Kholat Syakhl, Russia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

I need some kind of "HEY I'M NEARLY LEGALLY BLIND" sign so that people will offer me their spot. :wink:

In Brisbane, it seemed nobody was very pushy, but in Sydney, bloody hell. This one dickhead kept trying to push his head between me and the guy beside me. He eventually made it to the rail in the encore. I was on the verge of violently pushing him away but then I was enjoying Trains too much to care ...

people got kinda pushy at the end of 12/4. partly when he was pulling people on stage, which i understand, and then when we came back into the ellipse people didn't wanna give us our spots back. probably the 2 girls in front of me thought i was trying to get in between them a few times, i tried to ask them if i could have a few moments to steady my elbow on the hand rail for pics but they kinda ignored me.

they were actually part of a pleban clique i think, i have no idea who they were now though. but they were with the ones who brought the flags i think. and may also have all had an "in" to get buzzed into the ellipse.

major_panic said:

Wear dark glasses and carry a cane, then when people ask, just tell them that you "can hear perfectly fine, thank you very much, and I happen to enjoy the music too".

See, I'm getting an ID cane soon and thinking maybe it would be useful, but then I'm also thinking some people would say "hey you can't fucking see, why should you go up the front?"

Though it would also have other uses, like "accidentally" swinging it into the shins of pushy "I wanna be front row gimme front row" entitlement whores ...

Axver said:
In covered train stations I'd be better off with flash, but I just won't use it. And I still haven't figured out how to take good twilight and night shots.

At a concert, I'd probably use flash in some circumstances, but not when they're really close and it'll be right in their face. I think that's just rude.
I can't take good low-light shots... my camera's just not good enough. Maybe if I had a tripod and could keep it 100% still.... :shrug:

Alisaura said:

I'm pretty sure you can. I've cited conversations I've had with scientists... although that was in first year. Give it a try and see what happens ;)

if you have previously published your work in some way, you have to cite yourself. i agree that sucks. also if something was said in class but not in the readings, i never know what to do - cite the prof and the lecture date? i usually just consider it general knowledge for the class and leave it uncited. never had a problem with citations.

Varitek said:
also if something was said in class but not in the readings, i never know what to do - cite the prof and the lecture date?

We're explicitly told never to cite lectures. My favourite lecturer would always say "it's flattering but I'll mark you down". Basically, if it's covered in a lecture, you can guarantee a source out there says it.

Axver said:

See, I'm getting an ID cane soon and thinking maybe it would be useful, but then I'm also thinking some people would say "hey you can't fucking see, why should you go up the front?"

Though it would also have other uses, like "accidentally" swinging it into the shins of pushy "I wanna be front row gimme front row" entitlement whores ...

:lol:

an ID cane - like one of the red and white striped ones? (well that's what they look like here) I guess I wouldn't think someone with the ability to say read interference forums would want/need one.

do you take pics of trains in part so you can see the detail?

Axver said:

I've always wanted a cane just in case, so I always have a(nother) weapon handy. (I usually have at least one to hand at all times).

If people do say that, just tell them that you're partially deaf too and can only hear from the front, I guess.

Axver said:

We're explicitly told never to cite lectures. My favourite lecturer would always say "it's flattering but I'll mark you down". Basically, if it's covered in a lecture, you can guarantee a source out there says it.

right i don't cite them. i do cite the course readings if i use them, whether it was in lecture or not, because if i read it, i feel i have to cite it.

Varitek said:

ok so i get a blank white page with a search box and an enter button, and the thing that says "this is supposed to happen" whether i've just loaded the page or searched for something or clicked your links!

Oooh, that's right, first time there you need to enter the code given on the old site. The word is "quack" (no quotation marks, of course).

OMG ITS AWESOME i feel a little less of the desperate urge to download everything i can from my network

are they torrents? or some other form?

(btw i'm currently downloading all of the bands wikipedia lists under post-rock, because i've decided i really like post-rock, plus a few others i've never really heard but i'm still getting half their catalog just in case i like them!

Varitek said:

:lol:

an ID cane - like one of the red and white striped ones? (well that's what they look like here) I guess I wouldn't think someone with the ability to say read interference forums would want/need one.

do you take pics of trains in part so you can see the detail?

I frankly don't know! I've talked to Vision Australia about it and they say it's a good idea for me to have one, but I actually don't know the difference between types of canes. Terrible, I know. But I'll find out on Friday.

My friend who is legally blind and has a guide dog would have no problem reading here, though she may enlarge the text somewhat. People don't understand legal blindness all too well, and when it comes to my albinism, I'm not surprised; many of us (hopefully an ophthalmologist will soon say I'm one of them) are functionally legally blind, i.e. on controlled tests we don't reach the threshold for legal blindness, but outside we're absolutely fucked. On a sunny afternoon, I can often not see more than a metre or two in front of me.

And yes, I routinely find all kinds of detail in my train and tram photos that I never saw while I was actually there. Some of my best photos with multiple trains have been total flukes as I've only been aware the closest train was there.

Varitek said:
OMG ITS AWESOME i feel a little less of the desperate urge to download everything i can from my network

are they torrents? or some other form?

They're all on sites like send space, mega upload, and rapid share.

I have downloaded SO MUCH stuff from Sordo, it's insane.

I think I've always intended getting into Post-Rock more. I have a Tortoise album, and that's about it.

Oh, and I see Flying Saucer Attack is listed there too. They're good.

Varitek said:
hey ax have you heard the "the rescue" project by eits? what do you think?

I've got it, it has some cool stuff, but to be honest with you, I haven't listened to it that closely. Most of my plays of it come because it immediately follows The Earth Is Not A Cold, Dead Place on iTunes.

Axver said:

I frankly don't know! I've talked to Vision Australia about it and they say it's a good idea for me to have one, but I actually don't know the difference between types of canes. Terrible, I know. But I'll find out on Friday.

My friend who is legally blind and has a guide dog would have no problem reading here, though she may enlarge the text somewhat. People don't understand legal blindness all too well, and when it comes to my albinism, I'm not surprised; many of us (hopefully an ophthalmologist will soon say I'm one of them) are functionally legally blind, i.e. on controlled tests we don't reach the threshold for legal blindness, but outside we're absolutely fucked. On a sunny afternoon, I can often not see more than a metre or two in front of me.

And yes, I routinely find all kinds of detail in my train and tram photos that I never saw while I was actually there. Some of my best photos with multiple trains have been total flukes as I've only been aware the closest train was there.

interesting. i guess i usually (mistakenly i know) think of blindness as total blindness. which is dumb as i've got extremely severe nearsightedness myself, but it's correctable to 20-20. but there's no way the army could ever draft me! i am hoping some day laser surgery can correct me as i hate hate hate it when i can't see.

so sunlight affects your vision and not just your skin? is it like, everything beyond a meter goes white, or what? is your vision usually blurred, like my classic nearsightedness? i would not be able to read normal font on this laptop screen from typing distance if i didn't have my contacts on.

it's no wonder you don't like movies or tv much.

The Sad Punk said:
I think I've always intended getting into Post-Rock more. I have a Tortoise album, and that's about it.

Oh, and I see Flying Saucer Attack is listed there too. They're good.

i guess i didn't dl all the bands listed. they aren't on my network, just searched. i guess i'll check sordo!

i got several tortoise albums.

Axver said:

I've got it, it has some cool stuff, but to be honest with you, I haven't listened to it that closely. Most of my plays of it come because it immediately follows The Earth Is Not A Cold, Dead Place on iTunes.

lol that happens to so many of my albums.

i've only listened once. i think it's a cool project and i'd absolutely drop dead of excitement if u2 released something like it to see how the band would work under those conditions, even if the stuff sucked. i really liked the later tracks of the rescue the most and a few i wish they'd develop more. my boyfriend thought it was boring and watered down and such - it certainly doesn't have the same amount of resonance or whatever you would call it when they play the 3 guitars just so.

Axver said:

They're all on sites like send space, mega upload, and rapid share.

I have downloaded SO MUCH stuff from Sordo, it's insane.

yeah i checked it out. between that and u2start, maybe i'll subscribe to one or two of those dl sites next year when i have an income.

but probably not, i'm a cheap bastard.

The Sad Punk said:
Also what is this sordo thing and is it the answer to my question.

he just told me about it 2 pages ago. google sordo and enter ducky in the search box that comes up and you will think you've died and gone to heaven

The Sad Punk said:
Ax, do you have any idea where to download Swervedriver's first album? That has my favourite song of theirs on it.

Sordo links to here: http://rapid share.com/files/72799923/Swervedriver_-_Raise.rar

I've never gotten a dud from Sordo yet, though sometimes the tagging leaves something to be desired.

Varitek said:

he just told me about it 2 pages ago. google sordo and enter ducky in the search box that comes up and you will think you've died and gone to heaven

Not ducky; quack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom