Magnificent Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely an Unforgettable Fire type of song with a modern spin... Love the intro and the lead break. Not my favorite song on the album but I never could fully appreciate The Unforgettable Fire (the track) which is what Magnificent is reminiscent of. I'm sort of feeling blah on Edge and his Boy/ War style guitar riffs but that's just a personal taste thing.

I dont know why I cant get into this song...the beach clip still sounds more epic than the final product. Judging from the beach clip they did major changing of the lyrics, larrys drums and fractioned Eno's ambience.

Agree with you 10000%!!!

The Beach Clip certainly sounded more epic.

I loved the beach clip version because of its simplicity, power and soul because it wasn't diluted by the mixing process. It was pure instinctive U2!

If you listen to the beach clip version, it just feels that the song kept building and building the emotion and passion, in the album version it feels emasculated :(

Larry's drumming was just simply powerful and he pounded the thing!

Bono's vocals were soulful without a hint of exaggeration or flamboyance, just pure soul!

Adam's bass was the spine that provided the train tracks to this epic monster.

Edge's guitar spoke volumes in its simplicity as opposed to what was diluted in the mixing process.

Don't get me wrong, the album version is fine.

But U2 had the magic potion and over-thought it!

They've always had he magic potion, i just wish they would go with their initial gut instinct!

I appreciate the 45 seconds we've heard of magnificent, as well as Beach Clip #4!

Here's to hoping the whole song is as great as these things have led us to believe!

I sincerely hope you all are kidding. Not only is U2 streaming it on u2.com and MySpace but it's all over the airwaves. I think that justifies hearing it at some point before the release.

Agree with you 10000%!!!

I loved the beach clip version because of its simplicity, power and soul because it wasn't diluted by the mixing process. It was pure instinctive U2!

If you listen to the beach clip version, it just feels that the song kept building and building the emotion and passion, in the album version it feels emasculated :(

Bono's vocals were soulful without a hint of exaggeration or flamboyance, just pure soul!

Edge's guitar spoke volumes in its simplicity as opposed to what was diluted in the mixing process.

They've always had he magic potion, i just wish they would go with their initial gut instinct!

Are you kidding me??? The beach clip was shit and so was the quality so there is no way that you can say the beach clip was more epic :huh:

Agree with you 10000%!!!

Maybe it's just me but I honestly cannot tell the difference between the
Magnificent beach clip and the album version. WTF are you hearing that's so much different?

Besides, the beach clip's quality sucks - how can you hear details to even make a fair comparison?

And the album version is fully EPIC.

I hate to say it this early but I honestly think that this song may be a top 5 all time U2 song for me, I loved it when I first heard it as beach clip 4 and the album version blew my already high expectations away.

Bono has been talking about how theres no central theme to the album but theres a lot going on in the periphery, and I think Magnificent does an incredible job with that on a musical level. You have this otherworldly guitar riff coming in and out of the song, almost like background noise. I have a feeling it may have been inspired by hearing the call to prayer while in the riad in Fez.

Always was a clunker of a song compared to Beautiful Day so I don't buy it. Then theres Lady With the Spinning Head vs. The Fly, Sweetest Thing B-Side vs Sweetest Thing Single, and the list goes on.

Anyway I don't think they touched this song that much. The acoustics of the recording is probably more of what you're perceiving as differences in the sound. We thought ABOY sounded totally different as well when we heard the Beach Clip but it was likely just the acoustics of how the clip was recorded.

Someone else needs to rate this thread.
rating_5.gif

Rated.

Ok, so I put on my headsets and started going to walk to buy my lunch and I press play on this song......I listen to it loud..........and I start walking like JohnTravolta in Saturday Night Fever

Back
Top Bottom