Knockemstiff, Ohio Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noes! Boo to encroachment. :madspit:
I love parks, the little islands of sanity in the middle of suburbia/the city.

The part of the park between the Children's Hospital and the route 55 on Flemington Road is currently under construction. It was nice parkland, but now it's a big hole in the ground with foundation work being undertaken. I think it's part of the hospital expansion works, though, so I'm not too pissed about it. If it were commercial development, I'd be really bloody unhappy.

I consider this as perhaps my best photo ever, to date.

2be8ffc4.jpg

Yeah, that's quality. :up:

I consider this as perhaps my best photo ever, to date.

2be8ffc4.jpg

Very cool! :up:
Is it just me, or does it look like it's flexing in the middle... :uhoh:

Ooh, I saw in the MX today that we're getting these new yellow "bumble-bee" trams...? Apparently running on St Kilda and East Brunswick routes. They look like they should be able to go a lot faster than they will be!

I barely looked up when Air New Zealand and Qantas domestic were coming in. Because Pacific Blue is still rather rare, it's worth photographing.

Because of the lack of variety, i find a lot of fun is in trying to take the best photo and improving on it, rather than spotting something really, really cool.

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I rarely ever take photographs on the route 55 at my home and university stops now, since I've pretty much photographed it to death. I think the last time I got my camera out at my home stop was when Z3 209 and its white bumper rocked through on a West Coburg service while I waited for a Domain Interchange service. Though if I had a good zoom, I could take some awesome photos of trams descending Melville Road from Moreland Road; my current zoom is far too inadequate for that to be worth the effort.

When I'm in a photographic mood, I also sometimes intentionally get off trams or trains one stop early or late just to photograph a different location and get some variety.

How close are we meant to get to finishing the thread for Vazza to start one when she's up?

Air New Zealand 777-200 operating New Zealand 90 from Christchurch
6883f41b.jpg

If it seems like a big plane to be running this route, it is. It operates a triangular route - Auckland - Osaka - Christchurch - Auckland

While I'm here... you interested in medieval illuminated manuscripts at all, Ax? (and any other Melbournites that might be around) I'm going to this free exhibition tomorrow night in the State Library.

Ooh, I saw in the MX today that we're getting these new yellow "bumble-bee" trams...? Apparently running on St Kilda and East Brunswick routes. They look like they should be able to go a lot faster than they will be!

Ah yes, the C2 class. Five trams on loan from Mulhouse, France until some of our own are built. The first one's been testing and undergoing driver training on city streets for a while now - I managed to spot it one day on Bourke Street quite by accident. I could hear a tram coming, turned to look, and blurted out "HOLY SHIT, IT'S THE C2!"

I don't get why the news media is referring to it as Bumblebee 1, though. There was some silly contest to name the trams; I guess that's what won? And yeah, they'll be running route 96 between St Kilda and East Brunswick, since it has a crush load of 1,200 and the 96 is one of the most heavily trafficked routes in the city (and proving every day that ripping out the St Kilda railway line and replacing it with a tram line was a daft, daft move).

While I'm here... you interested in medieval illuminated manuscripts at all, Ax? (and any other Melbournites that might be around) I'm going to this free exhibition tomorrow night in the State Library.

Oooh? Tell more.

Though I'm not sure I'd really be able to see much ...?

How close are we meant to get to finishing the thread for Vazza to start one when she's up?

I was actually just about to ask this myself. How close do we want to push it? I mean, we don't want to end up needing to start a new thread early, but we also don't want this to stall and need 20 posts that aren't coming in any terrible hurry.

OK, this is totally one of my favourite tramspotting locations in the city: looking northwards across the Elliot Ave tram level crossing.

Here's Z3 190 in the distance.

s640x480

And Z3 135 swinging around the corner.

s640x480

The thread usually goes a bit dead once we're all sleeping - i think perhaps leave it at 10-15 to go, probably closer to 10.

If we leave 10 and it doesn't come she can spam it forward, it won't take long.

Oooh? Tell more.

Though I'm not sure I'd really be able to see much ...?

I was wondering about that; I dunno how big the things are, or how close you can get.

Here's a link:
The Medieval Imagination: Illuminated Manuscripts from Cambridge, Australia and New Zealand, State Library of Victoria

In other news, I've just copied a crapload of reggae music onto my comp. Never really listened to reggae, should be interesting, if nothing else. A girl at work keeps telling me how cool the basslines are, so it can't be all bad. :wink:

Oh yeah, and here's B2 2005 on my favourite corner, with the tree to the right looking rather the worse for wear after the storms that ravaged Melbourne a couple of days earlier.

s640x480

And now after extolling the virtues of not seeking rarity, here is Royal Brunei 767-300ER operating as Brunei 78

8b69df75.jpg

In an explosion of rarity, it was followed out by the Air New Zealand Holidays logojet, 737-300 ZK-FRE
8aea3866.jpg

6aec400f.jpg

aa9894f0.jpg

Last edited:
The thread usually goes a bit dead once we're all sleeping - i think perhaps leave it at 10-15 to go, probably closer to 10.

If we leave 10 and it doesn't come she can spam it forward, it won't take long.

Yeah, that sounds good to me. I should probably disappear from the Internet at some point soon anyway and get work done.

Those "obey the yellow" ads squick me out. Did they NEED to get a guy in lycra with a stripe right there?!

:laugh: Yeah, those are weird.

On the other hand, the D class tram with a map of the world advertising Emirates Airlines is fucking AWESOME. Though I fear it's been repainted as I haven't seen it for ages and never actually got a photo of it. Only seen it once since I actually got a camera on me, and it was in the early days of camera possession when I didn't carry it everywhere.

In an explosion of rarity, it was followed out by the Air New Zealand Holidays logojet, 737-300 ZK-FRE
8aea3866.jpg

I rather like that paint scheme. :up:

Certainly a bit more exciting than the Yarra Trams corporate livery, as seen on B2 2070:

s640x480

Seriously, why did they choose the most boring livery in the world?!

Anyway, here is Korean Air 777-200 HL7575 as Korean 132 to SOUL! Er, Seoul

2cc5ffa0.jpg

Bono was onboard?

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to today's flight to SOUL! Please pay close attention as our crew demonstrate how to kneel."

B2 2070 proceeding across Elliot Ave. I would like to get closer so that I can photograph the tram with the "pedestrians give way to trams" sign more prominently, but then I would have to stand on the platform and fool the driver into thinking I want to get on. Might have to ride the tram to this stop one day and take the photo straight after disembarking.

s640x480

Oooh, that sounds awesome. I'll try to dig out my monocular. I'd love to see that.
Cool... I think the exhibition is closing this weekend, and it's open late on Thursdays, which is why I'm going tomorrow. I'll just swing by after work or something... let me know if you wanna go then.

They didn't need it, but is it memorable?

Oh fuck. The cat has fleas.
Ack.

Memorable, yes; but I don't remember the message, just the TMI.

Bono was onboard?

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to today's flight to SOUL! Please pay close attention as our crew demonstrate how to kneel."
:lol:

It's not great. If it was white instead of grey it would be much more attractive.

The latest livery on the Z3s has been just straight white, which I honestly think is worse.

I miss the green and yellow Met livery. At least some of the Ws are still in the even older green and cream Met livery.

Here's a non-repainted Z3 with a tram speed limit sign for trams approaching Elliot Ave. I'm quite happy with this picture.

s640x480

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom