McGuinness Announces Entire Catalog to be Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmelrose

The Fly
According to the new Rolling Stone, just into my mailbox (Jay-Z on the cover):

"... the band's entire catalog will see similar treatment over the next couple of years. "We will work through all the records and make them special in a new way."

So sayeth Paul McGuiness! Rejoice!!

what's the problem with them re-packaging them all with bonus stuff like The Joshua Tree?? :huh:

OMFG! This means we could get another ZooTV DVD, or a Lovetown one. Who cares about the money?!

This IS exciting! :drool:

elevated_u2_fan said:

it fucks with the alignment of the earth and the cosmos and my CD collection...

haha i like that answer :wink:

i'd happily re-buy their entire back catalogue as Joshua Tree style sets if the albums were all properly remastered and came with decent bonuses. The idea of having a remastered October [one of my favourites by far] Boy with properly mastered early demos or ANYTHING else from Zooropa [not to mention the possible live material that could accompany it on a dvd] makes me feel all merry...:ohmy:
that said, i also need to re-buy the lot on CD anyway my collection is completely battered...might as well replace it with smart box-sets.

ALSO, what about Passengers? Maybe this will settle the "U2 album or not?" debate once and for all??

gareth brown said:

i'd happily re-buy their entire back catalogue as Joshua Tree style sets if the albums were all properly remastered and came with decent bonuses. The idea of having a remastered October [one of my favourites by far] Boy with properly mastered early demos or ANYTHING else from Zooropa [not to mention the possible live material that could accompany it on a dvd] makes me feel all merry...:ohmy:
that said, i also need to re-buy the lot on CD anyway my collection is completely battered...might as well replace it with smart box-sets.

ALSO, what about Passengers? Maybe this will settle the "U2 album or not?" debate once and for all??

I actually think that McGuinness was talking about the 80's catalogue, i don't believe that it's necessary to remaster the 90's albums.

gareth brown said:
what's the problem with them re-packaging them all with bonus stuff like The Joshua Tree?? :huh:

Well I doubt they have a lot of left over stuff from October or War, plus I can't imagine Bono's current voice singing over an old October tune the likes of 'Wave of Sorrow'. Plus I can't imagine quality bonus materials from some of these other eras. Now I wouldn't mind some of the b-side stuff from the 90's since they screwed the Best of 90's b-side disc with too many remixes...

Super Yo said:

I actually think that McGuinness was talking about the 80's catalogue, i don't believe that it's necessary to remaster the 90's albums.

Did you read that somewhere? "All" and "Entire Catalog" don't seem to me to be terms that would apply to "partial" and "some of" the back catalog.

Maybe not necessary to remaster them (although Depeche Mode did it for their entire back catalog up to their 01 release, "Exciter.") But if the goal is to "make them special in a new way" there might be some that dont require a remaster, but maybe a definitive "collected works" of that era?

It might be much like the Pet Shop Boys did with their entire catalog a few years ago. That was an EXCELLENT way to revisit the albums, all remastered, with remastered b-sides and remixes, and every track discussed in-depth with the band in the booklets inside. (If you are a PSB fan at all, or just a fan of how to properly re-release an album, check them out... worth every penny I re-spent on them! :wink: )

I am wondering how much benefit these remasted will be for someone who has the War, UF, and JT Gold Mobile Fidelity CDs...

I would love to hear what they do to Pop.

What goes into remastering anyway? Like what have they done with the Joshua Tree? Is it just improving the sound quality, or is it actually changing parts of the songs?

All I want is decent liner notes. How hard would it be for them to tell a little story about each song? That would make it worthwhile for me. Otherwise, B sides that we already can find and reworkings of songs that don't need to changed seem pointless.

I just got an idea

if October gets remastered

I think many of you will remember the suitcase with the lyrics was stolen backstage a show?
Well, its contents were given back to Bono somewhere a few years ago! might it be possible to make new songs from the original lyrics as bonus material?

Well, he's since said that the lyrics sucked and they really used it more as an excuse because they hadn't properly prepared.

Although, it would be interesting.

gareth brown said:

:up: :up:

To have every album in an audiophile version would be awesome. I already get goosebumps when I listen to bootlegs that are super-quality (i.e., "Mountains and Deserts, Platinum Edition--from the JT tour). And if every remastered album comes with a pro-shot dvd from that era....? :combust:

phillyfan26 said:

What goes into remastering anyway? Like what have they done with the Joshua Tree? Is it just improving the sound quality, or is it actually changing parts of the songs?

It's improving the sound quality. Remastering doesn't really involve changing parts around.....that's just an idea confused by the Best Of 1990-2000 and now by Wave of Sorrow.

Ideally, remastering something like JT should leave you with your jaw dropped, drooling, and, perhaps, horny. It's like buying a new stereo system + good quality headphones x 1,000. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:
I would love to hear what they do to Pop.

No, true remastering is using the original source tapes and going back and tweaking their levels to create a new master...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But none of those have been actually labeled as remasters.

True, but people have been confused by what they are on several occasions here, and they have at times been erroneously labeled as remasters by confused fans. Searching for "Best of" and "remaster" would undoubtedly give you several posts as evidence.

Good lord, do you get a high off of nitpicking people's posts?

Utoo said:

It's improving the sound quality. Remastering doesn't really involve changing parts around.....that's just an idea confused by the Best Of 1990-2000 and now by Wave of Sorrow.

Ideally, remastering something like JT should leave you with your jaw dropped, drooling, and, perhaps, horny. It's like buying a new stereo system + good quality headphones x 1,000. :wink:

As a person with a moderate-severe hearing loss, I'm really curious to see how the remastered edition will sound to me. I dunno if I will even notice any difference.

What about this idea...

They release a Zoo era box set that has every recording remastered from Achtung and Zooropa sessions and includes extra concert videos other than Sydney as well.

Utoo said:

...Ideally, remastering something like JT should leave you with your jaw dropped, drooling, and, perhaps, horny.... :wink:

Well said!

Back
Top Bottom