Is songs of experience a commentary on depression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
man getting that upset over two lines of using some effects on Bono's voice is silly when there's a perfectly fine american soul to get upset at instead.

oh and btw - it's a vocoder, not auto-tune. it's adding a robotic effect, not fixing his pitch. why would he fix his pitch when he's also singing with himself in harmony in the correct pitch? at least bitch about the correct thing if you're going to bitch.
Oh, don't worry, I deleted 'American Soul' out of existence the first time I heard it. (In retrospect, I'm surprised I made it past the title.)

Okay, vocoder, whatever. Anyway, it's U2 trying to sound like stuff tweens buy, which is pathetic.

tweens "buy" music now when they use it on their tiktok videos, or on instagram or whatever. the big record companies took well over a decade of shit (thanks napster :up: ) but by now they've figured out how to bleed artists to the bone once again (fuck you spotify :down: ).

Last edited:
Oh, don't worry, I deleted 'American Soul' out of existence the first time I heard it. (In retrospect, I'm surprised I made it past the title.)

Okay, vocoder, whatever. Anyway, it's U2 trying to sound like stuff tweens buy, which is pathetic.

Love is All is a fantastic song and perfect opener. Wish they had gone with the St. Peter's String version of Lights, as it is both better and transitions better from Love is All.

That aside. I don't see how anyone can bitch about them using a vocoder in a song as trying to be hip with the kids. I mean, we would have to be pissed that they used synths and reverby 80's drum sounds on UF, or vocal distortion and more modern drum rhythms on AB, or electronic beeps and boops on Zooropa, or electronica/dance elements on POP.

The band is still here because of their transformations and keeping their core sound while still progressing with the times.

Oh yeah, American Soul sucks.

I don't think you have ever listened to the song,because that does not describe it at all.

I don't think you have ever listened to the song,because that does not describe it at all.

yeah, I think the song itself to me feels like a near death, out of body experience, floating above and looking "through the other end of a telescope". The vocoder gives the effect of an other-worldliness, not being connected to your physical body, and I think it is effective. I really, really like this song.

yeah, I think the song itself to me feels like a near death, out of body experience, floating above and looking "through the other end of a telescope". The vocoder gives the effect of an other-worldliness, not being connected to your physical body, and I think it is effective. I really, really like this song.
Spot on,great opening song.

Any health crisis can often lead to depression, so it's a possibility that he lives with depression. It is a very difficult thing to live with, but it can also make you a better person in many ways. The stigma and lack of understanding still exists and adds to the difficulty of living with it.

Was announced on his birthday today that his memoir is out on November 1st, maybe he will discuss his health crisis or maybe not.

He reads a bit from a chapter on the U2 Instagram and Twitter this morning.

It’s #Bono’s birthday & the news is out. He’s written a memoir. ‘SURRENDER: 40 Songs, One Story’

Coming 1 Nov. He reads from the chapter #OutOfControl about starting to write U2’s 1st single on 10 May 1978, his 18th birthday, 44 yrs ago. http://surrendermemoir.com

This is actually my first time seeing this thread and I find all your takes on these songs pretty interesting. Unfortunately, it hasn't reframed things enough for me to appreciate the album as a whole any more than I used to ("used to" because I barely listen to any of it now).

It's the only U2 album that never grew on me (some songs just the opposite), aside from the wonderful Love is Bigger; which I initially was disgusted with the obvious pop-adjacent sound they were attempting. Now I see that one as at least a strong middle-of-the-road song in their catalog.

The songs that caught me right away are still the ones I revisit (Love is all..., Lights of home (strings version), Little things, 13, some of The Blackout, the Kygo version of Best Thing, and Book of your heart). Everything else just lacks depth or was trying to bite off more than it could chew. It kept feeling like every time the lyrics would start to get really interesting and moody we'd be hit with a "Lincoln's Ghost", or a "Jack/Zack", or an embarrassing attempt at self-parody, or...I could go on. It's like an abrupt hit of cold water every few minutes and I can't wait for something new to wash the taste of this album out. May be a case of be careful what I wish for, but it's our usual waiting game for now.

Funnily I thought some of his language about his 18th birthday in that snippet hints at a pre-existing struggle with depression. The allusions to not being able to get out of bed etc. not overt, but definitely a flag.

In the Irish Times article he says he had heart surgery for a "blister" on his aorta, which is an aortic aneurysm. He also alludes to additional health issues besides that. If he does live with depression too I hope he does talk about it in the book, it can help other people who do.

Back
Top Bottom