Let's Go Red Sox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rizzuto made tom seaver seem interesting... that's all you need to know about how entertaining phil rizzuto was.

on that subject... has there ever been another broadcaster who was sooooooo great as a player yet sooooooooooo bad as a broascaster? i mean like an all time great player and an all time boring, bad, frog voiced announcer like seaver? :hmm:

Joe Montana was a terrible, terrible broadcaster, but, that's more due to his complete lack of intelligence than his pipes. Magic Johnson, also not very skilled in the studio. Isiah used to do color on NBC with Costas doing pxp, that was hilarious..."you see, Bob, that's what we call a Gangsta dunk"......

Seaver was atrocious, agreed, a painful listen. He could friggin pitch, though. I was actually at his 300th win, which, coincidentally, was Phil Rizzuto day at the Stadium.

You must have been happy when SNY did not hire Fran Healy, good lord...nice man, but, not a good broadcaster.

No spoken words said:
I still miss the Scooter and Bill White on WPIX.

:drool:

and the yankee theme song that started out the yankee broadcasts on channel 11. It would kick Kiner's Korner anyday! Pffft. WWOR...channel 9.

First, I'll say that, obviously, Micheal Kay is not for everyone. Second, I don't really look at him as a homer. He always gives the other team their props when they do well and also criticizes the Yanks when they screw up. Jim Kaat was a great broadcaster and he will definitely be missed. I heard Phil Rizzuto for years, but he stuck around a bit too long for me. Someone would hit an infield pop and Scooter would yell his famous "Holy Cow" like it was a home run or something.
I like the Mets broadcasters, but Keith Hernandez puts his foot in his mouth constantly. Case in point: The Mets were playing the Padres and he spotted San Diego's female trainer in the dugout. He then asked "what's a girl doing in the dugout?" Then he inferred something along the lines that a woman's place is not in the dugout, but the kitchen. Good old Keith didn't do his homework or maybe he would have realized the Padres trainer is a woman and San Diego is very happy with her work. I felt bad for his partner because he had to clue him in. I loved Keith as player, but as a broadcaster he's got some more to learn.

Keith got bashed pretty hard in the media, at least the National media, for those comments. Deservedly so. But, he is a blunt and honest broadcaster...a lot of ex players are loathe to criticize other players, but, to Keith's credit, he rarely pulls punches, at least when I've given SNY a loot.

I do not think is any more of a homer than your average home team broadcaster, and compared to clowns like Hawk Harrelson, he's downright objective. I just don't like his pxp style, he's still in radio mode.

Zoney, Kiner's corner, nice. Friggin WWOR.

Does anyone here remember when WPIX would have kids play video games over the phone, and when they wanted to shoot or swing or whatever they'd yell "PIX"....it was insane, some 11 year old hopped up on Sprees and Kool Aid screaming "PIX...PIX...PIXPIXPIXPIX" into the phone. Nice.

No spoken words said:

Does anyone here remember when WPIX would have kids play video games over the phone, and when they wanted to shoot or swing or whatever they'd yell "PIX"....it was insane, some 11 year old hopped up on Sprees and Kool Aid screaming "PIX...PIX...PIXPIXPIXPIX" into the phone. Nice.
When we first got cable in Mass in the days before U2 was a band, Warner Cable in my town included WWOR and WPIX.
I remember the "PIX PIX PIX" thing.

MrPryck2U said:
First, I'll say that, obviously, Micheal Kay is not for everyone. Second, I don't really look at him as a homer. He always gives the other team their props when they do well and also criticizes the Yanks when they screw up. Jim Kaat was a great broadcaster and he will definitely be missed. I heard Phil Rizzuto for years, but he stuck around a bit too long for me. Someone would hit an infield pop and Scooter would yell his famous "Holy Cow" like it was a home run or something.
I like the Mets broadcasters, but Keith Hernandez puts his foot in his mouth constantly. Case in point: The Mets were playing the Padres and he spotted San Diego's female trainer in the dugout. He then asked "what's a girl doing in the dugout?" Then he inferred something along the lines that a woman's place is not in the dugout, but the kitchen. Good old Keith didn't do his homework or maybe he would have realized the Padres trainer is a woman and San Diego is very happy with her work. I felt bad for his partner because he had to clue him in. I loved Keith as player, but as a broadcaster he's got some more to learn.

keith is obviously not the most PC guy out there... but for the most part he's been great. gary cohen is very good as well, but i liked him better on the radio.

michael kay criticizes the yankees... haha... tell me another one. jeter could hit a routine grounder to the pitcher and kay will compliment how he hustled down the line. ya ever listen to his radio show? the entire discussion centers around how great the yankees are and how the mets can fuck up.

Yes, Yes, I remember PIX on WPIX Channel 11. Kids would always win a prize like the Streets of NY boardgame. Wow, I can't believe somebody remembered that!

I would say for the most part, I can listen to any broadcaster. I like the local guys as well as the national guys like Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. Now I'm sure plenty of people dislike those two guys, but I think they're great. I've been listening to McCarver since he was on Channel 9 and when the station was just called WOR. I also liked Bill White. He made The Scooter tolerable.

Hewson said:

Yes.

Glad some people remembered the PIX thing.

This thread has lasted a while but Red Sox talk stopped a few posts ago....

Read today that the Mets met with Suppan, in case they do not land Zito. Talk about a consolation prize.

MrPryck2U said:
I went to Yankees/Red Sox at The Stadium back in Sept 2005 and they was no anti Red Sox apparel available unless you bought a bootleg "Boston Sucks" shirt for 10 bucks outside The Stadium. So quit being in denial and admit that BoSox fans hate the Yanks more than Yankee fans hate the BoSox. And what's there not to hate, right? After all, since 1918 it's: Evil Empire 26. Boston Red Sox, 1.

I'll admit that we hate the Yankees. But the chants cropping up when we aren't playing the Yankees ALWAYS develop because some Yankees fan has walked by in a Yankees shirt and most likely has made a comment about 26 championships. (I go to 30+ games a year, I've seen enough to know this conclusively. When there's no cause, some asshat might try to start a chant, but they usually fail)

And some Sox fans do take it farther than Yankees fans - often these are not what I consider real baseball fans, but the people who are "fans" because its the cool thing to do, are very drunk, and date girls who wear pink Sox hats. They exist, but they aren't me, or most real Sox fans.

I couldn't find a picture but my favorite Sox shirt is the one that says "Take your 26 rings and shove them up your ass." I don't wear those shirts though, but I have been eyeing the "Real women don't date Yankees fans" shirt.

I live in LA now, and go to a lot of Dodger games and some Angels games. My favorite thing has to be going to a Sox/Angels game....in Anaheim....and "Yankees suck" chants break out. That's not about a Yankee fan in a t-shirt, that's about obsession. It's funny, though. What makes it worse is when a Yankee fan takes offense and starts to argue back. Ugh, just let it go.

"Real women don't date Yankees fans" explains a lot about my love life, actually. :)

Last edited:
No spoken words said:
My employer was a very good friend of Sherm's. I've heard some interesting stories of what went on behind the scenes in the locker room and with Red Sox employees in the 70's and 80's.
Fenway lost something when Sherm's voice went silent.

Hewson said:

Fenway lost something when Sherm's voice went silent.

I agree with that, and not just because we were related. In truth, I'd met him maybe 4-5 times, he did not even attend my Bar Mitzvah!! :) But, I did get to go up to his area at Fenway around age 4 or 5, do not remember it.

He had a distinctive voice, and, I'm pretty sure every NESN Sox telecast begins with his voice welcoming people to Fenway Park.

You know the song "summertime", with the lyrics "It's summertime summertime, sumsum summertime..."? Sherm Feller wrote that (I'm not saying it took amazing creativity to write the song, but, it's at least catchy!) :) Go figure. He was a Boston area DJ as well, at some point in his life. Interesting dude.

No spoken words said:

You know the song "summertime", with the lyrics "It's summertime summertime, sumsum summertime..."? Sherm Feller wrote that (I'm not saying it took amazing creativity to write the song, but, it's at least catchy!) :) Go figure.
I actually did know this fact.
Apparently Sherm used to constatntly get small (very small) royalty checks.

I wish I knew a little more about him. My Grandmother is the last link in the family to his family, and her memory was always poor at best, and now time and age are impacting her further.

MrPryck2U said:
Yes, Yes, I remember PIX on WPIX Channel 11. Kids would always win a prize like the Streets of NY boardgame. Wow, I can't believe somebody remembered that!

I would say for the most part, I can listen to any broadcaster. I like the local guys as well as the national guys like Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. Now I'm sure plenty of people dislike those two guys, but I think they're great. I've been listening to McCarver since he was on Channel 9 and when the station was just called WOR. I also liked Bill White. He made The Scooter tolerable.

You seriously like McCarver?

Wow.

Varitek said:

Once we were out of it we were out of it, and yes, embarassingly so. That Friday double header against the Yankees in August: longest day of my life. I'll take the slightly better draft pick over pride.

Oh wait that's another thing we gave up to get Drew isn't it. (or maybe not :crossefingers: ) Who kidnapped Theo and replaced him with Dan Duquette?

I was in the stands for the second game....the whole game.

I think it is clear that we Red Sox fans have a complex. The first step is to admit you have a problem.

There is more VENOM here. Period. Anyone who does not admit this is in denyal.

I hate the Yankees Suck chant. I love the fights in the bleachers when someone wears a Yankees Shirt.

:wink:

One thing about Yankee Stadium...you can always count on a fight or two, regardless of who they're playing.

2 years ago I went on a little baseball trip with my Dad, we hit both Chicago Stadiums, Miller Park, Old Busch and PNC Park. We were blown away by how nice everyone was at all of the Stadiums, well, except for that abomination on the South Side of Chicago. But, the rest, especially up in Milwaukee, had really great environments, very kid friendly...was nice to go to a game and not have to deal with drunken fools all game long.

I lived in the Bronx for 7 years. Whenever the Sox played the Yanks, I'd see all the patrons of the local bar boarding their bus with hoards of "Boston Sucks" tee shirts.

I'm now in Vermont, and the guy across the street from me mows his laws in a "Boston Sucks" shirt. Fans of the Yanks are no better than fans on the Sawks. The obsession runs both ways.

MrBrau1 said:
I lived in the Bronx for 7 years. Whenever the Sox played the Yanks, I'd see all the patrons of the local bar boarding their bus with hoards of "Boston Sucks" tee shirts.

I'm now in Vermont, and the guy across the street from me mows his laws in a "Boston Sucks" shirt. Fans of the Yanks are no better than fans on the Sawks. The obsession runs both ways.

Disagree. Vehemently

I lived in The Bronx for 24 years, still go back 3-4x a year, and am a life-long Yankee fan, and own no Boston sucks gear, nor does any Yankee fan I know. I never would own any, either. My obsession is with the Yankees, not the Red Sox.

We're obnoxious, I'm sure, in a plethora of ways, but, we're not obsessed with Boston, sorry.

No spoken words said:

Disagree. Vehemently

I lived in The Bronx for 24 years, still go back 3-4x a year, and am a life-long Yankee fan, and own no Boston sucks gear, nor does any Yankee fan I know. I never would own any, either. My obsession is with the Yankees, not the Red Sox.

We're obnoxious, I'm sure, in a plethora of ways, but, we're not obsessed with Boston, sorry.

Disagree all you want.

I saw what I saw.

MrBrau,
You forgot to mention that your neighbor is fuckin' nuts! What kind of dickbag wears a Boston Sucks tee shirt to begin with? Anyone out there guilty of this wardrobe choice?

Back
Top Bottom