I was expecting "All Because Of You" to get a better recognition...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
It's a great song, and when I hear it live, I want to imagine that people are going nuts while U2 is playing this, and Edge playing the beginning, it gets cheers...

Is this true?

The show I went to (Chicago 1) people got pretty excited to hear it. Really a great song live. I do think the crowd gets excited because its the start of the 2nd encore.

Bleh. All I can say.
It's the greatest problem I have with Bomb. Empty lyrics, boring song.

If I could I'd throw it off the set forever.
But then again it's U2 live, and I don't care if they played The Refugee 20 times in a row. It's still gonna rock.

I really love "All Because of You." One of my favorites on the album. It comes off as a dumb rock song--that first note, the gruff guitar underscoring the chimey one, the double-tracked vocal, the we-don't-know-where-we're-going-but-let's-get-there-fast rhythm--and then the middle part--with Bono's wails, the little breakdown, Edge's solo with the steady drumbeat--comes out of nowhere and gives you the impression there's more to the song than you thought. Then "I'm aliiiiive..."

The lyrics are great too; very direct, lots of gutteral consonants and simple imagery (interesting rhyme scheme too: AAAB CCCB), but there's obviously some symbolism hidden there (and some memorable lines like "I like the sound of my own voice" and "I'm not broke but you can see the cracks").

It's nice to hear the band rock out without reservations ("Are You Gonna Wait Forever?" also wins some points in this regard). This song is so much more convincingly raw than "Electrical Storm" ever could be. Hell, most of the nineties stuff was meticulously arranged and immaculately produced; it's rare to hear the band this loud and raw. It's about the only song on the album that delivers on Bono's promise of a real rock album. You really get a sense of four guys in a room playing (despite the overdubs).

And it sounds surprisingly good live. I think it works well at the end of the set because it's a song Bono really has to work at. So it's at the end of the show, where he's ready to give it one last burst. The more prominent Edge harmonies work for it too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom