Many shows = boring or exciting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Look

The Fly
Hi,

I think about it a lot. Some people just go for one show and after that it was exciting and wonderful. I felt that in Popmart tour and Vertigo Tour (I just attended 1 show on each tour). After that I was dissapointing that I'm not going for another show.

This year I decided to go for more show (4 or 5) but I have doubts how you feel on 4th or 5th gig in a row. I love U2 but their setlist it's not so changeable. So on every show you listen almost the same songs hopefully you feel different beacause of place of show and people from different countries so you can feel changeable atmosphere.

How many show are you going to be this tour? How many you attended in the past?

Anyway what do you think about it, should I worried or maybe I should buy tickets for 5 more show:lol:?

I went to all 6 Elevation shows in Boston, and all 7 Vertigos, and I can tell you that although the setlists may have been similar, the experience was very different each time. The band's energy and connection with the audience is different each night, and your seat locations are likely to be different, too. You might be surprised how your opinion of a show is influenced by the other people in your section, and whether they're into it or not. Also fun to see the show from different angles - a really cool vantage point is actually behind the stage. We were there at Vertigo Boston6, and it paid off when we could see that the band hadn't left the under-stage area after the second encore - and everyone who left the arena missed the unexpected third encore.

Don't be financially irrresponsible, of course, but my advice is to go to as many as you can afford, or risk missing the one AMAZING show of the bunch. My $0.02...

ive always regretted only going to one Popmart show, because of the sheer experience of it and plus we were pretty trashed for the show.

I would say go to as many as you can afford to, we went to 4 Elevation shows and that was about right. This tour we have tickets for two shows, and if there is another leg next year then we will do one or two for that one as well.

You don't buy the concert dvd and only watch it one time now do you?

I always try and see a few shows each Leg and spread them out. I've never seen more than two U2 shows consecutively; I think that might burn me out. I saw a total of nine Vertigo shows but it was over a year and a half--from the SD opener to the Bonolulu closer. So far I'm seeing 4 360 shows, but I'm missing the first Leg and who knows what 2010 will bring.

Mark

6 Elevation shows in Boston??? Or, 4 Boston shows, 2 RI shows ha. I am seeing five this fall. Just enough to not get depressed after the show, but enough that I'll be okay after the last show. And they are spread out by days and weeks. Also, I'll probably see 2-3 next year depending on how I like it

SMB

i'm annoyed how people react when I tell them I'm seeing 5 shows. The standard reply I got EVERY SINGLE TIME was "oh gee, you're seeing the same show 5 times?".

Well, no. Not at all.

I'm seeing 5 different shows, with a different(albeit there are a bunch of identical songs ofcourse) setlist and a different experience.

Yeah, you are right GG.
I guess the whole experience before each show (Gatherings, location venue), makes it different also each time. Not only the performance from the band.
At least that's it provides me.

Hi,

I think about it a lot. Some people just go for one show and after that it was exciting and wonderful. I felt that in Popmart tour and Vertigo Tour (I just attended 1 show on each tour). After that I was dissapointing that I'm not going for another show.

This year I decided to go for more show (4 or 5) but I have doubts how you feel on 4th or 5th gig in a row. I love U2 but their setlist it's not so changeable. So on every show you listen almost the same songs hopefully you feel different beacause of place of show and people from different countries so you can feel changeable atmosphere.

How many show are you going to be this tour? How many you attended in the past?

Anyway what do you think about it, should I worried or maybe I should buy tickets for 5 more show:lol:?

buy tix to 5 more shows! :lol::up:

i've been to 48 since popmart. even tho i didn't love certain elements of the vertigo tour, seeing u2 live is a miracle drug, and i'm addicted. seeing them muultiple times never ruined an experience or made a show less exciting. even if the set list stays the same every night, the performances/shows/atmoshpere/excitement change per venue/city.

so go all out and have a ball!!!:wave:

I can't go to just one show, then I'll want to go to more and I'll have to buy tickets that are too expensive. I don't like to live with regrets. U2 always makes me want to come back for more. Get tickets to as many shows as you want. Who cares what other people think.

I wouldn't want to see only one show, because it would be frustrating for me not to be able to see them again. So I go to a couple of shows. However, I wouldn't go to too many because it somehow ruins the excitement. I don't want to get to the point where I'm starting to analyse everything or where I'm starting to get bored. I want to keep the magic alive, so a couple of shows with some time in between are just right.

i'm annoyed how people react when I tell them I'm seeing 5 shows. The standard reply I got EVERY SINGLE TIME was "oh gee, you're seeing the same show 5 times?".

Well, no. Not at all.

I'm seeing 5 different shows, with a different(albeit there are a bunch of identical songs ofcourse) setlist and a different experience.

5 shows is 5 times the :drool:

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

seriously, multiple shows is my idea of heaven !!!!!! when they come down under i am soooooo going to as many shows around the country as possible . :combust:

I went seven Vertigo shows, and my heart would literally start pounding with excitement just before the start of every show. They were all fun and wonderful. Go to multiple shows if you can afford it. You won't be sorry. :)

i have seen u2 24 times now, with several back to back shows. my favorite stretch of any time, is going to the first 6 shows of elevation. only time i did that many consecutively , but there was something really great about having that many in a row. i remember after the 2nd one being very excited that i had 4 more to see. the only bad part was after the 6th one, i didn't see them again until the fall leg. i was having withdrawal for a couple of weeks. i also had to go back to a job i hated after being off for almost 2 months- that certainly didn't help.

its not for everyone to see that many shows, but i have never been bored even in after 6 straight shows.

Good thread!

3 or 4 Unforgettable Fires
1 Conspiracy of Hope
About a dozen Joshua Trees
1 Zoo
NO Popmarts
1 Elevation
4 Vertigos

My only regret is only seeing Zoo once and missing PopMart and not seeing Elevation more. Right now, I have tickets for both nights in Chicago and am seriously contemplating a Raleigh.

A Miracle Drug indeed!!

love, A

Hi,

I understand what you mean about being disappointed when the shows are over. That's one of the reasons I went to the last Vertigo stop at Aloha Stadium (all the way from MA). At the time I had no idea when the next time I could see my fave band would be!

I say go for it and see as many shows as you can this time around! Even though people look at me like i am crazy when i tell them i am going to 2 shows in Foxboro and 2 in London! :hyper:

Well, no. Not at all.

yeah I get that as well- people who know me well enough just don't say anything any more-

not that she could stop me doing it but an ex boss of mine didn't really "approve" of it on the Madonna Confessions Tour because it meant my hours changed for the week of the shows, and got in the way of work- but hell I had a huge amount of fun and that's what it's all about really- and I still managed to be moderately productive for those hours I was in the office

as for U2 I'm seeing 7 shows this time round but they're spread out through the summer- Barcelona, Dublin (1, 2, 3) then Wembley (1, 2) and Cardiff- which has worked out well really- means I won't get burnt out on the show

my view is that it's my money and you only live once so why not enjoy it- I don't do clubbing and expensive nights in the pub anymore so this is my equivalent of that

Definitely recommend seeing more than one if you can afford it (time and money wise). I went to 11 Elevation shows, sometimes up to 3 in a row and I do confess that I actually enjoyed the shows more when they weren't back-to-back but had a little bit of time in between (except for multiples in the same city). On Vertigo, I went to 8 with the rationale that I was more about quality than quantity. And I enjoyed every single one of those. I was even lucky enough to see a show in Tokyo during Vertigo which was so cool that I'd consider going to another show there without hesitation.

If you can swing it, by all means do it! Even if only one or two songs get switched out you may be lucky enough to hear a gem that hasn't been played in a while.:drool:

I saw 2 in a row on Elevation and that was good.

Saw 4 in a row on vertigo and was still enjoying #3, but #4 was a bit of a drag.

I htink this time I'll see 3 shows over the space of a month.

Remember, waiting in GA lines can be VERY tiring if you do it 2-3times in a week. No matter how old or young you are. Just showing up for a seat helps a lot. Another helpful hint is getting distinct vantage points so you can seperate the shows in your memory(try behind the stage!!!) I look down on those that do GA over and over and over and over again.

If you can help it, have "bad" seats the first night and good seats the second. NOT the other way around as it feels a bit anti-climactic.

If they bust out some deeper cuts and actually rotate them(more than a couple times over a tour) it would be more of an excuse to see more shows.

I'd suggest going to a show or 2 first and don't get your hopes up for certain songs to be played. I went to 2 Vertigo shows on the 1st leg and I was hoping the 3rd leg would be changed up a little. But it wasn't. While I don't regret going to 7 more on the 3rd leg, i'll admit, it wasn't the time of my life that I hoped it would be. Listening to human rights girl over and over kinda dampened things for me. On the other hand, I went to 1 Elevation show, and I wish I could go back and see more. That said, I'm planning on 4 US fall shows, but I'm going with an open mind and without a negative attitude.

If you go to 5 shows : 1 of them will be ok, 2 will be good, 1 will be great and 1 will be almost a religious experience its so good. This is how i feel about seeing multiple shows. Also, when i say 'ok' i still mean better than any other band. Also, if there are multiple nights in a certain city, then the last one is usually the best. Go to as many as you can afford. You will only regret it if you don't. I usually find as the tour goes on i get more addicted. There are so many people i know who say 'i am only doing 5', then do 30. Good Times. x

There was a definite advantage for me to take in GA and lower level bowl seats for Vertigo Tour, first in Boston, second in Toronto (GA). Was able to see Zoo Station and Discotheque performances during the tour and catching Eddie Vedder up on stage was a treat for me.

Being really really close up front may have a disadvantage for some though - kind of like showing up to the movies late, having front row seats and a headache 2 hours later due to eye strain.

Being on the outside ring this tour will probably be really great for some, but I have a feeling some will have a greater experience a little further away, by way of taking "more of it in".

I'd like to know for this tour if anyone will need to wear ear plugs due to excessive concert-going.

I'd like to know for this tour if anyone will need to wear ear plugs due to excessive concert-going.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I heartily recommend earplugs no matter how many shows you're seeing. I wore them for the first time on Vertigo, and what a difference! Actually easier to understand Bono's rants - er, speeches. And ZERO ringing the next day, which means less damage, if any. :up:

Back
Top Bottom