In need of some creative inspiration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miricale_Drug

War Child
Hi, i'll just set the scene for you first:

Im doing a music technology AS Level, and have to do a remix of a song that is 'quite diffrent' from the original. Obviously i want to do a U2 song as i 'care' about their music more but i can't decide what to do.

I was thinking of something like an orchestral arrangment of Staring at the Sun.

Does anyone have any other realistic ideas? This will all hopefully be sequenced to a high level, and when it is finished, a few months down the line, i will be happy to post it here

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me....the Tuba version

but seriously now...

I like the idea of a song like Staring at the Sun with an orchestra (unless you go in to muzak territory)

When you say remix, do you mean adding layers to an already recorded song, or rerecording a U2 song on your own?

As a DJ myself, I have heard many a mix done by (insert name here) person, so it is nothing new.
There have been a few orchestral versions of U2 songs done also. CD´s of those musical pieces are available to buy if you check out amazon.com.

Now if you are willing to do a piece of staring at the sun, try to re-mix that song in a differente beat. Perhaps doing it in a reaggae version. Listen to some reaggae drum-beats, listen to how some are mellow and quite catchy. Personally I am not into reaggae that much, but if you are willing to try something really differente then that would be the way to go. Listen to that song "babe, I love your way" the newer reaggae version that also as a sax part in it and some orchestral arrangements. Sounds pretty cool to mix with "staring at the sun".
Another idea is for you to get and listen closely to all of U2 mixes already done before and available to download from the internet, such as the melon mixes (papaya mixes/grape mixes/etc. etc. ) I do have them all plus a few extremely rare pieces. And from there you can get an idea.

BUT if you are into writing music yourself for this piece, then by all means, go for it. Do a beethoven/wagner style composition using "Staring at the Sun" as the main melody being the violin chords and fo rthe whole symphony. :up:

Good luck.

Ok sorry if i was being a bit vague:

My own musical ability is (ABRSM) grade 8 at both church organ and on the theory. (I've no idea if that makes any sense to non-english people on here, sorry)

The college i am at has samples of all orchestral instruments complete scales. They are then used as the 'data banks' and you play it in on a keyboard if that makes sense at all.

So it will sound 'real' but in reality will be totally sampled. The only original thing that can be used is the vocal line or a guitar solo. I plan on using Bono's voice.

Miricale_Drug said:
Ok sorry if i was being a bit vague:

My own musical ability is (ABRSM) grade 8 at both church organ and on the theory. (I've no idea if that makes any sense to non-english people on here, sorry)

The college i am at has samples of all orchestral instruments complete scales. They are then used as the 'data banks' and you play it in on a keyboard if that makes sense at all.

So it will sound 'real' but in reality will be totally sampled. The only original thing that can be used is the vocal line or a guitar solo. I plan on using Bono's voice.

That´s great :up:
By all means do a special remix of that song. Record it and pass it on the internet to us here. There are NO better critics about a new U2 remix (or song) than everyone here.
Well, at least you will get an HONEST comment and constructive criticism.
Go for it brother :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom