June 25, 2010 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why so negative???

I don't understand fan negativity surrounding U2 and Glasto. Trust me, this will mean a hell of a lot to the band members, it is a vindication of our and more importantly their belief in their relevence and musical legacy which the UK music press has tried hard to deny them.
As for any kind of en masse hostile reception from the punters, it's not gonna happen. Sadly i don't have tickets, nor am I likely to obtain any but hopefully the energy from the band and the inevitable connection with the crowd (who I know will be young none die hard U2 fans) will resonate enough through my hi def TV leaving me satisfied...............................:angry:fuck, that ain't gonna happen, I need to be there.:angry:

Was thinking today of a possible set list for them. I think they should definitely just stick with the greatest hits, the songs that are gonna chime with the majority and get everyone singing along. Therefore, as much as we hardcore fans love the special treats, I think if they were to play something like Your Blue Room, the atmosphere would be killed. Similarly I think songs like Unforgettable Fire that rely so heavily on the 360 visuals, should be dropped.

Obviously this set doesn't include any possible Songs of Ascent tunes that we might have by next June, or any surprises they might pull out during Leg 3.

Breathe
NLOTH
Mysterious Ways
Magnificent
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
ISHFWILF
Stuck in a moment (acoustic)
Angel of Harlem
Elevation
Until the End of the World
New Year's Day
Crazy Tonight (remix)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
MLK
Streets
One
Ultra Violet (or maybe Bullet the Blue Sky??)
WOWY
Moment of Surrender (possibly maybe just end on WOWY??)

What do people think? Pretty much based around a standard tour setlist but with a few NLOTH tracks swapped with old favourites.

If i could pick a set list for Glastobury it would be something like this

Where the streets (why not blow their minds instantly, it would be game over after 5 mins)
I will follow
Get on your boots
Magnificent
I still haven't found
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Electric Co.
Stay
No line on the horizon
One

Discotheque
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Crazy Tonight (remix)

Bad
With or without you
Party Girl
Out of control

When U2 hit the pyramid stage at Glastonbury, we can guarantee a few things. Firstly, nobody under the age of 30 will be there to see them. Nobody young trendy will want to be seen anywhere near them. U2 make music for dads to blast out of their cars while onlookers point and snigger. They’ll either be left performing to bemused security staff or farm animals that have been drafted in to make up the numbers.

So this person doesn't think U2 appeals to anyone under the age of 30, and Ian McCulloch doesn't think anyone over the age of 14 listens to U2.

:rolleyes:

Next.

Were there people saying the same thing about Springsteen when he was added to the lineup? Or had it been determined that it was hip and acceptable for under-30s to dig Bruce?

I would love, more than any U2 gig ever, to be able to pick their setlist for Glasto. They could seriously blow people's minds!

I don't know about you guys, but I found this part of an article about U2 in Glastonbury to be kinda interesting.

McGuinness was quick to dismiss any doubts the band had about doing the show at the festival, an event he considered to be an "English institution." He said the band -- who will play a mixture of material from their entire career -- are treating the show "like Wimbledon or the Cup Final."

I don't know, it just sounds as if it is something more to me, maybe.

You may think it's nothing, but ... just throwing it out there.

The one main issue that bothers me about this whole Gladstonbury announcement, is the very poor timing and the lack of considiration for UK and Irish U2 fans! :tsk:

Coz now there are many UK/Irish fans who, in good faith renewed their u2.com subscription early believing (in vain!) that U2 would eventually announce more gigs for the UK/Ireland 2010 and therefore didn't take part in any pre-sales for the other European shows, then only to find out, too late, that it's not going to happen and realizing they have pre-sale codes that they have no use for!?! :shrug:

The one main issue that bothers me about this whole Gladstonbury announcement, is the very poor timing and the lack of considiration for UK and Irish U2 fans! :tsk:

Coz now there are many UK/Irish fans who, in good faith renewed their u2.com subscription early believing (in vain!) that U2 would eventually announce more gigs for the UK/Ireland 2010 and therefore didn't take part in any pre-sales for the other European shows, then only to find out, too late, that it's not going to happen and realizing they have pre-sale codes that they have no use for!?! :shrug:

This is exactly the point i made on the other thread. Its all very well people saying Paris and Brussels are not that far:blahblah: But how much use are those paid for codes now. Why oh why can LN just not release all the dates, apart from 2nd nights, in one go. There was no rush to release dates for next August and Sept apart from boosting Q4 profits:angry:

Oh and its not me whos pissed as I am not that bothered about going to Glastonbury and have used my codes for shows in other countries anyhow. But i do feel sorry for people who were under the impression, when re subscribing, that new dates in 2010 would involve the UK

Welcome to the fan unfriendly world of the U2 money making machine. This is the very reason why I hated the 360 concept as it was all about maximising profit rather than enhancing the enjoyment of the show for the fans.

Welcome to the fan unfriendly world of the U2 money making machine. This is the very reason why I hated the 360 concept as it was all about maximising profit rather than enhancing the enjoyment of the show for the fans.

I sort of agree with this in principle. But I do believe that the 360 concept did give more fans a better view. As for maximising profit was it not minimising losses if you believe the statement that no profit was made until leg 2?

Given that for nearly every show the £30 - £90 tickets are snapped up almost immediately and the more expensive ones tend to fester until people 'panic buy' them. It would be interesting how sales would go if they offered a flat rate of say £70-£80 for anywhere in the stadium.I guess the shows would sell out a lot quicker. Perhaps someone would like to do the math on how this would affect the gross:shrug:

edit - and i've just realised this is in the Glasto thread. Sorry :lol

I sort of agree with this in principle. But I do believe that the 360 concept did give more fans a better view. As for maximising profit was it not minimising losses if you believe the statement that no profit was made until leg 2?

Given that for nearly every show the £30 - £90 tickets are snapped up almost immediately and the more expensive ones tend to fester until people 'panic buy' them. It would be interesting how sales would go if they offered a flat rate of say £70-£80 for anywhere in the stadium.I guess the shows would sell out a lot quicker. Perhaps someone would like to do the math on how this would affect the gross:shrug:

edit - and i've just realised this is in the Glasto thread. Sorry :lol
don't pay attention to some posters, it's not worth bashing your head against a brick wall.

I don't know about you guys, but I found this part of an article about U2 in Glastonbury to be kinda interesting.

I don't know, it just sounds as if it is something more to me, maybe.

You may think it's nothing, but ... just throwing it out there.

By "throughout their entire career", they mean throughout their entire career except for Boy, October, Zooropa, OS1, and Pop, presumably.

don't pay attention to some posters, it's not worth bashing your head against a brick wall.

But i do agree that the 'maximising profits' statement applies to the way the tour dates are coming out at the moment. Theres simply no need for it. I just dont think it applies to the show itself (I think that makes sense:huh:)

But i do agree that the 'maximising profits' statement applies to the way the tour dates are coming out at the moment. Theres simply no need for it. I just dont think it applies to the show itself (I think that makes sense:huh:)

without doubt. the way they're doing that is beyond pathetic. what happened to announcing a series of dates with space for a second night in each city if it sells out fast enough? fail.

but yeah, i totally get what you mean.

without doubt. the way they're doing that is beyond pathetic. what happened to announcing a series of dates with space for a second night in each city if it sells out fast enough? fail.

but yeah, i totally get what you mean.

Well I guess that LN is no charity:lol:

But I'm sure theres a happy medium somewhere

getting back to Glastonbury. I was thinking earlier, the only way that this set would get everyone, down to the last elitist nay-saying cunt, on their feet and kick their asses is to open with none other than Mofo.

getting back to Glastonbury. I was thinking earlier, the only way that this set would get everyone, down to the last elitist nay-saying cunt, on their feet and kick their asses is to open with none other than Mofo.

Watch them think "Right, Glasto, let's RAWK them from VENUS!" and try to open with Vertigo, Elevation etc. Even I would hurl a bottle at Bono if they do that.

In a way it's a bit like George Bush always being shielded from protesters. It will be interesting to see the reaction to the 00s material from this crowd. They slip a Zooropa or Pop song in there and get massive cheers, then go to Beautiful Day and get a huge booing - will totally, totally confuse them.

I wonder if in 2010 dates they will play entire NLOTH in sequence, like they tried for the Rose Bowl Youtube broadcast. Other than adding SOA songs, I guess more 90's songs would be the logical move for changing it up like Edge said.

And maybe they will play some UK dates in 2011...weren't there quiet rumours about 2011 a little while ago ?

And yet another rather negative article about U2 and glastonbury, and they havent had any new ideas since 1988 apparantely, also the second biggest selling album of the year is once again not good enough.
.......................................................................................................................

In Bono's head, it's just possible that the British festival-going public reacted to the news that U2 are to headline next year's Glastonbury by fashioning a series of vast stone carvings of Bono's head and positioning them along the White Cliffs of Dover.

In reality, music-lovers have mixed feelings about the prospect of the authors of Vertigo pitching up on the Pyramid Stage. Every report made the inevitable acknowledgement that the Irish quartet are the biggest group in the known universe, perhaps in other universes too.

Yet almost every media outlet also felt obliged to add a lick of cynicism to their coverage, an acknowledgement that while the band are liked they are disliked in equal measure.

Disliked, indeed, with impressive venom. At the 3,568-strong Facebook group, I Still Hate Bono and His F*****g Face, a campaign has begun to get as many festival-goers as possible to wear T-shirts emblazoned with the legend “Bono is a t**t”. “Hopefully,” explain the site administrators, “in this small way, we can stop Boneo [sic] from preaching his toss.”

Why the antipathy? It's not as if U2 are — shudder — a hip hop artist, like Jay-Z, the last Glastonbury headliner to attract such opprobrium; are they not rock giants with a canon of stirring songs and a populist choice for Glastonbury's 40th anniversary year?

And surely if Bono can win the ear of such friends of freedom as George W Bush, can persuade such upstanding organisations as the Labour and Conservative parties to beam his face into each of their conferences, can write a line of poetry such as “elvis the plastic, elvis the elastic with a spastic dance that might explain the energy of america”... well, winning over a bunch of field-hippies ought to be a doddle?

The anti-Bono Facebook group explain their resistance with a series of baroque outpourings involving obscure revenge fantasies and the phrase “halfwitted w**ksock”.

But even to take the balanced view — hard, if like me, you find yourself laughing a bit too loudly at some of those rantings — something about U2 and Glastonbury does not sit quite right. And not simply the prospect of standing in the mud, being lectured about poverty by a multi-millionaire tax exile in a silly hat.

The most successful Pyramid Stage headliners acknowledge the uniqueness of the slot, its special capacity for communal experience. It demands spectacle, for sure, but it takes humility, too, which is why more grounded stars such as Radiohead, Blur, Coldplay and, yes, Jay-Z (who pulled a superhuman effort to win over the rock crowd) have triumphed.

The intergalactic U2 bulldozer does not represent any of the force of subversion, rebellion or even common humanity Glastonbury still manages to encapsulate. Moreover, if Bono can pay a reported $3 million to rebuild a stadium in Montreal to meet his requirements, I fear for what he'll do to poor farmer Eavis's field.

The truth is U2 need Glastonbury more than it needs them; with low sales for their last album and no fresh ideas since 1988, this is really a last-ditch attempt to appear relevant.

The hope is Bono's demands will not extend to silencing all other stages and roping the stone circle off for his G20 friends — that way, attendees who stay unconverted can find a more fulfilling way to spend their Friday night. Such as taking elephant tranquilisers.

"The truth is U2 need Glastonbury more than it needs them; with low sales for their last album and no fresh ideas since 1988, this is really a last-ditch attempt to appear relevant."

I'm sorry... but... no fresh ideias since 1988? :scratch:
Am I missing something here?

"The truth is U2 need Glastonbury more than it needs them; with low sales for their last album and no fresh ideas since 1988, this is really a last-ditch attempt to appear relevant."

I'm sorry... but... no fresh ideias since 1988? :scratch:
Am I missing something here?

These articles are so poorly written its untrue, also, hasnt the organises of glastonbury been trying to get U2 for years now? so how can he say U2 need it more?

The truth is U2 need Glastonbury more than it needs them; with low sales for their last album and no fresh ideas since 1988, this is really a last-ditch attempt to appear relevant.

:lol: That's so funny. Obviously Rattle & Hum was fresh and original while Achtung Baby was just rehashing old ideas. :laugh:

At the 3,568-strong Facebook group, I Still Hate Bono and His F*****g Face, a campaign has begun to get as many festival-goers as possible to wear T-shirts emblazoned with the legend “Bono is a t**t”. “Hopefully,” explain the site administrators, “in this small way, we can stop Boneo [sic] from preaching his toss.”

I think I'd be upset if I wasn't so fucking angry about this plan. What a bunch of fucking losers, so hung up about some band they dislike, music is the universal language and there is something for everyone. Why would anyone spend so much time on something they dislike? If I dislike a band, I ignore them simple as that, I don't spend time on the internet concocting schemes to ruin everyone else's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom