug said:
I was thinking that someone should contact the San Diego Arena staff before opening night and gently remind/ask them about the problems that arose last on the last tour when people lined up for GA. (Staff opened 4 doors at once and everyone in line got screwed.) I hope that doesn't happen again this time.:eyebrow:

I think they have changed their policy on GA at San Diego Sports Arena. I was there in November for Metallica. There was one line only for GA. This is how it work for Metallica. One line with 3 doors. One door for GA down the middle, and the 2 other side doors were for reserved seating. They check your ticket to make sure you enter the right way. Plus since its the first show I recommend not calling the venue until the first or second week of March since they do not have a Full Ryder report of the stage setup to the arena GM, and to the head of operations at SD Arena. Plus you would be annoying them. Also there are concerns about the GA line where it will start etc. due to other events happening the weekend before the show.

neutral said:
:no: visions of Atlanta Elevation GA riot.... :no:

Um yeah...anyway, just one set of doors I believe. Hopefully the same ones you're lined up at. :slant:

I was at the Atlanta show, not that far back in the GA line and I do not remember any of this "riot" that you keep speaking of. I do remember people cutting in line when the doors opened but that all cleared by the time I reached the door and I still got a *GREAT* spot on the floor...
I think once inside, most of the line cutters made their way to the t-shirt booths...

this thread is great--I'm doing GA for May 7th and 9th in Chicago and have no idea what to expect. Haven't camped out for a concert since I was a teenager. So the question of the day: what time do you think people will show up at United Center? Do they allow camping? Is there a wristband system? Thanks in advance for any other information!

ruffian said:
So the question of the day: what time do you think people will show up at United Center? Do they allow camping? Is there a wristband system?

If they allow camping, myself and company (Matt?) will be there as early as we need to be :D

My question: How do people keep track of the line? When my friends and I were first in line to see Bono (not U2 related), we wrote numbers on our hands w/ a Sharpie and keep it passing all day. There wasn't really any other way of regulating it and we all decided it would work b/c no one wants to sit there ALL day, and it did work really well. I mean, one lady went out and found Bono, took a picture, got it developed, and got back in line no problem.

Miroslava said:
My question is, do they normally just open one set of doors for the initial rush of people? Or do you run the risk of being at the front of the line only to find out that they opened all doors at once thus losing your place?

Hope this is not the case....

Also, do we know were to line up prior to the show or do you just show up at the place and hope to find people already there?

On the Elevation tour, they let you in groups of people, therefore there isn't the "crush" I am very curious how they will do it this year. My bet is they go with the GA wristband. Pick up your wristbands up till a certain hour and then draw a # and line up accordingly. Time will tell....

Theedge555 said:

On the Elevation tour, they let you in groups of people, therefore there isn't the "crush" I am very curious how they will do it this year. My bet is they go with the GA wristband. Pick up your wristbands up till a certain hour and then draw a # and line up accordingly. Time will tell....

Simply not true, sorry. May have been that way at the show you went to but the GA line was handled by each venues security. So there was no continuity as far as how it was handled at every show during Elevation. Some shows some doors opened, some did not. Leaving some fans screwed who waited all day. There was a near riot in Atlanta, San Diego and in Montreal on the 1st leg. A few shows some fans rushed the front when the doors opened and there was a crush. The ONLY venue that handed out wrist bands for the actual line on the last tour was San Jose whose staff by all accounts handled the situation the best out of any venue on the tour. Almost everywhere else it was U2 fans policing themselves and going on the honor system. Several of the shows I attended a few fans tried to rush the front or sneak in front when the line started moving. But most fans thwarted them.

Maybe it will be different this tour, but I doubdt it.

Theedge555 said:

Over my Dead Body!!!!!!!!! Another Bruce Springsteen GA Hoolagen!!!

Blueroom, thanks for the Chicago pic--guess we'll all have to wait and see how the policies work at United Center. Someone said in another thread that they absolutely do not allow camping, so maybe that is a good thing, and we'll only have to wait 12 hours or so! Looking forward to meeting other fans. Oh, and fmattyh, LMAO at your cute drawing!

The United Center did a decent job with the GA situation. There was only one door in, for GA, which is good. Alot of the problems occurred when a venue had more than one door or opened doors that were not suppose to be open first.

Bottom line with the UC though was that they washed their hands of the actual lining up, it was up to the fans and they were not getting involved with that. Once inside though they handled everything very orderly. Have you ever been to the United Center? Not the greatest section of town. I dont think I would recommend camping out overnight. I'm sure some will though. Try to have fun! :) But be careful.

Last edited:
This time around, I'm going to call the venue staff before the concerts I attend to ask if they have a system worked out for GA. I did this last time for San Jose, and I kept bugging them to come up with a wristband system, to keep things in order. I think a lot of other people bugged them as well (I vaguely remember a small internet campaign about this) because the San Jose staff did a great job. No cutting in line, no fiascos like San Diego or Atlanta. So, my advice is to CALL ahead of your show and ask what the policy is going to be.

There was No Fiascos in Atlanta on November 30, 2001. Do not call the venue until the first or second week of March. They will have no information since the Ryder has been finalized or close to it.

Super_Fan said:
There was No Fiascos in Atlanta on November 30, 2001. Do not call the venue until the first or second week of March. They will have no information since the Ryder has been finalized or close to it.

No, but there was a the March 30, 2001 Atlanta show at the same venue. Maybe they learned their lesson. But the whole security staff could be different by this time.

bammo2 said:
I'm a bit concerned cos I'm going to the Cardiff stadium show. I'll be queueing up all day but when it's a stadium show you have to run across the field once they let you in. And I'm an asthmatic so I can't run

:yikes:

Depends where the Entrance is. I had to run from one side to the other for Blink 182 and Green Day a Hershey Park Stadium 2 and a half years ago.

Blue Room said:

No, but there was a the March 30, 2001 Atlanta show at the same venue. Maybe they learned their lesson. But the whole security staff could be different by this time.

I guess I should have said the show I was referring to was the March 30 date. Really, I had no problems and wound up being able to touch Bono's pants. You can't ask for more than that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom