MERGED ----> Exclusive: U2 Tour To Kick Off March 1, BILLBOARD + WooHoo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kevink said:
So it looks like (I'm guessing):

first leg = North America, spring 2005

second leg = Europe, summer 2005

third leg = North America, fall 2005

fourth leg = Japan/Australia, winter 2005/2006

well actually it will be summer when they come here :p

did u notice that europe are getting stadium shows while the US get arena shows!?

wonder what australia will get...... im guessing stadium shows...

quadcaster said:
wonder what australia will get...... im guessing stadium shows...

That's what I'd expect, though I've heard rumours that they will be arena shows. I found that curious, as I'm sure they could sell out a stadium in most cities.

And on a slightly different note, how long is the gap usually between the announcement of dates and when the tickets go on sale?

----- Original Message -----
To: firepants@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 4:00 PM
Subject: [firepants] Fw: ladies start your engines....

(it's amazing, innit, how much their tour follows bruce's last one? not
verbatim but awfully friggin' close)

and snow patrol?! yay! the one or two tunes i've heard i like moocho.

oooooooo, and check out the p.s.! is it too early to make a wish list for
one's birthday prezzies? ;-)

>
> (Billboard.com) EXCLUSIVE: U2 TOUR TO KICK OFF MARCH 1
>
> By MELINDA NEWMAN and JONATHAN COHEN
> Billboard.com
> NEW YORK - Look for U2 to start its world tour on March 1 in
> Florida in support of its new Interscope album, ``How To Dismantle
> an
> Atomic Bomb,'' the band's manager Paul McGuinness tells Billboard.
> ``We'll play approximately 35 shows in the arenas in the spring
> in
> the U.S., McGuinness says. U2 will then play 30 stadium shows across
> Europe, return to North America for another 35-date arena swing and
> the proceed to Japan and Australia.
> Rumors have circulated that potential openers include Snow Patrol
> and the Scissor Sisters. McGuinness said no decision has been made,
> but added ``We love Snow Patrol. Their producer, Jacknife Lee, also
> worked on U2's album and they're Irish. There's a close
> connection.''
> U2's 2001 tour grossed $104 million from 106 shows worldwide,
> according to Billboard Boxscore.
> Continuing the move toward a more rock-driven approach emphasized
> on 2000's ``All That You Can't Leave Behind,'' the new set is
> front-loaded with a host of satisfyingly straightforward tracks that
> should thrill U2 fans. Highlights include the chiming, strident
> ``City
> of Blinding Lights,'' the powerful Edge showcase ``All Because of
> You'' and the emotive, atmospheric ``Miracle Drug,'' where Bono
> scales
> the heights of his vocal register.
> First single ``Vertigo'' is in third week at No. 1 on Billboard's
> Modern Rock Tracks chart.
>
>
> ps - my sources tell me two dates are on hold for the meadowlands
> arena in early april
>

I can't wait for Americans to start threads "oh they didn't play this and this song" or "the show is too short" like they did the last time around. As usual, most U2 goes to them. :mad:

I wish they'd do things more like Zoo TV or Popmart where there was a more fair division among the places they played.

South Americans, this is unconfirmed - for all we know, they might very well add some of the dates from that part of the world. :hug:

Apart from Japan, did they ever play anywhere else in Asia? Another HUGE market remains uncovered...
Am I the only one who read something about their first show in Russia on this forum?

(and I suppose they will not be interested into playing the new EU members but will stick to the usual north/west Europe)

We could all look at it from the point of view of thank god they are touring at all.

For those that are complaining about them going to the US. Well, they like the US and they can work whereever they want....

Stadium shows/arena shows - yes there are lots of arguments for both, but really are you not going to go because in your city (or the nearest concert) is in the one you don't want them to do?

Europe - everything is so close, just go (put map of europe over map of Australia and see the difference).

I just hope they come to Perth, but if not, I will hop on a plane and see them else where in Oz.

Bring on the T-shirts - I am desperate for a new one the old "Popmart" one is looking a little threadbare...

it's like the same as the Elevation tour :

first leg = North America, spring 2005
second leg = Europe, summer 2005
third leg = North America, fall 2005
fourth leg = Japan/Australia, winter 2005/2006

only I hope that they then return to Europe.....
(some lika as in 1992 / 1993)

I don't think it's a matter of how many tickets will be sold, stadiums vs. arenas...it's the amount of shows u have a chance at seeing. If I lived in Europe I would be kinda upset. I mean, on the last tour they only played 1 show in Italy...how screwed up is that?! Plus, it appears they won't be playin' in South America! That my friend is a real tragedy! Those people down there go bonkers fer U2 just as much or more than any other country. If ya saw the tv broadcasts of the Brazil/Argentina/Chile shows...u would know what I'm talkin about.

The reasons for a stadium tour in europe is obviously to meet the demand. Let's face it. there are not enough indoor venues for U2. They tour would never end . I'm sure the band will have a stage design that will suit a stadium as well as arenas.

substance2k2 said:
The reasons for a stadium tour in europe is obviously to meet the demand. Let's face it. there are not enough indoor venues for U2. They tour would never end . I'm sure the band will have a stage design that will suit a stadium as well as arenas.

I agree, some of those European venues on the last tour were just too damn small. I hope they play Ajax stadium in Amsterdam, I'll be there in a second!!!

It looks at though their following the same patterns in the US as they did the last tour, but maybe cut a few shows. I think they might do a few stadium shows on the second leg in the US based on the response to the first leg and the new album. And I agree, it is messed up they dont do South America, they should at least go to Mexico City again.

RademR said:

I agree, some of those European venues on the last tour were just too damn small. I hope they play Ajax stadium in Amsterdam, I'll be there in a second!!!

Go wash your mouth! U2 belongs to Feyenoord Stadium Rotterdam and vice versa. Apart from that, the acoustics suck for a large part of the arena stadium.

Tania said:
We could all look at it from the point of view of thank god they are touring at all.

For those that are complaining about them going to the US. Well, they like the US and they can work whereever they want....

Stadium shows/arena shows - yes there are lots of arguments for both, but really are you not going to go because in your city (or the nearest concert) is in the one you don't want them to do?

Europe - everything is so close, just go (put map of europe over map of Australia and see the difference).

You can always find arguments to defend their decisions. But it's pretty ironic that Bono (and the band) always talk about solidarity, fighting for good causes blabla, yet when it comes to their own touring schedules, it seems about grossing as much money as possible...

FOR LOVE OR MONEY?:eyebrow:

Soulrock2 said:
FOR LOVE OR MONEY?:eyebrow:

Money. If you don't make a profit, you don't tour, simple as that. It's the commercial world.

I guess I'll be the second person to say yeah! they are going to tour!!!

Sheesh people, they haven't even annouced shows yet and everyone is crying for their heads. For all we know they'll be on the road for two months in 2006 doing shows in Mexico, Brasil, etc... and maybe going back to Europe.

As far as the current schedule goes, yeah, it seems one sided right now, but it's hard to blame them for doing a lot of US arena dates. The arenas here are (for better or worse) quite similar, and are pretty easy to set up in from city to city. Local help speaks the same language etc. Logistically, its the easiest to tour, because everything is the same. Europe, with its diversity and actually interesting to look at arenas and stadiums, is quite different from one city to the next. Personally I'd rather tour Europe, but I'm not hauling 200 roadies and 40 trucks...

Sorry, if it turns out to be true this schedule absolutely SUCKS. America AGAIN gets more shows than the rest of the world put together. Europe, Australia and Japan get shafted yet again with shows in huge stadiums or fields devoid of atmosphere. I live in the UK so we'll probably fare (slightly) better than the rest of Europe, but this absolutely stinks. I don't care that there are "more tickets for Europe than the USA", bollocks to that. I'd happily join the scramble for tickets to see them in a decent venue and have a shot at doing multiple nights in a city.

In Europe and all over the rest of the world, U2 can sell out any city. So why the hell not make the most of it and actually reward the loyalty of the fans with a decent sized tour OUTSIDE of America? Or are our $$$ not good enough? Which sadly is what this is all about.

Soulrock2 said:

Go wash your mouth! U2 belongs to Feyenoord Stadium Rotterdam and vice versa. Apart from that, the acoustics suck for a large part of the arena stadium.

I didn't realize it was such an emotional topic for you. Sorry :huh:

Its my theory that Paul McGuinness is a bit stuck in the 80's and hasn't learned that:
  • The Berlin wall has come down and that Eastern Europe can be exploited as a market
  • The EU has a bigger population then the US
  • Most of the EU has a common currency, stronger then the dollar
  • Countries that didn't do so well in the early days nowadays have a sizeable U2 fanbase. No need to race through Europe in order to do most shows in the UK prior to going back to the US. It really feels like as if they made their mind up which countries like them and which don't in the early 80's and still go by that.
  • That there are other countries in the far east other then Australia and Japan, some of who do very well indeed (meaning €€$$ to be made!!!)
  • U2 could do a obscene number of shows in South America if only they tried

Muad'zin said:
Its my theory that Paul McGuinness is a bit stuck in the 80's and hasn't learned that:
  • The Berlin wall has come down and that Eastern Europe can be exploited as a market
  • The EU has a bigger population then the US
  • Most of the EU has a common currency, stronger then the dollar
  • Countries that didn't do so well in the early days nowadays have a sizeable U2 fanbase. No need to race through Europe in order to do most shows in the UK prior to going back to the US. It really feels like as if they made their mind up which countries like them and which don't in the early 80's and still go by that.
  • That there are other countries in the far east other then Australia and Japan, some of who do very well indeed (meaning €€$$ to be made!!!)
  • U2 could do a obscene number of shows in South America if only they tried

Fuck yeah! :up:

cdparky said:
America AGAIN gets more shows than the rest of the world put together.

