July 5, 2011 - Soldier Field - Chicago, IL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to cram as much siteseeing in on the 3rd and 4th as possible, so I won't.

You'll be around for the Navy Pier fireworks :)

Adler Planetarium, the Field Museum, and Shedd Aquarium are all basically right across the street from Soldier and would also be walkable from your hotel. I can really say I'd recommend any of them too enthusiastically (I like the aquarium though), but they're close.

I'm going to cram as much sightseeing in on the 3rd and 4th as possible, so I won't.

I stayed in Chicago for two days and I still couldn't get all of my sightseeing in.:crazy:

On day one, I visited Grant Park, Millennium Park, and Burnham Park (where Soldier Field is located). It was a sunny day, but too humid to do a lot of walking.

On day two, I visited the United Center, the Navy Pier, and the Magnificent Mile (no pun intended:wink:) before getting rained out on the Riverwalk along the Chicago River. I wanted to see the Sears Tower and the Second City Theatre, but they were too far away for me.

A word of advice- Use the CTA whenever possible.:yes: Chi-Town is not a walkable city.

And be sure to dine at Pizzeria Uno on the Near North Side. Their Chicago-style deep-dish pizza is :drool:.

I've been to Chciago a bunch of times, but just not in the last 12 years. I just need to see a few things.

:pray: for Lila too :)
My cousin lived in Chicago for a while, but I never visited him while he was there. The one time I went to Chicago was for a conference, and we stayed near the airport, and I didn't get to go anywhere. On the last day, I checked in my luggage early for my flight, and rode the El to Navy Pier, took a few pictures, then took the El back to the airport... that was my sightseeing... :D

I went to grad school there - hoping to make it back for the show (and maybe be joined for a min-reunion with some of my classmates). As far as touristy stuff gues I'd say that the Field Museum is slightly overrated (although "Sue" is pretty cool). Love the aquarium. My last year of school I lived directly across the street from Millenium park - it was the first year it'd opened. I love the Bean and that crazy tower/water/fountain thingy!

Laura,

I stayed at the Travelodge Hotel Downtown last year for Chicago. We were able to walk to and from the venue easily and it is close to the trains for getting to/from the airport,etc. There are 2 restaurants at the hotel and plenty more in walking distance. It's nothing fancy but it was clean, quiet and safe. I would stay there again if I go back.

June
:hmm: Good to know, thanks for the info. The hotel we stayed at was very nice and reasonably central, but still too far to walk to the stadium. We'll definitely check the Travelodge out. :up:

As for sightseeing, I'm reading up on everyone's suggestions, keep them coming. :wave: We barely had a chance to do any last year. Honestly, this time around I'd be more than happy just to wander around and experience the city. A patio or two would be fantastic.

A walk down Michigan Ave, from the Gold Coast to Grant Park will give you a great feel for the city, or you go the other way and end up in one of the great restaurants in the Gold Coast.

And if you spend more than 2 days in Chicago and don't go to the Art Institute, well...

Two Words: Water Taxi :) You can catch it on Michigan avenue - and take it to the madison stop - less than 2 blocks from "Sears" (Now Willis) Tower. Plus there are free trolleys from Navy Pier to Michigan avenue - and I'm pretty sure from the museum campus as well.

Laura made a nice point: anyone interesting in sharing hotel?

I'm traveling alone so it'd be nice to split, I'll be there July 3-6 if anyone is interested :wave:

Anybody know why my Ticketmaster tickets haven't rolled over/I haven't got an e-mail?

Should I be worried?

forgot to say I'm officially in for this one! I wanna celebrate the 4th with you guys:hyper:

and I now have a ticket. Laura does, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom