Live 8 on Ebay... needs to stop!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norsehorse23

Acrobat
Hey, I just went on ebay and looked at the prices for Live 8 tickets... highest I have ever seen. 4 million dollars for two tickets!!! 2 million dollars for tickets!! and people bid on them!!! This is sheer madness, and it needs to stop. Hopefully ebay will cease to allow free tickets to be auctioned. I'll admit, there were two on sale for a reasonable 200 dollars... but still, 4 million dollars for a concert????

It just happens that I have 11 million on the bank .What do you think? Spend it on 2 tickets or stay at home and watch the tv?

I think you'll find that people who disagree with the ethics of this profiteering are putting in false bids.:yikes:

actualy i saw one ticket for a bargain! I think i should get ity it was at 10,000,000 GBP which is about 18,500,000 US dollars? LOL i wonder how dumb you must be to spend that much on a oncert! For 18.5 million ill just buy a hell of a mansion and envite some of those artists to play at my mansion!

Thats terrible!
They should be made to donate the money made to the One camapgin or whatever other "charity" going around.

Surely nobody would be stupid enough to spend that sort of money anyway?

bono_man2002 said:
Thats terrible!
They should be made to donate the money made to the One camapgin or whatever other "charity" going around.

Surely nobody would be stupid enough to spend that sort of money anyway?

10.000.000 pound for a reuniting pink floyd is peanuts...:wink:

Ebay isn't going to pull the bids according to this article. They are donating money to Live8 to match what fees that they get. Which I think is wrong! They should pull all bids! :mad:

Here it is (from Manchester Evening News):
PUNTERS who won Live 8 tickets in the text lottery have started
putting them up for sale on eBay.

More than 100 pairs of tickets have already appeared on the online
auction site and have attracted bids of up to £1,000.

Organisers condemned the winners' behaviour as "obscene".

The Hunter Foundation, which is helping Bob Geldof organise the
Scottish leg of the event, urged sellers to withdraw the lots
immediately and return any profits already made to Live 8.

Chief executive Ewan Hunter said: "It is obscene for anyone to profit
from Live 8.

"We would urge anyone selling Live 8 tickets on eBay, or anywhere else
for that matter, to withdraw them immediately.

"If you can't go, return your tickets to Live 8. If you see them being
sold, don't bid, we implore you.

"And if you have already sold tickets, return the profits to Live 8.

"There is a deep moral question we should all ask ourselves - Live 8
is about the 30,000 kids that died today, will die tomorrow and the
next day.

"Is that something you want to profit from or stop happening?"

Regular eBay vendor Scott Jones, of Ealing, west London, said
reselling tickets was against the spirit of Live 8 and called for eBay
to halt the auctions.

Cheesed off

"I was really cheesed off when I saw tickets being sold," said Mr
Jones, who will be at the concert after his father-in-law won tickets.

"I phoned eBay's head office in California and they really didn't give
a monkey's.

"The whole thing is not about making money, it's about raising
awareness of what's going on."

More than two million pop fans applied for tickets for the July 2 Hyde
Park show to fight African poverty featuring U2, REM, Madonna,
Coldplay and Pink Floyd.

Some of the tickets for sale on eBay had attracted what appeared to be
hoax bids of up to £10 million.

eBay said it would not stop people reselling tickets, but would make a
donation to Live 8 so the site would not profit from the sales.

A spokeswoman said: "The reselling of charity concert tickets is not
illegal under UK law, so Live 8 tickets are allowed to be resold on
eBay.co.uk.

"As we do not wish to profit from this event, we have offered to make
a donation to the Live 8 organisers at least equivalent to the fees we
collect from the sale of Live 8 tickets.

"We are allowing the tickets because we live in a free market where
people can make up their own minds about what they would like to buy
and sell.

"A ticket to the Live 8 concert is no different from a prize won in a
raffle run by another charity and what the winner chooses to do with
it is up to them.

"eBay believes it is a fundamental right for someone to be able to
sell something that is theirs, whether they paid for it or won it in a
competition."

:coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo:

i'm not sure how the ticket lottery works, and if someone has a record of those who won tickets why not police the scalping of the same by some means of identity verification

also anyone who can pay 2 million for tickets would not need to anyway, ie, they probably have some type of connection that would get them into the golden circle i heard about (a ringed section reserved for 'invited celeberity guests' which is a thread on its own

however no one should be selling tickets they won, let alone any organizer allow the debaucle in the first place

No one is buying the tickets for $2 million. They are placing false bids to screw the sellers.

Sir Bob is not happy at all about this.

[q]Geldof condemns sale of Live 8 tickets on eBay

By Kate Holton 2 hours, 55 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - Live 8 organizer Bob Geldof has condemned as "sick profiteering" the sale of free charity concert tickets on auction Web site eBay.

Tickets to the star-studded London show, which aims to pressure world leaders into fighting poverty, were given away to the winners of a text lottery. But they immediately started appearing on eBay for hundreds of pounds.

Geldof branded the site an "electronic pimp" and called for a worldwide boycott.

"I am sick with this," Geldof said in a statement. "What eBay are doing is profiteering on the backs of the impoverished.

"The people who are selling it are wretches. But far worse is the corporate culture which capitalizes on people's misery."

Geldof organized the July 2nd concert 20 years after his Live Aid sensation which raised money to help the starving in Ethiopia.

Rather than raise money, the 2005 concert aims to raise the profile of African poverty and influence leaders of the G8 group of industrialized nations who meet in Scotland in July.

Four other concerts will be held around the world on the same day.

eBay said in a statement they were selling the tickets because "we live in a free market where people can make up their own minds," but said they would donate at least the equivalent of the fees they raised through the sale of Live 8 tickets.

Geldof rejected this offer, saying instead he was appealing to their "sense of decency to stop this disgusting greed."

eBay said the reselling of charity tickets was not illegal under British law.

"A ticket to the Live 8 concert is no different from a prize won in a raffle ... and what the winner chooses to do with it is up to them," it added.

Over two million text messages were sent by people hoping to get tickets in the draw and winners were notified on Monday. Pairs of tickets were being offered for several hundred pounds on Tuesday on the auction site.

Performers for the London concert include U2, Paul McCartney, Coldplay,
Madonna and REM. [/q]

oh well never mind, I was going to post a picture, but it did not work, here is the caption that was next to it:
[q]
A mystery bid of 10 million pounds for a pair of Live8 tickets. No sooner had the first tickets for next month's Live8 charity concert in London been allocated than some began appearing for sale on the eBay auction site.(eBay)[/q]

Last edited:
Ebay has just said they will stop the tickets being listed. Damn that means I won't get the £5000 somebody bid for my 2 tickets.:wink:

I could have become an instant millionaire if I had gotten the tickets and sold them... too bad:wink: glad to see that people responded to my thread, thanks.

kellyahern said:

Is there a link? I checked and there's still tickets up for auction.

Are they taking them off gradually?

They just said about 30mins ago on the ITV news bulletin. This ebay uk by the way.

yeah, they are still on the US site, although when you go to the bidding page, it says that the tix will be mailed only in the uk.

digsy said:
woo hoo! its being stopped!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050614/325/fl51g.html

good on ebay - lets hope they police it stick to there rule

wooohooooooooooooooo! WTG BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes: the pressure and exposure worked!

a snippet of what Bob urged everyone to do..

"Geldof criticised the site and urged people to swamp it with bogus offers of tickets or massively inflated bids.

"What I would ask you to do tonight is to get on eBay and mess up the system," he told Sky News.

"Everyone should go on and pretend they have got tickets for Live 8 ... otherwise go on and bid ridiculous amounts of money for the tickets already on the site," said the feisty Irish rocker."

Last edited:
what amazes me is how naive live 8 were in not anticipating this to start with
they should have done what Glastonbury did - you'r name and address are on the ticket and you have to show photo ID that matches the ticket when you go in.
its harsh but its the only way to stop the scalpers....

Last edited:
Hooray for the fake bids! :laugh:

Our big boss at work is invited to Live 8, and she's not sure she can make it. :grumpy: *jealous*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom