May 21, Madison Square Garden in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahh....so this is where all the MSG peeps are talking...I posted the UF show info in U2 gatherings and was wondering why it was so quiet!! Thanks for the tip Headache! :)

I'm definitely there for the UF show!! Add my email to the list (thanks!)
amrita@u2.com

Um..guys....

I have a slightly different problem.

A week and half before the show and I have no place to stay.

I just found out today both my uncle and my cousin, who live in the area and whose house I was planning to stay at, are not going to be there that week Wed 18th-to Monday the 23rd. They have to be 4 hours away staying with my grandmother, who has an important doctor's visit scheduled and my mom can't be there to take her as was origionally planned. They live way up in Nanuet and I have no car, so no chance to just stay there and get a cab.

I know no one else in the area and am taking the train down from Albany alone Friday afternoon.

I have gone through HELL (more than many people on here, trust me, I know it sounds selfish but if you heard my story you'd agree I have quite a tale) to get this nosebleed, WAYYYYY above Edge seat. But until I used my hoarded Propaganda code for fall tix, this was going to be my only show of the tour and I am NOT pulling out now!!!!!!

So what I need is a place to crash for 2 nights (Friday and Sat night, I will slepp on the floor is necessary!!), a ride with you to and from the gig Sat night, and a ride to Penn station Sunday morning. I can pay for my meals etc but I won't have a lot of spare cash on me for a cab. Hence the need to save money. I am getting over a financial crisis from the winter and even if a cheap hotel were available one is out of the question.

I know this is sudden but I am DESPERATE!!!! I am harmless and won't bite. :) I put out a line on the NYC list but people take a few days on there to reply.

Reply on here but mail me also at Spindle40@hotmail.com if you can help!!

there's a bunch of amtrak trains leaving albany for penn saturday afternoon, and there's an amtrak that leaves penn for albany at 11:45 saturday night.

show should be over by 11 saturday... and considering that penn station is directly below madison square garden, i do think you could make the "commute" from MSG to the amtrak terminal in more than enough time to catch the train.

just an option.

Thanks for the advice Headache...

But there's a catch: This is dead true, what I'm going to say.

I was supposed to meet the person who has my ticket (I'm going with him) Friday night. He has also tickets for us to see the new Star Wars at the Ziegfield at 6 Friday night. We have been talking on the phone about this for 4 months. He told me I could stay at his place. Then, a week ago, when we were discussing the meetup, he suddenly drops on me that he now has a girlfriend and I can't stay at his place. She would not like it one little bit. I wanted to scream at him, he says, "Oh, I thought you could stay at your uncle's." I can't argue with him, he has my ticket. I know he has the ticket, he also got me tickets for the fall and I DO have those. But of course I can't argue.

I am so mad, I am not pulling out of the Star Wars thing either. I always wanted to see a show at the Ziegfield anyway.

Can you believe this...and as for the train leaving at 11:45, can you really expect that I'd leave the show 10 mins early (and miss "Yahweh" and "40"? No WAY!!). even if the boys did a 21 song set and finished at 11:25, which it being MSG they may go longer, do you really think I'd be able to pull a Home Alone and get there in less than 15 min?

I am still grateful to this guy but at the same time I am so T'd off, I think it fortunate that we are going to a movie first, otherwise I'd kill him. And he is like me, in his 30's to boot.

Last edited:
As of 3 days ago there were still roomsat the RAMADA New yorker (supposedly next to MSG I booked one, it was steep though 250.00 per night but when I got to looking around at other places it was average. I am coming from FL on Friday night so whats another few hundred on the credit card...LOL

Teta040 said:
Can you believe this...and as for the train leaving at 11:45, can you really expect that I'd leave the show 10 mins early (and miss "Yahweh" and "40"? No WAY!!). even if the boys did a 21 song set and finished at 11:25, which it being MSG they may go longer, do you really think I'd be able to pull a Home Alone and get there in less than 15 min?

penn-station-large.jpg

madison square garden was built directly on top of penn station... they're connected... you could get there in less than 15 minutes and still have plenty of time to spare.

Last edited:
Thanks again, Headache...

but let me repeat....

The band did 22 or 23 songs in Seattle. I can't count on a 21 song set, ESP not in NYC. And for someone who does not know Penn back and forth, (I remember the place, it's quite big) unless I know EXACTLY where I am going to get the 11:45, , I won't have time to spare. If the band finishes at 11:30 (which is likely), how can you guaruntee that I'll be able to get out of the place that quickly--I'm in the rafters, PLUS I have to meet back up with the guy who got me my ticket, (and foot traffic after the show is slow, I was at the Oct 25 show in 2001, so I know)--it's just not a possibilty. It;s not like I can just run out the door. And let me repeat: I am NOT leaving early.

Plus, you know the mental state you are typically in after a U2 show. And after hearing "40" for the first time in my life, How will I be able to concentrate:0)

J/k about that last.

As of today: I have mailed people on 3 mailing lists and 2 other sites..and still no luck.

PS Daveman. That's sweet of you but I am DEAD BROKE--the credit card is not even an option at this point.

Teta040 said:
Thanks again, Headache...

but let me repeat....

The band did 22 or 23 songs in Seattle. I can't count on a 21 song set, ESP not in NYC. And for someone who does not know Penn back and forth, (I remember the place, it's quite big) unless I know EXACTLY where I am going to get the 11:45, , I won't have time to spare. If the band finishes at 11:30 (which is likely), how can you guaruntee that I'll be able to get out of the place that quickly--I'm in the rafters, PLUS I have to meet back up with the guy who got me my ticket, (and foot traffic after the show is slow, I was at the Oct 25 show in 2001, so I know)--it's just not a possibilty. It;s not like I can just run out the door. And let me repeat: I am NOT leaving early.

Plus, you know the mental state you are typically in after a U2 show. And after hearing "40" for the first time in my life, How will I be able to concentrate:0)

J/k about that last.

As of today: I have mailed people on 3 mailing lists and 2 other sites..and still no luck.

dude i don't know what to tell ya... there is an 11:00pm curfew in new york city for concerts... any show that goes past 11 faces a fine of 20,000 some odd dollars... so if ya still think they're going till 11:30 and don't wanna risk it, fine... but i am willing to bet that the show will be over by 11.

it's your call... you've gotta decide what's worth sacraficing if you can't find anyone to help ya. :shrug:

mailing list for NYC May

Headache in a Suitcase said:
yea it looks like i was wrong... it is a pre-recorded tape.

but they'll still be in town on that day... so anything can happen. :shrug: who knows...

anyhooo... on to other things.

Let's get a mailing list started for everyone who's going to be in town for the show... post your e-mails here and i'll send out information re: meeting places, when everyone's getting in, night before gatherings, day of, etc. etc.

I will be in town from 19th - 22nd May and would be grateful for any info re happenings. sylviadickinsonu2@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks

although I don't have tickets to MSG, I'm hoping to wait in line all day at the box office (like everyone else). Are any of you going to the 5/22 Philly concert too? If so, how are you getting from NYC to Philly? Taking the train...a car? I have 5/22 GAs but I'm trying to decide if it's worth going to MSG, waiting in line for tickets, hopefully getting one, and then hopping on a train immediately afterwards. I'm hoping many others are in the same boat :)

anything new on the meetup after the show?

I just got tickets for the yanks/mets game that afternoon....a yankees game and a u2 concert at the garden :rockon:

dizzy, $12 for bus to philly??? thank you!! i'm on budget too :lol: all i need is a GA now! check your email please...

AlliDreamsOutLoud, we shall meet again!

Last edited:
I think I'm going :hyper:

I am not even going to risk getting on plane for $240 :crazy: without a ticket on hand... so as long as I get a decent seated ticket, I'll be there... then I'll try to "upgrade" to a GA

Wont be getting a room (will do the crazy less than 24 hours in the city thing like I did for Brooklyn and sleep in La Guardia) so if anyone is doing anything after the show... :wink:

Miroslava said:
I think I'm going :hyper:

I am not even going to risk getting on plane for $240 :crazy: without a ticket on hand... so as long as I get a decent seated ticket, I'll be there... then I'll try to "upgrade" to a GA

Wont be getting a room (will do the crazy less than 24 hours in the city thing like I did for Brooklyn and sleep in La Guardia) so if anyone is doing anything after the show... :wink:

Come to Philly with me! I think I'm taking Amtrak at 11:59pm and getting into Philly at 1:25am. Will sleep in a hotel room across from the venue. Then I'll stand in the GA line all day. Sound fun?!?! :hyper:

I have a 300 level seat for MSG and getting into NYC at 6am Sat morning. What time will you be arriving?

Dizzy, thanks for giving me info about the bus but I'm going to have to leave earlier than 11am Sunday because I'm meeting a friend. Hopefully we can meet up though! :)

Alli!

Well, trying to go to both shows was originally my plan but I have an early appointment with a client on Monday and I just can't get out of it so MSG is it for me... If all goes as planned, I will be arriving at 8:35 AM and heading straight to MSG (with ticket already on hand) and going to register to the GA line (just in case) and try to "upgrade"... if nothing else, I will try to meet the guys and then off to dinner with threwabrick...

*crosses fingers*

Will let you know :hyper:

PS: Your husband is a saint you crazy woman :sexywink:

Miroslava said:
Alli!

Well, trying to go to both shows was originally my plan but I have an early appointment with a client on Monday and I just can't get out of it so MSG is it for me... If all goes as planned, I will be arriving at 8:35 AM and heading straight to MSG (with ticket already on hand) and going to register to the GA line (just in case) and try to "upgrade"... if nothing else, I will try to meet the guys and then off to dinner with threwabrick...

*crosses fingers*

Will let you know :hyper:

PS: Your husband is a saint you crazy woman :sexywink:

I will see you in the GA line (or box office line). Trying to "upgrade" too. And yes, my husband is the BEST:sexywink:

Guess who is going?!? :hyper:

And if I don't upgrade, it wont be the end of the world... Section 202, row C...

:hyper:

My poor bank account :(

Miroslava said:
Guess who is going?!? :hyper:

And if I don't upgrade, it wont be the end of the world... Section 202, row C...

:hyper:

My poor bank account :(

:applaud: Yay! I am now even more excited about Saturday.

Will be emailing you soon. The great beast just got home and is growling for food....:|

:shifty:

So does anyone know which street the GA line gets started on... I'll be getting there relatively late 'cause my flight doesnt arrive until 8:45 at LaGuardia and I want to make sure I go straight to the line...

Also, I just planned this today, so normally I would be googling things left and right... I am assuming there are lockers at Penn Station? I am spending the night at LaGuardia for an early flight back to Detroit on Sunday, so I will have a small bag with a change of clothing I do not want to be carting around... I do not want to leave it at LaGuardia 'cause it might end up inside the security area and I wont be able to get to it right away...

Last edited:
Miroslava said:

So does anyone know which street the GA line gets started on... I'll be getting there relatively late 'cause my flight doesnt arrive until 8:45 at LaGuardia and I want to make sure I go straight to the line...

Also, I just planned this today, so normally I would be googling things left and right... I am assuming there are lockers at Penn Station? I am spending the night at LaGuardia for an early flight back to Detroit on Sunday, so I will have a small bag with a change of clothing I do not want to be carting around... I do not want to leave it at LaGuardia 'cause it might end up inside the security area and I wont be able to get to it right away...

i was thinking the same thing.....i'll have a small rolling suitcase with me....and I need to put it in a locker....i don't think i could cart it around in GA, or could i??? :shifty:

ps-miro, i'm glad someone is the adult around here but i'll miss you in philly :sad:

I fought with myself for a few more hours, but there was just no way I could pull it off comfortably :sad:

This is total icing on the cake though, so I will take MSG gladly... I am sure something amazing will happen to you and Ruffian at Philly and I will be kicking my own ass :sad:

We're gonna have so much fun :hyper:

Miroslava said:

That`s great you`re coming!

I don`t know for sure where the GA line-up will be but at the Oct. 24th show in 2001, they had us lining up in the south-east corner of the building, so I guess on 7th Avenue (starting at the corner of 31st street).

Thanks! I also have Alli's number, so I'll call as soon as I get out of the subway station to confirm where I should be going...

And Julie, you know what I look like, and vice versa, so definitely say hi if you see me first... :wave:

for the non GA-ers, where's everyone sitting?

I have to worst seats in the arena so you probably won't see me :wink:

Weird, I can't quote - everytime I do I get a picture of Edge!

Jess - that's great - maybe I'll see you tomorrow night!
You might have to call Sam (who arrived yesterday), Michelle and Tammy because we're all hitting the town tomorrow and might go to the UF show. (it's the long weekend here in Canada so we were all able to get away)

Miroslava - I got your DVD in the mail today! Perfect timing because I can bring it to NYC and give it to the 3 above who also attended the Brooklyn show (they'll have to find a place where they can make a copy...Kinko's maybe?). Good luck getting a GA on saturday!! :)

As for my seat - I'm sure I have a worse location than you!
I'm in section 408, row F, seat 17.
I'm sitting alone so if anyone's in the area, please come say hi!!

- Julie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom