Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - Rumors & General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Potential extra shows:

May 15 Seattle
May 18 Santa Clara/San Francisco
May 27 Arlington/Dallas
May 29 Phoenix
May 31 Denver
June 12 Miami
June 16 Atlanta or June 17 Philadelphia
June 22 Toronto
June 26 Foxborough/Boston

These shows work in with a schedule that allows for up to two dates for the same city while leaving a full day of no show between shows in different cities.

The time/distance between the already scheduled dates in Pasadena 2nd show and Houston is instructive. Only two full days off between these cities with a distance of 1,600 miles to cover. That makes going from Seattle on May 15 to Santa Clara on May 17 doable. As well as several other distances between cities where there would only be one day off.

So such a schedule would fit in with their normal need for rest that they have done on past tours. The only issue might be moving equipment if they only have one stage, but I think from what I've seen it could be done. Don't know for sure though, just saying its possible.

For the European tour only see 3 extra shows possible, Berlin, Barcelona, and Dublin, that is if they plan for August 1 to be the last date of the tour.

Having lived in several of these areas, I can say no way to second Seattle show, or Dallas, or Miami.

Toronto I could see, Boston and SF i could see as possibilities.

They're not going to do a Seattle show on the 15th. It's on a Monday, and that should would end up being half full or so.

They won't add a 2nd Dallas show, that would detract people away from the Houston show, which they still have quite a few tickets available for.

I am kinda surprised they arent doing a 2nd Philly show on the 17th. Maybe they're waiting for the 2nd NJ show to sell out, then add Philly on the 17th as a last resort for the NY/NJ/PA people.

Or it could just be they like to have some rest days because they're older. U2's tours have always had mysterious gaps in the schedule that were speculated on that turned out to be nothing at all.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well, the Seattle show soldout fast enough to at least consider a second show. I'm surprised they even chose to play Seattle, but this is what happened. When the demand is there, this is what is often done. Sure, its Monday, but they're are playing Santa Clara on a Wednesday as well as Houston on a Wednesday.

A second Dallas show would be on Saturday the 27th, arguably the best night of the week for concert business. Dallas one soldout the day of the public on sale, several hours for a sellout.

The Houston show has less than 6,000 tickets left. I'd rather sellout another night of 50,000 people in Dallas than worry about whether Dallas 2 would impact 6,000 remaining tickets in Houston. Houston will fill those seats on its own without help from the Dallas community which is nearly 4 hours away. Plus Houston is a mid-week show.

I'm not saying any of this will happen, I'm just saying its possible do to the rapid sellouts and the current schedule.

As for none of this happening and this not being U2's normal touring schedule, we'll see what happens in the coming weeks and months. You might be in for a little surprise.

I don't think the demand in the PNW is there to do a second Seattle show, considering there's also a Vancouver show.

They did multiple Vertigo shows in both cities (and Portland), but that was arenas.

Having lived in several of these areas, I can say no way to second Seattle show, or Dallas, or Miami.

Toronto I could see, Boston and SF i could see as possibilities.

It would be unusual for sure. But the demand given the rapid sellouts means its possible. Bruce Springsteen did two stadium shows in Miami back in 1985 and I think the Jacksons did two shows in Miami back in 1984. The Rolling Stones did two Seattle stadium shows back in 1981. I would say out of the three you listed Dallas would be the most likely to get a second show as it would be on a Saturday night. U2 have not played Dallas in 8 years and the city metro area is even larger today than it was back then.

If these shows had filled up but not soldout, then I would say there would definitely be no second show. But selling out the first day suggest there is demand for a second show.

I don't think the demand in the PNW is there to do a second Seattle show, considering there's also a Vancouver show.

They did multiple Vertigo shows in both cities (and Portland), but that was arenas.

But consider that both shows soldout the day they were put on sale. There is certainly more demand out there, the question is if its enough for a second stadium show in Seattle. Given that Vancouver soldout the first day as well, there may be enough left over demand between Vancouver and Seattle for a second Seattle show.

Obviously, I have no idea. I would be VERY amazed if either city gets a second show.

Then again, I kept saying there was no way they were playing both Seattle and Vancouver, so ......

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Potential extra shows:

May 15 Seattle
May 18 Santa Clara/San Francisco
May 27 Arlington/Dallas
May 29 Phoenix
May 31 Denver
June 12 Miami
June 16 Atlanta or June 17 Philadelphia
June 22 Toronto
June 26 Foxborough/Boston

These shows work in with a schedule that allows for up to two dates for the same city while leaving a full day of no show between shows in different cities.

The time/distance between the already scheduled dates in Pasadena 2nd show and Houston is instructive. Only two full days off between these cities with a distance of 1,600 miles to cover. That makes going from Seattle on May 15 to Santa Clara on May 17 doable. As well as several other distances between cities where there would only be one day off.

So such a schedule would fit in with their normal need for rest that they have done on past tours. The only issue might be moving equipment if they only have one stage, but I think from what I've seen it could be done. Don't know for sure though, just saying its possible.

For the European tour only see 3 extra shows possible, Berlin, Barcelona, and Dublin, that is if they plan for August 1 to be the last date of the tour.

they're not going to do 3 pacific northwest stadium shows. Vancouver's a 3 hour drive away. a third florida show is very questionable, especially on a monday night, and as i already said... your atlanta date is literally impossible, as there is no stadium that will be open and/or available on that date.

the other dates? yea, sure... possible. i'd say the adding of another city or two in that week gap is much more likely than adding a monday night show in foxboro, which is an absolute nightmare to get to on a weekend let alone on a work day... but sure, whatever. not impossible, and i believe it was a monday night on the 2nd 360 show (and had some of the worst reviews of the tour btw)

is it common for there to be a gap between the initial on-sale date and a second show added? Sure, they sold out right away, but all the other second shows were added almost immediately afterwards. My gut says if a second show hasn't been added already, it's not going to happen.

My gut, however, also tells me I should polish off my giant bag of Swedish Fish right this second, so it's not necessarily a trusted source.

, and i believe it was a monday night on the 2nd 360 show (and had some of the worst reviews of the tour btw)

Yes they did Sunday and Monday at Gillette on 360.
2nd show did have the distinction of being the only show that opened with Magnificent.

I think if they were going to add 2nd nights in Foxboro or Toronto (the only others I expected outside of the 3 they added), it would have happened when they added those 3.

they're not going to do 3 pacific northwest stadium shows. Vancouver's a 3 hour drive away. a third florida show is very questionable, especially on a monday night, and as i already said... your atlanta date is literally impossible, as there is no stadium that will be open and/or available on that date.

the other dates? yea, sure... possible. i'd say the adding of another city or two in that week gap is much more likely than adding a monday night show in foxboro, which is an absolute nightmare to get to on a weekend let alone on a work day... but sure, whatever. not impossible, and i believe it was a monday night on the 2nd 360 show (and had some of the worst reviews of the tour btw)

I'm trying to think but I think there might actually be a stadium sized venue somewhere in the Atlanta area that is not used for Football or Baseball. I can't think of what it is at this second.

Vancouver and Seattle have always been linked in a small way for concerts. They sold thousands of bus/concert tickets in Seattle for the Joshua Tree Vancouver show back in 1987. I did not think they would even play Seattle on this tour, let alone that they would sellout the show on the first day as well as sellout Vancouver. Tells you that the normal rules do apply here. There is left over demand in this market, the question is if its enough to fill up one more show.

I think perhaps there is a lower chance for a third Florida show given that Tampa still has thousands of tickets left plus the fact that Miami 2 would be on a Monday. Ironically Seattle 2 might be more possible than Miami 2.

is it common for there to be a gap between the initial on-sale date and a second show added? Sure, they sold out right away, but all the other second shows were added almost immediately afterwards. My gut says if a second show hasn't been added already, it's not going to happen.

My gut, however, also tells me I should polish off my giant bag of Swedish Fish right this second, so it's not necessarily a trusted source.

right... if they were going to add shows to existing locations, they'd probably have added them by now.

everyone assumed there would be a second NJ show on the second leg of 360... it never happened.

the wording in the Europe email about the added dates specifically said that these dates "completed" the European leg, whereas the NA email didn't have such definitive language... so it's entirely possible that there might be another date or two added, but i'd think it's more likely that they add a city into that week off in late May rather than add to an existing location, which likely would have gone on sale already.

plus... if they're planning on coming back in the fall or next year for SOE, do they really want to play 3 stadium gigs in Florida or the Pacific Northwest? I'd doubt it.

I'm trying to think but I think there might actually be a stadium sized venue somewhere in the Atlanta area that is not used for Football or Baseball. I can't think of what it is at this second.

Vancouver and Seattle have always been linked in a small way for concerts. They sold thousands of bus/concert tickets in Seattle for the Joshua Tree Vancouver show back in 1987. I did not think they would even play Seattle on this tour, let alone that they would sellout the show on the first day as well as sellout Vancouver. Tells you that the normal rules do apply here. There is left over demand in this market, the question is if its enough to fill up one more show.

I think perhaps there is a lower chance for a third Florida show given that Tampa still has thousands of tickets left plus the fact that Miami 2 would be on a Monday. Ironically Seattle 2 might be more possible than Miami 2.

there's a smaller stadium on Georgia Tech's campus, but why would they play a location where the only stadium they have available is 30k smaller than every other venue, especially when they're cutting off a third of the stadium as it is? it makes zero sense.

serious question though... why on earth are you using examples from the early 80s as a means to prove that U2 are adding more gigs in 2017?

plus... if they're planning on coming back in the fall or next year for SOE, do they really want to play 3 stadium gigs in Florida or the Pacific Northwest? I'd doubt it.

Well, on that note I would not be doing this tour at all then. I don't think their worried because the resumption of the innocence and experience tour will take place in the smaller arenas with a new album of songs.

there's a smaller stadium on Georgia Tech's campus, but why would they play a location where the only stadium they have available is 30k smaller than every other venue, especially when they're cutting off a third of the stadium as it is? it makes zero sense.

serious question though... why on earth are you using examples from the early 80s as a means to prove that U2 are adding more gigs in 2017?

Because this is an 80s Nostalgia show and the cities in question have more people than they did back then. Plus those are the only examples I could think of with artist playing multiple stadium dates in those cities. It doesn't prove anything, it just means there is a possibility.

Because this is an 80s Nostalgia show and the cities in question have more people than they did back then. Plus those are the only examples I could think of with artist playing multiple stadium dates in those cities. It doesn't prove anything, it just means there is a possibility.

tickets were also $15.

No way a second Dallas show sells out. Houston will eventually, it's just a shitty day. If Austin had a real stadium it would have sold out.

I'm speaking as a Texan.

Even in their height was TX a market they could do multiple stadium gigs?

No way a second Dallas show sells out. Houston will eventually, it's just a shitty day. If Austin had a real stadium it would have sold out.

I'm speaking as a Texan.

Even in their height was TX a market they could do multiple stadium gigs?

I just looked it up, because I'm a nerd for things like that. They have never been in a position to sell out multiple stadiums in the same city in Texas.

Zoo TV: It should be noted that Houston and Dallas (as well as Austin) had arena gigs earlier in the year.
Houston, Astrodome- 31,884
Dallas, Texas Stadium- 39,154
El Paso, Sun Bowl- 35,564

Popmart:
Dallas, Cotton Bowl- 38,043 (this is actually a lot better than I thought it'd be)
San Antonio, Alamodome- 26,022
Houston, Astrodome- 22,981

360:
Dallas, AT&T Stadium- 70,766
Houston, Reliant Stadium- 58,328

Last edited:
I just looked it up, because I'm a nerd for things like that. They have never been in a position to sell out multiple stadiums in the same city in Texas.

Zoo TV: It should be noted that Houston and Dallas (as well as Austin) had arena gigs earlier in the year.

Popmart:
Dallas, Cotton Bowl- 38,043 (this is actually a lot better than I thought it'd be)

360:

Thanks! That Houston ZooTV show was my first concert ever.

I went to all those Pop shows.

I completely forgot they played ElPaso :lol:

Popmart:

360:

Well, the factors involved here have more to do with just when U2 were at their alleged "height". Clearly U2's best performance in Texas was not during Joshua Tree or ZOO TV, but on 360. Part of that was because Dallas and Houston were smaller markets back then than they are today.

But more to the point take the demand from 360 VS. the demand for a retro Joshua Tree Tour 2017, in the Dallas area. Also remember that the Joshua Tree show does not have to sell seats behind the stage. I'm saying its very likely U2 could sellout two Dallas shows at 50,000 capacity each, given that the first show soldout in hours and they played to 71,000 people on 360 for just one show. Then throw in the fact that the second show would be on a Saturday night. I think the demand to see this retro Joshua Tree Tour is at least as high as 360 if not higher. If you can do one show at 71,000 for 360, why not two shows at 50,000 each for a retro Joshua Tree show? If 360 had played a second night in Dallas, you would have still been able to get 30,000 to show just based on the demand for the first show.

Having more than one night in the same stadium in Texas would be unusual, but I think in this circumstance the demand and opportunity are there. When you sellout the first day tickets are put on sale, it automatically creates the possibility for a second show. We'll see if it happens in this case.

it's not an 80's nostalgia show.

this is an 80's nostalgia show...

812578562194032.jpg

this is a band playing an album in full, and then playing songs from their entire catalog just like they would at any other concert.

when bono comes out in a mullet and edge is wearing pastels and a cowboy hat, talk to me about an 80's nostalgia show.

haha oh jesus..

I had to stop following Men Without Hats (shut up) on facebook because of all the 80s nostalgia show/tours posters I was seeing. Sounds like a night of hell. That and Ivan Doroschuk was sharing half a dozen terrible MWH memes like an embarrassing Dad literally every single day.

But yeah, on the surface those 80s nostalgia trips where all these bands tour together and play to (generalising a bit) old people in lycra and leg warmers sounds depressing but hey it's all just a bit of fun.

On the other end of the scale though, if they start bringing out younger special guests to join them on some JT songs, they can take a hike. :wink:

Heard a few rumours about them possibly playing in the currently being refurbished Pairc ui Chaoimh in Cork? Anyone here more of this? It is currently being redeveloped into a new 45,000 seat capacity stadium and expected to open in summer 2017. U2 played here on 8th August 1987 I believe as the last date on the European leg of the Joshua Tree Tour, and that date is supposedly available this year too? Maybe they have to wait to announce this due to the stadium passing certain tests prior to opening??

Hey guys, sorry for all the back and forth. This is the latest news I got today. Looks like 2 shows for both Toronto and Boston and not a second show for Philly. Dublin 2 to be announced in the next couple of weeks. NO FURTHER EUROPEAN SHOWS WILL BE ADDED TO TOUR. Again this is not official so don't go booking any non-refundable hotel rooms just yet :hyper:

North America

Friday May 12th – Vancouver, BC – BC Place Stadium
Sunday May 14th – Seattle, WA – CenturyLink Field
Wednesday May 17th – San Francisco, CA – Levi’s Stadium
Saturday May 20th – Los Angeles, CA – Rose Bowl
Sunday May 21st – Los Angeles, CA – Rose Bowl
Wednesday May 24th – Houston, TX – NRG Stadium
Friday May 26th – Dallas, TX – AT&T Stadium
Sunday May 28th – Las Vegas, NV – Sam Boyd Stadium
Tuesday May 31st Phoenix, AZ – University of Phoenix Stadium
Saturday June 3rd – Chicago, IL – Soldier Field
Sunday June 4th – Chicago, IL – Soldier Field
Wednesday June 7th – Pittsburgh, PA – Heinz Field
Friday June 9th – Manchester, TN – Bonnaroo Festival
Sunday June 11th – Miami, FL – Hard Rock Stadium
Wednesday June 14th – Tampa, FL – Raymond James Stadium
Friday June 16th – Raleigh, NC – Carter Finley Stadium
Sunday June 18th – Philadelphia, PA – Lincoln Financial Field
Tuesday June 20th – Washington DC – FedEx Field
Thursday June 22nd – Toronto, ON – Rogers Centre
Friday June 23rd – Toronto, ON – Rogers Centre
Sunday June 25th – Boston, MA – Gillette Stadium
Monday June 26th – Boston, MA – Gillette Stadium
Wednesday June 28th – East Rutherford, NJ – MetLife Stadium
Thursday June 29th – East Rutherford, NJ – MetLife Stadium
Saturday July 1st – Cleveland, OH – FirstEnergy Stadium

Europe

Saturday July 8th – London, UK – Twickenham Stadium
Sunday July 9th – London, UK – Twickenham Stadium
Wednesday July 12th Berlin, DE – Olympic Stadium
Saturday July 15th – Rome, IT – Olympic Stadium
Sunday July 16th – Rome, IT – Olympic Stadium
Tuesday July 18th – Barcelona, ES – Olympic Stadium
Friday July 21st Dublin, IE – Croke Park
Saturday July 22nd – Dublin, IE – Croke Park
Tuesday July 25th – Paris, FR – Stade de France
Wednesday July 26th – Paris, FR – Stade de France
Saturday July 29th – Amsterdam, NL – Amsterdam Arena
Sunday July 30th – Amsterdam, NL – Amsterdam Arena
Tuesday August 1st – Brussels, BE – Stade Roi-Baudouin

Hey guys, sorry for all the back and forth. This is the latest news I got today. Looks like 2 shows for both Toronto and Boston and not a second show for Philly. Dublin 2 to be announced in the next couple of weeks. NO FURTHER EUROPEAN SHOWS WILL BE ADDED TO TOUR. Again this is not official so don't go booking any non-refundable hotel rooms just yet :hyper:

North America

Europe

No.

North America

Europe

Are these the Volcano tour dates? Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom