Madonna appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great album that had the misfortune of being tied to her tissues-and-baby-oil-at-the-ready book, Sex.

Hope you're not driving one handed.

My favorite track from Erotica has to be "Rain", to be honest. "Erotica" and "Deeper and Deeper" are great tracks as well.

My favorite track from Erotica has to be "Rain", to be honest. "Erotica" and "Deeper and Deeper" are great tracks as well.

Erotica has U2's Pop syndrome: both are awesome albums, both were undershadowed by the first promotional video or so.
And both have been gaining general recognition lately.

Tracks like "Bye Bye Baby", "Bad Girl" and "Deeper And Deeper" have been growing on me. Still my favourites are "Secret Garden", "Erotica", "Rain" and the cover of "Fever" which I've always found interesting.

I like the fact that Madonna's working with a great producer that has made great albums with her. It can be a good sign.

But I'm afraid, after entering the 50's, failled relationships, and with her "mania" of still looking young, that she wants to do another Ray Of Light (more or less the same way U2 have been wanting to equal their past soundscapes on these last years). Every Madonna album is different from each other. I'd like to see something really new again from her... And rather distant from Hard Candy's sound/aesthetics.

...And please, get your ass back on stimulating, visually violent and defying music videos, Madonna! You've been too lazy on it over the past 5/6 years...

Never pictured Noel dancing to 'Like A Virgin'.

“It’s all about the meat suit and the controversy.
Is it about the music?
Really?
She’s got the publicity side sorted out, but where’s the fucking music?
Paparazzi? It’s Madonna lite.
Madonna was hardcore.
She took it to the edge musically as well as everything else.
Twenty years from now, will we listen to Lady Gaga?
No. She might think she is making a stand for the freaks and the weirdos but they’re not going to have any decent fucking music to play are they?”

Noel Gallagher: Madonna Took it to the Edge Musically ? Madonnarama

Let the tour rumors begin, or continue. Supposedly, there's a picture of a tour draft floating around:

http://www.drownedmadonna.com/index/item/149-madonnas-2012-tour-itinerary-sneak-peak-true-or-false?.html

About 6 hours ago DrownedMadonna.com received an interesting email from an unconfirmed insider. Apparently the itinerary of Madonna's next tour will be revealed at a press conference to be held on Monday, October 31st. What we have been sent is also a likely first tour itinerary draft.
According to the anonymous source, Live Nation is still negotiating with China. The source says Chinese authorities want to know what songs Madonna will perform and have also sent a list of songs Madonna is not allowed to sing in China. Among them "Material Girl" and "Erotica." Madonna would really like to perform in China.
If the first itinerary draft - which is shown below - is genuine, the tour would start in New Zeland on March 31, 2012. Next it would stop in Australia, Singapore, Thailand, South Korea, Japan, UAE and Israel. Besides China, apparently there are also negotiations for the Philippines and Taiwan. The next leg would move to Europe and then to North America. Also note that according to this unconfirmed itinerary draft, Europe this time has both arenas and stadiums, the USA is all stadiums (the opposite of "Sticky and Sweet").

Finally, the anonymous source told us that there will be more shows announced at the beginning 2012, apparently in Latin America. It was said Madonna would also like to visit South Africa around October 2012.
We really cannot confirm or deny this itinerary draft at this point. We can only say that it contrasts with what we originally heard some months ago: a June start for the tour, with rehearsals in March. Anyway, after a few hours of debate, we decided to share it with all Madonna's fans. We leave it up to you to decide.

unconfirmedtouritinary.jpg

One thing's for sure, if this ends up being true, I don't know who convinced her to do a full stadium tour in the United States, or even globally for that matter. Not believing this, for now.

I will pin a tiny twinge of tentative hope on this, as I would LOVE if she came to Seattle. She's on my bucket list of people to see in concert.

Edit: The inclusion of Moncton makes me believe the list a little bit less. It's possible, of course, that they're making an attempt to have more frequent concerts there, or it's possible that Queen Madge thought "The Stones and U2 have played there? I'm bigger than both of them .... put together! I'm playing there, too!" but ....... I dunno.

I will pin a tiny twinge of tentative hope on this, as I would LOVE if she came to Seattle. She's on my bucket list of people to see in concert.

Edit: The inclusion of Moncton makes me believe the list a little bit less. It's possible, of course, that they're making an attempt to have more frequent concerts there, or it's possible that Queen Madge thought "The Stones and U2 have played there? I'm bigger than both of them .... put together! I'm playing there, too!" but ....... I dunno.