:mad: THAT's what bothering me.
I understand US is the most important music market in the world, but make it more fair, like Zoo TV or Popmart and not so overwhelmingly in favor of the US of A.

Also: where is South America? Asia? Rest of Europe apart from the usual west and north?

Why is everyone freaking out? They may yet take this tour to S. America and back to Europe in '06. We just don't know that one yet. The annoucement we have so far is for '05 and possibly the first part of '06. They've said all along that if they can do it, this will be a two year tour. Jeez, we don't even have the first dates nailed down and everyone is crying for their heads. Calm down! You'd think they'd just annouced they weren't touring at all...

And they are already on record as saying they are going to at LEAST tour 3 continents and play over a hundred shows–name me one other act that will be doing that next year?

I wouldn't tour at all if my fans were as whiney as some here seem to be. All your complaining isn't going to change their tour schedule, so find a way to deal with it. :eyebrow:

I agree, all of you are freakin out! The USA is a very big place. I will have to travel at least 700-500 miles to see a show anywhere near my home! If I get tickets, that is. With the cost of the tickets and then gas and hotels etc. it can be very very costly for most Americans to go see a show.

ultrraviolette said:
I wouldn't tour at all if my fans were as whiney as some here seem to be. All your complaining isn't going to change their tour schedule, so find a way to deal with it. :eyebrow:
Yep. :up:

Instead of winning, make friends who help buying tickets, when the pre-sale starts here in the Netherlands i will buy the max amounth of tickets in allowed to buy,...

Interferencers, no complaining, but help.

So amusing.... Canada gets short-changed on everything too, not just Europe (although we do fare better than South American and Australasia. I wish artists would tour more there). Even Canadian artists play very few dates here. Shania played about 6 cities on the first leg of her North American tour. The Corrs booked about 8 dates and then cancelled all but 2. When people say they're coming to Canada, it usually means Vancouver and Toronto- Montreal, Ottawa and Edmonton/Calgary if we're lucky. THAT is short-changed. Canada's landmass is larger than Europe's. So, Europe will get 30 dates and we'll get so few we can count them on one hand. Canada's population is immensely smaller, but that's still short changing if you ask me.

Yahweh said:
It will be funny next tour if they decide to skip the US because the dollar is dropping like a stone....thats the excuse they gave to Australia last time.

Further to my point, touring these places in the end would make U2 more money from new fans as well as CD sales. It would make economic sense for them to tour in markets that havent been played in years rather then over saturating an already proven weak market in the US.

If more americans were like the ones we have on Interference that wouldnt be a problem but overall the US market is definatly proven over time to be a weak one in the last 10 years.

I think there is something to be said for serving your customer...they are a rock band but they are also in the customer service business and they arent doing a very good job of serving the customer world wide.

U2s success comes in forms of having fans everywear in the world and they should at least try to reach out to those fans that have been with them for so many years, rather then going to certain places because they are instant cash.

There should be 1 leg in the US of maybe 40 dates and that is it.

I would have liked to see the tour run down like this

1. USA/Canada (mix of arenas and stadiums depending on the market of about 40 dates)
2. Europe (mix of arenas and stadiums of about 40 dates)
3. South America (15 date stadiums)
4. Australia/Japan/other (15 dates stadiums)

I think that would make for a more satisfied fanbase myself.

The United States is NOT a weak market at all! The band grossed 109.5 million from the Elevation tour in 2001 in North America making it one of the highest grossing tours of all time in North American history.

Europe overall is a stronger market for stadium shows, but not to the degree that is suggested.

The United States based on the results of POPMART had a higher average of attendence per show than countries such as Australia, Japan, Germany, Israel, France, and Belgium.

Europe is getting 30 stadium shows which is the equilavent of 60 to 90 Arena shows, so Europe is not being cut at all. I think the band will tour South America as long as they break even or profit which they should do based on the massive demand.

All this bloody moaning already.. can't believe it.. you wait 4 years gaggin for a tour thenn can't stop complaining when it happens...

who cares how many dates the yanks get, as long as we get to see em over here then it wouldn't matter if they did 200 dates in the US..

as for gettin tickets, I've been to POPmart and Elevation and had no troubles gettin tickets.. in fact for elevation i just went on ticket master the day they were released and got four for manchester and 4 for each night in birmingham.. piece of p.iss!

All this wingeing... I think i'd bugger off accross the pond as well!

Back
Top Bottom