June 24, 2011 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like the only acceptable thing you can say about U2 nowadays is that you loved their early stuff but haven't followed em for years. :doh:

for us modern day fans, u2 at glasto is make or break it.

we'll either look like wankers or geniuses. hit it out of the park and they're legends, play a spotty elevation style setlist and we go incognito.

Well festivals always brought the best out of U2. It was a like a challenge to people who didn't know them.Bono seemed to thrive on the confrontation of it!!!

How it'll be now after almost 30 years of no festivals god knows but Im hoping that same spark is there and we'll get a mindblowing show!!!!

Either way. This is a point depot, slane castle type of thing that yopu need to be there!!! Was at point depot, missed slane but no way in hell i'm missing this!!!!!

I don't think there's much U2 can do about their last decade. Whether or not you think it is good quality is of course subjective, but its certainly not exciting in a 'new' or interesting way that would attract new, younger listeners who are looking for exactly that, and getting it in spades elsewhere. That a lot of people of a certain age or demographic think the U2 of Beautiful Day/Elevation/Vertigo/Boots is far more along the Bon Jovi end of the scale rather than the, say, Arcade Fire end of the scale is totally understandable IMO.

I think the shame is that it's blocked out a lot of their back catalogue from fresh discovery. Most of the people who say they hate U2, call them the most over-rated band ever, say they're boring etc, would only know the 00s singles + U218. You know they're not saying that having heard, say, Achtung Baby end to end. And a lot of the U218 end of it is so drilled in now it would be hard to hear it with fresh ears. I mean, the opening three of Joshua Tree would just be 'classic rock' to so many.

I’ve become pretty good friends here with a guy here who is a lot younger than me - me 32, he 25 - big music buff, but a musical generation behind me. I'm a teenager of the 90s, he's a teenager of the 00s. We'd had a few nights basically doing nothing but drinking (a lot) and a lot of listening to and talking music, and it was on only maybe the third time that I dropped some U2 love into the conversation. I would say his reaction was more of being a bit stunned than anything else. "U2? The U2?" Definitely more confused than mocking or snarky. What on earth has U2 done of any interest, right? Why would someone who likes all this good stuff like U2? Played him a few songs I thought would be up his alley, and a lot of it really surprised him. Whether it was the Unforgettable Fire or Lemon or I Will Follow, he was genuinely really wide eyed about it all. I wouldn’t say he was converted into a fan, but there are about 10 U2 tracks he now loves, and more to the point, he had absolutely no idea that there was anything to U2 beyond fairly dry stadium rock. Simple songs like Ground Beneath Her Feet got a genuinely surprised “This is U2? Seriously?”

So to ever think these opinions will change, there's a lot of learning to be done, and if U2 can pull off something amazing here, that will be one hell of an introductory lesson for many. It will be an opportunity to hear the U218 end of their catalogue with fresh ears, and if they pick the rest of the set right, it might give people the impression that, actually, there might be a bit more to them than 80s mid-tempo classic stadium rock and 00s desperate rock jingles.

i hate articles like that, i couldnt even read the whole thing, and thats what its like being a U2 fan and an Evertonian

*going back to the security discussion here*

The festival I went to was Pinkpop, its a pretty decent festival here in Holland ,
which is actually a year older than Glasto.
But they are way to obsessed with security. They are he kind that indeed check for water bottles, do searches on 1 on 3 people, but the pit sweeping absolutely disgusted me! I mean , its always been a first in = best spot system,
untill this frigging year. I knew when they told me people where going to get mad and where going to for a huge clusterfuck at the gates for the pit.
So predictable. :angry: Anyway they did this system for 2 days and then suddenly realised after about 50 people being wounded, squashed of some even fainted by the pure crush everytime the gates opened, that it might not be such a good idea to use it for the last day.

Glad to hear Glasto isn't so fucking up tight. And the huge crowds are expected.
Like you said, I've seen a couple of the bigger festivals, so I know ho to take care of myself.

I feel the same about the making of breaking comment made by Coolian.:up:
This is going to be another proving ground. Hoping for a magical night.

definitely a make or break moment... (well in the eyes of the British public at least anyway)

i hope the lads knock em dead...

it's going to be a huge night... i'm a mixture of excited and petrified thinking about it lol - i'll be in front of my tv on tenterhooks, hoping they will be magic and astounding and seriously hoping to god no bottles of piss will be thrown :D :hug: :heart:

The cool kids like Thom Yorke camp on-site, but I somehow can't really picture Bono tumbling out of a hot tent at 8am, can of warm lager in one hand, can of baked beans in the other...

nah i bet he would love that! :D

besides I think Thom Yorke camps in Eavis' back garden :wink: I read years ago that he wanted to camp onsite but they came up with that compromise. plus you can just see him getting up in the morning to take a piss and be harassed by dozens of annoying fucking hipsters.

The tipi area between Park and Stone Circle is where the artists often are, and regular punters happy to drop £1K on accomodation are mixed in. There were great rumours/stories going around last year of three in the morning Yorke on guitar/Albarn on bongos type goings on around the fire in there.

God DAMN just look at that setlist on the big board to the left...just sitting there out of focus....!! :angry:

Some hints as to the next u2glastonburycountdown videos...

:nerd: :D

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

ps. Couldn't find anything else of interest in the page.

U2 > News > Countdown to Glastonbury

but yeah ENAJH2! Where did you get those pictures of the upcoming ones?
ps. the third picture looks like its from that video with clips of The Edge talking about Glastonbury over rehearsal footage in Winnipeg(?) but does anyone recognise that second one?

I viewed the page source code for www.u2glastonburycountdown.com in my browser....found the image links and increased the number by +1! :der: :wink:

<div id="bonus_carousel">
<div id="carousel_content" class="cf">
<div class="item" style="background:url(thumb.php?src=http://cdn.umg3.net/u2glastonburycountdown/_graphics/videos/1.jpg&w=39&h=39&zc=1) 0 0 no-repeat;" id="bonus7">
<a href="index.php?day=7" data-day="7">7</a>
</div>

FWIW, this is the current video link which delivers the FLV file for Vertigo in Chicago...
http://del.interoute.com/?id=9fbc1f39-6f79-4cf1-8e94-62fa1976cb97
so I don't think the others are available yet or at least the links have not been published.

I was actually looking to see if there are any references, placeholders, or such like, alluding to a much-hoped-for international live video stream

Glastonbury right now. Already a mudbath then on Twitpic

:uhoh: :wink:

I think we might be mud monsters by the end. I am so excited, I get my degree results tomorrow afternoon, then plan on getting absolutely shit-faced in time to get up at stupid o'clock to drive there early Wednesday am. I can't imagine putting a tent up, hungover in the rain will be much fun, but it'll be worth it!

right that's two brand new members who have used their first post to post that really stupid NME article written by someone who either a) wants to stir up a bit more 'GRRR U2 AT GLASTONBURY I HATE THEM :angry: ' or b) just didn't bother checking out anymore quotes on this whole staging thing.

what's going on? are people here to stir up a bit more shit or is it a journalist trying to pick up some quotes? it can happen...just not with U2 that much. :lol:

Using this scale

1-Sandals
2-Trainers
3-Boots
4-Wellies
5-Waders

I'm guessing a 3.5 to start with but with better weather due we may get to a 2.5 if we are lucky:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom