It's GA "line" shenanigan time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is you can't tell people to arrive at 8am, & organize themselves into an orderly line. There will be tonnes of people there, & it'll be chaos. So I think you need an early morning lottery, to get everyone organized, or use the unofficial line. My preference would be a lottery. I don't mind the unofficial line that much, it's better than chaos. But to make it fair I think the start time needs to be communicated on social media (Twitter & multiple forums) before the line starts, not after all their friends are on the list. Some of these people who run the lines aren't too nice, & feel self important. But others are very nice & put quite a bit of work into it. Just look at GA Joe who runs the line on occasions. A great guy, who has helped many, many noob GA'ers with his website.

Totally agree that the rose bowl's communication sucked. No email until the night before the show, & that email contradicted what actually happened the next day.

bingo.

springsteen in the states did something along these lines...

wristbands will be handed out between 8 am and 12 pm, day of show. anyone who wants to be in the front MUST show up, with all guests and their tickets, at some point during this time frame. your wristband will be numbered. at 4 pm everyone with a wristband must line up outside the GA gate in number order. by 5 pm a random number is drawn (by a fan in line), and that number is now the front of the line. The line begins at that number and snakes around. until everyone with a wristband is in.

anyone who shows up after 12 pm can feel free to wait in line on the side of the arena, and they will be the first to enter after those with wristbands have gone in.

no more hidden lists
no more overnight camping
no more check ins for 3 day
no more of people who are on the list not even being in the city
no more "i'm saving my spot for my 3 friends who have to go to work till 3"
no more fucked up endurance competition

The Springsteen system in the US works great; not sure why that couldn't be adopted for U2 (or for Bruce in Europe for that matter)

GA Joe is the reason, along with Interference, i knew what to do for my first GA in 2009, so thanks for that!

I remember a few years back after I saw Springsteen for the first time, I checked out his fan forum site to see what was going on there. What did I see? People complaining about the GA procedure, and wishing Bruce would do it the U2 way.

:lol:

The grass is always greener in the other GA line, I guess.

I was on backstreets for a while and there definitely wasn't nearly the volume of GA bitching there. Not sure if there was something unique about your situation or what.

Yeah, I was browsing the site like a grand total of 5 times over the course of a few months. Was just there at the right time, I guess. It was in 2008, must have been?

Anyway, that stuck with me and I thought it was hilarious.

I remember reading that thread before I attended my first show of his. And since you got my curiosity going now...

GA Question - The Circuit - Bruce Springsteen - Greasy Lake Community

- I actually prefer the roll call system over any other. You earn your spot up front and, frankly, it creates a sense of community that I value. The U2 system would not work for Bruce because the fans are a bit more passionate. I found the roll call system to work well. That said, I don't think it would work in the States. Different audience, different cultures, different approach to privacy and security. Not happy I'm crossing the ocean and may wind up in the back of the arena floor for $170. Doubt that will happen, provided I get there early enough for a wrist band. I just hope that if the tour extends to Europe the roll call returns.

- I have won and lost with the current system, was 5-6th person in at an LA show. It's better than some bands offer, not as good as others. Some of the "same faces" are still in the pit night after night, there are always ones who cheat the system, but overall this has been much more fair.

- Personally, I'm bummed to learn of this system. I am a bit of a 'front row' junkie, and have been front row many times for U2 (and other artists) in cities like Dublin, New York and Miami. This because we simply have been there before others. Was looking forward to being front row for Bruce and the gang, but now it seems unlikely based on simple math.

- I don't think it would be fair if only people who wait in line for two days can get front row. I think it's a pretty exclusive club who get access to so many easily-used vacation days.

- This is why I like the US way, I have used the Euro way, but hate the idea that to get to the front, you need to be able to give up days on end to get to the front. For some fans this is next to impossible for many reasons. The fairest way I see, is pit tickets are sold - but the purchaser name is on the ticket and ID must be provided at the gate and the GA band is put on immediately. From memory the Rising tour had the show and date in each band to stop fraud. Then the US system is used to determine in what order you enter the pit. To be honest, it's ridiculous that this is a fan ran thing, with gigs at most every 3 days now, there is no reason why the org can't support.

The Springsteen system in the US works great; not sure why that couldn't be adopted for U2 (or for Bruce in Europe for that matter)

The main difference is that Bruce is playing arenas in the US, but stadiums in Europe. So it's a difference between likely a few hundred people with wristbands versus 1000+ or so.

The problem is you can't tell people to arrive at 8am, & organize themselves into an orderly line. There will be tonnes of people there, & it'll be chaos. So I think you need an early morning lottery, to get everyone organized, or use the unofficial line. My preference would be a lottery. I don't mind the unofficial line that much, it's better than chaos. But to make it fair I think the start time needs to be communicated on social media (Twitter & multiple forums) before the line starts, not after all their friends are on the list.

The issue here is that you cannot communicate beforehand that a line is going to start at a certain time. Because there'll always be some who will then start a line before that time, just to be #1.
This is partly a reason for what happened in Vancouver (where the line started on Tuesday afternoon). Someone had announced on Twitter that he'd start the line on Wednesday morning 5:00. This had the venue security puzzled as they had been in talks with the people who ended up running the line (security explaining their procedures, etc. and the fans explaining fan behaviour and how the line would be run to minimize hassle for the venue). By then several of the hardcore fans had already shown up, asking what's going on, will the line be started that they felt they didn't have a choice but to start the line. Of course they're still crazy for starting a line this far in advance.

The main difference is that Bruce is playing arenas in the US, but stadiums in Europe. So it's a difference between likely a few hundred people with wristbands versus 1000+ or so.

They used the same wristband and lottery system for the stadium shows;
In Philly 2012 there were nearly 2000 wristbands given out,
and worth noting for most Bruce arena shows they give out around 1200 wristbands

It doesn't work great. Im sick of never being front row at a Springsteen show. 0/4 in front row attempts.

man, that is one entitled whiny post.

I guess next time Bruce tours you should head over to Europe and line up for 3 days then you'll get what you want....

I'd be fine if it were a true line. My issue is they start lists days in advance, just to ensure they and their friends end up at the top. My point is those lines wouldn't form so early if everyone in them were required to stay there.

Could not have put that better myself. :up: When I've done time in lines, I've truly stayed in line apart from bathroom breaks and getting food etc. This is how it works in most of Europe too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom