Kyzyl Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'know, if people spot you photographing trams, and someone gets suspicious, you could end up with a knock on your door by ASIO, "the friendly Australian government service".

major_panic said:

You've clearly never tried to carry a seven foot long spear on board a tram with stairs before then :tsk:

I have tried to take an ironing board and heavy suitcases on them though! That's always entertaining. So, yeah, point taken. But I still prefer them.

bono_man2002 said:
I'm going to bed folks.

See you guys tomorrow! thanks for another great day of post whoreing!

:wave:

Have a good night! :wave:

major_panic said:
Y'know, if people spot you photographing trams, and someone gets suspicious, you could end up with a knock on your door by ASIO, "the friendly Australian government service".

I've heard of railfans in the US and UK being harassed. Seems not to be too much of an issue here. I still am very self-conscious though.

One thing I do is that, if a child walks into view, I will always abandon the shot unless it is absolutely unrepeatable, and come back another day. I'd rather not even worry about children being in my shots.

Now look what's happened. I'm in tram photo posting mode.

s640x480

Most attractive trams in the city. :drool:

Axver said:

One thing I do is that, if a child walks into view, I will always abandon the shot unless it is absolutely unrepeatable, and come back another day. I'd rather not even worry about children being in my shots.

:yes:

DO THE RIGHT THING!

Seriously though, contemporary society sucks.

Axver said:
Those would be the W class. The really, truly old Ws are all gone unfortunately, I think all of the ones in service now are W5s or later (which means none date earlier than the late 1940s), except for a couple of W2 trams still on restaurant duty. The green and cream ones tend to run the route 30 and route 78/79. I see them frequently on LaTrobe Street.

s640x480

(That's one I photographed at the intersection of LaTrobe and Elizabeth.)
That's the one...

1940s is still pretty old! You don't see many 60-year-old cars still running. :huh:

major_panic said:
Seriously though, contemporary society sucks.

This is for sure. Seriously, who the fuck would call ASIO over someone taking train/tram photos anyway? Come on people.

I would love, though, to be able to go out into the country one day and find a nice spot to photograph trains. This is why I hate being unable to drive. If I could drive, I could just rent a car, pack a nice lunch, and go find some quiet, peaceful spot to read and photograph trains.

Man, you gotta love Melbourne. Wouldn't live in Sydney, or any other part of Australia for any reason at all.

Alisaura said:

That's the one...

1940s is still pretty old! You don't see many 60-year-old cars still running. :huh:

Yeah, though these things are built to last. If you can't get 30 years of good service out of a railed vehicle, you've really wasted your money. 40 years is considered good. At the end of the steam era, a lot of steam locomotives only 15 years old were cut up for scrap and that was a terrible waste of locomotives that could have kept going at least another two decades.

The W class are seriously doing an impressive job though. The youngest are about 50 years old and shouldn't be withdrawn any time soon.

Alisaura said:

Cos they're free? :wink:

:drool:

Public transport in Melbourne is generally free, up to the point where you get caught and cornered by five huge inspectors who can't speak English and are more than happy to use force.

It's not that I'm advocating freeloading off the system or anything, just disagreeing with the people they hire to enforce it.

Alisaura said:

Cos they're free? :wink:

:drool:

:lol:

I love their paint scheme. It looks so attractive. Certainly beats the rather unexciting fog grey and white that Yarra Trams likes to use. I miss the yellow and green. That was pretty much my favourite livery of any railed vehicle, ever.

Axver said:
The W class are seriously doing an impressive job though. The youngest are about 50 years old and shouldn't be withdrawn any time soon.
Nice...

Stupid wasteful progress-obsessed humans. :sigh:

Hey, have you been to this "Railfan Shop"? It's near the corner of Flinders Lane and Market street...

major_panic said:
Public transport in Melbourne is generally free, up to the point where you get caught and cornered by five huge inspectors who can't speak English and are more than happy to use force.

It's not that I'm advocating freeloading off the system or anything, just disagreeing with the people they hire to enforce it.

Earlier today, I actually got my ticket inspected by a young and rather attractive lady. It was so weird. I almost asked "but where's the big ugly brute whose knowledge of English starts and finishes with 'ticket'?"

Also, I did the sums last year. I had my ticket inspected seven times. If I had not been on a student concession, it would have been cheaper to take the fines than buy monthly passes.

major_panic said:

Well, okay, guilt-free, then? :wink:

major_panic said:
Man, you gotta love Melbourne. Wouldn't live in Sydney, or any other part of Australia for any reason at all.

I don't want to live in any other city anywhere. Sure, it's not New Zealand, but it's close enough that being a historian of the place should hopefully still be practical. The flight's only 3.5 hours to Wellington, and on an academic's salary and my dislike for buying more than I need, I won't have trouble affording frequent flights across the Tasman.

Axver said:

Earlier today, I actually got my ticket inspected by a young and rather attractive lady. It was so weird. I almost asked "but where's the big ugly brute whose knowledge of English starts and finishes with 'ticket'?"

Axver said:
Also, I did the sums last year. I had my ticket inspected seven times. If I had not been on a student concession, it would have been cheaper to take the fines than buy monthly passes.

I've only had my ticket inspected three or four times. The remainder of the times there were inspectors around, they looked at me, noticed the seven foot long spear I was carrying, then noticed the ominous bag I had slung over my shoulder (carrying my swords), then decided they hadn't in fact seen me. It's great.

Axver said:
I love their paint scheme. It looks so attractive. Certainly beats the rather unexciting fog grey and white that Yarra Trams likes to use. I miss the yellow and green. That was pretty much my favourite livery of any railed vehicle, ever.
Same. It is annoying that the restaurant trams are the same colour as the city circle ones, but I think they're on different routes so it's not a big deal... I see a lot of the restaurant ones going up and down King's Way.

An English friend of mine was visiting Melbourne some years ago, and also preferred the green/gold colour scheme... so much so that when he finally spotted a green/gold tram (I think most of them were decked out in ads and stuff at that point), he stood in the middle of traffic to take a picture.

Of course, this is the same idiot who later scratched a real wild lion in Africa under the chin, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.

Alisaura said:
Hey, have you been to this "Railfan Shop"? It's near the corner of Flinders Lane and Market street...

NO.

BUT NOW I AM EXCITED.

How the hell have I missed that? The bloody 55 goes right past it!

Axver said:

Green and Gold: The Australian Way (Until the Howard era of political correctness)

major_panic said:
I've only had my ticket inspected three or four times. The remainder of the times there were inspectors around, they looked at me, noticed the seven foot long spear I was carrying, then noticed the ominous bag I had slung over my shoulder (carrying my swords), then decided they hadn't in fact seen me. It's great.
I would have thought those things would mean you got extra attention... although maybe from cops rather than tram inspectors. :lol:

major_panic said:

:lmao: That's classic. I'm actually genuinely surprised they let you bring your spear and swords on the trams though. I suppose they're too afraid to ask you to get weapons off the tram?

Alisaura said:
Same. It is annoying that the restaurant trams are the same colour as the city circle ones, but I think they're on different routes so it's not a big deal... I see a lot of the restaurant ones going up and down King's Way.

An English friend of mine was visiting Melbourne some years ago, and also preferred the green/gold colour scheme... so much so that when he finally spotted a green/gold tram (I think most of them were decked out in ads and stuff at that point), he stood in the middle of traffic to take a picture.

Of course, this is the same idiot who later scratched a real wild lion in Africa under the chin, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.

Yeah, I've seen the restaurant trams in all kinds of interesting places. Actually, while I was waiting for you at the meet-up, they went by. I only got one photo though, and it was crap due to a car in the way. All my other shots were totally blocked by pedestrians.

And :lol: you told me that story. That's just hilarious.

I'm certainly in no hurry to take photos from traffic! I'll take them from the footpath or tram stops or the Bourke St stairs at Spencer Street Station, thank you very much! I wish to live.

Axver said:
NO.

BUT NOW I AM EXCITED.

How the hell have I missed that? The bloody 55 goes right past it!
I've only ever walked past it, it's probably mostly models and things, and it's not really extremely visible. But I can show you where it is, at any rate :)

major_panic said:
(Until the Howard era of political correctness)

And until the Kennett era of selling off everything as fast as possible with careless disregard for the long term ...

BRING BACK THE MET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom