MERGED ----> Exclusive: U2 Tour To Kick Off March 1, BILLBOARD + WooHoo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exclusive: U2 Tour To Kick Off March 1, BILLBOARD

U2 World Tour To Start March 1
Exclusive: U2 Tour To Kick Off March 1

Look for U2 to start its world tour on March 1 in Florida in support of its new Interscope album, "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," the band's manager Paul McGuinness tells Billboard.

"We'll play approximately 35 shows in the arenas in the spring in the U.S., McGuinness says. U2 will then play 30 stadium shows across Europe, return to North America for another 35-date arena swing and the proceed to Japan and Australia.

Rumors have circulated that potential openers include Snow Patrol and the Scissor Sisters. McGuinness said no decision has been made, but added "We love Snow Patrol. Their producer, Jacknife Lee, also worked on U2's album and they're Irish. There's a close connection."

The upcoming trek will be promoted by Clear Channel Entertainment's TNA International, which is spearheaded by president Arthur Fogel. U2's 2001 tour, also promoted by Fogel, grossed $104 million from 106 shows worldwide, according to Billboard Boxscore.

Continuing the move toward a more rock-driven approach emphasized on 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind," the new set is front-loaded with a host of satisfyingly straightforward tracks that should thrill U2 fans. Highlights include the chiming, strident "City of Blinding Lights," the powerful Edge showcase "All Because of You" and the emotive, atmospheric "Miracle Drug," where Bono scales the heights of his vocal register.

First single "Vertigo" is in third week at No. 1 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart.

So it looks like (I'm guessing):

first leg = North America, spring 2005

second leg = Europe, summer 2005

third leg = North America, fall 2005

fourth leg = Japan/Australia, winter 2005/2006

So poor Europe gets a bit short changed again, compared to North America: 30 shows vs 70. I know it's stadiums as opposed to areas, but competition for good seats in Europe will be brutal.

Shortchanged? You bet. Less shows and bloody stadiums instead of arenas. I don't get it. It's like they go out of their way to alienate their European fans who have, throughout the years, been generally a lot more loyal and supportive of them than the fickle American public they always seem so desperate to please.

I will still go and see them, of course, and gladly pay whatever they'll charge for admission, but after missing them during the European "toe" (I wouldn't call that a leg) of the last tour I was really looking forward to seeing U2 on a nice arena with great sound and a good view of the stage, instead of standing 100 metres away from Bono on a football stadium.

Jaxx, you're right, the European fans have been more loyal over the long haul. Let's hope, if demand is great, and the band is up to it energy-wise, that they will add some extra shows.

That's interesting. Assuming Europe gets 30 Stadium shows @ even 60,000 capacity that comes out to 1,800,000 tickets. This is conservative because for sure some of these stadiums shows will be a lot bigger than 60,000.

For the U.S. we're supposedly looking at 70 shows in arenas with capacities of lets say 20,000, that's 1,400,000 tickets.

It doesn't seem like that much of a short change.

Now, I admit I prefer the arenas to stadiums but in terms of tickets/per capita won't it actually be easier to get tickets in Europe?

I guess you have to factor in U2 fans per capita also, but I'm thinking U2 is definately not trying to short change Europe.

If this schedule is true the people getting short changed are in South America.

Last edited:
I don't know about this. This looks like almost the exact same tour plan they had for Elevation, and look at how badly they met the demand for that tour. How are we going to be assured of getting tickets!!:(

ramblin rose said:
That's interesting. Assuming Europe gets 30 Stadium shows @ even 60,000 capacity that comes out to 1,800,000 tickets. This is conservative because for sure some of these stadiums shows will be a lot bigger than 60,000.

For the U.S. we're supposedly looking at 70 shows in arenas with capacities of lets say 20,000, that's 1,400,000 tickets.

It doesn't seem like that much of a short change.

Now, I admit I prefer the arenas to stadiums but in terms of tickets/per capita won't it actually be easier to get tickets in Europe?

I guess you have to factor in U2 fans per capita also, but I'm thinking U2 is definately not trying to short change Europe.

If this schedule is true the people getting short changed are in South America.

What you say is true, but... from the point of view of the more dedicated fan:

- An arena show is always superior to a stadium show in terms of sound quality, proximity to the band, comfort, etc.

- Also, considering the fact that over half the tour will take place in arenas I think we can assume this is not a production designed with the specific conditions of stadiums in mind, the way Popmart was, where the fact that, for most of the crowd, the band were like ants running around on the stage, was compensated by giving you lots of eye-candy to look at. I get the feeling those of us stuck with stadiums will be missing out on some of the experience (look at Elevation in Slane: it works because it's a special event and there's great chemistry between the band and the crowd, but it's a totally different experience from the rest of the Elevation tour).

- Finally, if the band does 2 arena shows in your city, you get a chance to see them twice. If they do a stadium show and then move to another city 1000 miles away, it's not so easy.

I guess if, like me, you are living in UK, pop of 55 or so million. How many shows in total will they play throughout UK? Demand last tour sold out in minutes. I can remember trying to get a ticket. Nightmare. Looks like will be living nightmare again!

Jaxx said:

What you say is true, but... from the point of view of the more dedicated fan:

- An arena show is always superior to a stadium show in terms of sound quality, proximity to the band, comfort, etc.

- Also, considering the fact that over half the tour will take place in arenas I think we can assume this is not a production designed with the specific conditions of stadiums in mind, the way Popmart was, where the fact that, for most of the crowd, the band were like ants running around on the stage, was compensated by giving you lots of eye-candy to look at. I get the feeling those of us stuck with stadiums will be missing out on some of the experience (look at Elevation in Slane: it works because it's a special event and there's great chemistry between the band and the crowd, but it's a totally different experience from the rest of the Elevation tour).

- Finally, if the band does 2 arena shows in your city, you get a chance to see them twice. If they do a stadium show and then move to another city 1000 miles away, it's not so easy.

Believe me I understand what you're saying. Like I said in my post I realize that arena shows are generally better than stadiums. But I don't think there trying to short change Europe, I think they're trying to find a way to meet the demand.

As far as playing 2 shows in my city, that only happens in a few cities (mine not being one of them), NY, Boston, Chicago, LA. During Elevation (1st & 3rd leg) I was able to go to 1 in my City (I was living in Houston at the time). I'll admit I went to 10 additional shows from the one in Houston, but I had to drive to 1 one them (Austin) and fly to the rest. In other words I spent a small fortune on travel costs.

I still say the people that are truly losing with this are the people in South America.

If you think us Europeans are short-changed...think about the fans in South America...at least we get SOME shows...from the look of this its not great news for those in SA. :|

UKTan said:
If you think us Europeans are short-changed...think about the fans in South America...at least we get SOME shows...from the look of this its not great news for those in SA. :|

Can you imagine how much I'll have to spend to go to other country?:eyebrow:

UKTan said:

Have to agree with that. I know that U2 has a lot of very dedicated fans in South America, and they should have the opportunity to see them live, like the rest of us.

FullonEdge2 said:
I don't know about this. This looks like almost the exact same tour plan they had for Elevation, and look at how badly they met the demand for that tour. How are we going to be assured of getting tickets!!:(

Personally, I think in the US we'll be screwed trying to get tickets for this tour.

But in Europe, they really got screwed during Elevation. The arena's were tiny and the dates were very limited. So I think Europe is in better shape, with the difference that it's stadiums.

Me, I think I'll be resorting to ticket brokers.

I wish they would do some stadiums in America. Arena shows are great, probably better than stadium shows. However, just seeing U2 in a stadium again would kick ass. But I'm not really going to Europe just to see U2 with 50,000 people instead of 20,000 people.

I really don't get why they aren't playing South America. They had great results with that tour in 1998. I'm sure it was expensive to haul all that shit down to South America for 7 shows, but I doubt the new tour will be as expensive as popmart. They had to haul everything through a rainforest on the way from Brazil to Argentina, and haul everything over the Andes Mountains from Argentina to Chile. Maybe it was a logistical nightmare, in spite of the great performance and crowds.

I wonder if they plan on playing in Mexico this time? Or South Africa, for that matter. Lots of big international acts have been moving into asian markets like China, India, Thailand, Russia, Singapore. They should really consider this for 2006. These people have waited forever to see U2. I know they had plans to tour India in 1982, but it never materialized, and never came up again.

Hm, interesting. Is it routine procedure to add additional dates?

Elevation had 50 and 30 arena dates in the US, so I guess what we have now is pretty similar. I'm very surprised there is no mention of Asia or South America, where they could EASILY sell out stadiums. One has to wonder why they would neglect a MAJOR source of concert attendance and income.

They could easily add another leg for next year. I think U2 is going to tour for 2 years.

I'll be dissapointed if US gets no stadium shows. Arenas are such a pain to get tickets to. Elevation was a friggin NIGHTMARE to get tickets to. I'm really worried about $$$ and supply.:sad:

U2 is only playing arenas in the US because the stadium would be half empty in most places sad to say that but its true.

Back
Top Bottom