Interference's Favorite Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 3 you listed are all great,but, again, a lot of people think 2001 is too slow. I don't understand that, but, that's just me. Maybe they see space and expect crazy battles and such.

I've heard that gripe about 2001, too. I thought what made A Clockwork Orange so good was that it was slow for the most part, which put more emphasis on the more important scenes, like the Singin' in the Rain scene or Alex's brainwashing.

It reminded me a lot of Tarantino's style, then again, he probably got it from watching Kubrick.

I tried watching 2001 a few nights ago, and I'll try again tonight...but for the love of God...20 minutes of monkey's jumping around? WTF?

I really WILL finish it first though before I make any opinion of it.

As for Spartacus...God that movie was long, but it WAS really good.

Any website that gives Steven Spielberg a "score" of 9.8, M. Night Shyamalan a 8.7 and Martin Scorsese a 7.8 isn't worth reading. The fact that Shyamalan's arrogant, pretentious mugshot is featured at the top of the page is a red flag right off the bat.

They're philistines. Case closed.

If you really need more evidence than that, here are some other directors who scored higher than Marty:

Quentin Tarantino, 8.5
Ridley Scott, 8.4
David Fincher, 8.4
George Lucas, 7.9
Tim Burton, 8.4

I'm a huge fan of those first four, but are you fucking kidding me?

Last edited:
They've gone back and discussed their directors scores and how they're kicking themselves for underrating Scorcese and Mann and overrating Shyamalan.

I may not agree with the rankings either, but their podcast is enjoyable to listen to, at least in my opinion.

No spoken words said:
The 3 you listed are all great,but, again, a lot of people think 2001 is too slow. I don't understand that, but, that's just me. Maybe they see space and expect crazy battles and such.

I remember watching 2001 when I was a kid and being bored to tears...

It took several years to really gain an appreciation for it as a piece of art as well as a movie.

I think three portions of the film can be blamed for boring those with low attention spans. A friend of mine who likes such illustrious titles as "Dude, Where's My Car" and "Soul Plane" ( :yuck: ) sums it up pretty good IMO:

1. The beginning - 30 minutes of monkeys, WTF?
2. The extended space scenes with no music - Why was it just that guy breathing? Where was the music and the explosions?
3. The ending - What the fuck just happened?

bono_212 said:
I tried watching 2001 a few nights ago, and I'll try again tonight...but for the love of God...20 minutes of monkey's jumping around? WTF?

As for Spartacus...God that movie was long, but it WAS really good.

The 20 minutes of "Monkeys jumping around" has a point, actually. That whole scene sets up the rest of the movie.

bono_212 said:

2001 is an experience that only works if you give yourself to the film. It is sort of a symbiotic relationship in which the movie takes you somewhere only if you open yourself up. It's the pause, the revelation that makes the film timeless. It is the will towards discovery that drives mankind to Jupiter and beyond. The viewer has to have that will to go out there.

Oh hi, I'm bored enough to do this now. :happy:

If we are going for our favorite movies and not the greatest we've ever seen, then this list is going to look slightly :crack:.

25. Children of Men (The Prestige should really be here, but since I've only seen it twice it wouldn't be fair to call it a favorite...)
24. A Christmas Story
23. American History X
22. Goodfellas
21. Reservoir Dogs
20. The Great Dictator
19. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
18. Crash (2004)
17. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
16. Mrs. Doubtfire
15. The Wizard of Oz
14. Death to Smoochy
13. American Beauty
12. Jurassic Park
11. V for Vendetta
10. Dogma
9. Shaun of the Dead
8. V for Vendetta
7. The Lion King
6. Back To The Future
5. Forrest Gump
4. The Breakfast Club
3. Red Dragon
2. Schindler's List
1. The Shawshank Redemption

Make sure we do a Greatest list one day too. I want to be able to include stuff like A Clockwork Orange and Life is Beautiful in a list.

Pla, you must really like V for Vandetta... :wink:

Screwtape2 said:

2001 is an experience that only works if you give yourself to the film. It is sort of a symbiotic relationship in which the movie takes you somewhere only if you open yourself up. It's the pause, the revelation that makes the film timeless. It is the will towards discovery that drives mankind to Jupiter and beyond. The viewer has to have that will to go out there.

:yes:

It helps to see it in a Theatre as well :up:

Epic movies like 2001, Lawrence Of Arabia, Bridge Over The River Kwai, etc lose something on the small screen...

I need to watch 2001 again. I saw it for the first time a few years ago and I really didn't have the patience for it. I understand why it's great...but it felt like too much for me.
I also have Barry Lyndon on dvd...the sets and costumes (and the soundtrack) are amazing, but it's another one of those movies I can't watch unless i'm in the right mood.

My favourite Kubrick film is definitely A Clockwork Orange, saw it for the first time when I was 13...can't say I loved it at first but I knew it was something special...after watching it a couple of times I really got into it and now I love it.

Dr. Strangelove is great too. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

PlaTheGreat said:
Make sure we do a Greatest list one day too. I want to be able to include stuff like A Clockwork Orange and Life is Beautiful in a list.

The Greatest series will come after the Favorites series, don't worry. Great list, too :up:

I think the 2001 book came after the movie or was written during the making of the movie. I'll definitely read it after I see the movie though.

Hard time differing between "favorites" and "greatest", as I don't have many guilty pleasures, and really enjoy films that some think are a bit dry. But here goes:

1. Apocalypse Now (Coppola)
2. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
3. Reds (Beatty)
4. The English Patient (Minghella)
5. Three Colors Trilogy (Kieslowski)
6. Touch of Evil (Welles)
7. Once Upon a Time in America (Leone)
8. Stardust Memories (Allen)
9. Days of Heaven (Malick)
10. Barton Fink (Coen Bros)
11. Last Tango in Paris (Bertolucci)
12. Spirited Away (Miyazaki)
13. The Big Sleep (Hawks)
14. Once Upon a Time in the West (Leone)
15. The Third Man (Reed)
16. Annie Hall (Allen)
17. Bringing Up Baby (Hawks)
18. Citizen Kane (Welles)
19. The Conformist (Bertolucci)
20. Taxi Driver (Scorsese)
21. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Miyazaki)
22. Days of Being Wild (Wong)
23. The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (Sturges)
24. eXistenZ (Cronenberg)
25. Gangs of New York (Scorsese)

did anyone include There's Something About Mary :shrug:

Just saw some of Forrest Gump again tonight. Very good. Don't know if I need to adjust da list

Back
Top Bottom