LP13 There is no album - only lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In general..
Not a chance: U2 dropping a ‘surprise’ album.
More likely: They like the idea of a surprise album but don’t have the balls. Will try and make it as much of a ‘surprise’ as possible while still maintaining the standard big promo push pre-release that makes them feel safe and happy. Makes sense in light of their reluctance to talk about it (compared to the norm) and lack of lead in promo (e.g. trickles of stuff from the studio etc that we normally have by now). Keep it quiet until they absolutely must start talking.
Most likely: They had a March/April date circled on their calendars up until very late last year, and started planning accordingly. Got themselves a Super Bowl deal tied up, got themselves on the opening Fallon show, probably a bunch of other stuff, freaked out as usual and delayed the album so they can water down some parts, shoehorn some bullshit into some other parts etc etc but they couldn’t shut down or delay all aspects of their March/April planning and everything really is just thrown off a bit. It seems a bit weird and confused because it is.

Fallon…
Not a chance: Our album is called Invisible and it’s coming out tomorrow.
Maybe: Our album is called X, we’re almost done, and it will be out on June X.
Probably: Commitment to ‘it’ being out in June (ie in that situation, with such a wide audience, it won’t be a slip – if they say it, they mean it). But no name, no specific date, no further specific details. No new news. Then onto generic Bono-hype about it being the best thing ever, Edge listing influences you will not actually hear at all on the album, Adam and Larry looking around the studio for clues as to which country they’re currently in.

Excellently put. :up:

Sorry to say, but there's absolutely no way The Edge, Larry and Adam could play most of those songs. The time changes alone would send the rhythm section into a crashing halt.

It was a non-serious response, by the way. ;) Not at all seriously saying they should try and be prog rock.

Not related to everything, but just had a re-encounter this morning and I really hope we get EBW

"I thought I heard the master's voice" is one of my favorite U2 moments, classic First Time vein...

also seems like the kind of thing melancholy Danger Mouse would take and make beautiful.

So do we think in a few years time we'll be talking about the failure of this album being due to the wasted opportunity of the Super Bowl? Much like the poor decisions to lead off NLOTH with GOYB and Discotheque off of Pop?

Invisible seems to be fairly liked, especially compared to GYOB. But not sure it's going to help them at all. Nice to have the charity aspect but it's not like the song is tearing up the charts.

Beautiful Day needed the Grammys. Vertigo needed a commercial.

Just seems so odd they want to be relevant, yet they hurt themselves with their cold feet and odd marketing

In general..
Not a chance: U2 dropping a ‘surprise’ album.
More likely: They like the idea of a surprise album but don’t have the balls. Will try and make it as much of a ‘surprise’ as possible while still maintaining the standard big promo push pre-release that makes them feel safe and happy. Makes sense in light of their reluctance to talk about it (compared to the norm) and lack of lead in promo (e.g. trickles of stuff from the studio etc that we normally have by now). Keep it quiet until they absolutely must start talking.
Most likely: They had a March/April date circled on their calendars up until very late last year, and started planning accordingly. Got themselves a Super Bowl deal tied up, got themselves on the opening Fallon show, probably a bunch of other stuff, freaked out as usual and delayed the album so they can water down some parts, shoehorn some bullshit into some other parts etc etc but they couldn’t shut down or delay all aspects of their March/April planning and everything really is just thrown off a bit. It seems a bit weird and confused because it is.

Fallon…
Not a chance: Our album is called Invisible and it’s coming out tomorrow.
Maybe: Our album is called X, we’re almost done, and it will be out on June X.
Probably: Commitment to ‘it’ being out in June (ie in that situation, with such a wide audience, it won’t be a slip – if they say it, they mean it). But no name, no specific date, no further specific details. No new news. Then onto generic Bono-hype about it being the best thing ever, Edge listing influences you will not actually hear at all on the album, Adam and Larry looking around the studio for clues as to which country they’re currently in.

Could someone PLEASE show Earnie the door? There's way too much logic in this post and Interland doesn't deal to well wit dat.

So do we think in a few years time we'll be talking about the failure of this album being due to the wasted opportunity of the Super Bowl? Much like the poor decisions to lead off NLOTH with GOYB and Discotheque off of Pop?

Invisible seems to be fairly liked, especially compared to GYOB. But not sure it's going to help them at all. Nice to have the charity aspect but it's not like the song is tearing up the charts.

Beautiful Day needed the Grammys. Vertigo needed a commercial.

Just seems so odd they want to be relevant, yet they hurt themselves with their cold feet and odd marketing

Is "relevance" solely associated with commercial success? The new album could be as great as Achtung Baby in terms of artistry, but could still be a dud in the charts. Rock albums just don't sell anymore, I don't care who it is. Even The Killers and Kings of Leon, two of the Indie Rock flavors of the month and the soundtrack to Victoria Secret runway shows, showed a drop in sales on the new albums. So this concept of "relevance" is a tricky thing. They obviously need a commercially successful album to feed the corporate beast, but that obviously won't mean a hell of lot to forum posters unless the music is great. So relevant to the U2 fan, or the masses?

@VLAD or Nick, without having me to go through all of those pages of posts or you guys be too detailed - wth happened here over the weekend, that seemed to be a "Special Meltdown"....

Hits and chart success matter to U2, not to me.

I know they want to put the best songs out there. But this is the 3rd time they've gotten cold feet. I will admit the Chris Thomas sessions didn't sound great and the versions we got were much better (great collection of songs, not a flowing album).

NLOTH has it's famous middle section. I like boots. I hate Crazy.

My fear (and others) is that this new album is getting the Crazy Tonight treatment.

I have tried to make sense of this very fact over and over again, it seems so pointless to me. What exactly are they trying to chase at this point and what in the Bands mind = relevancy. :shrug:

@VLAD or Nick, without having me to go through all of those pages of posts or you guys be too detailed - wth happened here over the weekend, that seemed to be a "Special Meltdown"....

sorry to butt in, but part of it was called not being allowed to find something offensive or unfunny and being forced to explain why why why - that was pretty special :hyper:

such a wretched hive of scum and villainy. it's almost new thread time.. thank god.

time to molt.

Earnie might just be the most universally loved poster on this site.

This forum is very lucky to have his contributions.

And this thread is lucky to have a title that actually is a bit amusing. I imagine by the time I wake up in the morning we'll be onto another new album thread with the usual poor joke or pun title.

No, I think it's because of all the stimulating discussion happening in here.

:lmao:

I hope the film adaptation is directed by Michael Bay, no explosion is big enough to match the fiery romance these two share.

This forum is very lucky to have his contributions.

And this thread is lucky to have a title that actually is a bit amusing. I imagine by the time I wake up in the morning we'll be onto another new album thread with the usual poor joke or pun title.

:lmao:

Ax - a discussion last week begged a question that possibly only you could answer for me.... Other than Nantes and Montreal what in your opinion is the best bootleg from TUF Tour???

They obviously need a commercially successful album to feed the corporate beast, but that obviously won't mean a hell of lot to forum posters unless the music is great. So relevant to the U2 fan, or the masses?

Who says that the two are mutually exclusive though? The fans also have a difference of opinion with just about every album that comes out, so anything that's released isn't going to satisfy everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom