July 30, 2011 - Magnetic Hill, Moncton, New Brunswick, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really wish they didnt do that. Like, if anyone checked out U2s lyrics I am sure they are anti military and anti-war.

When Bono said, I can see those fighter planes, I dont think he was refering to training exercises.

Funny how planes buzzed both in Moncton and in Winnipeg prior to the shows opening. Military strong Canada ...pffffft..... Although in Winnipeg I believe they were the Snowbirds.

Funny how planes buzzed both in Moncton and in Winnipeg prior to the shows opening. Military strong Canada ...pffffft..... Although in Winnipeg I believe they were the Snowbirds.

Strangely enough, while we drove the TransCanadian Hwy, we came upon Gagetown and signs that read 'training area. DO NOT LEAVE HIGHWAY'. It was about 10-20 mile stretch and no exits. It was a wee bit scary. What are they training for? Should the Northern states be nervous?

Strangely enough, while we drove the TransCanadian Hwy, we came upon Gagetown and signs that read 'training area. DO NOT LEAVE HIGHWAY'. It was about 10-20 mile stretch and no exits. It was a wee bit scary. What are they training for? Should the Northern states be nervous?

Repercussion for all those igloo, back bacon, beer, hockey, mountie and cold jokes you people have been telling for the last 150 years or more.

It's the largest Canadian forces base in the country. Nothing to be afraid of, US and Canadian forces often train together.

I thought MoS looked particularly awesome with a big sea of people spread across the hill from behind. Looked quite different from just seeing the milky way of lights in a stadium.

Also I got a kick out of all the rumours of special guests who would be playing at the show.

Between texts and friends at the show, while I was on the floor I heard rumours of Bowie, BB King, Springsteen, Eric Clapton, and Neil Young.

Great review Mark. My Dad asked if it was better than Boston 2 in 2009 and I said you really couldn't compare them. They are two separate entities. I enjoyed this show so much. To have them play here, let alone end the tour here is so appreciated. They made a lot of peoples dreams come true. :heart:

So there's a ton of articles from the local papers. I'll list the links here

From the Saint John Telegraph Journal:

telegraphjournal.com - Social media takes N.B. show global | Natalie Stechyson - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
telegraphjournal.com - U2's tour-ending show Rocks fans' boots off - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
telegraphjournal.com - Bride-to-be helps U2 close tour in style | Natalie Stechyson - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
telegraphjournal.com - Bond star lets his Irish roots show at Moncton U2 concert | Marty Klinkenberg - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada

Fredericton Daily Gleaner:
dailygleaner.com - They're the coolest dudes | By ERIC LEWIS - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
dailygleaner.com - U2 concert rocks New Brunswick - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada

Moncton Times & Transcript:
timestranscript.com - The rain stops, and U2 shines | BY BRENT MAZEROLLE - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Post-U2 concert clean-up crew soldiers on | BY LAURA BROWN - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Fans say accessibility seating still needs work | By Alyssa Mosher - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - U2 concert even brought families together | BY LAURA BROWN - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Fans give U2 a warm welcome at airport - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Was the Moncton show U2's last hurrah? | By James Foster - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Moncton becomes concert central - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Fans enjoy concert weekend - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Look - up in the skies! - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - U2, Arcade Fire rock Moncton | By Eric Lewis - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - U2 fans 'rejoice' with Bono | By Eric Lewis - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Magnetic Hill venue, show ranked tops by fans | by jacques gallant Times & transcript staff - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - U2, opening acts transcend generations | by jacques gallant - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Heavy mud, huge crowd slowed U2 show exodus | By Jordan Parker and Craig Babstock - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - Rain wear dominates U2 'fashion scene' | by allison toogood - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - U2 was most challenging show ever: Fowler | by alan cochrane - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada
timestranscript.com - U2 wows Moncton audience - Breaking News, New Brunswick, Canada

I posted about my non-show woes in the other Moncton thread, and will just leave the good stuff here:

AMAZING. Despite the other crap, I am definitely glad I went. what a great show. I was as happy as could be when they started Out of Control. I think that's when I finally lost my voice. :lol:

I find it hard to be objective about which shows I saw were "the best," at least for another few months or so, after they've all settled. ;) This one, I think, was right up there. Even without OOC and 40.

Sorry I didn't get to meet more of you.

The bassist camedown to the pit afterand hung out.

I saw him, too. I'm not sure where he ended up in the pit - where were you, canedge? We were on the back rail, far Adam's side. Great spot. Loved it.

I thought MoS looked particularly awesome with a big sea of people spread across the hill from behind. Looked quite different from just seeing the milky way of lights in a stadium.

Yes! That was just stunning.

:lol:

I think I said something equally dorky to Win/Regine when I met them at that after party thing a few years ago. "Wow, great job! Really great!"

I am not good around rock and rollers.

Ok. Please don't link, post or copy without my permission.

I want to share with yous on the internets my experience in Moncton, New Brunswick on August long- weekend 2011. I left for my 26 hour train journey that was uninterrupted save a 20 min stopover in Montreal. The rail offers a unique experience of seeing the countryside without the stomach turning feeling of being on a Greyhound. After little sleep on Thursday night I awoke on Friday morning with a breath taking view of New Brunswick.

Forests’ and lakes intertwined as the countryside raced by. Small towns with similar yellow siding houses dotted the landscape. Upon arrival in Moncton, it was clear that we were still in Canada. The franchise boom has made many cities in Canada similar and it was not difficult to find a Sobeys, Tim Hortons or Wendys readily available. Still, independent gas stations and convenience stores were still be found in the largely French speaking city.

Once in Moncton and still with excitement to burn, I decided to head up to the concert site from the city centre. Bad idea. Buses were scarce and it became much more apparent that getting to the site was going to be a challenge. After prying locals for knowledge I headed up the site to get a number and say hi to any U2 mates. Seeing the claw from the road it became obvious it was really inland. That is, it was difficult to access. Apparently, Pope John Paul 2 had visited the site in 1984 to open its doors to future saints.

Upon return to the town of Moncton I met several young backpackers who were staying at the hostel (who were only there to see Arcade Fire) and several older u2 fans from as far away places as Germany. A brief walk around the city revealed helpful and friendly people who have been describe as 'colourful' by the national media. I saw no semblance of the East Coast once described as 'economically depressed' and suffering from a ‘culture of defeatism’. I saw a Moncton that willing to drive concert goers to and from the site and many business’ advertising in a seemingly thriving economy.

Awakening on Saturday morning it was this day was going to be challenging. Bono once sang "bone and blood was the price of coal" but I can also imagine that being a U2 fan also had its price and it was about to be paid. The bus service in Moncton, had devised a rather strange method for transporting the fleeting masses. You were required to purchase an advance bracelet that would shuttle you to a designated lot were you then could leave. This plan was to prevent hangers on who had in the past attached themselves to departing shuttles. The odd thing about this was that they sold out of these bracelets quite early and would not negotiate even if you had cash in hand. I did find it strange to watch half-empty shuttles leave parking lots to the site. It seems that economics is not a concern of the bus service of Moncton as presumably they are government funded.

This shuttle debacle made for connecting city buses in the rain. After taking one up, walking was required for a ticket delivery to a fellow fan. The two hurdles of taking city buses and battling the rain caused me to miss my ticket delivery as my UK friend had already entered the park upon my arrival. This led to frustration and the very real thought that a fan had traveled from the UK only to be stumped by local buses. Fortunately his ticket found a home to a poor soul who lost his ticket in the mud.

Carney, the opening band, proved their worth to the doubters. After seeing Reeve carneys emotive singing, I have no doubt as to why Bono and The Edge have so much faith in him. He even attempted Bohemian Rhapsody on guitar and pulled it off. The song is notorious difficult to play live and is usually only done in a joking manner with a bizzarro interpretation. Sadly, they did not play ‘Rise Above’ which would have been fitting of the moment.

Arcade Fire were next on the bill. No strangers to passionate, spirited musical performance, they lifted the crowd up in what seemed to be home turf to them. Their dynamic interplay made them fun to watch. Members shared vocals duties and changed instruments with ease and professionalism. Their track ‘Wake Up’ was especially exciting and surely won acclaim from the many International fans who champion them in the audience.

Finally U2 came on around 9 to their usual set list. From the get-go they seemed relaxed and ready for fun. Deliberately at ease and missing notes with alarmingly frequency, they seemed to be in victory lap mode. A message of prayer to injured crew driver and also giving the video screen over to their crew during one song, the band seemed be gracious to the many people who get them were they need to go.

Sadly, due to the 1AM express departure time to Nova Scotia, I decided to leave during the encore. As I left the field, the amount of people that stretched back even behind the bleachers was unfathomable. The further I walked out of the site I could still see the claw glowing in its majestic intensity. As I heard ‘Out of Control’ the structure truly looked like a spaceship that arrives offers and offers salvation if only for a few hours. As I walked further down Mountain road, the distinct bass line of ‘40’ was barely audible. I secretly think they play this at the end of each tour because there is the slightest chance that the tour finale may in fact be their own finale. However, it never is. Equally rewarding was Bono’s brief but powerful rendition of ‘Springhill Mining Disaster’. A song introduced to them by fellow Dubliner, Luke Kelly. As I passed through Nova Scotia later that morning in that very same town, I realized that it is possible to live on “songs and hope instead.”

"Great set, man." :nerd:

He ended up hanging out around my friends. I didn't really talk to him, just took a few pictures of him with friends. One of my female friends in particular got a lot of attention from him. I saw they were tweeting back and forth a little today too. I got a kick out of it all. (So he basically was on Adam's side in the pit)

What an amazing way to end this tour and my trip across the country for the final 4 shows. I'll need to catch up here after I get home... still one more travel day for me. But for now, one from this show. Sorry about the size, I resized it and it's still too big for my photobucket. Can't wait to read everyone's reviews and photos later. :wave:

bonomonctoncloseup.jpg

Back
Top Bottom