I'm not going to see U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoveTown

Refugee
didn't even try for tix...not going to either. I wonder if my fan days are over. I kinda hope not, it's been a huge part of my life for 17 years, my whole adult life plus a large portion of my childhood....I'm kinda scared to let it go....blah

ok, so I likely came off as a freak there. I guess I just have loved U2 so long that I don't want to talk away from them. But, you know, I don't feel the same way I did about them the last time they went on tour.

I'm glad Im not the only one....oh and re-reading my post up there I meant to say "walk away" from them...stupid typos grrrrrr

yeah i guess. i just wasn't too thrilled with all that you can't leave behind AT ALL...and the last album was better but i guess it didn't really make up for lost time? i saw them for popmart (i'm wearing my popmart shirt ironically) and i sorta had the opportunity to see them during elevation, but i just didn't see the point in making the trip. and unless they played here in my town, i don't think i'd travel for them.

i'd travel for duran duran (in fact i am), but i wouldn't travel for U2. i still listen to their stuff from boy to pop, but i just kinda almost pretend the last two albums don't exist. i remember what a big part of my life they used to be and i just don't feel the same way about them anymore. it's like a relationship that ended and you look back and you can't reconnect with the person because you don't feel that spark anymore.

exactly! Well I still loved them madly last tour but I have a bad memory attached to it and my life got flipped upside down at that time so I walked away from everything that I knew. Now I can't seem to get the spark for U2 back.

ahh that sucks. :(

in my case, i remember the day the album came out. i went after school to go get it. and i remember listening to it and just being very unimpressed. i didn't listen to it for over a year. then i pulled it out at work and though, "maybe i gave it a bum rap. i'll listen to it again, and i'll force myself to listen to the whole thing before i write it off." so i listened without prejudice and still didn't like it. i think altogether i've listened to it three times start to finish. i've listened to parts a bit more, but still not as much as, say, even october.

i think i've only listened to atomic bomb about 10 times.

Im that way with atomic bomb, I've listened maybe 5 times and I dont really have any interest in listening to it again.

Oh and thanks for the congrats on post 700, I missed your comment on it earlier.

I had waaaaay over 1000 posts when I got banned from here. When I came back they were all deleted lol.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i'd travel for duran duran (in fact i am), but i wouldn't travel for U2

Mind-boggling.

Yeah, "The Reflex" , that's such a brilliant and subtle song, and that Simon LeBon, he's such a really great singer and song writer and lyricist. And then, of course, there's what's their names, the drummer and bass player.
And wasn't there some really genius guitarist in Duran Duran? You know, the one with the remarkably distinctive style? ....No, I guess there wasn't.

What the hell are you talking about??!!

Of course, surely you're joking?:wink: (Please say you are)

I saw Duran Duran 200 years ago. Brilliant. Really good. The audience was a sea of pink harem pants which was kinda creepy but the concert was excellent.

PS The Reflex sucks. I hate that song. That was the first Duran Duran song I didn't like. I cried when it was released. I was mortally betrayed by those bastards for releasing that crap. lol.

heh, lovetown and khanada sound like where I was with Zooropa. it's kind of eerie to see you guys saying the same things I was, what 12 years ago now?
I only "came back" to U2, found the spark again, over the last few years... maybe you guys will too with some time away.
It took me from Zooropa to the release of Electrical Storm...and I missed literally everything in between. Never bought Pop, never bought ATYCLB (until recently), had totally given up on them. Never thought I'd be back, either. Sure as HELL never thought I'd bother with seeing them live.

But here I am, head over heels again. I can't explain it... I can only tell you, don't assume it's gone, if you walk away now... something may come along and blow that little spark back to life again in you.

I hope you are right wolfden. I've spent a whole lot of my life loving U2 and I really don't want it to be gone forever.

I am sorry to hear that some of you are feeling the way you are. I must say that I CAN NOT relate to your disappointment with HTDAAB because I LOVE that album....
However, if you really think you have approached the moment of walking away from U2, I wish you lots of fun in enjoying other music (whatever it may turn out to be).

U2 are playing in Denmark, but honestly then i dont care if i see them or not. Atleast i wont be standing in line for tickets the first few days,, I am ok with my albums and bootlegs :wink: been a fan for 14 years ( 29 years old ) but just not the big concert fan anymore.

And i am not a big Duran duran fan, but still i think they are cool.. I grabbed and kissed the first girl to RIO, and had the most embarrasing experience with a girl while Ordinary world was playing in the back, hehehehe,, So i guess Duran duran and me have history.. Damn catchy songs :wink:

I will get my Vertigo concert experience from the stories, pics, bootlegs and from the official DVD.

My hairdresser and I both ripped apart the latest album yesterday. We have U2 been fans for 20+ years and cannot stand this cd.

I honestly think what killed my love for U2 was the fact that I read way too much about the new cd on the internet. For me I can say that the internet killed the radio star. And because of this I am going to stop doing this (this would be reading up on new material before it is out) for other bands and musicians that I enjoy.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

I honestly think what killed my love for U2 was the fact that I read way too much about the new cd on the internet. For me I can say that the internet killed the radio star. And because of this I am going to stop doing this (this would be reading up on new material before it is out) for other bands and musicians that I enjoy.

What killed my excitment of the new album was reading reviews online and downloading the leaked songs (my fault, I chose to read it). :uhoh:

I won't be going to see U2 either. I think over the past year I have come to the conclusion that U2 are a lot more interested in making lots of money and I think I really started to think that was just after Christmas I went to Dublin for the day and you could buy a copy of HTDAAB in The Clarence. I just thought that was really squeezing money out of fans. That subscription thing, I feel, was also a way to really screw over the most loyal fans. This is all my own opinon though and I could be completely wrong, it's just how I see it. I didn't even try for tickets so I'm not bitter about the presale thing crashing. I believe U2 are selling out and ripping off their fans, I wouldn't shop in a clothes shop that provided a poor service or didn't treat their customers with respect, therefore I will no longer throw money at U2. I will still continue to enjoy their music though, I've never said that U2 aren't a great band and have produced some great music. I don't understand why this place is full of such hypocrites though, so many people are complaining and complaining saying they hate U2 and they have completely sold out but bought tickets anyway. I'd prefer tickets I may have bought goes to a fan who was as excited as I was when I seen U2 in 2001 not someone really bitter. I stick by what I think though, I don't go back on my opinon on something (even if it is completely wrong).

I can't wait until my classes start again, I've spent the last week watching this drama onfold on Interference :laugh: I've no life :reject:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

I love HTDAAB but I think I would have loved it a lot more if I haden't read the descriptions of the songs and listened to those bad clips. Next album I won't do this.

I won't bee seeing U2 either but that's not even my choice.... :sad:

I haven't gone to shows on every single tour myself, if I had, I'd probably be burned out. There's a 50/50 chance of me going to a show as I'm also planning a trip to Istanbul, I'm going to a travel show in just a bit. I'll have fun either way.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

I read about a "scientific" study once regarding MTV and music videos. Essentialy it said if you listen to a song on your own accord, you create your own images and meaning that last longer than if you only know the song through a video (someone else's visuals). This has been true with me and definitely affects me even just reading about the songs before hearing them.

You guys are my heroes for admitting ATYCLB is not so great! I have felt very disappointed by it and I think I knew too much about it and now I feel the same way about HTDAAB. The songs that I didn't read anything about are the only ones I like still (Man and Woman, Vertigo). Wow...strangely feels good to get that off my chest!!

So I'm with you, Iris. No more of this pre-release, pre-listening beforehand-knowledge! I don't even want to see anything about the tour until I go. (should say, IF I get tickets) Never again!!

As of right now, I have no tickets for Legs 1 or 2, nor do I have plans to obtain them.

Maybe I'm getting older, but I work hard, and I need a vacation, and flying around the country (not even my own, as there's only one show there, lol) to sit in a GA lineup isn't my idea of a relaxing time. So I'll take a couple of weeks off in May, go on a real vacation, not worry about tickets and forums and setlists and God knows what. I just can't take all my vacation time and money and spend it on U2 shows. A few years ago, I would have, but I don't really feel like doing it and I don't think I should justify it at this point either.

Who knows what will happen on the third leg. If things are fair, they will play several shows in Toronto. Since I live here, it's no expense save for tickets for me to go and I'll do so. But that will probably be it.

I'm kind of disillusioned with the whole thing myself. There was such a magic prior to the Elevation Tour. Now, I don't really feel it like I did back then. Now it feels more stressful about tickets, the fanclub IMO is a total disaster after what I've been through with them, and all of that is just wearing me down. And I don't think this album is great, nor have I really listened to it after its release.

Back
Top Bottom