Invisible - Reactions Thread (Do not post song requests - Discussion only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like it, but at the risk of bringing up Coldplay, I'm sort of hoping it's a Violet Hill to a Viva La Vida.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I noticed on the itunes download page it says that BofA will make the donation for every download after 12:01 pm EST. So if you downloaded it this morning before that maybe the donation wasn't made? I downloaded it about 15 minutes after that but I think everyone around here was listening to it long before that.

The problem may be that you're expecting a song as good as those classics. It's not going to happen. This is an old band trying desperately to keep relevant. In that regard, they've done a fine job with this. Be realistic.

You may be right. I always build up my expectations prior to each album thinking that it's going to be the next AB. Have to stop listing to Bono! I hope that the full version has an extended guitar solo and another verse/chorus. This seems incomplete to me.

hearing Invisible again, it just reminds me a little bit of "All Because of You", that whole "I saw you in the curve of the moon, In the shadow cast across my room" part...

Maybe it's just because it sounds similar

I don't get why anybody would go in expecting another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. Most bands don't even produce one all-time album, let alone two. You can argue that All That You Can't Leave Behind resonated with the public in a very similar was as the other two -- and even if you're not a fan of All That You Can't Leave Behind, the chances are you hold another album from their catalog in the same breath as AB/JT -- either UF, War, Pop, Zooropa most likely. So you're looking at 2, maybe 3 all-time classic albums with the public, plus your personal favorites among them.

I just want the next album to be good. It doesn't have to be good relative to anything else except just good. I want to like it, and hey, maybe I will think it's as good as AB/JT. I hope so. But if it's not, I'm sure it'll be pretty good anyway.

hearing Invisible again, it just reminds me a little bit of "All Because of You", that whole "I saw you in the curve of the moon, In the shadow cast across my room" part...

Maybe it's just because it sounds similar

Maybe, but this is a much stronger song. "All Because of You" has a forced chorus; sounded like they didn't know what to do there. "Invisible" is stronger, overall. Not classic U2 by any means, but strong enough for an album track.

It's very good in headphones, and that guitar riff Edge does after the second chorus gets lodged in your head.

I listened to it 4 times last night and once more this morning and I'm not feeling those nervous 'maybe I overrated this a bit' vibes.

Disagree 100 percent. I think Ordinary Love's chorus is melodic and anthemic and memorable in an extremely natural way whereas Invisible sounds like it's straining for effect. It doesn't even sound completely thought out, Invisible. The same familiar rhythm section drives it...it's all so familiar. Ordinary Love's chorus sounds like it could be covered by gospel choir and sung a cappella. Try imagining that for Invisible's chorus...you'll start to see how weak it is. The song is what Joe Pesci explains about the prosecution's case in My Cousin Vinny...it's a bunch of strong looking bricks...it appears powerful...but when you flip the bricks over you realize they're paper thin...because well...it's bullshit.

I find Ordinary Love to be very dull and to say it is anthemic is crazy. Invisible sounds fresh and and much more interesting. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe, but this is a much stronger song. "All Because of You" has a forced chorus; sounded like they didn't know what to do there. "Invisible" is stronger, overall. Not classic U2 by any means, but strong enough for an album track.

Agreed.

Although I think this version won't make it to the album, I'm thinking in a more "raw" version of the song... With the original lyrics, maybe?

I don't get why anybody would go in expecting another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. Most bands don't even produce one all-time album, let alone two. You can argue that All That You Can't Leave Behind resonated with the public in a very similar was as the other two -- and even if you're not a fan of All That You Can't Leave Behind, the chances are you hold another album from their catalog in the same breath as AB/JT -- either UF, War, Pop, Zooropa most likely. So you're looking at 2, maybe 3 all-time classic albums with the public, plus your personal favorites among them.

I just want the next album to be good. It doesn't have to be good relative to anything else except just good. I want to like it, and hey, maybe I will think it's as good as AB/JT. I hope so. But if it's not, I'm sure it'll be pretty good anyway.

Best post I've read in a while.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

You may be right. I always build up my expectations prior to each album thinking that it's going to be the next AB. Have to stop listing to Bono! I hope that the full versions has an extended guitar solo and another verse. This seems incomplete to me.

I think it desperately needs another chorus after that sort of deadening bridge/outro.

Commercial in about 20 minutes or so. Should be gr8888888

Get the feeling that Steve Lillywhite is not a huge fan of it based on his tweets. Have to say that he seems like an amazing guy though, one of the few celebs who actively engages with his twitter followers. Seems really down to earth.

It was on just now, about 2 minutes before the end of the first quarter. Early birds.

They looked great on my big screen.

He didnt say nything bad about it.. just mentioned that he was interested to hear how Danger Mouse interprets the u2 sound

Get the feeling that Steve Lillywhite is not a huge fan of it based on his tweets. Have to say that he seems like an amazing guy though, one of the few celebs who actively engages with his twitter followers. Seems really down to earth.

He deals pretty well with the bunch of U2 fans who ask him if he's working on the record constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom