Invisible with STRONG U.S. Airplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
I haven't seen a U2 song debut like this since joining this site 12 years ago. In just 2 days, Invisible has debuted on the following radio formats in the U.S.

Adult Rock (AAA) 33
Alternative 29
Active Rock 31
Mainstream Rock 4

May be that radio stations just picked up on it with all the publicity that comes from the Super Bowl. However, within a week we'll know if this song was just a blip or if it has real staying power. Adding up all the spins on just those 4 formats puts the song Invisible well inside the overall Top 30 songs based on airplay only.

Ordinary Love peaked at #5 on Adult Rock Chart in U.S. and is currently #7. However, it continues to do well in other countries, including being the fastest riser in Canada last week for Alternative format. Invisible may steal spins moving forward, however.

I looked at the iTunes singles chart and was disappointed to see that Invisible is listed at #132 or something like that. Does anyone know if the free downloads from the first 24 hours do not count towards ranking on the iTunes chart ? I have a hard time believing that Invisble is stuck down there below a whole bunch of singles that aren't even new, considering the number of people that certainly must have downloaded the single during the free window.

I looked at the iTunes singles chart and was disappointed to see that Invisible is listed at #132 or something like that. Does anyone know if the free downloads from the first 24 hours do not count towards ranking on the iTunes chart ? I have a hard time believing that Invisible is stuck down there below a whole bunch of singles that aren't even new, considering the number of people that certainly must have downloaded the single during the free window.

iTunes doesn't count free downloads. For being a paid track, and debuting as a paid track on Tuesday morning, downloads for 'Invisible' are stronger than expected worldwide. The 3.1 million people that wanted to download it already downloaded it, so it's to be expected that the hype would diminish a bit.

It's always difficult to make it to the Top 100 in the general U.S. iTunes charts, because it's always the same songs every few months. The highest position 'Ordinary Love' was in the U.S. charts was #80, shortly after they won the Golden Globes. At time of writing, 'Invisible' is at #104. What matters is that there are still people that are interested in U2. :up:

Billboard explains it...will debut after ONE DAY

Invisible will not get singles sales credit, so it won't chart based on downloads. But to enter any BB chart after ONE day of airplay is quite the feat. This will be for THIS WEEK's BB chart, which ended Monday night. The chart positions I posted are real time, or updated daily, so as you can see, Invisible is racing up those 4 formats listed. If it crosses over into Mainstream Pop, then it could be one of their biggest hits.

Article: 'Invisible' Debut Is Strong on Radio

Now that U2 have confirmed it's not the lead single for a new album, who knows, it might do even better...

It will get sales credit from today on though, now that you have to pay for it, no?

Not sure

It will get sales credit from today on though, now that you have to pay for it, no?

Don't know about that...it's still a "promotion" with all proceeds going to RED. But maybe they do "count" going forward. It might help a little but the chance for the song to have a "top" debut on the BB Hot 100 Singles is gone since so many downloads happened for free...

I have no idea how the BB Hot 100 is calculated any more...what mix is sales and what role does airplay have in figuring chart position? The rest of the singles charts are based on Airplay, but the Hot 100 gets mentioned the most...

Would be nice to see U2 get to #1 on several airplay charts, and Invisible is off to a great start. IIRC, U2 still has the record for most #1 on Alternative, and on Adult Rock, too. That was the case in 2009, anyway.

It doesn't matter where the money is going or that U2 wants to pretend it isn't a "lead single", charity singles have charted in the past.

Invisible IS charting after just 3 days w/o sales data

It doesn't matter where the money is going or that U2 wants to pretend it isn't a "lead single", charity singles have charted in the past.

Not sure of your point...Invisible IS CHARTING and after just 3 days of Airplay, it's in the Top 30 on 4 different radio formats. In 24 hours it has climbed another 5 spots to 28 on the format where it debuted at 33 yesterday (can't remember which one that was...see OP). It's up a few spots on the other formats and holding at #4 on Mainstream Rock.

Give it 2-3 weeks and we'll see just how big of a "hit" it has the potential to be...

It will chart on Billboard's Rock Top 50 chart at 35 in next week's edition of the magazine, and that was due to just ONE DAY of airplay, as the cut off for that chart was Monday night at midnight.

Yep

I mean charity singles can chart on the Hot 100.

They can. Like I said, I don't know how that chart is figured with respect to sales and airplay any more. I do remember the disappointment on this forum when Vertigo peaked in the 20's and the Hot 100 DID NOT count downloads. Dr. Who and others did some calculations and determined that AT THAT TIME, if Billboard could have gotten up to speed, Vertigo would have been a #1 hit for U2 in the U.S.

Regardless, Invisible may show up in the Top 100, but I doubt it will next week with just one day of airplay to help it...

If it does gain traction, or keep gaining traction, then it could definitely chart in the Top 100 based just on airplay, assuming that's at least half of the equation. I'm assuming it is, since there is a chart for "Digital Singles Sales" on Billboard. Guess we'll see.

@beLIEve
Thank you very much for all the information. I haven´t been on this forum for a few years and it is so great to be back and see that fans like you are still around to share this data with us.

I haven't seen a U2 song debut like this since joining this site 12 years ago. In just 2 days, Invisible has debuted on the following radio formats in the U.S.

Adult Rock (AAA) 33

Alternative 29

Active Rock 31

Mainstream Rock 4

May be that radio stations just picked up on it with all the publicity that comes from the Super Bowl. However, within a week we'll know if this song was just a blip or if it has real staying power. Adding up all the spins on just those 4 formats puts the song Invisible well inside the overall Top 30 songs based on airplay only.

Ordinary Love peaked at #5 on Adult Rock Chart in U.S. and is currently #7. However, it continues to do well in other countries, including being the fastest riser in Canada last week for Alternative format. Invisible may steal spins moving forward, however.

Updated as of today:

AAA #28 with 151 spins
Active Rock #30 with 291 spins
Alternative #29 with 414 spins
Mainstream #4 with 243 spins

On ALL of the above formats the song is continuing to add stations, so the spins for the week are going to increase greatly as the week progresses. It is also interesting to note that 2 stations in the Adult Contemporary formate have added Invisible. This is important because if it gains traction on this format, it will almost guarantee the song becomes a hit (U2 type hit).

The real key format is Top 40, which has no trace of the song. IF Invisible cracks this format, the song will be a smash.

Updated as of today:

AAA #28 with 151 spins
Active Rock #30 with 291 spins
Alternative #29 with 414 spins
Mainstream #4 with 243 spins

And one day later...Feb 6 update

AAA/Adult Rock #20 with 197 spins
Active Rock #29 with 318 spins
Alternative #28 with 466 spins
Mainstream Rock #4 with 250 spins

Biggest mover on all 4 charts...

And one day later...Feb 6 update

AAA/Adult Rock #20 with 197 spins

Active Rock #29 with 318 spins

Alternative #28 with 466 spins

Mainstream Rock #4 with 250 spins

Biggest mover on all 4 charts...

And one day later......

AAA/Adult Rock #18 with 251 spins

Active Rock #27 with 345 spins

Alternative #28 with 510 spins

Mainstream Rock #4 with 253 spins

It is also being played on 3 Hot AC stations(in other words it's trying to break into the format
Slowly but surely it continues to gain momentum.

And one day later......

AAA/Adult Rock #18 with 251 spins

Active Rock #27 with 345 spins

Alternative #28 with 510 spins

Mainstream Rock #4 with 253 spins

Invisible in just it's 5th day of Airplay in the U.S.

Adult Rock/AAA
Last W This W Song Label Spins TW Spins LW Gain
0 11 Invisible Interscope 351 0 351

Active Rock
0 26 Invisible Interscope 413 0 413

Alternative
0 25 Invisible Interscope 601 0 601

Mainstream Rock
0 3 Invisible Interscope 266 0 266

Debut/Greatest Gainer No. 28 "Invisible" U2

U2 reclaims the record for the most Alternative Songs appearances in the chart's 25-year archives, as "Invisible" debuts at No. 28. Now with 39 visits, the band passes Pearl Jam, in second place with 38. Green Day and Red Hot Chili Peppers follow with 30 each. The song additionally blasts 35-12 on Rock Airplay and enters Adult Alternative Songs at No. 13 with Greatest Gainer honors on all three charts.

Chart Highlights: U2 Makes History On Alternative Songs With 'Invisible' | Billboard

Debut/Greatest Gainer No. 28 "Invisible" U2

U2 reclaims the record for the most Alternative Songs appearances in the chart's 25-year archives, as "Invisible" debuts at No. 28. Now with 39 visits, the band passes Pearl Jam, in second place with 38. Green Day and Red Hot Chili Peppers follow with 30 each. The song additionally blasts 35-12 on Rock Airplay and enters Adult Alternative Songs at No. 13 with Greatest Gainer honors on all three charts.

Chart Highlights: U2 Makes History On Alternative Songs With 'Invisible' | Billboard

:applaud:

We need a "Like" button on this forum!!

From @u2.com...

See U2 Home Page: @U2 - U2 News, U2 Lyrics, U2 Photos and more!

U2'S THE JOSHUA TREE RETURNS TO BILLBOARD ALBUM CHARTS AT NO. 47
Posted: February 10, 2014
By: Matt McGee
The Joshua Tree is back on the Billboard albums charts, almost 27 years after it was first released. Seriously. We had to do a double-take, too, when forum member Bill shared the news over the weekend. Sure enough, it's sitting at #47 on this week's Billboard 200...

U2'S 'INVISIBLE' IN TOP 30 ON FOUR BILLBOARD CHARTS
With a full week having passed since the song was released, U2's "Invisible" has hit the Top 30 on four separate Billboard charts and has almost cracked the Top 10 on two of them.

Here's a look at the song's current chart positions as reported by Billboard:

Rock Airplay: #12 (biggest gainer, up from #35)
Alternative Songs: #28 (debut/biggest gainer)
Adult Alternative Songs: #13 (debut/biggest gainer)
Mainstream Rock Songs: #27
Billboard says that "invisible" is U2's 39th song to appear on the "Alternative Songs" chart, putting the band one spot ahead of Pearl Jam's 38...

U2 is expected to release the full-length music video for "Invisible" tomorrow (Tuesday), so that could help push the song further up the charts this week.

"Invisible" was available as a free download on iTunes for about 36 hours last week, on February 2nd and 3rd, and was downloaded about 3.1 million times. It was removed temporarily from the iTunes store, then returned as a for-sale single with all proceeds continuing to go to (RED). By Thursday, the song had hit the #44 spot among all iTunes singles but it's down at #78 as I type this. It's remained the #1 Rock single on iTunes for nearly a week now.

They can. Like I said, I don't know how that chart is figured with respect to sales and airplay any more. I do remember the disappointment on this forum when Vertigo peaked in the 20's and the Hot 100 DID NOT count downloads. Dr. Who and others did some calculations and determined that AT THAT TIME, if Billboard could have gotten up to speed, Vertigo would have been a #1 hit for U2 in the U.S.

Just to clarify - I never said #1. :) I did predict top 10 easily. The song jumped over 20 spots on the Billboard charts once downloads were counted. Given that the song hit #31 without downloads, I predicted it should have been in the top 10 with downloads.

Could it have hit the top 5 or even #1? I don't know as I never had that type of information. I do know that sometimes downloads alone are enough for a new song to reach #1 on the Top 100 Billboard charts.

From the start...

Just to clarify - I never said #1. :) I did predict top 10 easily. The song jumped over 20 spots on the Billboard charts once downloads were counted. Given that the song hit #31 without downloads, I predicted it should have been in the top 10 with downloads.

Could it have hit the top 5 or even #1? I don't know as I never had that type of information. I do know that sometimes downloads alone are enough for a new song to reach #1 on the Top 100 Billboard charts.

Sorry, Doctor, it's been a while. FWIW, I think if downloads had been counted like they are today, Vertigo might have debuted at #1 if it was released 3 weeks after the i-tunes adds started. Forgot the details, but yeah, it was well after the song was released and had peaked on airplay when downloads were added to the chart. Sure seemed like a number 1 hit...but since I don't listen to "Mainstream/Pop" radio, it probably was not. Much higher than 31, but we'll never know.

Invisible has faded off 3/4 U.S. rock charts in just it's 2nd week, but is still gaining play on Adult Rock/AAA. Video may bump it a bit, but Ordinary Love peaked at #4 on AAA and Invisible is up to #8. Still in Top 40 on Alternative, Active Rock, and Mainstream Rock, but falling quickly. Billboard takes the 3 "rock" charts and combines them, but also lists Adult Rock/AAA separately, so it will still be on 3 BB charts this week. Actually, BB has an "Adult Alternative" chart, and Invisible debuted there this week at #13. It's at #8 on AAA. OL is at 18.

Elsewhere, Invisible (and OL) did the following:

Debuts at #5 on Spain's Top 50 singles chart
Debuts at #6 on Italy's Top 40 singles chart (OL down 1 to 11)
Moves up 25 spots to #41 on Netherlands Top 50 (OL is STILL at 18)
Debuts at 33 on Canada's Alternative Chart (OL drops from 33 to 44)
Debuts at 34 on Canada's Active Rock Chart (OL holds at 17)
Debuts at #11 on France Top 100 Singles (OL rises 6 places to 21)
Debuts at #65 on UK Top 100 Singles
Debuts at #62 on Austria Top 75 Singles (OL up from 52 to 29)
Moves up 7 spots to #24 in Ireland (OL down to 43)
Debuts at 53 on Swiss Top 100 Singles (OL jumps 24 to 13 in it's 8th week)
Moves from 22 to 5 in Portugal (OL stays at 10)
Debuts at #14 on Finland Top 20 Singles Chart
Moves up to #20 on Poland Top 30 Singles (OL drops 1 spot to #2)
Moves from #22 to #13 on Sweden Top 30 Singles Chart
Debuts at #11 on Hungary Top 20 Singles Chart (OL drops 3 to 13)

Euro Top 200 Singles Chart: OL stays at 10 and Invisible debuts at 22

It has charted elsewhere, but that's a pretty big overview. Top song on Global Chart has 400,000+ downloads. Invisible had 3.1M downloads in it's first 48 hours. Doing well in Europe, but I'm really surprised OL was a Top 10 hit in Europe. Not sure how Invisible is being charted in Europe, either; i.e., did first 2 days of downloads count? Likely not, just like in the U.S. charts.

Song reached it's goal for charity.

See U2 Home Page: @U2 - U2 News, U2 Lyrics, U2 Photos and more!

U2'S THE JOSHUA TREE RETURNS TO BILLBOARD ALBUM CHARTS AT NO. 47
The Joshua Tree is back on the Billboard albums charts, almost 27 years after it was first released. Seriously. We had to do a double-take, too, when forum member Bill shared the news over the weekend. Sure enough, it's sitting at #47 on this week's Billboard 200...

Forget invisible, the band should push that album instead. shoot a video for some song that never got one. lol. Lets go!!

Yeah I did a double take on that one too, it was a featured chart next to an article about the Invisible video on Billboard's website the other day, I thought it was some kind of "On this day in history" chart at first.

I found this on Billboard.com

Rock Airplay
*** No. 1 (2 weeks)*** "Team" Lorde
Greatest Gainer No. 12 "Invisible" U2
Debut No. 44 "Take Out The Gunman" Chevelle
Debut No. 49 "Dead But Rising" Volbeat

I've always thought U2 fans were a little funny, the way they follow the chart position, iTunes downloads, Youtube views, radio airplay, etc., as if it's their favourite indie band struggling to be heard...stuff like..."Invisible just entered the Macedonia charts at #72!!!!"

I kinda equate rooting for U2 a bit like being a New England Patriots fan...I mean, how hard is it, really? Even when they do bad, they still do better than 99% of the "competition". U2 fans have never really had to endure a losing season. And I suspect some of us still like to think of U2 as our little secret, and don't quite realise they're one of the biggest acts in the world. :)

I've always thought U2 fans were a little funny, the way they follow the chart position, iTunes downloads, Youtube views, radio airplay, etc., as if it's their favourite indie band struggling to be heard...stuff like..."Invisible just entered the Macedonia charts at #72!!!!"

I kinda equate rooting for U2 a bit like being a New England Patriots fan...I mean, how hard is it, really? Even when they do bad, they still do better than 99% of the "competition". U2 fans have never really had to endure a losing season. And I suspect some of us still like to think of U2 as our little secret, and don't quite realise they're one of the biggest acts in the world. :)

Funny you should say that because I am a New England Patriots Fan. lol Although I do remember them when they had constant losing seasons.

Back
Top Bottom