Love Rescue Me: Chapter 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickadee

New Yorker
This chapter was delayed due to Harry Potter fun, but we all know this fic is much more important, right? Hee, I am SO kidding. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this instalment - only two viewpoints, but that was necessary. Also the restaurant in this chapter is completely made up.

Thanks for reading, thanks for comments, U2 aren't mine, etc.

Love Rescue Me

Chapter 10

Despite all best intentions, there was little time for anybody to conduct a proper conversation over the next couple of days. U2 had a show in Connecticut the day after the Foxboro one, and then they all moved on to Philadelphia. The schedule was hitting Bono hard, what with his shoulder still painful. Edge was doing his best to keep everything ticking over, as well as keeping an eye out for Bono. Larry was doing much the same for Adam, who was faring better of late. There were interviews with press to be done and meetings to be held. All in all things were so hectic there was barely time to turn around.

In the midst of it all Jen did her best to stay afloat, making sure she remained organised and level-headed. She and Larry were good friends now, or at least as good as Larry would allow. It was obvious he took a while to get close to people. Adam, too, seemed as if he would be interesting company, but Jen hardly ever managed to speak to him. And as far as she knew, Bono and Beth hadn’t managed to talk yet, which was evident in the way they looked at each other. Unresolved sexual tension, Jen concluded, and then shook her head. And they’re not the only ones.

Edge seemed to be everywhere. Whenever Jen walked into a room or down a hallway or to the bathroom, there he was. Or rather, that’s how it seemed. The reality of the situation was that Jen’s every waking thought was either about Edge or ended up being about Edge. The remembrance of his kiss drove her crazy, and she couldn’t help feeling upset that he was already married to someone else. Someone who probably doesn’t know how lucky she is.

She knew she was in over her head, and staying away from him wasn’t helping. As she stared in the hotel room mirror and adjusted her pretty black top, she decided she might as well throw caution to the wind tonight and allow herself to speak to him, properly, if the chance arose.

That might happen tonight. As the next gig was three nights away, the band had decided they and the crew should go out for a late-night meal after the Philly show. Jen had forsaken watching the concert to stay at the hotel, have a long bath and choose a nice outfit. No matter how often she told herself this had nothing to do with Edge, she didn’t believe it. She wanted his eyes on her all night.

That’s a terrible thing to want, she sighed, putting a silver necklace on. He’s got a wife, and I shouldn’t be encouraging this when we both know nothing can happen.

Beth came by at 11 and the two of them made their way down to the waiting car. The guys were going on to the restaurant from their venue, after showering and changing there, so there was no need for the girls to wait around. Beth heaped compliments on Jen, especially about her jeans, and in return Jen gushed over how gorgeous Beth looked, which wasn’t a lie. She wore black trousers and a beautifully embroidered green top that contrasted with her fiery hair. All in all, Jen reckoned they looked pretty good.

The restaurant was buzzing by the time they arrived. It was an all-American type of eatery, serving huge plates of fries, steak, burgers, ribs... Loud music pumped from strategically-placed speakers and added to the atmosphere of the place. A very long table indeed had been set up in the downstairs portion of the restaurant, and it was there Jen and Beth were directed to upon entering.

“Oh my God, this is amazing!” Beth exclaimed as she and Jen carefully made their way down the stairs, mindful of high heels. “Just what I need, I’m absolutely starving!”

Jen agreed, eyeing the pile of food she spotted being served to another diner. “Me too, I’ve barely eaten all… Oh, there they are.”

The words were unnecessary, because it was obvious where the party was. Bono’s laugh rang out across the entire lower floor, drawing Jen’s attention to him half-way down the table. Larry for once was telling a story, across the table from Bono, in between drinking copious amounts of beer. Adam was a couple of seats away, apparently deep in discussion with someone Jen didn’t know. And one chair away from Bono sat Edge, who was smoking while smiling at Larry’s tale.

Jen took a breath that was echoed by Beth as they approached. Everyone looked so happy, and neither of them was a part of it. The thought struck Jen that perhaps her imagination had been playing overtime, and she didn’t even register on Edge’s radar. She wasn’t there now, and he looked the same as ever. That’s good, he’s married, remember?

The mantra almost worked until Edge turned his head, saw Jen and smiled. It was the most brilliant smile, unconscious, the kind he could treat her to just before he reminded himself he shouldn’t be doing it. Jen appreciated every second of it.

“You made it!” Bono stood and gave Jen a one-armed hug, and then leaned over to give Beth one which lasted slightly longer, enough that Jen recognised the difference. Good, maybe they can sort themselves out, she hoped, because for the rest of the evening she wasn’t going to pay much attention to anyone else’s problems.

Jen and Beth decided that the empty chair between Edge and Bono was for Beth, and she sat down, unable to help smiling when Bono brushed a kiss over her cheek. He’d clearly had a couple of drinks already, which might have been combining with his medication, but Beth didn’t appear to mind what was causing his affection.

Jen went around the other side of the table and sat beside Larry, who handed her a menu.

“You look fuckin’ hungry,” he grinned, and she laughed.

“I couldn’t have put it better myself.” As Jen studied the menu, she could feel Edge’s gaze on her from across the table. She looked up just in time to catch his eye and watch him redden, caught. She offered him a smile and he accepted, and if they stared at each other a beat too long, it didn’t seem anyone noticed.

“Ah, Jennifer.” Adam turned to her, his companion having drifted towards the bar. “How are you this evening?” He held out a cigarette which she declined, and then lit his own. He certainly sounded a lot more cheerful than the last time Jen had spoken to him, and she took that to be a positive sign.

“I’m fine, thank you,” she said, pausing to give the waitress her order for a glass of white wine. “And yourself?”

“Not so bad,” he nodded. “I did want to apologise to you.”

“Me? What for?”

“Well, Larry brought it to my attention that I’ve barely said two words to you since you kindly agreed to dress us, and that was very rude of me.” He didn’t look worried, exactly, more concerned that Jen didn’t think badly of him.

“Oh, don’t worry about that,” she assured him. “I totally understand. I know if I bumped into any of my old boyfriends, it’d probably affect me, too…” She tailed off when she realised a tiny frown had appeared on Adam’s brow. A second later, it occurred to her that Bono had told her and Beth about Cara in secret, and Adam most probably didn’t know. “God, I’m sorry,” she added hurriedly. “I haven’t been gossiping, I promise, it’s just I was wondering why you were so sad, and I was talking about it with Beth, and, um, some other people, and Beth was interested because she accidentally gave Cara that Press Pass, you know, to get backstage, and she felt terrible about it, I mean I did as well, we had no idea, and we didn’t want to cause you trouble, and…”

Adam held up one hand, chuckling. His frown had gone. “It’s all right, honestly. I didn’t expect my life would stay private on tour. Bono told me about Beth’s pass, although he didn’t mention how he knew. I don’t blame that for what happened. I think it was something that was bound to happen, sooner or later.”

Jen mulled this over for a few moments. “So, do you believe in fate? Like, were you destined to meet her again, no matter what you did to avoid it?”

If Adam suspected she was referring to Edge, he was kind enough not to show it. “I can’t say I’m certain,” he replied at length, “but I wouldn’t rule it out. I suppose you can take steps to make sure things don’t turn out a particular way, but in the end I think what will be will be.”

The waitress returned then with Jen’s wine, and started to work her way around the table, taking everybody’s food orders. Larry started asking Jen what her opinion of the show was, only for Beth to cut in.

“That reminds me, I have to do interviews!” She took a long drink of whatever it was (vodka, Jen suspected from past experience) and leaned over. “I really need to get stuff done for this book. So you guys have a couple of free days, and I’m going to interrogate you.”

“Sounds like fun,” Adam laughed, but Larry just glared at her.

“If you think you’re coming anywhere near me for an interview, you can fuck off,” he snapped. It was strange how quickly he’d turned from amiable to angry, and all because of Beth.

“Ah, fuck off, yourself,” Beth retorted, in a brilliant imitation of Larry’s Dublin accent, sticking up two fingers at him. Jen, Edge, Bono and Adam all erupted laughing, at the carefree expression on Beth’s face and the sour one on Larry’s. Beth joined in, and eventually Larry cracked a smile. Jen patted his arm consolingly.

“If it makes you feel better, I still think you’re scary when you’re pissed off,” she teased. Even as Larry relaxed, Jen was aware of Edge watching her.

When the food arrived, everybody ate, drank and was merry. There was such a lovely atmosphere to the group, and Jen couldn’t help feeling glad when she noticed Larry leaning across the table to speak civilly to Beth about her interviews. Adam kept refilling Jen’s glass with wine he’d procured from somewhere, and the two of them spent a little while talking about nothing-in-particulars. Bono kept coming out with anecdotes, his voice getting louder the more he drank; Edge, Jen supposed, was in charge of monitoring Bono’s alcohol intake, but he wasn’t doing his job very well. Probably because he keeps looking at me.

Once the food was mostly eaten, people started ordering more drinks and changing seats; someone at the bar put on Bruce Springsteen. It was inevitable, really, that Jen went to talk to Beth and ended up sitting in her seat, beside Edge.

“Have you had a good night?” he asked, relieving Jen of finding a conversation starter. She nodded.

“Yeah, it’s been great,” she said, looking around the table and feeling that maybe she did fit in, after all. She turned back to him, her gaze lingering on his lips a fraction longer than she’d intended. “I’m sorry I’ve been staying away from you.”

“It’s okay,” he replied softly. “I completely understand. I should never have put you in that situation, and I’m sorry, too.”

They offered each other small, hopeful smiles before Larry joined them, clutching a bottle and looking rather rosy-faced.

“Edge!” He threw his arm around his bandmate in a half-hug. “You played brilliant tonight, mate, fuckin’ brilliant.” Then he practically sat on Jen’s lap. “And you, you’re just fuckin’ brilliant anyway.” Placing a deliberately silly kiss on Jen’s cheek, he got up and disappeared down the end of the table. Jen and Edge glanced at one another and burst out laughing.

“So, can we be friends?” Jen asked, when they’d managed to calm down. “I mean, we can’t be more, because you’re married, but it would be a shame not to at least be friends.”

“Of course we can,” Edge said happily, raising his glass. “To friendship.”

Jen was almost amazed at how easily they were pretending they didn’t want each other, and that to remain on a strictly platonic level was absolutely fine. She was sure they could never be real friends, not in the way she and Larry were, because being so close to Edge without kissing him was going to be practically impossible.

A glass was thrust towards them too late, missing the toast. “To friendship!” Bono grinned on the other side of Jen and she noted with interest the way Beth was perched on the table, one hand twined with Bono’s. Interesting development. I must find out the story when we get back.

“I hate to break up the party, but I think it’s time you got some sleep, Bono.” Edge stood up and moved towards him, only to find his singer in a very protesting mood.

“But I don’t want to sleep, The Edge,” he said flirtatiously, pulling Edge by the shirt and pressing a sloppy kiss to his mouth. “See? I’m wide awake.”

Edge just rolled his eyes and laughed, but Beth started tugging on Bono’s hand.

“Edge is right,” she said, sounding more sober than Jen suspected she was. “You’re hurt and you’re on drugs for your shoulder and… well, that’s all I’ve got.”

“Well, if you’re asking me, darlin’,” Bono replied, a slow, seductive smile spreading across his face, one that made Beth blush, “I can’t say no.”

Being asked is easy, Jen thought ten minutes later, as the crowd began getting up, finding belongings, arguing over the bill, heading for the exit. Saying no is the hardest part.

Beth stumbled out of the car, which had stopped slightly further away from the hotel entrance. For some reason the car park was packed and they couldn’t be dropped any closer, but she certainly didn’t mind. When she righted herself, Bono slid his arm around her shoulders, and she reciprocated with an arm around his waist. He was quite obviously drunk, much more drunk than most others at the restaurant, so his judgement might be clouded. Yet Beth was pretty sure he meant what he was doing.

It had been fantastic to sit beside him at the table and let his hand drift to her knee, to her neck, to her own hand, and she’d eventually consumed enough alcohol to sit on the table in front of him, openly enjoying the way his eyes raked over her body. And now they were straggling behind everybody, Bono pressing a kiss to her cheek.

“You’re beautiful,” he said, and maybe it was her imagination, but his words were firm, not slurred. His fingers started stroking her collarbone, and she felt longing sizzle through her.

“You’re beautiful, too,” she replied, and this time he stopped walking to kiss her on the lips. She moaned at the first contact, having been deprived of him for what seemed like weeks, and was all too willing to deepen the kiss, feeling him push against her, letting her know how badly he wanted her. She carefully shifted her hand so it rode a little lower than his waist, and slid her fingers under the hem of his shirt, hearing him grunt approvingly at the way she caressed the skin of his back. She needed to decide whether to move her actions up or down; up was safer, down was so tempting…

“For fuck’s sake, will you two get a room?”

They broke apart, and Beth looked round to see Larry a few feet away, sounding very drunk and looking like he hated her again. There wasn’t time to argue with him, though, because Bono had taken her hand and was leading her exactly where Larry had suggested.

Into the hotel they went, and piled into the lift with about a dozen other revellers, including Jen and Edge, standing side by side faux-comfortably, and Adam, filling the confined space with cigarette smoke.

“Sorry,” he muttered, as Jen coughed. “Medicinal, you know. For heartbreak.” He smiled, and Beth wondered if he was joking.

At last they were at their floor, and everyone spilled out, going separate ways. Out of the corner of her eye Beth saw Jen pause, as if she was going to ask something, and then turn away, probably realising Beth wasn’t going to be hanging out in front of the TV with her.

“If Edge is married,” Beth said to Bono, as they staggered into his room, “how come he keeps staring at Jen’s legs? As if she’s not gonna notice.”

“Because,” Bono cupped her face with his free hand, “the only thing he is allowed to do is stare. Whereas I,” he bent to kiss her neck, “can touch. Right?”

Beth nodded, words gone, as he backed her against the door and kissed her hungrily. Her entire body was on fire; she felt the heat of him rocking against her and the scorching sensation of his mouth. He was still drunk, she knew it, but his movements were surprisingly measured. He used the weight of his left side to press her, while with his right hand he slowly pulled up her top, sliding his hand across her stomach. She whimpered, grabbing his arse and trying to get him even closer. When his fingers caressed the skin just below her breast, she broke the kiss and gasped for air.

“Bono,” she managed, pulling back to look at him, at the longing way he looked at her.

“Too much?” he asked, a hint of anxiety in his voice as he rested his forehead against hers. She was desperate for him, but realised there was no need to go too fast, especially when she still didn’t know why he’d been off with her. How do I know he isn’t going to regret this in the morning, when he’s tired and hungover?

“I’m fine,” she assured him, pressing a kiss to his lips. “Just need to go to the bathroom for a minute.”

“Okay, gorgeous,” Bono replied, grinning, heading over to the bed. “I’ll just wait here, all alone…” He placed his free hand on top of his chest, over his heart, and they both laughed at his dramatics.

Inside the en-suite, Beth stood at the wash basin and took deep, calming breaths. She didn’t know why she was being so cautious; she fancied Bono like crazy and she was pretty certain he felt the same way about her. She was fortunate to be in this position with the man she liked, and not like Jen who was stuck wanting someone she couldn’t have. Most women in Beth’s shoes would have gone for it long before now.

But Beth really did know what the problem was. Bono was a big rock star, and getting more famous by the day, it seemed. Press coverage about the band was reaching ridiculous proportions, and despite her bickering with Larry, she understood why he might be a little irritated by the constant intrusions. She had no way of knowing for sure whether Bono did this in every city, with every vaguely attractive girl he met, and she had no desire to be just another notch on some guy’s bedpost.

Maybe it’s because of how it used to be with Alex. Maybe he spoiled me into thinking that being with somebody had to mean hard work, that it couldn’t just be fun and good and right.

She brushed through her hair with her fingers and checked her reflection in the mirror, making sure nothing drastic had happened since leaving the restaurant. Then she went back into the bedroom… only to find Bono had fallen asleep on the double bed.

Beth smiled. He needed his rest, what with his shoulder, and the busy lifestyle he was leading, not to mention the amount he’d drunk. Feeling sober already, Beth picked up a blanket from the shelf and went to drape it across Bono. But when she got close enough, he opened one eye, grabbed her hand and lowered her to him for a gentle kiss.

“Sorry,” he murmured, both eyes open now, albeit sleepily. “I want it mentioned in the book that I was an energetic and tireless lover.” His half-grin was enticing, and Beth kissed him again.

“Don’t worry, I’ll give you a glowing review,” she teased, stroking the hair back from his face. “Have a good sleep.” She tried to cover him, but he stopped her once more.

“Keep me company?” His request was straightforward and honest, letting her know he wasn’t going to try anything, that he really did want her with him for reasons other than sex. How could I have doubted him?

“I’d love to.” She sat, took her shoes and jewellery off, and then snuggled down in the bed next to Bono. He pulled her close with his uninjured arm and she laid her head in the crook under his chin. Finally, she threw the blanket over them both and they lay there, not saying a single word, their warm, companionable silence speaking volumes.

to be continued...

:combust: I love the way you keep it 'real' with your writing. I'm totally drawn into each chapter and left gagging for more! Can't wait for the next one!

Back
Top Bottom