Believe it. I live in the area now and I can tell you that they are going to try to have one annual blowout show per year. And a relationship between local promoters and Live Nation has already been established, of course, so I think this will happen. Hotels are already being booked as rumours have been circulating about Madonna's show.

I'm not a huge fan, but I'll probably try to make it as she is one of those artists that I'd like to say I saw at least once in my life.

Believe it. I live in the area now and I can tell you that they are going to try to have one annual blowout show per year.

Cool, good for them! :up:

Nice that the people who live in that area will have more chances to see a big show come to their neck of the woods.

Here we go...an alleged demo version of Madonna's new single "Give Me All Your Love" has surfaced. You be the judge.

Madonna's 'Give Me All Your Love' Single: Listen to a Full Demo | Billboard.com

If you can't see it on the Billboard site, here's the alternate link:
Vidéo Madonna - Give Me All Your Love - Full New Single 2011 de MrMusic (Musique - MrMusic) - wat.tv

Other than some cheesy lyrics, I like the song. Sounds William Orbit/Martin Solveig-ish, which I really like. Can't wait for the new album.

I reaaaaally don't like it.

It's got that cheerleader vibe.

I mean, it's fun, and I like other songs that have that vibe (hi, Avril!), but I expect something beyond that from Madonna.

But, am still happy to hear she's got a new album coming. Hope there's plenty of other songs on the album I WILL like.

I reaaaaally don't like it.

It's got that cheerleader vibe.

I mean, it's fun, and I like other songs that have that vibe (hi, Avril!), but I expect something beyond that from Madonna.

But, am still happy to hear she's got a new album coming. Hope there's plenty of other songs on the album I WILL like.

I can't stand that L-U-V, Madonna! crap at all. :uhoh: The rest of the song is not bad. I wonder if she'll re-work the song in time for the album release, like she did with one of her songs on Hard Candy. Other than that, as you said, I hope there are other songs I will like, though this one was tolerable for me.

Hew... And I thought that after Hard Candy letdown and "Celebration"/"Revolver" bad moment she was gonna pull that bad taste back. Guess I was wrong.
The song is bad, doesn't seem interesting, the lyrics are not her worse of the last decade because "Celebration" is even worse.

I just hope she comes out with an interesting video with a strong message... Cause I can't remember the last time she did that.

I hope this is not representative at all of what's coming up. I'm just afraid that too many different producers will result again (like Hard Candy and even in Music - although this last one is very good) in a collection of mere pop songs with Top 40 potential with no cohesion at all.

Guess who will be playing the Super Bowl halftime show in Indianapolis on February 5th? :hyper:

Madonna to headline Super Bowl halftime show - CNN.com

NFL.com news: Super Bowl XLVI Halftime show will feature Madonna

Madonna has partnered with a creative team from Cirque du Soleil, Jamie King, and multimedia artists from Moment Factory, to create a signature performance for the Bridgestone Super Bowl XLVI Halftime Show.

:hmm: Really don't know how to react to this, but it will be interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNJbOtHjhDU

And a demo of another new song leaked (but her team has already pulled it off Youtube). It's a track called "Masterpiece", produced by William Orbit, composed for Madonna's new directed movie, but it seems it'll be on her new album also.

I didn't like it very much. The lyrics are not bad, but Madonna has wrote already better. The instrumental it's a mix between R&B mid-tempo beat and kizomba style, with the chord progressions and vocal melody just like "Time Stood Still" or "The Power Of Good-bye".
It's a demo, but I'm not impressed and still have low expectations for the new album after this, after the cheerleading demo and after what Madonna presented in the latest years (Hard Candy and the very poor Celebration bonus tracks).

This is this Madonna Appreciation Thread, people! Get with it! I think its awesome that she's performing during Halftime at the Super Bowl! Especially, when the Black Eyed Peas sucked last year during the Big Game. Plus, obviously, my guess is she's using the game to promote the new stuff she'll have coming out. Yeah baby!

there is an HQ version of Masterpiece out there now- it sounds great. best thing she's done since COADF (which admittedly isn't saying much).

didn't like the other track that leaked- same type of crap she did on Hard Candy

(Am I allowed to dissent on this thread? Please skip this post if I'm not.)

I don't like Madonna's media personality past or present, and I consider her musical output since the 80s (that which I've heard) totally disposable.

