is this a U2 bashing forum or a fan club?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thrillme said:
*Wonders if Bono was referencing Interference*

He said check the internet, U2 fan sites, "they're brutal."

However that's just one fans' opinion. To say U2 is nauseatingly commercial, maybe to that fan they are.

In my opinion, I think U2 has never been truly commercial, large following, yes, but a commercial band would not put a song like "Grace" on an album. Their catalog of songs is not like most rock bands, they defy what it is to be a rock band, certainly for their longevity.

"Yahweh" is the last song on Atomic Bomb. What other rock band, hip hop act, pop star, would do that? Certainly not if their reason was to increase sales.

All that you can't leave behind, is ATYCLB among most of us.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is HTDAAB among many of us.

That's not very commercial. You want quick, to the point titles, nothing that makes you think.

I draw the line at HTDAAB, I abbreviate it to "Atomic Bomb."

Granted, maybe for U2, the songs might seem easy to digest, but ask the non-U2 fans what they think of Atomic Bomb, or "All that", do they like it, or is it too unusual to what most of what is popular in music right now.

U2 fans are biased, most know their back catalog, and maybe they're not up to past standards, whatever that is to each fan, but among what is going on in music, they're not making easy listening.

I listen to the radio at work, especially to a station that plays a lot of adult contemporary, whatever you call Kelly Clarkson, Green Day, some of U2's 80's contemporaries, like Duran Duran, newer acts like John Mayer, somewhat varied, and U2.

"Sometimes you can't make it on your own", feels really out of place when it comes on. "When I look at the World", sounds out of place right now.

U2 compose what they want, how they want, and when they want, just as they always have.

If Bono wants to really be commercial, really push albums, increase sales, he should probably stop singing about God in his lyrics. When U2 do an album with none of that, nor nothing political, then it's safe and commercial, cos there's nothing really unsafe about writing love songs. A department which U2 really lacks in, but that's fine.

You sing about how lame, stupid Bush is, okay, that's daring to maybe conservative republicans, but it's not exactly going against the grain is it?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to listen to top 40 radio for a 3 hours, then play All that and Atomic Bomb. Then report back and tell me how safe and trendy those albums are alright. How commercial they are.

You must not listen to any other U2 albums, just top 40 radio for 3 hours, if a U2 song comes on, turn down the volume. :mac:

That is quite a brilliant post.

I do think U2 is trying to appeal to the mainstream now more than ever before, especially with songs like Vertigo clearly aimed at all the "punk kids"... but it's true that if you compare most of U2's stuff on their last two albums to what's on the radio now you'll find a huge difference, even with the singles. All Because of You, for example... very typical rock song, nothing too exceptional there, yet can you name five songs on the radio now that sound a lot like it? Hell, can you even name one? How about City of Blinding Lights? I can name one song that sounds like it - Speed of Sound by Coldplay. Gee, where ever did Chris Martin get the idea for that one - couldn't have been U2, could it?

The only things that sound similiar at all to U2 on the radio are the bands obviously influenced by U2 in the first place.

I do disagree with your statement that U2 really lacks in the department of writing love songs. Some of their greatest songs have to do with relationships, even if they're not gooey "oo I love you" songs - One, With or Without You, Ultraviolet, All I Want is You, ect.

AtomicBono said:

I do disagree with your statement that U2 really lacks in the department of writing love songs. Some of their greatest songs have to do with relationships, even if they're not gooey "oo I love you" songs - One, With or Without You, Ultraviolet, All I Want is You, ect.

That's just it though, most of their love songs, are not "gooey oo I love you" type. Bono once said writing straight-forward love songs make him nauseaous, and if he does write them like that, they'll never see the light of day. People sometimes use "One" at weddings, which Bono and Edge don't think is the best for such an occasion.

All I want is you, is the closest I've come to a wedding song in U2's catalog.

thrillme said:

That's just it though, most of their love songs, are not "gooey oo I love you" type. Bono once said writing straight-forward love songs make him nauseaous, and if he does write them like that, they'll never see the light of day. People sometimes use "One" at weddings, which Bono and Edge don't think is the best for such an occasion.

All I want is you, is the closest I've come to a wedding song in U2's catalog.

I would love to see my girlfirend come down the aisl(how do you spell this??) with promenade blasting through the speakers..
She however would hate it :wink:

The only REAL love song I can think of is The Three Sunrises. Most of the others people usually mention have a darker side to them.

I don't know how someone could use One as a wedding song if they've listened to any of the words. I certainly don't want to walk down the aisle to the words "Did I disappoint you?.... You act like you never had love and you want me to go without."

I just remembered a story I heard on the radio about Crap Wedding Songs. Some woman rang in and said her husband played "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," at their wedding. :laugh:

Meghan said:

I just remembered a story I heard on the radio about Crap Wedding Songs. Some woman rang in and said her husband played "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," at their wedding. :laugh:

OUCH :laugh:

Thats either a big screw up or a big hint.. Funny

namkcuR said:
Listen, the person that complains about feeling 'let down' because U2 have gone so nausiatingly commercial but still tries to like HTDAAB, playing it 100 times but still not seeing and feeling within it what was in War or The Unforgettable Fire or The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby etc, harbors a great deal more love for U2 than the person that thought Joshua Tree was good, Achtung was ok, and then abandoned the band for the better part of a decade until they started making easily digestable music again(that was a hell of a run-on setence :wink: ). If you love a band, you don't just leave them the minute they start making music you're not crazy about. I'm not very crazy about HTDAAB but I will still go out and buy the next record.

Not really, both persons are fans, they just prefer different eras of U2. It's not about who's a better/bigger fan.

U2girl said:

Not really, both persons are fans, they just prefer different eras of U2. It's not about who's a better/bigger fan.

Did I ever say either person wasn't a fan? No. You're missing the point.

The person that sticks with the band the whole time is more loyal to the band than the person who skips out on them the minute they start making music that can't be sung along to the first time it's heard.

You said the person that is questioning their last 5 years "harbors a great deal more love for U2" than the person that is questioning Zooropa/Pop.
If that's not saying that person is a bigger fan I don't know what is.

I find it really insulting to say fans who didn't like those albums only like "commercial and sing-along music". The last time I checked being a fan was about liking the music, not how much it sells or whether you can sing along.

Oh and I'm sure plenty of people who "abandoned U2" with Zooropa and Pop got back with All that... and Bomb.
On the other hand it sure looks like some people are ready to get another favorite band in this forum after those albums.

Amusingly those people are the loudest about being a "true" fan and sticking with the band.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
You said the person that is questioning their last 5 years "harbors a great deal more love for U2" than the person that is questioning Zooropa/Pop.
If that's not saying that person is a bigger fan I don't know what is.

I find it really insulting to say fans who didn't like those albums only like "commercial and sing-along music". The last time I checked being a fan was about liking the music, not how much it sells or whether you can sing along.

Oh and I'm sure plenty of people who "abandoned U2" with Zooropa and Pop got back with All that... and Bomb.
On the other hand it sure looks like some people are ready to get another favorite band in this forum after those albums.

Amusingly those people are the loudest about being a "true" fan and sticking with the band.

Did you read the last line of my original post? I said I'm not crazy about HTDAAB BUT I will still go out and buy the next record U2 makes. I won't just leave them behind. I will stick with them.

And of course people abandoned U2 got back with ATYCLB and HTDAAB - that is exactly the point I'm making! When U2 got experimental and were in their whole 'we're gonna fuck up the mainstream' mindset, they lost all these fans, and these same fans are the ones that come flocking back when U2 releases a record full of U2-sounding, easier-to-digest music.

Not that ATYCLB is all that bad. In and of itself, it's a good record, just not(imo) as good/great/brilliant as U2 are capable of. Whereas HTDAAB is just boring, imo.

You still didn't answer the first two paragraphs of my post. I also wasn't necessarily referring to your posts , I said "some people". If you don't think that applied to you, what's the problem?

People who weren't crazy about Zooropa and Pop still bought ATYCLB and the Bomb. (if they would have abandoned the band they wouldn't have bought anything after Zooropa came out)

People who weren't crazy about ATYCLB and Bomb will still buy the next album. (I have my doubts, reading some of the venom in this forum)

Sounding like U2 isn't a crime - especially since U2 spent so much time exploring other sounds. When a band is around for this long, it's perfectly normal to like some albums less.

Opinion, not fact.

namkcuR said:

Did you read the last line of my original post? I said I'm not crazy about HTDAAB BUT I will still go out and buy the next record U2 makes. I won't just leave them behind. I will stick with them.

And of course people abandoned U2 got back with ATYCLB and HTDAAB - that is exactly the point I'm making! When U2 got experimental and were in their whole 'we're gonna fuck up the mainstream' mindset, they lost all these fans, and these same fans are the ones that come flocking back when U2 releases a record full of U2-sounding, easier-to-digest music.

Not that ATYCLB is all that bad. In and of itself, it's a good record, just not(imo) as good/great/brilliant as U2 are capable of. Whereas HTDAAB is just boring, imo.

Oh, don't forget the people who never abandoned U2, because they weren't fans until (fill in the blank) album was released.

Think some are missing the "newbie factor."

Some people may have got into U2 with ATYCLB without any knowledge of their past work. Same with "Atomic bomb." Everyone was a newbie at some point, a newbie can become just as big a fan as someone from the early days, just depends on the person.

The only U2 album I find a bit boring is Rattle and Hum at times. Not the live tracks though.

++++++++

Atomic Bomb is my # 5 U2 album, ironically tied with Boy. ATYCLB, I do like it, but it's a mood album.

1 War
2 Joshua Tree
3 Achtung Baby
4 October
5 Atomic Bomb/Boy

*Do I like Steve Lillywhite's work or what? oh right, he's friends with Adam=bass=:rockon: * (does seem to bring the more "rock" side out of U2)

The others are mood albums, depending on how I feel, whether I want to listen to them, so I don't even rank them.

Last edited:
thrillme said:
Some people may have got into U2 with ATYCLB without any knowledge of their past work.

I was one of them except I knew a few songs, that will always be my favourites One, Pride, Desire, With or without you, I still haven't found.

On a random thought I think if you love ATYCLB you will love all U2, you say this wasn't a risk but you condemn it, so does that mean U2 risked losing all there fans.

dabiggestu2fan said:
I don't know lately when i come to check the messages many many thread titles are negative, like "here is u2's problem" or "what sucks about HTDAAB" or whats u2's worst song ever? well you get the point. To me it just seems there is so much bashing! i think U2 is great and i think thier latest album is amazing. It just kina sucks to see so much negativity about the band we supposably like in here!

okey you can yell at me now!

It's precisely why I left the atu2.com boards. Look, I don't mind criticism myself (and I don't think the band doesn't mind either), but there was so much negativety and downright bashing (I think one user now refers to U2 as "U2/TM") on the message boards that I dtarted to wonder "jeez, are their any fans in this message board that still actually LIKES U2?"

Last edited:
dabiggestu2fan said:
I don't know lately when i come to check the messages many many thread titles are negative, like "here is u2's problem" or "what sucks about HTDAAB" or whats u2's worst song ever? well you get the point. To me it just seems there is so much bashing! i think U2 is great and i think thier latest album is amazing. It just kina sucks to see so much negativity about the band we supposably like in here!

okey you can yell at me now!

HTDAAB does suck.

HTDAAB is U2's second-best album.

Just thought this thread could use something positive.

Axver said:
HTDAAB is U2's second-best album.

Just thought this thread could use something positive.

hahah your funny!!

check out war,jt,ab, even pop!

htdaab is childs work!!i bet people were yawning in the studio while they were making it!!
3074-yawning-monkey.jpg

yes monkey,s were in the studio!!

Last edited:
Achtung and Pop are over-rated on these forums.

JT is pretty much level with HTDAAB and War's nearly there.

Axver...I don't think UF is the best U2 record but I do think it's a great record and I don't question anybody's opinion if they think UF is U2's best record. But I don't see how, if you can recognize the brilliance of UF, you can then say HTDAAB is on the same plateau.

1.AB
2.JT
3.Pop/Zooropa
4.War/The Unforgettable Fire
5.ATYCLB
6.R&H
7.Boy/October
8.HTDAAB

Because I, unlike some of the more vocal members of this forum, think that HTDAAB is a fantastic album made by a band at the top of their game and maturing in their abilities and outlooks.

To me, UF was made by a band exploring their potential and what they could do. HTDAAB was made by a band who know what they can do and want to maximise it. And damn, they sure did maximise it on songs like COBL, LAPOE, and Crumbs.

Because I, unlike some of the more vocal members of this forum, think that HTDAAB is a fantastic album made by a band at the top of their game and maturing in their abilities and outlooks.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is U2's best album...! Said!
And like someone said AB, Pop and Zooropa too... are too overated here... I love all the albums, but the last one makes me have a psychological orgasm...

Aygo said:

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is U2's best album...! Said!
And like someone said AB, Pop and Zooropa too... are too overated here... I love all the albums, but the last one makes me have a psychological orgasm...

I don't think it is U2's best but it is a amazing album, if you listen to it, it sounds like U2 are full of ideas like

Should we experiment again- AMAAW and Fast Cars
Should we go back to rock-Vertigo,Crumbs,COBL,LAPOE,ABOY
Should we go back to political songs-Crumbs,LAPOE
Should we go to emotional stuff-SYCMIOYO,Miracle drug

U2 still have it an dare better then ever, the album was designed to appeal to all fansd, and if you like all u2's styles you will love this

Irishteen said:

I don't think it is U2's best but it is a amazing album, if you listen to it, it sounds like U2 are full of ideas like

U2 still have it an dare better then ever, the album was designed to appeal to all fansd, and if you like all u2's styles you will love this

lie! if what you said is true then why do i not like this album!!

people are saying it sounds like boy or jt or whatever the truth is it does not/ i love those albums but cant stand htdaab!!

shaun vox said:

lie! if what you said is true then why do i not like this album!!

people are saying it sounds like boy or jt or whatever the truth is it does not/ i love those albums but cant stand htdaab!!

I don't know why you don't like it, I didn't like it on first listen but I listened to it, a few more times and it grew on me, only liked 3 songs on my first listen Vertigo, COBl and Fast cars, well Fast cars was more of the feeling i got when i first heard MOFO, I think it was what the fuck is this. And anyway that is just IMO not a sure fact.

Some folks here are expecting U2 to be the ones they were 10 or 15 years ago... experimenting and tying new things no one ever heard before.
Well, I'm sorry to anounce you but U2 are not aged 30 anymore...
They're 45 and after some albums that dind't get the success they want, it's very natural thatr they're trying to re-afirmate themselves as a rock n' roll band (that is in fact, what they really are!)...
HTDAAB (and in part ATCLB's too a bit) represents U2 as they are in 2005. Maybe in the end of the decade they get back to experimental-rock, but now they want to feel a bit more safe, and to be sincere I really love these "too-safe-U2".
The last album is an amazing album and for people who really apreciates good rock it is an album that we never get tired of. That's my case. It's a very complete album and very cohesive with the songs. I'm glad that those alternate versions (with the quality of demos!!!) didn't make the final cut... Thanks God, You exist!
I prefer to listen a good rock album (like HTDAAB) to listen an album where quality's not perfect, songs sound like demos or experimental things that nobody knows what they really represent...

shaun vox said:

hahah your funny!!

check out war,jt,ab, even pop!

htdaab is childs work!!i bet people were yawning in the studio while they were making it!!
3074-yawning-monkey.jpg

yes monkey,s were in the studio!!

Congratulations, you have now repeated yourself 1865 times.

Re: Re: Re: is this a U2 bashing forum or a fan club?

Irishteen said:

Very good you got it right

Oh, very cool. You switched what I said to make it seem as though I like How to Dismantle, even though it's the worst album of the past five years other than the new Coldplay.

Why do some of you get so worked up about other people saying things that maybe you think are wrong? Grow and get a sense of humor or lighten up already. I don't expect people to agree with me but I also don't expect people to take every criticism of U2 as though I killed your mother or something. Ease up a bit.

Last edited:
Irishteen said:

Very well put! I agree 100%!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom