I was bored....(Bono/Ali related)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have testdriven three pieces of EDUN clothing and I don't regret a dime that I've paid for the items!

Once you try EDUN, you really don't want to go back. :wink:

We should start a members or EDUN fans section on the site. Personally, I love EDUN but I think the models suck. They all look emaciated and hollow so ladies, feel free to send me some hot pics of yourselves in EDUN! I've yet to see it on anyone but Ali and those pretzel-stick models...

kellyahern said:

:hug:

Thank you for all your hard work :bow:

The site looks beautiful :hyper:

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. But really you guys, if there's anything I should change, please feel free to say it! Sometimes I get too caught up w/ the details of the coding and miss big-picture things that are really obvious. I want it to be our site, not mine. :hug:

The site is looking really great! Thanks so much. I love the Bono-mullett photo there proving Ali's point!

I do agree with u2girlcj that it might be a good idea to have a section devoted to Bono & Ali. It is through Bono that most of us became familiar with Ali and it is in many ways because of Bono that Ali has been able to accomplish so much in her charitable work. Plus, maybe the articles you mentioned earlier that are primarily about Bono but mention Ali could go there. I love when Bono speaks about Ali during interviews or when people relate Bono-Ali anecdotes and I'd like to see those articles (or the Ali-related excerpts from them) included somewhere on the Ali site.

Bono, Ali and Rogan's Socially Conscious Clothing Debuts at Barneys

Fashion Wire Daily, May 23, 2005

Imani Powell

"I don't know very much about fashion," confessed Ali Hewson, the wife of Irish rock star Bono, and a third of the team behind Edun (nude spelled backwards, pronounced Eden, like the garden) to a crowd of mimosa sipping fashionistas on Sunday afternoon during the Edun Fall 2005 trunk show held at Barneys Women's CO-OP on Madison Avenue in New York. "But what I do know is that when I buy clothes for my children, I don't want them to be made by other people's children; I don't want them to be made from someone else's despair." Which is why she teamed up with her husband and denim whiz Rogan to create a line of socially conscious threads that are all about respect for the people who make them. "It's a simple idea," adds Hewson.

The line of super chic duds include designer denim, carefully crafted cords, cotton shirts, blouses and tees made of natural materials such as cotton and hemp, and gorgeous blazers for girls and blokes. The collection is embellished with delicate details such as the Edun logo's signature floral motif, poems by Rainer Maria Rilke or heart-shaped mother of pearl buttons, all crafted with love under the best possible fair-labor factory conditions in the developing world. Each item speaks volumes, whether proudly displaying "made in Peru" or featuring the slogan "shopping is politics" -- personal touches that remind the consumer of their social responsibility towards positive change and to spend their money where it counts.

"We expect the world to change dramatically, but most of the time the world is changed for the better in tiny steps," Bono explained to the crowd behind tinted lenses after having apologized for any apparent fatigue (U2 played Madison Square Garden the night before). "People are thinking more about where they spend their money and what they spend it on, they're picking up an item of clothing and asking where was this made? Who made it? How was this made? And this is how the world changes, in tiny, tiny, steps."

Having spent a lot of time in Africa, Bono shared that the "credible, noble, dignified people of the developing world want less of our aid, and more of our trade, they want to do business with us, I think that's the American way and I think that we should do very well out of it."

After the applause died down, he insisted: "Just one last thing, my darling wife said that the only way she would get involved in this project is if I didn't have anything to do with the fashion!"

No worries. Ali and Rogan have managed to create a p.c. line without skimping on design, quality or fit.

"It's amazing!" Julie Gilhart, Fashion Director of Barneys told Fashion Wire Daily. "I mean it's fashion, it's stylish, it's all of the things that our customers want to wear and it's also helping to create trade in places where people need to work. We all have to have a conscious, and it's good to be able to buy things that you can actually wear that support that cause."

Finally, a very humble Rogan thanked Barneys for their continued support and Ali and Bono for the opportunity to collaborate on the venture.

"It's a privilege to work with these guys on a project that can positively impact the world," Rogan told observers while encouraging all to pick up a signature Edun tee, as a percentage of the proceeds would go to building a well for schoolchildren in Lesotho. "There's a million different ways to do things with a conscience and there's a lot more to do, a lot more to learn."

3908.jpg

'Shut Sellafield campaign is election issue'

ADVERTISEMENT

ALI: Delivers card to No 10

Ali Hewson challenges political parties and battles with UK energy minister

THE Shut Sellafield group is now set to challenge political parties to make the issue a central part of their General Election agendas, it emerged last night.

Buoyed by the success of the protest campaign which saw more than 1.5m postcards posted to 10, Downing Street, and also to Prince Charles the aim is now to keep the momentum going in Ireland in the run-up to voting day on May 17.

Last night, Ali Hewson who hand-delivered her own postcard to Tony Blair's residence described the reaction to the campaign as "incredible". She told the Sunday Independent: "It goes to show how strongly Irish people feel about the issue and the dangers of Sellafield."

The result has been particularly rewarding because the Broadcasting Act meant that the campaign could not be promoted on radio or TV.

Ms Hewson said: "If more than 1.5 million people in Ireland have called on the British government to shut down Sellafield, it is a challenge to Irish political parties to make sure they make it an election issue."

Ms Hewson also strongly dismissed a claim by British energy minister Brian Wilson that the campaigners were "emotive" about the issue.

She said: "If he is saying we are emotional about about the health and safety of our children, then yes, we are guilty. Our feelings and worries are based on real concerns."

Bono's wife also accused the British minister of being "pedantic" for saying she had admitted she realised Sellafield could not be closed down.

She said: "We want the reprocessing activities stopped. We want them to stop bringing nuclear waste there from all over the world."

In a statement, Mr Wilson declared: "The most irresponsible thing that anyone could do with Sellafield would be to shut it down."

He added: "The shared interest of the British and Irish peoples is that Sellafield should be run to the highest standards of safety and regulation."

The Shut Sellafield postcards delivered to 10 Downing Street bore an image of a human eye beside the words: "Tony, look me in the eye and tell me I'm safe."

Ms Hewson said after delivering her card: "A report commissioned by the European Parliament has said Sellafield has the potential to be 80 times more hazardous than Chernobyl. We are taking all the risks and yet we do not have a say in this."

Meanwhile, several hundred postcards with an image of a radioactive shamrock had arrived at St James's Palace, a spokeswoman confirmed.

However, the palace said Prince Charles would not be commenting on the campaign as it was a political matter.

219385.jpg

The Hewsons’ Wedded Bliss
Behind every successful man is a good woman, and that’s a saying that’s especially true in the case of Bono and his missus Ali.

The couple, parents of four children, has been married for 23 years, and in a rare interview Ali, 42, shared the secrets of her wedded bliss.

“Our marriage has worked because we like each other, because we talk to each other and we are passionate about what we do. We allow each other to pursue our goals,” she told the London Evening Standard.

Ali Hewson — she uses her married surname — is quite a force to be reckoned with in her own right. She co-founded the Chernobyl Children’s Project which has done amazing work helping the youngest victims of the horrific Ukraine nuclear disaster in 1986. And she’s now in the process of creating her own clothing line which will be made in accordance with ethical labor practices.

Her Edun clothing brand won’t be anything like the Kathie Lee goods at Wal-Mart. Ali will personally inspect every factory that they’re made in, and if there’s any mistreatment of workers then heads will roll for sure.

“I’ve never been interested in fashion, but when Bono came back from Africa about three years ago he had seen how many garment factories were being closed down.”

Edun will be available for sale at the Selfridge’s chain of department stores in the U.K., and no doubt they’ll make their way Stateside in the near future. It wouldn’t be surprising to see Bono wear the threads during U2’s upcoming “Vertigo” tour, either.

Speaking of the four Hewson children — Jordan, 15, Eve, 13, Elijah, 5 and John, 3 — Ali says she and her husband make every effort to keep them as “normal” as possible, despite their dad’s huge fame.

“We have taken them to the townships in South Africa. And although they have much more than Bono and I did growing up — Bono’s dad was in the postal service and my mum and dad had an electrical business — we don’t spoil them,” Ali says.

Ali and the kids will hit the road on the “Vertigo” tour with their dad, tutors in tow. Jordan has taken a shine to the piano, Ali says, while Eve is pretty good at banging the drums.

When Bono’s away from home, Ali says he’s always on the phone. And there’s always plenty to talk about.

“Even at school, Bono and I would talk about what’s wrong with the world,” Ali says. “We grew up hearing about famine. It’s part of being Irish.”

thehew20.jpg

Zootomic said:
The site is looking really great! Thanks so much. I love the Bono-mullett photo there proving Ali's point!

I do agree with u2girlcj that it might be a good idea to have a section devoted to Bono & Ali. It is through Bono that most of us became familiar with Ali and it is in many ways because of Bono that Ali has been able to accomplish so much in her charitable work.

I haven't decided about this yet b/c myself, I love the idea and I love reading Bono/Ali articles and seeing pics of them together...but at the same time from the articles I'm reading and radio interviews I've recorded I feel this vibe coming from Ali that to constantly be lumped together w/ Bono is annoying to her. For example, I was listening to one interview the other day and they were discussing how the Shut Sellafield postcard campaign was really catching on and the interviewer says, "but are they doing it b/c it's YOU, Ali?" (as in, b/c you're Bono's wife and he's more popular) and you can tell by the tone of Ali's voice that she is less than pleased and says something like, "no, they're doing it b/c they care and this is an important issue."

So....I dunno. :huh:

So what do their women think of all this male bonding? (Bono's relationship with Gavin and Guggi)

'You know, last year, Bono's wife Ali told me what our big problem is. She says we love each other too much. I thought she was jealous, she had a few drinks on her. But later I thought: maybe she's right.'

"Irish women are very informed and very vocal," Bono says, before releasing his chesty laugh again. "And I should know, because I'm living with one, and it's hard to keep up."

this is my song and dance....I'm DONE sorting through Kelly's pics! (and she has THOUSANDS of them in 4 albums). I'm done I'm done I'm doooooone, done done, I'm doneI'mdoneI'mdone!!!!!

:dance:

Now I can do my real homework :|

Haha.....I'm back at sorting again, this time sorting what I saved...sorting it further to weed out duplicates and watermarks....

It was a related thread! I clicked it! I didn't know! I DIDN'T KNOW!!!

wait. is it illegal for me to post in here? I mean, do you have to be in the "club" of PLEBANS? This has always confused me. Maybe I'll stay...:shifty:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom