Led Zeppelin, Large And Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
When I go see performances of live acts, I tend to over-dramatize their presence on stage?but no words could describe the musicianship I was privy to tonight. ?How the West Was Won?, the new DVD compilation being released this coming Tuesday, represents the progression of Led Zeppelin as a live act? from the early days, to their final collective performances. Tonight, I was able to see the premiere of the live footage, a 1hr and 58 min epic of mind numbing solos by guitar virtuosos and drum demons. 20 songs were extracted from the DVD set, spanning Zeppelin?s whole career? from Communication Breakdown to Kashmir. Not only was it the best next thing to seeing the four piece live, it also exhibited the diversity of the band: from start at you hard rock, to intricate blues songs. Even some rare live songs popped in the mix, a blessing for the hardcore fans of my generation. So, as far as I can remember, the set list broke down like this:

Royal Albert Hall, January 1970
We?re Gonna Groove
I Can?t Quit You Baby
Dazed And Confused
White Summer
What Is And What Should Never Be
Moby Dick
Whole Lotta Love
Communication Breakdown
Bring It On Home

Australian TV Excerpt- 1972
Immigrant Song

Madison Square Garden, July 1973
Black Dog
Misty Mountain Hop
The Ocean

Earl?s Court, May 1975
Going To California
In My Time Of Dying
Stairway To Heaven

Knebworth Festival, August 1979
Rock n? Roll
Nobody?s Fault But My Own
Kashmir
Whole Lotta Love

I entered the theatre with a bunch of teenagers who thought it would be fashionable to go to a Led Zeppelin IMAX experience. Most of the audience either were not born during the reign of Zeppelin, or were casual viewers who just liked the sound of the name? hey, man it?s cool. Whatever drew them there, they all left with the same feeling of ?this was something special?. Although I was pumped entering the theatre? an hour and a half early mind you? the night had a rocky start, where they misspelled the band?s name on the ticket, and the line was very long. All was worth it though, when the feature started, and the band ?came out? from backstage. Starting off with their Royal Albert Hall performance, and We?re Gonna Groove. Although the camera work left something to be desired? the music stood alone, and did so for the next 2 hours.

The first few songs were very blues revivalist? with Page showing off his adeptness with the solo and blues vibrato (understatement). It was especially apparent in Bring It On Home, where Bonham and Page squared off by trading the spotlight in a musicians duel. Plant held up the vocals, mind you this was still during the early days of the band, standing out in the performance of I Can?t Quit You Baby. The best guitar track by far was White Summer, where Page gave a clinic in guitar technique, using complex picking patterns, as well as harmonics. Of course there were also the hits for the audience, including Whole Lotta Love? that was very close to studio form. The unfortunate aspect from this section of the show came from the fact that the volume muted for a while during Moby Dick. This deprived the audience of the John Bonham show, but from the parts that were audible, we definitely felt the vibrations of the country squire.

After arena footage from Royal Albert Hall, the stage shifted to an outdoor stadium venue. I have never seen very much live Zeppelin in a stadium setting, and I wasn?t disappointed from the change. A blistering version of Immigrant Song was the only one from that outlet, but it was definitely the best I have ever seen? Plant?s vocals were enormous.

Then, the more familiar Zeppelin appeared at MSG, very reminiscent of The Song Remains The Same; dim lighting and fancy outfits (zso zso) was the showcase of this set? they started off with one of their most requested songs, Black Dog. This was followed by two of my favorites, Misty Mountain Hop and The Ocean? songs that do not get enough credit as live juggernauts. From this point, the stage shifted again to a more personable arena, from an earlier performance. It was highlighted by Going To California, a song which sparked a man in the audience to say ?oh yeah, that?s my wedding song?? and how I wish I was his best man. In My Time Of Dying followed, a great deep blues tune that again showcased the talent of one Jimmy Page (now you say, doesn?t everything?). Then, the opening bars of Stairway To Heaven broke and I thought to myself ?all of my kingdom for a lighter?, but no such luck. In my opinion, it was one of the best performances of the double-necked solo I?ve ever heard from Page.

But, like all good things, this exhibition was almost over. Only an encore from the Knebworth Festival remained, with the return of the Cadillac of Zeppelin songs? Rock n? Roll. If you think about it, that?s a pretty arrogant title for a song, but then you?re reminded of the source? and all is well. I guess it?s not as bad as Gary Glitter creating a Rock n? Roll Part II :wink:? Anyway, the best performances of the night were left for last, as Kashmir rolled out. It had to be one of the longer live versions, but flawless nonetheless. Then, at the end, there was an encore of Whole Lotta Love. The great part about it, was the fact that the solo changed? no longer was there a gaseous void of instrumentals that lacked direction. In its place were walloping chords, and good old-time rock and roll.

Maybe I?ve taken this review a little far, but can you blame my earnestness? How often do you get a chance to see a band like Led Zeppelin, in a medium so close to the realm of live performance? Not many opportunities arise, and I definitely am looking forward at the chance of more live material. A Whole Lotta Live.

?Thanks. I didn?t know how to say it, but thanks for the last 11 years.? ? Robert Plant after Whole Lotta Love Reprise.

cujo

Last edited:
Because of this scrumtrulescant review, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will be purchasing me some Live Zeppelin DVD's and CD's come Tuesday!

Now if they can just choose between Jason Bonham and Dave Grohl, get the paperwork finished and hit the road, we'd really see something.

A few sidenotes on the show last night:

All proceeds from the event went to the Calgary Children's Fund... thumbs up to Warner Bros. for making the premiere non-profit.

As well, I didn't mention the quality of the cinematography in the latter performances... I must compliment the camera work and production, as for once they actually focused on guitar. I'm sorry, but during a solo I don't want to see the vocalist grooving to the music... I want to see the guitarist who's performing it (maybe it's the guitarist in me who is in constant learning mode... must tab, must tab).

Zeppelin tour again... come on! Why not Jason Bonham? It's keeping it in the family.

PS- Also, I'm sorry for not mentioning John Paul Jones in my review... the guy is just so solid and professional, you often look over his abilities. But, the guy is a talented musician.

:up:

The plectrum was in full-force for Dazed and Confused... you play with that bow Jimmy Page mofo.

How sad is it that so few people here like Led Zeppelin?

They are hands down one of the absolute greatest rock bands of all time. They seriously have so many fantastic songs. Fantastic songs up the ying yang you could say.

Seriously people, if you've never looked into them too mcuh, you NEED to. GREAT stuff.

u2popmofo said:
How sad is it that so few people here like Led Zeppelin?

They are hands down one of the absolute greatest rock bands of all time. They seriously have so many fantastic songs. Fantastic songs up the ying yang you could say.

Seriously people, if you've never looked into them too mcuh, you NEED to. GREAT stuff.

I totally agree.

Cujo,

I am a big Led Zeppelin fan.

I saw some live shows in the 70s from the first five rows.
It was really something!
This DVD, sounds pretty cool.

To me LZ is vinal.

I think I will put them on my turn table and play my own images in my head.
They were huge in the 70s. They never strayed from their roots and sold out to commercial pop.

Rod Stewart's and the Faces first couple of albums :up:
and then the satin and latex pop he transformed into. sad

Thank god, Zep kept it real.

Zep is definitely in my top 5, if not 3, bands ever. I'm really broke, but thinking about charging either the new CD or DVD. I could just wait 'til Friday, though. I listened to half of the Complete Studio Recordings last night, tonight is Physical Graffiti through Coda. Also, the BBC Sessions are always in rotation here.

Vinyl :up:

It's great that there is still a large quantity of good condition records out there... my collection grows.

Immigrant Song :up:

If you can just see this live in the stadium, it's worth whatever price they're charging. Oh Ay Ah Ah... wicked.

What a review CUJO!!!

I sat through the entire DVD tonight. 5+ hours of pure music genius. How is Jimmy Page not immortal.

I tried so hard to win tickets to the premire but am glad i didnt as me a 2 other guys went over to a friedns house and watched it on his 65' TV and his great stereo system. We cracked a few beers and lit a joint near the end then watched Dazed and Confused (the first one, you'll relize why i say the first one when you watch the DVD, there are four dif versions)

And you are so right about JPJ he is so great. He even rocks out. He doesnt just sit back the whole time he will get in there and really go at it.

Tonight was a great night. I cant wait to have another 5+ hrs to burn!

bonoman said:
ya but i got them both for $45 CDN!!!

You lucky SOB!

It was $33 each for me... damn you HMV, damn you all to hell!!!

I got them both together for thirty bucks. Circuit city has the sale. :D I saw it in the Sunday avdertisement. People were calling me and emailing me but I already knew it! My review? EXCELLENT! :up:

It is interesting that this would be released now, considering they have never wanted to release any old live stuff. But with all the bootleggers out there making megabucks, they might as well cash in! There is a guy who operates out of Japan, Fish heads international, who has been selling bootlegs at inflated prices for years. Some of them are very poor quality and can cost almost a hundred bucks. I heard a rumor once Jimmy Page gave all his stufff to bootleggers and claimed it was stolen so he could cash in and Plant and Jones wouldn't be mad. I don't know, though. Sounds like a rumor to me.

If you go to wireimages.com there are a lot of pics of the premiere, with the 3 surviving band members and Bonham's mother, sister, wife and daughter, though no Jason in sight. Don't know if he didn't attend or just wasn't photographed.

shaun vox said:
im the bigest led zep fan on this site.peace.
i got the dvd and the cd and they both rock..

nope. I am. here's the proof: I don't even own a DVD player, but I'm gonna buy one now, just for this.:wink:

Led Zeppelin Tour 2004?

Well there have been rumblings of a Led Zeppelin reunion tour for the past 15 years pretty much... and a few of you have touched on that, where Jason Bonham or Dave Grohl would get the nod to bang the drum.

I just saw this posting on a site that announces a strong possibility that they will tour in 2004:

http://www.ticketvision.com/ledzeppelin/

I don't know how credible the information is, but apparently you can sign up as a TICKET INSIDER... guaranteeing you the latest info on tix. However, the likelyhood of landing seats to one of their shows is slim to none anyway.

Led Zeppelin unveil rare film

More than eight hours of rare concert films and sound recordings of rock band Led Zeppelin are to be released for the first time.

Fifty-eight tracks recorded over a decade of live performances will be spread across two DVDs and three CDs.

Guitarist Jimmy Page has compiled the project from film footage and audio tapes discovered during a trawl of the archives.

The three surviving members of the group - Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones - are due to attend the world premi?re of the DVD in London next week.

The impact and the power of what on a good night four people could create - it's something very special
Robert Plant

Although many unofficial bootleg copies exist of the band's concerts, this will be the first official release of the recordings.

Page spent several months going through the vaults to compile the live document after acquiring footage from a show at the Royal Albert Hall in London.

Some of the films and audio tapes were in such poor condition that they had to be baked in ovens for up to 60 hours to make them playable.

Band members stretched their memories to match up silent film footage of their concerts with the appropriate soundtracks.

Singer Robert Plant said he had been taken aback by the results.

"It fills me with awe and surprise and so much memory that I had actually put to sleep," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

Maybe we could get together. If everybody felt it was a good idea on the same day...you never know
John Paul Jones

"The impact and the power of what on a good night four people could create - it's something very special."

Throughout their heyday from the late 1960s to the mid-1970s, Led Zeppelin were among the most popular and successful rock acts in the world.

They split in 1980 after drummer John Bonham died following a drinking binge.

Band members have refused to rule out persistent rumours that they would perform again as Led Zeppelin.

Bassist and keyboard player John Paul Jones said: "You can never say never about anything.

"Maybe we could get together. If everybody felt it was a good idea on the same day...you never know."

Page added: "If we could get in a room and play the instruments and feel passionate about it, that would be all right wouldn't it? I'm not counting anything out at all."

Courtesy of:

BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/music/3003287.stm

Published: 2003/05/06 10:29:35 GMT

? BBC MMIII

... So, any thoughts?

I went to Circuit City here and didnt see any sign noting that kind of deal.

They had sold out of the DVD's.

I cant decide to buy the cd now or not. I may see Foo Fighters this week instead. I have to wait things out and see what happens.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Oh yes, see the Foos. One helluva show, I must tell you.

I know!!! I want to go bad. My sissified roommate keeps on acting like he may not have enough money to go. I will whipkick him until he desires to go to this concert. I must go.

i will help you kick his sissy ass

u2popmofo said:

I know!!! I want to go bad. My sissified roommate keeps on acting like he may not have enough money to go. I will whipkick him until he desires to go to this concert. I must go.

You have to go. Go alone if need be.

Dave kicks so much ass I can hardly stand it. Seriously.

Re: i will help you kick his sissy ass

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

You have to go. Go alone if need be.

Dave kicks so much ass I can hardly stand it. Seriously.

I agree with everything you have written in this post 100%.

So, would you say that the "How the West Was Won" cd's kick booty? Necessary purchases?

Cujo-ho is too slow to listen to them and review them.

They will be reviewed in the near future... but yes, I am painfully slow.

Back
Top Bottom