When I was a wee tyke, in the mid to late 80s, Madonna was the biggest personality in pop and I fell under her spell briefly. I used to own a few of her 80s albums, which I rather enjoyed. As far as 80s pop goes, they're not bad at all. In retrospect, I'd say the albums are actually quite forgettable but for a few sunny pop hits, so her hits collection is all you'd need (if you were so disposed). The lone exception would be her '89 album Like A Prayer, which -- attention-grabbing single and video excepted -- is a very solid album, with a diversity of styles, some very good songcraft (even a Prince tune), and better than usual vocals. I think that's a great example of 80s pop.

After that, nothing whatsoever interests me, albeit I haven't been listening. Madonna became a victim of the 80s in the alt-rock early-90s era and was actually a bit of an anachronism, which is likely where she should have stayed. Instead, she hired a new stylist, paid big bucks for the trendiest producers, and waited around for the teen-pop trend to come back (hello, Britney) and then rode out her career as a pop "survivor".

That kind of choreographed live show completely turns me off, but it must float some people's boats.

As for her image, I can only say that it's regrettable. It's sad to think of how many kids my age -- and especially girls -- thought nothing was wrong with Madonna's "slut" image (remember the "Boy Toy" T-shirt on the album cover), and considered it the normal thing to do. This when kids were 10 or 12 years old. Later, of course, it became commonplace for fading female singers to adopt the "slut look" in order to reinvigorate their careers, so I guess that's Madonna's personal legacy.

Finally, Madonna's enormous appeal to the gay community also baffles me. I get that she sexed it up and brought in-the-closet sexuality out of the closet, but she did it while acting like a street-tart for 1950s' lumberjacks.

(Am I allowed to dissent on this thread? Please skip this post if I'm not.)

I don't like Madonna's media personality past or present, and I consider her musical output since the 80s (that which I've heard) totally disposable.

When I was a wee tyke, in the mid to late 80s, Madonna was the biggest personality in pop and I fell under her spell briefly. I used to own a few of her 80s albums, which I rather enjoyed. As far as 80s pop goes, they're not bad at all. In retrospect, I'd say the albums are actually quite forgettable but for a few sunny pop hits, so her hits collection is all you'd need (if you were so disposed). The lone exception would be her '89 album Like A Prayer, which -- attention-grabbing single and video excepted -- is a very solid album, with a diversity of styles, some very good songcraft (even a Prince tune), and better than usual vocals. I think that's a great example of 80s pop.

After that, nothing whatsoever interests me, albeit I haven't been listening. Madonna became a victim of the 80s in the alt-rock early-90s era and was actually a bit of an anachronism, which is likely where she should have stayed. Instead, she hired a new stylist, paid big bucks for the trendiest producers, and waited around for the teen-pop trend to come back (hello, Britney) and then rode out her career as a pop "survivor".

That kind of choreographed live show completely turns me off, but it must float some people's boats.

As for her image, I can only say that it's regrettable. It's sad to think of how many kids my age -- and especially girls -- thought nothing was wrong with Madonna's "slut" image (remember the "Boy Toy" T-shirt on the album cover), and considered it the normal thing to do. This when kids were 10 or 12 years old. Later, of course, it became commonplace for fading female singers to adopt the "slut look" in order to reinvigorate their careers, so I guess that's Madonna's personal legacy.

Finally, Madonna's enormous appeal to the gay community also baffles me. I get that she sexed it up and brought in-the-closet sexuality out of the closet, but she did it while acting like a street-tart for 1950s' lumberjacks.

Are you forgetting that, liker or not, Madonna is one of the few pop music icons that is dissected by the most important contemporary authors of cultural studies, mostly because of her importance in the gender (although she approached others too) issue/pilar?
Or is that the vision of someone who mostly know her biggest hits and also haven't heard most of her records of the seconds half of her career?
You may not like her, which is very legitimate, but it's a very narrow view over a persona who's probably one of the biggest references of contemporary popular culture, don't you think?

Are you forgetting that, liker or not, Madonna is one of the few pop music icons that is dissected by the most important contemporary authors of cultural studies, mostly because of her importance in the gender (although she approached others too) issue/pilar?
So... what exactly is her importance?

So... what exactly is her importance?

Do you know what are the main "lenses" through which you have read a cultural issue, any cultural situation? If not, go read about it for a while and then get back to this topic to reply my comment. Only then you'll know what I'm (me and many of the most important cultural studies' authors) talking about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom