Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Echoing the general enthusiasm for this album. The multi-movement style in the songs is a really wise move, as it makes the album feel much more concise than its 70-odd minute runtime. I think Tunnel Vision might be my favorite on first listen, but really the only weak point on here is Mirrors, which is probably the only song on here than sounds anything like current top-forty R&B.

Tunnel Vision was also my favorite on the first listen. The CD just arrived yesterday so I'll be listening to it on my road trip this weekend.

I'd say his solo debut was his MJ joint. FutureSex was his Prince album. This is him doing, I dunno, Al Green? Marvin Gaye? Frank Ocean??

It's not even funny how many of today's MTV acts want to emulate MJ...and fail.

Aping others never hurt Coldplay or Gaga or JT. :shrug:

I don't see this album as an aping of Jackson at all. Really the only comparison there is the liberal use of falsetto. I think Bollox is right in pointing out a more Motown-oriented direction.

^ Agree.

I listened to this a lot on my weekend road trip. I crank it up every time Mirrors comes on and I love the verses, but when the chorus kicks in it grates a little on my nerves. I still like it, though.

It's just solid all the way through. Tunnel Vision is still my favorite but today I was really getting into Pusher Love Girl.

I have no problem with the length of the songs. Except Mirrors.

I didn't expect to like this but it hits that 80's sweet spot (and a little Marvin Gaye). It's like Lionel Richie (especially Let the groove get in) and Michael Jackson. :D All the songs have something interesting going on. This will win Grammys.

Favorite so far: Blue Ocean Floor.

I tried to rank the songs today. This is as far as I can get.

Suit & Tie / Don't Hold the Wall / Strawberry Bubblegum / Tunnel Vision / That Girl / Let the Groove Get In / Blue Ocean Floor
Pusher Love
Spaceship Coupe
Mirrors

Blue Ocean Floor, on paper, sounds like the coolest idea ever. I mean, how great is it that a pop star wants to layer vocal tracks over whale sounds or some shit? Fucking up the mainstream!

But every time it comes on I just want the song to end after a minute or two, so yeah. Not a favorite of mine. Nearly every other song has a better hook and uses its runtime in more engaging ways. Still way better than SexyBack in any case. Mirrors is cheese.

If I had to rank them:

1. That Girl (8.5/10)
2. Suit & Tie (8.5/10)
3. Strawberry Bubblegum (8/10)
4. Don't Hold the Wall (8/10)
5. Let the Groove Get In (7.5/10)
6. Pusher Love Girl (7.5/10)
7. Tunnel Vision (7/10)
8. Spaceship Coupe (6.5/10)
9. Blue Ocean Floor (6/10)
10. Mirrors (5.5/10)

Agree with you about Blue Ocean Floor. I just zone out and have no idea what the song really sounds like because it's just kind of boring so I don't pay attention to it. Every time it comes one I think "Ok, I'm really going to listen to it this time" but I can't stay with it.

For what it's worth, I really enjoy Mirrors. Can't rank the album just yet, but it has been an enjoyable experience.

Really enjoyed this album on the first listen a few days ago. Really in love with 'Suit & Tie' and 'Mirrors' to an extent of constant repeating on my iPhone. :wink: Standout tracks for me:

- Suit & Tie
- Mirrors
- Pusher Love Girl
- Tunnel Vision
- That Girl

Anyone planning to catch Justin with Jay-Z on the 'Legends of the Summer Tour'? Would love to go see them live.

I still need to listen to this every day in my car. Makes me happy.

We have tour dates for The 20/20 Experience World Tour! :hyper:

Justin Timberlake | The 20/20 Experience World Tour | Join the Tennessee Kids
October 31 - Montreal, QC - Bell Centre
November 13 - Raleigh, NC - PNC Arena
November 15 - Nashville, TN - Bridgestone Arena
November 16 Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena
November 18 - Memphis, TN - FedEx Forum
November 19 - St. Louis, MO - Scottrade Center
November 21 - Tulsa, OK - BOK Center
November 29 - Las Vegas, NV - MGM Grand Garden Arena
December 2 - Phoenix, AZ - US Airways Center
December 4 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center
December 5 - Houston, TX - Toyota Center
December 11 - Indianapolis, IN - Bankers Life Fieldhouse
December 12 - Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena
December 14 - Pittsburgh, PA - Consol Energy Center
December 15 - Louisville, KY - KFC Yum! Center
December 17 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena
December 19 - Orlando, FL - Amway Center
January 13 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
January 17 - Seattle, WA - Key Arena
January 22 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
February 7 - Fargo, ND - Fargodome
February 9 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center
February 10 - Omaha, NE - CenturyLink Center

Per his website, many more dates will be announced. Also, looks like the Legends of the Summer Tour with Jay-Z will serve as the warm-up gigs for JT's upcoming tour. Exciting stuff!

Okay part 2 is underwhelming but there's some good stuff here. I've made a new car compilation cd from both albums:

Suit & Tie
Strawberry Bubblegum
Spaceship Coupe
Tunnel Vision
Electric Lady
True Blood
Let the groove get in
Take back the night
Mirrors
Blue Ocean Floor

Fits onto 1hr 10min.

Anyone listened to part 2 yet? It's much weaker than part 1 but still decent.

Gimme What I Don't Know (I Want) is probably my favorite track of the 20/20 Experience (1 and 2). Reminds me of the first couple songs of FutureSex. Most other songs on part 2 are too cheesy.

Part 2 would be a lot better if Timbaland would just shut the hell up for a few minutes.

Now that I listened to both albums, I'll post a list of my favorite tracks.

Part 1
Suit & Tie
Tunnel Vision
Spaceship Coupe
That Girl
Mirrors

Part 2
True Blood
TKO
Take Back The Night
Drink You Away
Not A Bad Thing

Other than that, I seem to like Part 1 and Part 2 equally, they're both really good.

I read the Pitchfork review and decided I didn't wasn't in any hurry to hear part 2. Was that a mistake?

No, it's pretty bad. No finesse to be seen here, it's pretty much all witless sex jams. Long ones. Except for Drink You Away, which sounds like some generic country rock song you'd leave on for about 3 seconds before turning the station. I'm not sure how that one made even the second cut. I'm not sure how he got the idea to do a song like that in the first place.

I mean, if you adored part 1, maybe you could get something out of part 2. I thought part 1 was good but it didn't change my life or anything. I'd say the critics are right on and that this is definitely his worst solo album.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom