MERGED ----> Bono On American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A bit out of the loop, are we?

martha said:

No. Not a bit. He's only doing it to sell more albums and make himself richer.

Sheer greed :tsk:

I just don't know if pouring more money into Africa is the solution. I don't think it's that simple. It seems like a lot of these musicians and such are saying "hey let's just keep pouring more and more and more money into this cause" and it might not actually be doing any good right now considering how the system of giving is set up.

Agreed, BonoVoxSupastar. It's actually very interesting when you read about the changes that are being made in this type of aid. It's moved toward a much bigger focus on small ground-up projects happening at the same time as macro-projects like debt relief; focus on creating self-sustaining programs like businesses (as opposed to just handing out supplies) to combat poverty; and fixing infastructure problems such as those found in education, transportation, and healthcare. These programs aren't perfect, but they've come a long way since they began.

I was at the American Idol top 12 party in Hollywood Thursday night and Chris Sligh told me he wanted to sing "City of Blinding Lights" last week, but U2 wouldn't approve it.

Chizip said:

orly2nm.gif

That's still the best thing I have ever seen on the Internet. :love:

U2freakboy said:
I was at the American Idol top 12 party in Hollywood Thursday night and Chris Sligh told me he wanted to sing "City of Blinding Lights" last week, but U2 wouldn't approve it.

I knew there was a reason I dug Chris Sligh! :love:

I wonder why they approve their songs for use on other countries' Idol competitions, but not the US.

... and people say U2 loves the US more than the rest of the world. :tsk:

It is a little wierd, but if Bono is doing work with American Idol, I wouldn't be surprised to see some U2 songs popping up on the show soon.

Yeah, a bunch of the guys this year listed U2/Bono as one of their musical influences.

It's just like I've always though, bureaucracy gets in the way with the music. There's a reason why they are always singing crap songs on that show.

U2freakboy said:
It is a little wierd, but if Bono is doing work with American Idol, I wouldn't be surprised to see some U2 songs popping up on the show soon.

Unfortunately, I don't think Bono is in the decision making process here. Either U2's management is asking for far too much royalties to allow the songs to be sung or they just plain won't allow it.
Or maybe it's the assholes down at FOX... :wink:

My latter theory does make sense though. How come they were able to use U2 songs in shows like Friends (in the very first season, mind you!) and The Office but they can't on American Idol?

Maybe Rupert Murdoch kicks puppies or eats babies or something, and U2 won't allow Fox to use their stuff.

:hmm:

:grumpy: American Idol is a thing of awesomeness. For various reasons, including how cheesy and appalling it sometimes is.

Caragriff, Bono does sometimes eat babies. But only really small ones.

U2 has been on TRL at least twice...once when they announced the Elevation tour (with a cardboard Adam cutout) and Bono phoned in with an Africa speech once

If he is on Idol, I bet Sanjaya or some other crappy singer will say "OMG UR MY ~*~IDOL~*~" even though they've probably only heard ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

I think it is more likely that since the record company involved in AI (Sony BMG Columbia) is in competition with Universal Music that might have a lot more to do with it than FOX. Even though they apparently do use U2 songs in other countries they may just be protecting their major home market by staying with their own artists for the most part. I think I remember hearing Simon say that no one should try to do Bono. Of course he says no one should do Freddie either but contestants still insist on murdering Bohemian Rhapsody. :D

Dana

I think that even if they could use U2 songs, they wouldn't because Bono really doesn't have too much range. U2 isn't about the voice though, it's the overall sound. The competition is mostly about just the voice though.

hillers said:
I think that even if they could use U2 songs, they wouldn't because Bono really doesn't have too much range. U2 isn't about the voice though, it's the overall sound. The competition is mostly about just the voice though.

You know very little about singing...

Considering some of the songs I've heard they've done this season No Doubt, The Police, etc you may not know what you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom