McGuinness Announces Entire Catalog to be Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Super Yo said:

I actually think that McGuinness was talking about the 80's catalogue, i don't believe that it's necessary to remaster the 90's albums.

jmelrose said:

Did you read that somewhere? "All" and "Entire Catalog" don't seem to me to be terms that would apply to "partial" and "some of" the back catalog.

Maybe not necessary to remaster them (although Depeche Mode did it for their entire back catalog up to their 01 release, "Exciter.") But if the goal is to "make them special in a new way" there might be some that dont require a remaster, but maybe a definitive "collected works" of that era?

what (s)he said...i'm confused! :|

jmelrose said:
It might be much like the Pet Shop Boys did with their entire catalog a few years ago. That was an EXCELLENT way to revisit the albums, all remastered, with remastered b-sides and remixes, and every track discussed in-depth with the band in the booklets inside. (If you are a PSB fan at all, or just a fan of how to properly re-release an album, check them out... worth every penny I re-spent on them! :wink: )

haha I hear that, I only re-bought 'Actually' as the old cassette copy I had was getting on a bit so I needed to put it to rest, but christ the repackaged album with bonus disc and liner notes was fantastic! The original album sounded fantastic and all the notes on each and every track was fascinating to put it the only way i can think of! :ohmy: really great stuff!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well I doubt they have a lot of left over stuff from October or War, plus I can't imagine Bono's current voice singing over an old October tune the likes of 'Wave of Sorrow'. Plus I can't imagine quality bonus materials from some of these other eras. Now I wouldn't mind some of the b-side stuff from the 90's since they screwed the Best of 90's b-side disc with too many remixes...

good point about the 90's b-sides, that disc was a bit of a travesty sadly! But how do we know there isn't much left from October/War??

I'm not saying there's a positive plethora of Mercy's lying in the vaults :wink: but surely there'd be SOME stuff. The B-sides and maybe a couple of demos wouldn't exactly FILL a cd like the Joshua Tree one appears to [not counting the live tracks from October/War singles] but all I think is we should just wait and see what happens! plus, what's to suggest bono would end up re-recording vocals on anything? That album's fine as it is! :drool:

I have put all of Bono's children through college.
You think I'd at least get invited to the graduation parties.

gareth brown said:
But how do we know there isn't much left from October/War??

I'm not saying there's a positive plethora of Mercy's lying in the vaults :wink: but surely there'd be SOME stuff. The B-sides and maybe a couple of demos wouldn't exactly FILL a cd like the Joshua Tree one appears to [not counting the live tracks from October/War singles] but all I think is we should just wait and see what happens! plus, what's to suggest bono would end up re-recording vocals on anything? That album's fine as it is! :drool:

It's likely they could easily fill a disc, it's just that most of the songs might just be demos or alternates of songs we already have. There is a bootleg compilation called "Unforgettable Fire Outtakes," as well as one called "War & Unforgettable Fire Demos," both of which contain demo/alternate vocal versions of songs like Pride, Love Comes Tumbling, and others. Those compilations are peppered with live versions, too, but you could probably fill a disc with just the studio stuff. Add to that the bootleg compilation "Two Hearts and Other Strange Things"---thirteen different versions of THBAO---and you would have a nice little set. Interesting only for collectors, but nice nonetheless. :yes:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Just as long as they don't turn everyone into a box set, keep that for the JTs and ABs...
Sorry but i want a fully remasterd POP album with DTS etc.

And i would gladly pay for it.

schnumi said:
Sorry but i want a fully remasterd POP album with DTS etc.

And i would gladly pay for it.

That's fine, I didn't say anything about not remastering, just don't turn everyone into a $60 special edition box set...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's fine, I didn't say anything about not remastering, just don't turn everyone into a $60 special edition box set...

well, with all due respect, you can buy the Joshua Tree Remastered in a single and double disk as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Tree-U...bs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1195509330&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Tree-R...bs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1195509330&sr=8-3

So as long as they give us the options of either or then I'll be happy...

gareth brown said:

But how do we know there isn't much left from October/War??

We don't, and I didn't claim to know this. I'm just speculating based on how they wrote back then that they probably wouldn't have much left over from these days.

I mean the fact that they wrote '40' in the last minute to have a closing track leads me to believe they didn't have a lot left over during those sessions.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Just as long as they don't turn everyone into a box set, keep that for the JTs and ABs...

:mad: Every U2 album needs to be given the box set treatment. Who wouldn't love a Boy or Pop box set? :drool:

elevated_u2_fan said:

well, with all due respect, you can buy the Joshua Tree Remastered in a single and double disk as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Tree-U...bs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1195509330&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Tree-R...bs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1195509330&sr=8-3

So as long as they give us the options of either or then I'll be happy...

I realize that, my point is that JT is being released on the anniversary year, it has some gems that we've been waiting on for decades like RHMT video, and some pretty worthy b-sides.

I'm afraid if they do this for every album, we're going to get a bunch of filler and it will just really cheapen that paticular era, and being the completest I am I will be forced to buy it.:wink:

Mmmmm...

Sounds good. Remastering will do wonders to virtually all U2 albums. I'd probably get the 90s albums + UF (aside from this JT release).

pat132 said:

With one of the Point Depot X-mas shows :drool: :drool: :drool:

Crikey, then they'll have released 2 of my 3 U2 Holy Grails (RHMT video, full Point Depot show, and full Tempe show). :drool:

Iskra said:
I have put all of Bono's children through college.
You think I'd at least get invited to the graduation parties.

There's a 24 carat solid gold toilet in one of Bono's houses I've personally paid for.... :madspit:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

OK.

But Boy, The Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa and Pop need a box set treatment too.
(and since you're then already halfway, it's a small step for October, War, Under A Blood Red Sky and Rattle & Hum :D)

(leaving out All That... and How To... for a moment as they were released past 2000. Yeah completely arbitrary, I know. :wink: )

Why didn't they start with Boy first and then work on the other ones down the road?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Bands usually start with a "classic" album.

So did U2. :D

Honestly! I do think that Boy is one of the best debuts ever (maybe not THE best, but certainly ONE OF).

But yeah, starting the reissue campaign with The Joshua Tree is a logical choice. Not only is it considered (one of) their best, it was also a huge commercial smash. And that increases it change of being a commercial smash again (huge installed base and a general population that likes everything remastered).

dsmith2904 said:
Otherwise, B sides that we already can find and reworkings of songs that don't need to changed seem pointless.

allow me to be the second on this side... i don't really get the whole drooling over remastering thing (much in the same way that i don't get what the hell the big deal is between getting a FLAC of some schmuck with a tape recorder's bootleg vs. an mp3 of the same schmucko's recording... maybe my ears just suck).

seems to me that the songs were pretty mind blowing when heard on a scratchy record... i don't find it any more mind blowing on CD then i did back then :shrug:

One things for sure...this will seperate the U2 "fans" from the U2 "fanatics" in terms of who's willing to essentially double all their albums
Looks like we are all fanatics here....
and I would give them blood if they asked... if they give me a box set in exchange all the better :wink:

My dream is that U2 remaster Rattle and Hum, include all the Rattle and Hum b-sides and outtakes, and include a DVD of the Lovetown tour. I've only seen small snippets of this tour, and I want the entire thing.

Popmartijn said:

OK.

But Boy, The Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa and Pop need a box set treatment too.
(and since you're then already halfway, it's a small step for October, War, Under A Blood Red Sky and Rattle & Hum :D)

UF may have some extra footage from the recording sessions, and may have some outtakes that didn't make b-sides.

But what would Zooropa have? There was talk of a 'Slow Dancing' recording, not just the acoustic version, and there's the infamous Wanderer w/ Bono vocal. They could put HMTMKMKM on there...

I'd be suprised if they remasted Pop, since they've been wanting to re-record and have most of the tunes already.

I just think JT and AB probably have the most unreleased items that would make a box worthy. I say the rest you just release in a full career box set...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'd be suprised if they remasted Pop, since they've been wanting to re-record and have most of the tunes already.
that in itself would make a pretty damn awesome bonus disc! :drool:

I say the whole "A Clockwork Orange" show needs to go in the AB box set. :drool: You know they have their own recordings, plus there's no way that the opening night wasn't recorded in some way.

Back
Top Bottom