Kardinia Park, Geelong, Victoria, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This ones called the Maze (cause it's a corn (maize) maze) get stalked (GET IT?!) In the maze bwahahahaahha!

Hey, Shepp Daniel, Melbourne Laneway is $145 including fees. I was right yesterday about it going on sale on the 19th, so Wednesday next week.

We're tossing up whether or not to go.

Damn! For us, Laneway may work out cheaper than going to a whole bunch of sideshows ...

If we just did sideshows, no Laneway, it's going to be twice as expensive if nothing clashes. Even if we go to Laneway and go to the sideshows for two or three bands that we want to see full sets by, it'll still be cheaper than just doing all the sideshows.

So yeah, we're doing Laneway. Plus it avoids the risk for Charlotte that she'll miss seeing bands she really wants to see if their sideshows fall during the week she's away.

After Laneway '11 the lineup's a little disappointing, but it still looks awesome, can't wait.

Futures looks good too... I think I might have to go just for James :heart: Murphy.

Still wondering where Neon Indian are going to fit in out of all of this, if at all.

Won't be shocked if Neon Indian are added to the BDO or Future Music lineups. I really don't care as long as there's a sideshow. I need some more live Neon Indian in my life and I've no desire to go to either of those festivals.

And I think I prefer this year's Laneway lineup. Though Auckland Laneway last year got Children's Hour, a one-off reunion of a seminal Kiwi post-punk band that I hate myself for missing. Nothing this time around matches up to that for me. (Children's Hour morphed into Headless Chickens, and I imagine anybody who listened to Aussie or Kiwi radio in the mid-nineties probably remembers their songs Cruise Control and George.)

I'd be pretty surprised if they were added to Future or BDO. Laneway would be the best bet. I hope James Murphy drops Tomorrow Never Knows, like he did all those years ago while peaking on ecstasy... :heart:

But that's the full Laneway lineup already, unless I'm grossly mistaken.

Don't see why BDO or Future Music would be a surprise for Neon Indian. He'd be a good fit for both.

I would have assumed Neon Indian would have been a shoo-in for Laneway to complete the chillw... glo-f... whatever trifecta along with Toro y Moi and Washed Out, but I think he'd be suitable for BDO or Future. There are some tracks on Era Extrana begging for the Summer festival treatment.

I hope so. Now that I think about it BDO's a big chance. There's just nothing close to chillwave on the Future bill.

Era Extraña isn't exactly the most chillwave thing on the planet, though.

Like I was saying in Random, I don't even know what "chillwave" is supposed to be anymore. I would definitely consider Era Extrana to be more chillwave than his fucking debut album, but I realize that I was apparently the only person in the whole world who didn't like that album.

Of the big three of chillwave, I'd consider Washed Out to be the truest example of the genre. Life Of Leisure and Within And Without are I think fairly well definitive. Neon Indian is just as much synth pop as chillwave, I think, and Toro Y Moi has really moved to funk lately (not to mention a lot of Causers Of This had a serious eighties R&B influence).

Now that I really know what the genre name "means" I kind of hate it because it seems like it's almost as bad at grunge at actually having any kind of defining sound.

What I mean is the kings of "grunge" are Nirvana and Pearl Jam, yes? Yet the two bands couldn't sound less alike, and all of the other bands that are considered to be "grunge" don't really sound like any other one either.

You were saying that the "big three" Chillwave bands don't quite sound like what would be considered "chillwave" either, that's all.

bono_212 said:
Now that I really know what the genre name "means" I kind of hate it because it seems like it's almost as bad at grunge at actually having any kind of defining sound.

Reading this sentence gave me a headache.

What I mean is the kings of "grunge" are Nirvana and Pearl Jam, yes? Yet the two bands couldn't sound less alike, and all of the other bands that are considered to be "grunge" don't really sound like any other one either.

You were saying that the "big three" Chillwave bands don't quite sound like what would be considered "chillwave" either, that's all.

They all shared a similar enough aesthetic, I'd say. What I'm getting at regarding the "big three" chillwave bands is that they've headed in different directions, but they shared something of a common sound in the beginning. There isn't too much separating, say, Blessa, New Theory, and Deadbeat Summer. Toro Y Moi has moved the most and I think Underneath The Pine isn't chillwave at all. At times, Neon Indian and Washed Out remain not too far removed.

I'm still not sure what you're indicating when you say what the genre "means". Far as I know, it was just the word that sounded the least retarded out of "hypnagogic pop", "glo-fi", and "chillwave", ergo it became the popular term.

Thus "means" being in quotes in the first place. Obviously all genre tags are just there to try and create some kind of system in order to allow people to discuss music and its similarities to OTHER music.

I'm still totally confused as to what you think the genre name means, though. :lol:

Oh, like, basic BASIC idea would be just laid back dance music. Now, obviously that's super general, but I'd rather call something "Chillwave" than "laid back dance music".

I was quite amused at how little dancing went on at the chillwave gigs I saw, besides a little bit of shuffling on the spot and slightly exaggerated head nodding.

But that just might be Melbourne. People don't like to stick out and be the first to really get into it, especially not the hipster set.

That's what's so weird to me about the genre. The people that listen to it, like yourself, don't seem to really be into dance music, so when I heard Chillwave albums that are downright party pieces, I'm always a bit taken about :lol:

In other topics, are you familiar with Pale Saints?

I don't really see it as being THAT danceable. Some tracks obviously are, but to take Washed Out as an example, I don't really see Feel It All Around, Amor Fati, or You And I packing the dance floors. In the sense of being dance music, I take as being akin to IDM in the sense that it's dance music you don't dance to.

And yeah, I've got Pale Saints' album The Comforts Of Madness, which is solid without massively sticking out, and the EP Flesh Balloon, which has a couple of quite strong tracks on it.

I was mostly thinking of Memory Tapes when I said that.

I'm listening to The Comforts of Madness right now and I really like it a lot.

I've listened to Memory Tapes's album Seek Magic once. It evidently didn't leave a mark - I'd even forgot that I had it. I'll have to give it another spin.

Comforts Of Madness, although good, doesn't do as much for me as I feel like it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom