Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love how both Stipe and Mills basically settled on their present hairdos (or lack thereof) in about 1994 and have stuck to their guns ever since.

Kinda like the Edge that way.

Well that's an evocative description and criticism. :lol:

Well...

Monty Got A Raw Deal is quite forgettable and not good enough to be underrated. It's kinda just there.

Basically this. By the time you get to that point in the album, it's like, yep, this is what a song on Automatic For The People sounds like. But it doesn't really do anything interesting outside of the lyrical focus on Montgomery Clift.

It's kind of how I feel about Ultraviolet on Achtung Baby. It's a far better track than Monty, but up until that point you keep hearing all this new, exciting stuff, and Ultraviolet just sounds like an typical Achtung Baby song, if that makes any sense; you could construct it out of the sounds from all the songs that come before it. Conversely, Acrobat and Love Is Blindness add more colors to the palette and come off a bit more unique.

I'm not sure there is a "typical" AB song. Aside from the intro I'd say Ultraviolet is a more traditional U2 song, anthemic, soaring guitars, simple yet moving lyrics. Certainly when I first came to Achtung Baby it is one of the few songs that stood out to me.

I'd call Wild Horses the most Achtung Baby song on Achtung Baby; dirty, grungy and full of innuendo, yet melodic and lovelorn. I love that song.

Ultraviolet is the most typical U2 song on the album except for One.

I'd call Wild Horses the most Achtung Baby song on Achtung Baby; dirty, grungy and full of innuendo, yet melodic and lovelorn. I love that song.

Ultraviolet is the most typical U2 song on the album except for One.

Horses and One have the benefit of coming earlier on the album. Which is why I made that statement so specifically; I'm not considering this in a vacuum. Just more about first impressions that stuck.

So, Trump used It's The End Of The World at some campaign event today where a bunch of Republicans, including Ted Cruz, said insane things about the Iran deal. R.E.M. were not pleased. On social media:

"Go fuck yourselves, the lot of you--you sad, attention grabbing, power-hungry little men. Do not use our music or my voice for your moronic charade of a campaign".- Michael Stipe

@vplus Cease and desist. — Mike Mills (@m_millsey) September 9, 2015

R.E.M. will issue an official statement shortly. — Mike Mills (@m_millsey) September 9, 2015

Personally, I think the Orange Clown will do anything for attention. I hate giving it to him. — Mike Mills (@m_millsey) September 9, 2015

And the official statement:

"While we do not authorize or condone the use of our music at this political event, and do ask that these candidates cease and desist from doing so, let us remember that there are things of greater importance at stake here. The media and the American voter should focus on the bigger picture, and not allow grandstanding politicians to distract us from the pressing issues of the day and of the current Presidential campaign.” -R.E.M.

Not good at putting this into words on a message board, but I'll give it a shot.
I don't agree with just about a single word Stipe has to say on politics, social issues, etc and I acknowledge that they are huge parts of him as a person and are quite blatant in his music. (Let me clarify, I don't hate Stipe as a person, just disagree) REM is still one of my all time favorite bands so I just kinda look past it and enjoy the music.
Is that how non-religious U2 fans look at U2's music and Bono specifically? Religion is clearly a major theme in almost all of their music and if you're not religious, you probably don't pick up on a lot of the biblical imagery anyway (not a slam on anyone). And I'm sure that their lyrics connect to everyone in different ways, shapes, and forms. That's the beauty of U2's music. But I'm just curious as to how non-religious U2 fans feel about their most religious music.
Again, not trying to start a fight at all, but I'm just interested how some of you guys feel about that. I don't mean to start this as a religious and political debate either.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Two topics that I avoid like the plague are Religion and Politics. I don't talk about them, it just leads to pointless debating. I have no strong feelings about either subject, I'm just a man trying to live my own life and do what's best for my family.

But that has never affected how I feel about U2 or REM's music, or anybody else. A song like "40", for example, has no religious meaning to me, even though it's taken directly from the Bible. I just like it.

Siiiggghhh.... I miss REM. I know that I've got 30 years of music to listen to, but it's just not the same knowing that they called it quits and don't even seem to miss it. Stipe is very dismissive of REM's legacy, which saddens me.

I'm always amazed at the REM Facebook posts, where it's something political, and the comments are full of "Well, I'm never listening to your music again, you liberal pinko commie!"

Like ... have you ever even HEARD the band?

I'm always amazed at the REM Facebook posts, where it's something political, and the comments are full of "Well, I'm never listening to your music again, you liberal pinko commie!"

Like ... have you ever even HEARD the band?

We're not all like that. Heck, I was introduced to REM on the way to church camp back in high school and by my dad, a pastor. Their music is so great that I just look past it and move on. Perfect Circle is still my all time favorite song and nothing will change that. :)

Its tough for the GOP to use campaign music outside of country, Kid Rock, or Sammy Hagar.

The Dems milk that COBL for all it's worth. I bet some campaign operatives are going to start bitching about it being a warhorse. haha

Its tough for the GOP to use campaign music outside of country, Kid Rock, or Sammy Hagar.

latest

The Dems milk that COBL for all it's worth. I bet some campaign operatives are going to start bitching about it being a warhorse. haha

Sammy would want nothing to do with the GOP. He's a good dude.

As for your second comment, funny as shit. :lol:

Two topics that I avoid like the plague are Religion and Politics. I don't talk about them, it just leads to pointless debating. I have no strong feelings about either subject, I'm just a man trying to live my own life and do what's best for my family.

But that has never affected how I feel about U2 or REM's music, or anybody else. A song like "40", for example, has no religious meaning to me, even though it's taken directly from the Bible. I just like it.

Siiiggghhh.... I miss REM. I know that I've got 30 years of music to listen to, but it's just not the same knowing that they called it quits and don't even seem to miss it. Stipe is very dismissive of REM's legacy, which saddens me.

I'm like you. I hardly ever discuss religion and politics. U2 doesn't really seem like a religious band to me. Sure they discuss God and stuff, but they seem more spiritual. REM/Stipe have always been political and I usually agree with their views. I don't think Michael is dismissive of REM's legacy. He's just moved on from it. They had an awesome run and now he's moved on to the next phase of his life. Not everyone can be Bono and lead the rock and roll machine until the end of time. :wink: Some folks want to just retire.

Electrolite should have been the last REM song if they wanted to go out without tarnishing their legacy. I think Up is great and I'm glad they kept going long enough to make that, but there's that one moment when everything should have ended and they went far beyond that. Honestly, Bill Berry's hemorrhage might have been it. I don't blame Michael for calling it quits, at all. I will be terribly disappointed if he does nothing else with his musical gifts though.

Last edited:
Not good at putting this into words on a message board, but I'll give it a shot.
I don't agree with just about a single word Stipe has to say on politics, social issues, etc and I acknowledge that they are huge parts of him as a person and are quite blatant in his music. (Let me clarify, I don't hate Stipe as a person, just disagree) REM is still one of my all time favorite bands so I just kinda look past it and enjoy the music.
Is that how non-religious U2 fans look at U2's music and Bono specifically? Religion is clearly a major theme in almost all of their music and if you're not religious, you probably don't pick up on a lot of the biblical imagery anyway (not a slam on anyone). And I'm sure that their lyrics connect to everyone in different ways, shapes, and forms. That's the beauty of U2's music. But I'm just curious as to how non-religious U2 fans feel about their most religious music.
Again, not trying to start a fight at all, but I'm just interested how some of you guys feel about that. I don't mean to start this as a religious and political debate either.

I'm not religious at all. I love it. I find it really compelling. Same reason I love Sufjan Stevens' music. They have both explored themes of religious questioning in their lyrics, which I find very fascinating. I much prefer the Bono who penned Wake Up Dead Man than the one who writes some of the tripe that is found on SoI.

Reveal was pretty good. "All The Way To Reno" is one of my favorites. Accelerate is pretty good too, "Supernatural Superserious" and "Living Well Is The Best Revenge" sound like REM of old. Collapse into now was also fairly decent.
But their material through Out Of Time is almost untouchable. So in comparison, their post-Up material is garbage.

You're missing the point entirely.

Back
Top Bottom