LP13 - The Final Countdown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
seriously? :ohmy:

only worth it if it's Peter Gabriel fronting, not bloody Phil Collins :D

They've been promising us for about...oh, ten years or so now that they were going to do a reunion gig with both Peter and Phil. That's less likely to happen, now that Phil's gone into semi-retirement. But maybe...just maybe.

Phil's stint as the lead singer of Genesis, fwiw, isn't as bad as people like to make it out to be. They released several albums after Peter's departure that were true to the original form. And every album continued to have progressive elements to them, those just weren't the songs getting played on the radio.

Phil's stint as the lead singer of Genesis, fwiw, isn't as bad as people like to make it out to be. They released several albums after Peter's departure that were true to the original form. And every album continued to have progressive elements to them, those just weren't the songs getting played on the radio.

:up:

A Trick of the Tail especially is excellent.

I feel that Genesis' low point was the era where they were still prog-rocky right after Gabriel left. Trick, Wind and Wuth, And then... honestly it wasn't til Duke that they started to get good again. And I say that as a supreme Gabriel fan. My fave album of theirs is Lamb. A song like Dance on a Volcano is good, but I can't listen to it without thinking "God, what Gabriel would've fucking done with this!!!" No knock against Collins. Their pop stuff is stellar. I think they were best after Gabriel when they completely changed direction. It felt more natural. Cue Patrick Bateman speech...

This is seriously gorgeous. Especially the end of it. I'd never heard of it. What a great interpretation of a perfect song.

Regarding Mary J. Blige: I'm not a huge fan of her vocals on One. Like others, I think that she overdoes it. But I don't hate the version as much as I used to.

However, there is a U2 song for which her singing is much better suited: Moment of Surrender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL4CMGq8v40

This is seriously gorgeous. Especially the end of it. I'd never heard of it. What a great interpretation of a perfect song.

Regarding Mary J. Blige: I'm not a huge fan of her vocals on One. Like others, I think that she overdoes it. But I don't hate the version as much as I used to.

However, there is a U2 song for which her singing is much better suited: Moment of Surrender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL4CMGq8v40

My biggest issue with MJB is that she over-sings EVERYTHING. She has no real dynamic range other than louder/softer. You throw in those melodic inflections later in a song to convey emotional build up. It seems to me, and this may be where the comment someone made earlier about her not getting what One meant, that she doesn't mimic the emotion in the song through her singing, she just wants to show off her tricks.

I cringe when I read critiques of her version of One and people say 'that version with Beyonce, of Rhianna, or whoever' - you don't have to like the genre, but don't be outwardly ignorant for the sake of it. I'd have loved that version, the way U2 play in t etc if it had either Beyonce or Rhianna instead of MJB.

Case in point:
Bono - "it leaves you darling, if you don't care for it"
MJB - "It leaves you darling, if you don't caaaaaaa-aaaaaa-aa-aa-rrrrr-rrrrrr-rrr-rrrr-eeeeee for iiiiiit... ooooo---o-ooooh-oo--ooo-hoo-hhh-oooo-oo--ooo-oohhhho-ohohho-"

To me, the power in that line is in the understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDQJnI4OhU

I get that song lyrics are open to interpretation, but some interpretations are more, shall we say, legitimate than others. For example, Reagan seemed to think Born in the USA was a patriotic anthem. He was a bit off the mark there.

Born In The USA is about a very specific subject matter.

One, purposefully, is not. It's more vague in nature.

So I don't see the comparison whatsoever

One's greatness is in it's universal appeal and inclusiveness... So to see people argue that one person's interpretation means she doesn't understand what the song was about is still baffling.

But whatever.

or Mary J Blige:lol:

Spoke too soon. I wish I could implant a detonator in Interference fans that will explode their brains if they even think about Blige once. Complaining about her is as pertinent about the new album as complaining about having sweaty balls. No one cares!
I don't mind sidetracks if they are funny or interesting but this is like a Syrian torture chamber and getting my nails ripped out with pliers.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

We desperately need SuperYo with the album title, track listing, and the new single.

Sent from my iPod touch using U2 Interference

I'm sure he'll put himself under house arrest from September 1st onwards. Sleeping during the day, monitoring the web overnight. :wink:

I feel that Genesis' low point was the era where they were still prog-rocky right after Gabriel left. Trick, Wind and Wuth, And then... honestly it wasn't til Duke that they started to get good again. And I say that as a supreme Gabriel fan. My fave album of theirs is Lamb. A song like Dance on a Volcano is good, but I can't listen to it without thinking "God, what Gabriel would've fucking done with this!!!" No knock against Collins. Their pop stuff is stellar. I think they were best after Gabriel when they completely changed direction. It felt more natural. Cue Patrick Bateman speech...

I can totally understand that. I personally love their pop output. It's hard to separate a band from its past, when the past was so good, but sometimes, I guess you just have to realize that a band can sometimes go through an immense paradigm shift and still be good, just a different type of good than they once were.

Trick of the Tail is awesome.

You got me to actually go to U2.com for the first time in possibly years. I noticed their soundcloud playlist...wtf, that's random as hell, lol.

it's only updated when there's a news story about music.. so basically, that playlist takes you back through the last 12 months of U2.com updates that actually had to do with their music.. from Invisible, to Ordinary Love, to the anniversary of Rattle & Hum

It's not in every case, but in a lot of the bashing of MJB for her effort in that song, I'm honestly at a loss for any other explanation. And I'm not going any further than to say that for a lot of people, Rock and R&B seem like different worlds, and shouldn't be paired.

Another thought I had was that her vocal stylings on the song were good to the point of being threatening to folks who hold the original rendition sacred. Could be it. Or people just don't like it... But that's not the same as saying it's bad, or doesn't work, and that seems to be a big point of confusion on these boards.

I mean, listen to the live versions where Bono ends with the 'i hear you coming... I hear you scratching..' Bit. He's passionate, he's grandiose, he's breaking from the dark, somber mood of the beginning of the song, and people like it. I like it. Yet, that's what MJ did, more or less, and it's sacrilege.

Sent from my fingertips.

THANK YOU. And your previous post too.

Ps did I actually read someone trying to write intelligently on this subject, saying it was Adele who sang the damn thing? Please tell me I misread that, I've got the sand and sea in my eyes after a day at Basin Head but holy fuck that was hilarious if so

THANK YOU. And your previous post too.

Ps did I actually read someone trying to write intelligently on this subject, saying it was Adele who sang the damn thing? Please tell me I misread that, I've got the sand and sea in my eyes after a day at Basin Head but holy fuck that was hilarious if so

I believe that was Nick66..

hey we all need the edit button, once in a while :wink:

I believe that was Nick66..

hey we all need the edit button, once in a while :wink:

Yeah, I noticed that long after the edit period has passed. Well, I said MJB in all my other posts on this wonderful topic. Must have been because I just finished reading all that the talk of an Adele duet. :)

Oh, and for the person who was kind enough to point it out (not you, Registered Dude), I'd rather have an Adele/MJB brain fart than be proven wrong about, well, everything else. ;)

Something weird happened.. a few people received an email from Ticketfly announcing an U2 concert (I believe it was in San Francisco), but it was a test event...

I thought it was interesting that the band they used was U2...

Or maybe I'm wanting this album so badly that I'm seeing signs everywhere

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom