I knew there was something I had to do.... sechs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ultraviolet Light said:

Too bad no one around here sells dress clothes that aren't either super expensive or "look, I clearly got these dress clothes at old navy!"

Target or Wal-Mart?

I've gotten quite a number of fairly cheap-but-not-cheap-looking shirts and pants at Target for work... they have the Isaac Mizrahi collection there now too :up:

kellyahern said:

:yes:

I think we're in the last row (my sister wanted to see if there were any tickets left and there were :) )

YAY! I know a few people who are going :) One of the girls I work with is going and some of my friends I actually met at the Coldplay concert in WPB last year are going... This is going to rock so much! :D

so.

if you're interested in seeing my bellydance performance from friday, you can download it here:

https://transfer.med.yale.edu/upload/data/5hdP05Z5yWMOIyf9qjw3Ty9r4O10y9p65wweXyf2/

We're really not very good, but whatever. It's fun.

I'm the tubby girl who's not showing her belly 'cause you don't wanna see that. :wink:
girl in green skirt is my friend keelin who I spend a good bit of time with, and really pale girl who looks like she's wearing a bra is our teacher. So if you want to know what it's SUPPOSED to look like, you can look at her.

other than that... not a lot of news.
I agree about trying Target, Ellen.

thanks! that's nice to hear after getting heckled at our first performance :madspit:

news of the day today:
Kristie's first scuba diving class! Woohoo!
Scuba diving class costs a lot more than it said on the list of PE classes... well, it said $165 plus fees/books, so I expected it to. But still. It ended up being $160 plus $50 book plus $70 for the open water dives required to get certified, plus you have to go buy your own mask/fins/snorkel/booties. Ah well. I spent 2 hours learning about how diving can kill you and different kinds of equipment you can buy, and then 2 hours swimming around the pool doing all these swimming and diving tests to make sure we're competent swimmers. I'm a competent swimmer, but the big problem I had is... I can't get out of the pool. I'm also the only person who can't get out of the pool. There's no ladder and no pool floor that I can reach anywhere to jump off of and the ledge is about a foot and a half up above the surface of the water and I just can't haul my big ole booty up that high. So, that was slightly embarassing, and means push-ups are now on the list.
I guess that's it for that.

I saw a news article about a snake and a rat that was supposed to be its dinner making friends in Japan. They're cagemates now. Craziness!

Kristie said:

I saw a news article about a snake and a rat that was supposed to be its dinner making friends in Japan. They're cagemates now. Craziness!

Is it evil that I think the snake is going to cave one day and eat the hamster? Can't last forever :evil: :reject:.

I wish I didn't have to wear glasses. I want to go snokeling, but then I'd have to pay $$$ to get a prescription dive mask :(.

Kristie said:
thanks! that's nice to hear after getting heckled at our first performance :madspit:

I'll heckle them! Bring it, hecklers! :mad:

And yay for scuba diving! I've always wanted to do that...

random fact: I was planning on being a marine biologist. :)

fact related to the random fact and thusly not quite so random: SeaQuest DSV is one of my favorite tv shows of all time... it was on SciFi at the end of December and I taped all of the episodes. But I keep eyeing the season 1 dvd at Best Buy :wink:

:up: Kristie :up:

So I went to Target and Old Navy and they were like "here, wear this, you're a square, right?" And I was like "no. you suck."
And then I went to Gap and they were like "we re-named our pants styles, guess which ones were the ones you liked! muahaha!" And everyone was like "couldn't the people at the store tell you?" And I was like "probably, I'm dumb, I didn't think of that."

Also, I wanna go scuba diving!

kellyahern said:

Is it evil that I think the snake is going to cave one day and eat the hamster? Can't last forever :evil: :reject:.

I wish I didn't have to wear glasses. I want to go snokeling, but then I'd have to pay $$$ to get a prescription dive mask :(.

yeah, I felt fortunate about that... my vision's not perfect but it's good enough that I only really need glasses in class to see the board.

one of the guys that teaches our class has a prescription mask, they told us it only costs like $120.. which isn't cheap, but isn't really more than your standard pair of glasses.

kellyahern said:

I thought you guys were good :up: :yes:

yay! thanks!
I just wish we all weren't doing the exact same thing at the same time all for four counts. It makes me think of a 6th grade band concert, where no matter what they play it all sounds like a march.

hippy said:

I'll heckle them! Bring it, hecklers! :mad:

And yay for scuba diving! I've always wanted to do that...

random fact: I was planning on being a marine biologist. :)

fact related to the random fact and thusly not quite so random: SeaQuest DSV is one of my favorite tv shows of all time... it was on SciFi at the end of December and I taped all of the episodes. But I keep eyeing the season 1 dvd at Best Buy :wink:

I saw that on while I was on break and I said "wow, haven't seen that one on for a long time!"
I liked that show too but I didn't watch as much of it as I would have liked. I mean, it had a freaking talking dolphin!

I wanted to be a marine biologist too, until I found out that I'm not that thrilled by biology. I just wanted to swim around in the ocean with the dolphins. I figure underwater archaeology would be the next best thing :D

Hahahaa! Marine bio is pretty popular... until we all figured out we weren't that good at the whole "biology" thing...

It was actually the physics and math stuff that put me off... biology I like *dork*

AND TWIN.... I see from your away message that the Caribbean called! So....?!?!?!?!!? :D

hippy said:
Hahahaa! Marine bio is pretty popular... until we all figured out we weren't that good at the whole "biology" thing...

It was actually the physics and math stuff that put me off... biology I like *dork*

AND TWIN.... I see from your away message that the Caribbean called! So....?!?!?!?!!? :D

bio is one of the many topics that I only am interested in superficially. Once they start talking about exactly how mitochondria work, I start drifting off...

and YEAH THEY DID CALL!
I was going to write them their friendly reminder email tonight, but I was on the phone with dave and I got another call that was from "0101929754746282902983732981920" and I was like "DAVEITHINKTHETINYISLANDOFSTEUSTATIUSISCALLINGGOTTAGO"...

and promptly put the guy on hold because I know how to work my phone. Hehe, whoops.

So, the guy wants letters of reference... 2 from profs, which is fine, I can get them from the 2 people I took field school with, and 1 from a person I know personally that's not a family member, I guess to attest to my character? What the hell does that mean? Can I just go to class tomorrow and get a volunteer? Should I ask my old boss? I think I'm going to ask Tom (field school prof) about that part tomorrow, because I'm a little confused.
He also wants a writing sample and a statement of purpose. Inconvenient, but fine. I'm sure I can make a better impression in an SoP than I can over the phone. I'm a bad talker.
The only problem is, I'm not sure what I'd be doing... we got disconnected once and right before was when he was explaining it, but it was doing the two words at a time with static between thing, and I didn't want to interrupt every 5 seconds and go "WHAT?"
Best I can gather is that they want a world heritage nomination, and they want to verify how many wrecks are around the island... they think it's something like 200, but nobody's ever actually went in there to see. There was something about excavation and the Navy. So now I'm trying to think of a way to email him and ask if he can write it out for me even though he just told me without sounding like a doofus.

I'm worried, though! What if I sounded like an idiot on the phone? What if I'm not cool enough? But why wouldn't I be cool enough? I know my way around artifacts... I'm at Yale and I'm a free worker... granted I don't have any dive experience yet, but I'm enthusiastic! and I have a good bit of experience in terrestrial work. I'm a catch, really.
:crack:

I'm glad he called though, I was starting to get worried. He sounded kinda grumpy, but that was right off the bat, so it probably wasn't my fault, right? I mean, it was like 10pm his time... but I had just put him on hold...

hippy said:
I just submitted my last graduate school application :yikes:

Now the scary waiting thing to see if anyone will accept me... :|

I forgot how nerve wracking this whole process is...

uuuuggh
and the worst part is that some of them take MONTHS to get back to you
good luck, twin! :hug:

I bet it's nice to have all that crap done with though, at least.

OK, so today I started my fourth job, watching a 3 month old baby with bad gas and reflux. She gets very fussy after eating, and I figured out the only way to calm her is to talk to her in a high, sing-songey voice. The problem is I sound rediculous and my housemates think I'm insane. To make it worse, she loves Phil and he doesn't have to do anything but hold her and she just looks at him like :ohmy: and doesn't make a peep.

My recommendation letters JUST got processed.
Now I'm filling out applications but I don't trust online forms.

I got to play with dead people today!
They tell us to wash our hands afterword, but really, does a skull have germs? I don't think so. I think it's your friends don't get freaked out because the last thing you touched was a human skull. Fortunately all my friends also like dead people.

Lies - fourth job? What are the other three? I am impressed with your job and school balancing skills.

Kristie said:
I got to play with dead people today!
They tell us to wash our hands afterword, but really, does a skull have germs? I don't think so. I think it's your friends don't get freaked out because the last thing you touched was a human skull. Fortunately all my friends also like dead people.

:eyebrow:

Twin...

you're strange.

And that's why we love you! :hug:

Kristie said:

Lies - fourth job? What are the other three? I am impressed with your job and school balancing skills.

1. HelpDesk senior computer technician (phone, e-mail, and on-site support) 40 hrs during the summer and 10-20 during the school year

2. TA for Prof. Nyhoff - 6 sections of IDIS 110 (Research in Technology). I do everything but give the lectures.

3. ITC assistant - the "ITC" is the main computer lab on-campus. I sit at the desk and answer questions, fix printing issues (there are many), and turn off all the comps when it closes

4. the babysitting thing

(OMG! my number four key just fell off!!!)

aaaaaand I have a web design internship for Gymco Sports and the Business Alliance for Families. Plus the full-time student thing. This sucks :huh:

that's a lot of jobs!

I could have TA'd a class this semester, but since I had already signed up to take the class, I figured it probably wasn't a good idea. Plus I'd need to find a new class.
I think they call them TFs here:huh:

I get to play with dead people again tomorrow! :macdevil:
I think tomorrow we are learning about the wonderfully interesting small bones of the face. Yeehaw.
Though last week we learned about the vomer, which has the cutest name of any bone. Aww, vomer. It sounds like something you'd name your dog.

hey guys?
what ever happened to that moon colony?
'cause... I'm really starting to get pissed off with this planet.

s99_04189.jpg

Back
Top Bottom