Meeanee, Napier, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, that's pretty annoying. I'd rather just some names and a little blurb to get me interested.

I'm so mad about the takedown of MegaUpload, I don't even know where to begin.

Never mind all the musicians who release their music legitimately via MegaUpload.

Never mind the businesses using it to send large files to their clients.

Never mind the people collaborating on projects of all kinds who use it to share their parts with each other.

Never mind all of that.

Let's just shut the thing down because some twats at the RIAA/MPAA are fighting the tide. This is like shutting down a cutlery shop because some people use the knives to assault people. If they come for Mediafire next ... shit will get VERY real. Though I think it already has; the FBI has stirred the Anonymous beast.

Sorry for snapping at you the other day, Cobbler. I've been severely lacking in the sleep department, even though I've been going to bed early. My brain just refuses to shut off and even when I'm asleep, I am thinking consciously, having mundane stressful lucid dreams every night. I think I'm going to take a sleeping pill tonight and see if it helps. And if not, hey, there's always vodka.

I'm so mad about the takedown of MegaUpload, I don't even know where to begin.

Never mind all the musicians who release their music legitimately via MegaUpload.

Never mind the businesses using it to send large files to their clients.

Never mind the people collaborating on projects of all kinds who use it to share their parts with each other.

Never mind all of that.

Let's just shut the thing down because some twats at the RIAA/MPAA are fighting the tide. This is like shutting down a cutlery shop because some people use the knives to assault people. If they come for Mediafire next ... shit will get VERY real. Though I think it already has; the FBI has stirred the Anonymous beast.

While I share your rage, I can see why they wanted to do it, however knee-jerky and short-sighted and moronic and overkill-ish that response was.

Does shit getting real in this day and age involve bloody revolution, Occupy-Silicon-Valley (or wherever RIAA/MPAA hang out), or a whole bunch of lawsuits?

And I just googled RIAA cos I had a brainfart about what it stood for... is it the Recording Industry Association of America, the Responsible Investment Association Australasia, or the Roadmarking Industry Association of Australia?

I'm just impressed all the Internet rage over SOPA actually got it postponed. But I suspect we may have to learn Russian and use their websites if Mediafire is indeed next in the firing line ... Rapidshare is probably OK, it's based in Switzerland, but it's a pig of a thing anyway.

:lol: RIAA = Recording Industry Association of America, obviously! They're the twats who've been suing everybody and don't seem to get that the tide has changed. Never was "old man yells at cloud" more accurate.

Hulkshare, guys. It's the next big thing...or something. Seriously though, it's like the only site besides Mediafire that works on my phone.

Dang it. Sigh.

Not at all in relation to SOPA or anything, but I think I might knock a couple drinks back tonight. To see if they help me sleep. Or at least entertain you fine folks with my drunkpostings.

I'm just impressed all the Internet rage over SOPA actually got it postponed. But I suspect we may have to learn Russian and use their websites if Mediafire is indeed next in the firing line ... Rapidshare is probably OK, it's based in Switzerland, but it's a pig of a thing anyway.

:lol: RIAA = Recording Industry Association of America, obviously! They're the twats who've been suing everybody and don't seem to get that the tide has changed. Never was "old man yells at cloud" more accurate.

:lol:

So was MegaUpload based in NZ, then?

I knew that... Should have put a :wink: after that sentence, I guess. *L*

I suppose they're flailing around and don't know what to do, so they're lashing out with their lawyery muscles and squashing the internet indiscriminately. HULK SMASH!! *RE*

Dang it. Sigh.

Not at all in relation to SOPA or anything, but I think I might knock a couple drinks back tonight. To see if they help me sleep. Or at least entertain you fine folks with my drunkpostings.

Hope you can get sleeps without subsequent hangover...

The four MegaUpload guys who were arrested were residents of New Zealand (but are Germans); the site wasn't based there though. The US claims jurisdiction because it says that they have servers in Virginia ... it had been previously rumoured that MegaUpload had its servers in Hong Kong but I hadn't seen anything definitive. I'm just pissed off about the Kiwi police being the US's bitch in all of this.

By the way, have a wild guess who the (not yet arrested) CEO of MegaUpload is? Swizz Beatz. Yes, as in Alicia Keys' husband, and also he's the guy who produced that awful Stranded (Haiti) song that Bono participated in.

Hope you can get sleeps without subsequent hangover...

Meh. It's friday night. saturday is the day for hangovers. But if I'm careful and drink a buttload of water along with the booze, I should be OK.

Yeah I was really wtf when I saw he was CEO. I didn't know he was married to Alicia Keys though. Guess I don't keep close enough tabs on hip-hop marriages like Axver :wink:

Yeah I was really wtf when I saw he was CEO. I didn't know he was married to Alicia Keys though. Guess I don't keep close enough tabs on hip-hop marriages like Axver :wink:

I only know this because Bono thought attending their wedding was far more important than actually turning up to rehearse with the rest of the band before the start of U2's 2010 shows.

... yeah, that isn't exactly knowledge I'm proud to have.

The four MegaUpload guys who were arrested were residents of New Zealand (but are Germans); the site wasn't based there though. The US claims jurisdiction because it says that they have servers in Virginia ... it had been previously rumoured that MegaUpload had its servers in Hong Kong but I hadn't seen anything definitive. I'm just pissed off about the Kiwi police being the US's bitch in all of this.

By the way, have a wild guess who the (not yet arrested) CEO of MegaUpload is? Swizz Beatz. Yes, as in Alicia Keys' husband, and also he's the guy who produced that awful Stranded (Haiti) song that Bono participated in.

I admire the times when NZ has stood up to the USA (there was something about "No, you can't park your nuclear aircraft carrier here"?), but I guess under these circumstances it was a bit different. Shouldn't have been, but there you go.

And wow. :lol: Can't wait for them to take him to court.

Meh. It's friday night. saturday is the day for hangovers. But if I'm careful and drink a buttload of water along with the booze, I should be OK.

:up:

I only know this because Bono thought attending their wedding was far more important than actually turning up to rehearse with the rest of the band before the start of U2's 2010 shows.

... yeah, that isn't exactly knowledge I'm proud to have.

Work/life balance, Ax...

I am going to present you all with a list of eating options, and I'm going to need direction in my life based upon it, mmk?

I admire the times when NZ has stood up to the USA (there was something about "No, you can't park your nuclear aircraft carrier here"?), but I guess under these circumstances it was a bit different.

Yeah, in 1984, David Lange banned nuclear-powered or nuclear-armed ships from entering New Zealand's territorial waters, and this basically banned the US Navy from using our ports since they won't confirm or deny the presence of nuclear weapons on their ships. It all came to a head when one US ship in 1985 requested a port visit ... obviously it was refused, and the US threw a hissy fit. Lange stood firm and basically told them to get fucked, it's our sovereignty and we'll do what we like with it, thank you very much. So the US, ever so mature when it couldn't get its way, suspended its ANZUS Treaty obligations towards New Zealand.

There has been something of a thaw in the last few years (I remain disappointed in the 2010 Wellington Declaration), but I'm still waiting for the American government to apologise for behaving like a child.

I am going to present you all with a list of eating options, and I'm going to need direction in my life based upon it, mmk?

I support whatever involves the most cheese.

This is the real name of a real restaurant that serves real food to real people. What...the fuck...were they thinking?

B & J's American Cafe, La Porte, IN : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

I have a feeling I'm missing something here...

:reject:

Yeah, in 1984, David Lange banned nuclear-powered or nuclear-armed ships from entering New Zealand's territorial waters, and this basically banned the US Navy from using our ports since they won't confirm or deny the presence of nuclear weapons on their ships. It all came to a head when one US ship in 1985 requested a port visit ... obviously it was refused, and the US threw a hissy fit. Lange stood firm and basically told them to get fucked, it's our sovereignty and we'll do what we like with it, thank you very much. So the US, ever so mature when it couldn't get its way, suspended its ANZUS Treaty obligations towards New Zealand.

There has been something of a thaw in the last few years (I remain disappointed in the 2010 Wellington Declaration), but I'm still waiting for the American government to apologise for behaving like a child.

Ah right... good on Mr Lange. More of that would be nice here too!

And you need to try the fried Mac and Cheese things at TGI Friday's. I'm full after two but I had that and loaded potato skins and part of a chicken BLT last night. *digestivedistress*

I wonder how the leftovers will go...

My least-favourite Python thing by a long margin. Bits were good, lots was just plain weird... I kinda feel like they jumped the shark.

yeah, I could have done without Mr Creosote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom