Is Ultraviolet permanantly gone??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
Yeah, I agree with that.

Mind you, when I'm AT the show, I don't give a damn. But you know, some rotation in that slot would rule. Especially if it meant I'd get to hear OOC in Minneapolis. :wink:

Agreed. At the show (especially since it's my first U2 show) I'll forget whatever's outside of that stadium and enjoy it to the fullest, even in the nosebleeds. :wink:

Why don't they drop WOWY and play both UV and HMTMKMKM? WOWY's been done a million times. Although I agree, when it's good, it's phenomenal, but lately it's been just kinda meh. The only part I still like is the "oh-oh-oh-oh" chorus from the crowd.

And please, less smoke for HMTMKMKM. I could barely see Larry or Edge or Adam since there's no spotlight on them and the smoke could get overwhelming...

The Fly instead of that horrid Magnificent remix.
Don't drop another NLOTH song, just bring back the original Magnificent. The Fly can be an extra song (surprise at the end). :D

2nd Encore at Anaheim II will be as follows:

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
With Or Without You/Ultraviolet (Light My Way) (snippet)
Moment of Surrender
The Fly/In A Little While (snippet)

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

And please, less smoke for HMTMKMKM. I could barely see Larry or Edge or Adam since there's no spotlight on them and the smoke could get overwhelming...

I agree! It looks great in photos, but couldn't they just do it during a part of the song, and not the WHOLE thing??

Why don't they drop WOWY and play both UV and HMTMKMKM? WOWY's been done a million times. Although I agree, when it's good, it's phenomenal, but lately it's been just kinda meh. The only part I still like is the "oh-oh-oh-oh" chorus from the crowd.

Since 1987 has WOWY ever been dropped(ie: never on the setlist) at a show that didn't have curfew or voice issues?

You can't have the Fly in the HMTMKMKM spot - Bono is playing guitar on it.

There is NO SONG that HAS to have Bono playing guitar on it. Not even One. It's all for show, but his actual playing adds very little to the songs he does play on. I guarantee that if Bono didn't play guitar during "One", nobody would notice a difference in sounds. He just does it for the visual, and so that it can be a "stand still" moment in the show.

Since 1987 has WOWY ever been dropped(ie: never on the setlist) at a show that didn't have curfew or voice issues?

There were several shows on the Vertigo tour that didn't have WOWY. I was at one of them... I like the song and all, but I didn't miss it.

There is NO SONG that HAS to have Bono playing guitar on it. Not even One. It's all for show, but his actual playing adds very little to the songs he does play on. I guarantee that if Bono didn't play guitar during "One", nobody would notice a difference in sounds. He just does it for the visual, and so that it can be a "stand still" moment in the show.

:lol:

You greatly underestimate how much Bono actually plays. If he stopped, it'd be very noticable. Especially on One now he's been playing a small solo and his guitar is tuned louder. And on Bad. Check the IEM from Brussels 23/9/10 if you want proof. He plays a LOT.

He also played a considerable guitar riff on the vertigo version of The Fly.

It doesn't really matter. If they're playing the Vertigo version of the Fly (and it's pretty clear that's what they're rehearsing) then he's got a guitar. So whether you believe that's more for show or for real (and I know what you're saying, but on the Fly he is most definitely contributing a lot) he's still got the thing there and using both hands on it and not able to mess around with (or even hold steady) that wheel mic. If they did the Elevation version, that would be different. But... Vertigo>>>Elevation, and I think The Fly deserves a more nutty Claw-show of its own anyway.

The show that comes to mind immediately to me is November 18, 1989 Sydney Australia. One of U2's best shows ever. No WOWY or Streets, but it was a fantastic performance and a great setlist IMO.

Please bring back UV for Miami, we missed it last year when the show was postponed!

How often have u2 used sequencers or someone in the underworld to do a guitar part?

I think it's been used on GONE when the high riff and rhythm part are going on at the same time.

There were several shows on the Vertigo tour that didn't have WOWY. I was at one of them... I like the song and all, but I didn't miss it.
Yup, although it seems to be played at least once in every leg of the tour, but it was dropped from some shows. I remember some Elevation and Vertigo shows without WOWY. And I really prefer to get UV than WOWY. Or The Fly. Or NLOTH!

After seeing both - UV here in Chicago, and Norman, and then HMTM etc in Athens, I will say I MUCH prefer UV, and would rather see that than HMTM.

:lol:

You greatly underestimate how much Bono actually plays. If he stopped, it'd be very noticable. Especially on One now he's been playing a small solo and his guitar is tuned louder. And on Bad. Check the IEM from Brussels 23/9/10 if you want proof. He plays a LOT.

He also played a considerable guitar riff on the vertigo version of The Fly.

Elevation Walk On versus 360 Walk On is a good example. Without the 2nd guitar, the 360 version sounds much weaker.

Yup, although it seems to be played at least once in every leg of the tour, but it was dropped from some shows. I remember some Elevation and Vertigo shows without WOWY. And I really prefer to get UV than WOWY. Or The Fly. Or NLOTH!

:up::up:

Yeah, I really want UV back, too! For a while, it looked like they were really into playing WOWY well again(the 2010 Europe and Oceania performances were awesome), but now it looks like they've tired of it. If that's the case, let it take a rest like Still Haven't Found!

WOWY missed the entire 3rd leg of Elevation and the entire 1st leg of Vertigo.

It's a great song, but it's certainly a myth that it's indispensable to a U2 show. They've done without it plenty.

The show that comes to mind immediately to me is November 18, 1989 Sydney Australia. One of U2's best shows ever. No WOWY or Streets, but it was a fantastic performance and a great setlist IMO.

Agreed. A fantastic show that everybody should hear. Hawkmoon 269 as the opener, extended version of Desire with the guitar solo, great version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door, some of the best versions of New Year's Day I've heard (featuring some album lyrics that Bono almost never sings) and so on. This show released in full on the DVD would be a dream come true.

It was played 3 times on the former and 4 times on the latter.

But it's not like it was cut due to voice problems or curfews during this period, eh?

How not? The crowd response for HMTMKMKM is noticeably greater than that for UV. In terms of working as the second encore opener, it's self-evidently doing the job better. And it works much better with the taped intro than UV did with any of its intros, which seemed to have precious little to do with the song.

Wow, I don't agree with that at all. Ultraviolet just works better with the laser jacket/steering wheel mic in my opinion. And the way it builds to the disco light party at the end is all kinds of awesumness. And the intro - you think HMTMKMKM has anything to do with that ridiculous cartoon spaceship intro? I got chills when they used to do the computer voiced Auden poem right into Bono's opening verse of UV. I wish that had made it to the Rose Bowl DVD becausse it never got any better than that.

Was fortunate enough to see that 3 times in 2009. Just went to the SF show and avoided all spoilers prior to it. Was happy to see HMTMKMKM for the first time, but disappointed coming here to find out it seems to be the new de facto standard replacement every night for UV. Still holding out hope that we'll get UV at Baltimore or Philly which will be my last concerts.

I would say the only shots of getting Ultraviolet would be Anaheim and Montreal (Maybe Glastonbury, but I doubt it) for the rest of the tour.

I've seen and love both, but I adore UV. I'm hoping to get it for Montreal 2.:up:

I simply love UV, although I admit I wasn't as big on this version as I was for the one circa ZOOTV. I really wish any version of it was still in the setlist. It's an unfortunate loss and worked well in it's position.

Not sure if this is worth spoiler-tagging, buuuuuuut...
They just soundchecked it in Anaheim. Makes sense, since they're playing two shows there. :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom