If God Will Send His Angels: Single vs Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Which version do you prefer? I'm really torn. I don't mind the rearrangement of the verses. What I'm torn on is the last minute of the song. I like the lyrics better in the single version - 'and I don't want to promise/'cause I don't wanna lie/just know that I need you/I need you tonight', but I love the longer sublime outro of the album version.

What do you think?

I like the single version better, for the reason you stated: the lyrics are better.

i still like the album version though.

Sheesh, namkuR, seems like we do agree on some things :huh:

Since I only recently discovered IGWSHA had an album version ( I don't know where I was during POP) and I've been listening to it off my City of Angels soundtrack for the last however many years...that's the one I'm familiar with and love. I recently acquired POP and noticed the differences right away, like I did with Gone & Discoteque on the Best of..I like the Best of version better as of now. Need more time to get to know POP...

Single Version for me

I think the album version peaks too early, and i lose interest because of the long outro, i used to love it, but not anymore...

While the falsetto and Edge backing on the single version is awesome for me atleast

Considering the outro is one of my favorite moments on POP and one of U2's best song-endings, I'm going to go with the album version. The way all the instruments whoosh out and that trip hop beat comes in and fades. It's awesome. But personally, I don't think ANY single version is a noticeable improvement of an album version, unless we're talking about the live version of Bad. They always seem to lose something that made the original great.

I like the pop version more. The only song that i like the single version more than the pop version is gone.

As for IGWSHA, I lean toward the single version for this one too. It just flows much better, in my opinion.

Now that I think of it, the only song where I prefer the album version (in the event another version exists) is Staring At The Sun. I like the new mix of Gone, and I go for the single versions of Discotheque, Last Night On Earth, and Please (if I had to choose one or the other, that is).

phanan said:
As for IGWSHA, I lean toward the single version for this one too. It just flows much better, in my opinion.

Now that I think of it, the only song where I prefer the album version (in the event another version exists) is Staring At The Sun. I like the new mix of Gone, and I go for the single versions of Discotheque, Last Night On Earth, and Please (if I had to choose one or the other, that is).

Pop Discotheque > Best Of Discotheque
Pop If God = Single If God
Pop Staring > Best Of Staring
Pop Last Night > Single Last Night
Pop Gone > Best Of Gone
Pop Please < Single Please

Wow.... :eek: What are the odds??? I was gonna start a thread about this exact same topic a couple of days back! The thing is I had just watched the IGWSHA video after a looooooong time and was comparing it with the album version. And I have to say that I prefer the album version despite the slow opening and the mediocre production. It still had a very prominent bass line which is lost in the mix of the album version. And the single version is edited too, doesn't have all the verses. So album version it is! :up:

Zootlesque said:
Wow.... :eek: What are the odds??? I was gonna start a thread about this exact same topic a couple of days back! The thing is I had just watched the IGWSHA video after a looooooong time and was comparing it with the album version. And I have to say that I prefer the album version despite the slow opening and the mediocre production. It still had a very prominent bass line which is lost in the mix of the album version. And the single version is edited too, doesn't have all the verses. So album version it is! :up:

Do you like the extended trip-hoppy outro?

namkcuR said:

Even Please?

I don't appreciate the addition of the strings, and while the guitar part before "September..." is funkier on the single/live version, I feel that Larry sounds a bit neutered on this song compared to the album version, where the drums are just so tight. You feel the tension that this song is addressing.

I also think Adam sounds better as well on the original recording.

Not to get snotty or anything, but sometimes I get the feeling that if U2 rerecords anything, there's a segment of fans who automatically think it must be some kind of improvement.

I prefer to believe that the band's original instincts are usually their best.

lazarus said:

I don't appreciate the addition of the strings, and while the guitar part before "September..." is funkier on the single/live version, I feel that Larry sounds a bit neutered on this song compared to the album version, where the drums are just so tight. You feel the tension that this song is addressing.

I also think Adam sounds better as well on the original recording.

Not to get snotty or anything, but sometimes I get the feeling that if U2 rerecords anything, there's a segment of fans who automatically think it must be some kind of improvement.

I prefer to believe that the band's original instincts are usually their best.

Most of the time their original instincts are their best, but you don't appreciate the :drool: - inducing guitar solo in the single version?

I prefer the PoP version... I got used to it :shrug:

And I really prefer the single version of Please (takes the song to 'another place') and even more the best.of version of Gone. It sounds much better.

But the best.of version of Staring at the sun really sucks. Probably because like IGWSHA I got used to the PoP version.

I don't think there is so much difference between the album and the single version of Discotheque. Now the radio edit, that one is noticeable different.

The intro is better in the single version and Bono's last verse is touching, but the big swoosh with Adam & Larry kicking in then the horns. Love that. So I have to go with album version. Song brings back so many memories :sad:

Aardvark747 said:
Single wins every time for me.

In fact, just thinking about it - the single as a WHOLE is just superb!

The best version of the song itself,

One of my fave b-sides ever is included (2 Shots....)

The Willie Nelson 'Slow Dancing' is just...:drool:

And the Edge SBS solo is a lovely highlight from the Popmart tour to have.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom