IO: my wisdom teeth are gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hug: At least it's over now and it shouldn't take too long to heal up a bit.

Do you have pain relief?

Oh you poor poor dear! I remember having that done. The pain was one thing...the healing process wasn't fun, I remember my mouth tasting awful and having to swish this stuff around in it. Lots of jello, mashed potatoes, milkshakes and babyfood or pudding for days. Bleh. I hope you heal fast sami!

I had 2 out, one at a time. That way, you've got the other side to chew with :D I also had mine out in the dentist's chair, under a local, cos I'm tough :mad:

Thanks everyone! :hug:

Oh you poor poor dear! I remember having that done. The pain was one thing...the healing process wasn't fun, I remember my mouth tasting awful and having to swish this stuff around in it. Lots of jello, mashed potatoes, milkshakes and babyfood or pudding for days. Bleh. I hope you heal fast sami!

:yes: I had the procedure yesterday morning and I still can't brush my teeth for a while, it's sooo gross! The taste and smell (ew) is like a mixture of blood and food and morning breath :lol: And yeah, since they did all 4 it's not even like I can chew on one side of my mouth. AND I'm flying to NY on Tuesday so I hope I'm pretty much better by then, and I hope the air pressure or whatever makes your ears pop on planes doesn't make it hurt or affect it at all :uhoh:

Blueeyedgirl, I wanted them to do it under a local but they said it was much easier for them if they sedated me (it wasn't general anesthesia, it just put me to sleep and as soon as they took the IV out I was up). But the drugs they give you before they put you out are fun, my mom said I was so disoriented when I woke up that I told her we should get a nitrous oxide machine for the house because it's the best thing ever :lmao:

I hated getting mine out (obviously...I mean, who would like it??). It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be though...and having an excuse to eat lots of Jell-O and mashed potatoes was kinda cool. :D My biggest bummer was not drinking pop. I love pop, but I was told that drinking it while recovering could put me at a greater risk of developing dry socket. I didn't dare risk it. :yikes:

Hope you're back to normal soon! :hug:

nitrous oxide machine at the house! :up:

Sami, I hope your flight is going to be good to you, I have no idea how altitude would affect something like wisdom tooth extraction recovery. I'd have some good meds handy just in case. :ohmy: Good luck! And I know what you mean about the taste and smell, I really think that was the worst of my experience anyway. The soft food diet was kinda fun.

dry socket....the WORST thing ever!!! :sad:

I had mine out (all at once) when I was 16. The swelling was so bad in the back of my mouth that I couldn't even clench my front teeth together to bite through anything. I had to finely chop up the noodles in my chicken noodle soup before attempting to eat them, since I couldn't chew. I must say, I wouldn't have gotten through that week without mashed potatoes though :lol:

Oddly, as soon as the stitches came out after a week, I felt like 90% better. Apparently the dentist put the stitches in all weird so I had a stitch going through my inner cheek from the top gum to the bottom on both sides :eyebrow: Maybe that's why it was so bad for me :shrug:

But even if you're on liquids/near liquids, don't suck from a straw. You could disturb the blood clot :barf:

Thanks for that tip :nauseous:

When I had my first tooth out, I had the option of having the lot done or just the one, but since the others weren't giving me grief, the doc said just do the one. And he gave me two valium to take before the appointment :love: I had noooooooooo problems with the needles, or pain, or my job, or my mother, or aaannyytthhingggg...... :drool:

Drugs rule. :up:

How smart can wisdom teeth be when they insist on growing in the most inappropriate of places in the mouth? You'd think they would have learnt by now.

well they're called wisdom teeth because people think wisdom comes with age, and you get the teeth when you grow older..
the thing I wonder about the most tho is, what purpose do they serve?? I even asked my dentist, he didn't have a clue! they are unnecessary and with most people there's no room in the jaw for them either!

I have never had an impacted tooth but I hear they are really painful and longer recovery than having a "normal" tooth extraction.
I think all of mine were impacted. I just remember having jaw pain and going to the oral surgeon. He took an x-ray, looked at it, said "yup, they're impacted" and scheduled me to have them removed the following week.

well they're called wisdom teeth because people think wisdom comes with age, and you get the teeth when you grow older..
the thing I wonder about the most tho is, what purpose do they serve?? I even asked my dentist, he didn't have a clue! they are unnecessary and with most people there's no room in the jaw for them either!

My oral surgeon explained all of this to me...

Back thousands of years ago when we were like cavemen, humans needed their teeth to survive. They would rip open animals with them, needed them to eat (obviously) and didn't have utensils. And because they were using their teeth for so much they would get infected a lot and fall out and crack and stuff and when a person back then didn't have teeth, they usually died at a young age because they had no way to eat their food. So wisdom teeth evolved to come in at an age where a person may only have a few teeth left to give them another shot at life. They were there to help the species survive. But now that we don't hunt and kill our own food and have other ways to eat they are basically just a pain in the ass.

Or something like that :lol:

My oral surgeon explained all of this to me...

Back thousands of years ago when we were like cavemen, humans needed their teeth to survive. They would rip open animals with them, needed them to eat (obviously) and didn't have utensils. And because they were using their teeth for so much they would get infected a lot and fall out and crack and stuff and when a person back then didn't have teeth, they usually died at a young age because they had no way to eat their food. So wisdom teeth evolved to come in at an age where a person may only have a few teeth left to give them another shot at life. They were there to help the species survive. But now that we don't hunt and kill our own food and have other ways to eat they are basically just a pain in the ass.

Or something like that :lol:

:hmm: I see! that sounds valid!

Back
Top Bottom