Letterman Wednesday (3/4): "I'll Go Crazy..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fark they totally nailed it! Can't wait to hear these tunes live, please-fucking-please bring this tour to Oz...:combust:

Agree about FEZ/BB - I'll add COL - two tracks that would be tops live.. I don't think they will get Letterman treatment - NLOTH / SUC / MOS / UC will be the deciders for the remaining two nights.. haha - it makes you realise there's some really decent tunes on the album hey..?

I'd love to hear Cedars live too. I fear, however, it will get the half-assed acoustic or Bono solo treatment (the way he ended some PopMart shows with Wake Up Dead Man). I hope not, because the drum and bass parts are fabulous..wonderfully understated and elegant.

They've already taped Friday's show, so Boots will be Friday's song (per the rumor I heard on @U2). I'm thinking tomorrow night will be Stand Up Comedy.

I'd love to hear Cedars live too. I fear, however, it will get the half-assed acoustic or Bono solo treatment (the way he ended some PopMart shows with Wake Up Dead Man). I hope not, because the drum and bass parts are fabulous..wonderfully understated and elegant.

Agree about the possibility of an acoustic version live.. not that the songs are comparable, but maybe something like Staring At The Sun a-la Popmart (live version), which wouldn't be too bad - IMO COL is a better track SATS..

It almost has a Love Is Blindness feel too (closer wise), however again IMO COL is weaker emotionally than LIB, therefore probably not a good choice as a closer.. haha

End rant. :doh:

They've already taped Friday's show, so Boots will be Friday's song (per the rumor I heard on @U2). I'm thinking tomorrow night will be Stand Up Comedy.

I understand there's a certain level of 'hyping up' involved with a television audience.
After seeing tonight's audience reaction, hyped or not (certainly the strongest crowd all week) - Stand Up would probably be the best choice 'image wise' for the band in a last 'global opportunity' pump-up before the tour. Alone, lyrically, Stand Up will get the crowd going nuts.

That's if Boots really is planned for Friday, which would be a shame?
They would be better off to use the opportunity and play something bigger and stronger than Boots - like UC? Boots is kind of 'done' until tour time.. maybe... :reject:

Bye... lol

The problem with playing MOS live is that the recorded version is so damn perfect! I can see them almost not wanting to touch it for fear of not living up to the original.

:up: I wonder what the last song will be ... we got all the usual NLOTH suspects played so far plus Crazy tonight.

Another NLOTH song or an older song?

I've been a fan of this album since listen #1 but holy fucking hell... I am so thrilled at how fantastic these songs have sounded live so far. We're in for a great ride, folks. 2009 is a great year to love U2. Fuckin A.

Bloody hell, even crazy tonight sounds good live!!

This is going to be a great tour

Santiago

I'll applaud them for making the right choices....great live tracks that are catchy single-types. But I won't do it until they play "No Line On The Horizon" tomorrow night rather than the limp "Stand Up Comedy"...nobody watching will get "the chills" if they see that lame hippy, flower power shit on their screens. Bor-ing.

They shouldn't have chosen to play Boots this week. The world, the fans... we know Boots already. Why bother playing it again? There's other gems that should have been given notice, like 'No Line' or 'Unknown Caller'.

Ahhh, that was awesome, I'm getting emotional :love: I think Bono's excited to have an audience again.

Ok, bed now :crazy:

I actually really love how Bono is just standing there like that in the first half...something about it, I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but when I first played it I got a very spiritual vibe...and it just seems like the way Bono was singing in that pose, it just made it all the more epic and contributed to the mood...this song has such an uplifting aspect to it...when it comes on, it grabs me and just puts me in the moment...and the way Bono starts off the performance does just this...Some people said he starts off weak, I really don't think so. I love this.

can we please not have the song title of in the thread name until AFTER it's been aired on the west coast? massive spoiler alert. but the performance was great. Bono's vocals may have been a little too much, but other than that, great. the lights with the tiny script were a very nice touch.

can we please not have the song title of in the thread name until AFTER it's been aired on the west coast? massive spoiler alert. but the performance was great. Bono's vocals may have been a little too much, but other than that, great. the lights with the tiny script were a very nice touch.

:lol:

now they're "too much" ?! wow....that's hilarious- the Bman fucking nailed it.

Great performance :love:

It sounded more like "it's not a hell, it's a mountain" instead of a hill. :)

Why the "come on Eileen" reference?? Was that just to get the audience to get up?
The song doesn't remotely sound like that other irish song (not imho)

What I love about U2, what I've always loved about them is how they just sell that shit, y'know?

There are lots of bands with greater technical skill than U2 but nobody else has their unabashed passion. . .nobody can sell a song like they can.

When they started out, I wasn't really buying it. Bono's voice sounded rough to me. But by the end I was buying it all, and judging from the audience, I wasn't the only one. They got every body on board, and Bono, riding on the wave the audience enthusiasm actually sounded better, I thought.

Back
Top Bottom