IO: Punctuation is your friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:up: I was thinking you all were talking about use of the informal contraction. For the record, I agree with you all. When I see things like "should of," I always wonder how these people speak. Do they actually say "should of?" :huh:

b) Now, I thought that affect was the verb and effect was the noun. Am I wrong?
- I was affected by his moving speech.
- The effect of his speech was that I cried.

I teach high school. I can imagine the horror. :no:

They aren't exclusively emotional or physical, no, but the general rule is that affect is an emotional response to stimulus and effect is the outcome of an event.

The second example you use isn't a noun though. It is also a really really bad sentence.

i blame u2 for this on, at least on interference.

2004_dvdsets_002.jpg

And a picture? :tsk:

They aren't exclusively emotional or physical, no, but the general rule is that affect is an emotional response to stimulus and effect is the outcome of an event.

The second example you use isn't a noun though. It is also a really really bad sentence.

Why isn't it a noun? And yes, I know it's a bad sentence. I was just trying to think of a quick example.

af⋅fect1  [v. uh-fekt; n. af-ekt] Show IPA
Use affect in a Sentence
–verb (used with object)
1. to act on; produce an effect or change in: Cold weather affected the crops.
2. to impress the mind or move the feelings of: The music affected him deeply.
3. (of pain, disease, etc.) to attack or lay hold of.
–noun
4. Psychology. feeling or emotion.
5. Psychiatry. an expressed or observed emotional response: Restricted, flat, or blunted affect may be a symptom of mental illness, especially schizophrenia.
6. Obsolete. affection; passion; sensation; inclination; inward disposition or feeling.

Usage note:
Affect1 and effect, each both noun and verb, share the sense of “influence,” and because of their similarity in pronunciation are sometimes confused in writing. As a verb affect1 means “to act on” or “to move” (His words affected the crowd so deeply that many wept); affect2 means “to pretend” or “to assume” (new students affecting a nonchalance they didn't feel). The verb effect means “to bring about, accomplish”: Her administration effected radical changes. The noun effect means “result, consequence”: the serious effects of the oil spill. The noun affect1 pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, is a technical term in psychology and psychiatry. Affect2 is not used as a noun.

ef⋅fect  [i-fekt] Show IPA
Use effect in a Sentence
–noun
1. something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence: Exposure to the sun had the effect of toughening his skin.
2. power to produce results; efficacy; force; validity; influence: His protest had no effect.
3. the state of being effective or operative; operation or execution; accomplishment or fulfillment: to bring a plan into effect.
4. a mental or emotional impression produced, as by a painting or a speech.
5. meaning or sense; purpose or intention: She disapproved of the proposal and wrote to that effect.
6. the making of a desired impression: We had the feeling that the big, expensive car was only for effect.
7. an illusory phenomenon: a three-dimensional effect.
8. a real phenomenon (usually named for its discoverer): the Doppler effect.

:scratch:

It's still really just the little things that get under my skin. Your/you're, their/there/they're, the list goes on. But all of this pales in comparison to the pure laziness of not PUNCTUATING one's posts!!! How much effort does it take to put a period at the end of a complete thought?

just a wild guess, but I'm pretty sure the person giving everyone the ellipses shits is a close relative of mine :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom